*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,640 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
agproducer
AG
Scrubb threw that elevated curve effectively last year. That's part of his game plan. Usually pitches like that get crushed, but Scrubb throws his to clip the top of the zone. Hitters think it will be too high and they give up on it, yet with all the spin, it drops in.
tjack16
AG
Any update on attendance policy at MMP this season?
BigTuna357
The last I heard there were multiple options and they were going to take it month by month. Season ticket holders can (A.) keep their seats. (B.) Move to more socially distant sections. (C.) Skip out and get refunded for April. (D.) Donate April tickets to first responders. No word on capacity yet though.
tjack16
AG
BigTuna357 said:

The last I heard there were multiple options and they were going to take it month by month. Season ticket holders can (A.) keep their seats. (B.) Move to more socially distant sections. (C.) Skip out and get refunded for April. (D.) Donate April tickets to first responders. No word on capacity yet though.

That's what I'd heard too. Was wondering if they would put single game tickets on sale at some point, or what % capacity would be capped at
JJxvi
AG
Wow, we were talking about the changes being trialed in AA to restrict the shifting, but it looks like they are trying out radical stuff up and down the minors this year.

In AAA they are playing with bigger bases. In high A they are banning pickoffs from the rubber (so the pitcher has to step off and then throw). In one low A league they are limiting pickoffs to two unsuccessful throws per plate appearance (if you throw oever a third time and dont get an out, its a balk). In another low A league they are doing the electronic strike zone (home plate ump just signals the call).
JJxvi
AG
The number of pickoff throws limitation seems even worse rule than limiting where the defense plays IMO.
redline248
AG
JJxvi said:

The number of pickoff throws limitation is about a million times worse rule than limiting where the defense plays IMO.
Yeah, and I get it's an attempt to speed up the game, but ffs...

I once had a coach that told us when we threw over, if the runner dives back, throw again and to keep throwing over as long as dives back.

Plus, it's a lot of fun to yell and heckle the opposing pitcher that keeps throwing over.
JJxvi
AG
I edited my post because I decided that maybe "a million times worse" was too extreme. It's not like they were "starting innings with runners on second base" levels of bad.
Farmer1906
AG
My thoughts on the rule changes.

Quote:

Slightly larger bases with a less-slippery surface (all Triple-A leagues)

I can get down with this. I think the impact will be minimal, but it could be safer. It might slightly help stolen bases, slightly help the runner sliding into a bag, and slightly help infielders throwing out a runner at first.

Quote:

A requirement that all four infielders have their cleats within the outer boundary of the infield dirt when the pitch is delivered (all Double-A)

This is dumb. Don't like it. But it's been addressed on here.

Quote:

A requirement that pitchers must step off the rubber to attempt a pickoff (all High-A)

I kind of like this rule in theory. I probably won't like it in practice. This could lead to a ton of stolen bases. This is one worth following.

Quote:

A limit of two pickoff attempts per plate appearance (all Low-A)

I like what they're trying to do to speed things up, but the pitcher should be allowed to work to keep the runner on. Let the crowd get onto him for it. Let the players talk back and forth due to it.

Quote:

A 15-second pitch clock (Low-A West only)

IDK is 15 sec is the right amount, but there should be something to keeps the pitcher and batter from taking too much time between pitches.

Quote:

An automatic ball-strike system (Low-A Southeast only)

Best rule by far. Hurry up and get it right so MLB can implement it.

JJxvi
AG
Bigger bases shortens the distance between them, so in addition to runners being safe by avoiding tags more often (more area to sneak in a hand or foot), more runners will also be safe because the bags are slightly closer together.
JJxvi
AG
Looks like the larger bases are 18 inches, so first base is 3 inches closer to home, but first, second, and third are 4.5 inches closer together.
htxag09
AG
Want to shorten games? Limit commercial time between innings. No commercial breaks for pitching changes, etc. That's why the vast majority of games take so damn long.
redline248
AG
JJxvi said:

Looks like the larger bases are 18 inches, so first base is 1.5 inches closer to home, but first, second, and third are 4.5 inches closer together.
So, no more 90' base path?
redline248
AG
htxag09 said:

Want to shorten games? Limit commercial time between innings. No commercial breaks for pitching changes, etc. That's why the vast majority of games take so damn long.
Doesn't help out minor league games that aren't on tv
Farmer1906
AG
It almost makes the first baseball that much closer to receiving the ball too. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. How much can 1.5 or 3 inches matter? (insert ***** joke).
JJxvi
AG
redline248 said:

JJxvi said:

Looks like the larger bases are 18 inches, so first base is 1.5 inches closer to home, but first, second, and third are 4.5 inches closer together.
So, no more 90' base path?
1.5 inches is a mistake actually

It is 90 feet from the tip of the plate to the back of first base, so assuming they stick with that...going from 15 inch bases to 18 moves the front of the base the full three inches because it is the back of the base that is fixed distance. Because first and third are also fixed to the inside of the baselines, they move the full 3 inches closer to second as well. Second base is measured always from the center, so it is 1.5 inches closer to third and first.

3rd and 1st baselines shrink 3 inches, infield baselines shrink 4.5
htxag09
AG
redline248 said:

htxag09 said:

Doesn't help out minor league games that aren't on tv

What's the average minor league game length vs mlb? What's their between inning time compare to the 2+ min for mlb? The end goal is to shorten mlb games, no? I mean that's where the vast majority of interest lies. Minor leagues are just testing grounds for these new rules
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

I like what they're trying to do to speed things up, but the pitcher should be allowed to work to keep the runner on. Let the crowd get onto him for it. Let the players talk back and forth due to it.

So Myles Straw can dance off first, draw two throws, and then get a much better lead off the bag knowing no more throws will be coming because they don't want to chance a balk?
astros4545
AG
Quote:

Quote:

A requirement that pitchers must step off the rubber to attempt a pickoff (all High-A)

I like this...Lefties have an unfair advantage as it is...The pickoff 45degree rule is too subjective...eliminate the judgement calls while also bringing the stolen base back to the game

At the same time, more stolen bases could lead to more effort by the pitcher to hold the runner, and lengthen the game, which in turn would lead to more caught stealing's which will increase the pace of the game due to quicker outs
JJxvi
AG
I also kinda like the step off rule (you're gonna be able tell who was a lefthanded pitcher) with the opinion on that one, I think
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

So Myles Straw can dance off first, draw two throws, and then get a much better lead off the bag knowing no more throws will be coming because they don't want to chance a balk?
Only if Straw plays Low A ball this year.

But basically, yes.
astros4545
AG
Im about 90% sure that Urquidy is Altuve but increased in size by 15%
bearkatag15
AG
Dusty just said he is working both Maldy and Castro at 1B. Sounds like we could see 1 or both of them at some point this year subbing in for Yuli
Marvin
AG
Bregman and Yordan both in the lineup tomorrow.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
astros4545 said:

Im about 90% sure that Urquidy is Altuve but increased in size by 15%

Urquidy looking good. Tucker lost the ball in the sun for those 2 runs.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
bearkatag15
AG
Tucker had an awesome AB.
Beat40
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

The rule doesn't limit the catcher from throwing to 1st. That's the loop hole. If this rule makes it way up the minor leagues, I bet we'll see catchers throwing behind the runner more.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something. Once you throw twice whats keeping the runner anywhere near the bag? The moment a pitcher makes any movement at that point you gets free launch. Hell you can take as big a lead as you want and they can't stop it.
BMX Bandit
Mathguy64 said:

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something. Once you throw twice whats keeping the runner anywhere near the bag? The moment a pitcher makes any movement at that point you gets free launch. Hell you can take as big a lead as you want and they can't stop it.
if you take a huge lead, they can still pick you off. its only a balk if you aren't tagged out.
JJxvi
AG
It would definitely start to create more weird games within games rather than fewer. Ironically it would probably actually lead to pitchers learning how to hold runners on, which has more to do with having the discipline to hold and vary your stretch so the runner has no idea when to take off more than it is about having a pickoff move.

But it would also lead to things like, throwing over twice, followed by a quick pitch/ pitch out. Throwing behind the runner as mentioned above etc. Im not certain it would cut out a lot of wasted time, it would just make things weirder.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Quote:

• Pickoff limits: Across Low-A, pitchers will only be allowed to step off twice per plate appearance. Any subsequent throw over must result in successfully retiring the runner, or it's a balk.
bluefire579
AG
astros4545 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I like this...Lefties have an unfair advantage as it is...The pickoff 45degree rule is too subjective...eliminate the judgement calls while also bringing the stolen base back to the game

At the same time, more stolen bases could lead to more effort by the pitcher to hold the runner, and lengthen the game, which in turn would lead to more caught stealing's which will increase the pace of the game due to quicker outs
Would also eliminate that fake to second that Alan Ashby always railed on.
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Dusty just said he is working both Maldy and Castro at 1B. Sounds like we could see 1 or both of them at some point this year subbing in for Yuli

I'm guessing Castro would be the best option there. I assume he's the more athletic of the two
Farmer1906
AG
I would rather Diaz spell Yuli all things even, but its good to have some options. Things get weird. Extra innings, injuries, off days, etc.
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.