*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,525 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fans will still be required to wear masks.
Farmer1906
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Fans will still be required to wear masks.
How's that going to be enforced? Its going to be a **** show.
agproducer
AG
Whitley is going to have surgery.
scrimp
AG
Ag4life80 said:

JV is all about JV. He's a mercenary. We know someone way up in the Astro organization. Whenever he was approached about doing a charity event with other players, it was 'contact my agent' . He was the only player with that attitude, btw.
He might be a mercenary, might not. I don't know.

But, if I had a $33M contract, and therefore was paying may agent $1M+ per year (possibly double to triple that with endorsements), you can bet I would make my agent deal with all of the non-baseball stuff.....
JmacAg07
AG

I believe the Rangers got special permission from MLB to open up at 100% capacity for opening day. I was told that MLB is going to limit capacity at stadiums throughout baseball to 25%, at least at the beginning of the season.
Buck Compton
AG
JmacAg07 said:

I believe the Rangers got special permission from MLB to open up at 100% capacity for opening day. I was told that MLB is going to limit capacity at stadiums throughout baseball to 25%, at least at the beginning of the season.
Read like 6 posts before yours... It was already posted.

And it isn't going to be anywhere near 25% if what the Rangers ticket office is saying is true. It won't be 100%, but won't be down at 25% either.
CFTXAG10
AG
Email sent out today to Astros STH said this:

"We will be addressing the Regular Season in a phased approach, and Phase 1 will consist of all April home games. Prior to May, we will notify you of any changes to our seating plan and your options for future phases"

Had 4 options for April : keep seats as-is, move to a socially distanced area of the ballpark, pause account, or donate tix to frontline workers
baseballaficionado
Buck Compton said:

Opening day is fine for 100%, but we're going back to reduced capacity after that... Where the hell is the logic there?

Well, opening day has the potential to sell a lot more tickets. After that, even if it were 100% capacity, it would probably not be full, so they can just act like they are limiting the seats due to covid.

With that said, I like what the Rangers are doing and wish the Astros would grow some balls in regards to opening things up.
Mr Gigem
AG
JmacAg07 said:

This is not accurate. MLB is leaving it up to each team's state and local jurisdictions
3 Toed Pete
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Email sent out today to Astros STH said this:

"We will be addressing the Regular Season in a phased approach, and Phase 1 will consist of all April home games. Prior to May, we will notify you of any changes to our seating plan and your options for future phases"

Had 3 options for April : move to socially distanced areas of the ballpark, pause account, or donate tix to frontline workers
For April, you can also sit in your regular section and there will be no social distancing there. This is the default but if you don't like it, you can choose one of the 3 options listed above. Seems like the Astros have given reasonable options here for everyone.
CFTXAG10
AG
Yea, I edited my post to include that. Our family plans to keep our seats out in the outfield by the bullpen. Our ticket rep made me laugh though. He said "I hope yall don't mind we are putting plexi-glass up to protect the players in the bullpen"
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
100% would take Correa there over Straw. He has a career ~.350 OBP so that's strong. Plus he's got that HR power at the top like George did. He Ks a little too much for my likening but he always draws walks (see the 350 obp). I'd probably go Brantley or Altuve in place of him, but I wouldn't complain.
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Of the two id prefer Correa at lead off

But I think Altuve, Brantley, Tucker or Bregman would likely be better options. I like Correa in the 3 or 4 hole with a lot of RBI opportunities
Mathguy64
AG
Are we really talking about batting a guy lead off who hurts himself swinging? Tucker would be the better option.
Farmer1906
AG
TED would be farther down the list for me until he cleans up the K-BB ratio a little more.
astros4545
AG
Tucker leadoff vs Righties
Correa vs Lefties
Straw vs Ambidextrous
redline248
AG
I've seen Correa tighten up his plate discipline over the course of a weekend series, and even mid-game, so I think he could be a decent leadoff.

Based on last year I'm still not sold on Straw, but I'm willing to give him a week or so of games to see.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
What's wrong with Straw and his 1.063 OPS this spring?
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

What's wrong with Straw and his 1.063 OPS this spring?

It's in March and not April-Oct.
Pahdz
I guarantee you Chandler has no idea what Tags is referring to there (some here may not even get the reference)
Mathguy64
AG
Pahdz said:

I guarantee you Chandler has no idea what Tags is referring to there (some here may not even get the reference)

I'm old enough to not only remember winning HS football on either penetrations or first downs but to have played when that was a real thing.
MaxPower
Granato on 97.5 was claiming to have inside info that negotiations with Carlos are not going well. The sides are very far apart on both dollars and years.
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

Granato on 97.5 was claiming to have inside info that negotiations with Carlos are not going well. The sides are very far apart on both dollars and years.

Who's Granato?
Ags #1
AG
I assume john. Local sports radio guy
W
AG
regarding Correa...it's long past time to bat him in one of the key batting order spots...and see what he can do.

don't want to give a 10-year $300 MM contract to a 6-hole hitter
Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

Let's see what happens. I appreciate the team being fiscally responsible, and Carlos getting all he can. Hopefully they'll work it out.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
I do not think the Correa ship has sailed, but I do think the extension before free agency has. We'll see what the market is for him.

Any extension means two-time offenders in the luxury tax. It'll hurt if JV or McCullers turn down QO. It'll cost Crane another 30-42%

We've been near, at, or above the luxury tax for a couple of years now. Crane has shown he is willing to spend to keep a winner. Kudos to him. He talked the talk before and now he's walking the walk.

Right now we have 56.9 M on the luxury tax books for 2022. The League average is 56.7 M. Even if Jimmy Crane says "We gotta cut cost. I want to be 30% under the cap!". That means we'd still have 87 M to spend. 25 M for Carlos, 12 M for Lance, 8 M high-end bullpen piece, 3 M low-end bullpen piece, 3 M backup catcher, 30 M for Thor. And 6 M to spare. That was fun.
redline248
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Pahdz said:

I'm old enough to not only remember winning HS football on either penetrations or first downs but to have played when that was a real thing.
That stuff ended just before my junior year
Harry Dunne
Pahdz said:

Chandler probably thinks its a sexually charged comment and is writing an emotional piece about how there's no room for that type of locker room talk anymore in sports.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

100% would take Correa there over Straw. He has a career ~.350 OBP so that's strong. Plus he's got that HR power at the top like George did. He Ks a little too much for my likening but he always draws walks (see the 350 obp). I'd probably go Brantley or Altuve in place of him, but I wouldn't complain.
I'm as much of a "Straw guy" as you can be, but I'd take almost anyone in the lineup there over Straw. Straw needs to be 8th or 9th most days.

Let's be VERY optimistic and say he can hit .270 with a .340 OBP along with good baserunning and zero power. Well that's OK in the first inning, but that OBP is still going to be (hopefully) in the bottom half of our starters and now you're giving a guy that even with those numbers is still a .700 OPS guy 100 more ABs over the course of the season than if he were batting 9th. Then after the 1st inning, he's also just as likely to have RBI opportunities as anyone else in the lineup.

I can understand why your leadoff hitter needs to be not just your best hitter but a good baserunner (at least capable)...2 hole as well. You don't want Yordan leading off with a walk or single and holding Altuve or Correa back on a ball in the gap, or not being able to take 3rd on a single and so on...but after that I think it probably ought to be your best hitters in order 3-9.

Metrics nerds school me if I'm wrong.

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm as much of a "Straw guy" as you can be, but I'd take almost anyone in the lineup there over Straw. Straw needs to be 8th or 9th most days.

Let's be VERY optimistic and say he can hit .270 with a .350 OBP along with good baserunning and zero power. Well that's OK I guess in the first inning, but that OBP is still going to be (hopefully) in the bottom half of our starters and now you're giving a guy that even with those numbers is still probably a .700 OPS guy at best 100 more ABs over the course of the season than if he were batting 9th and past the 1st he's also just as likely to have RBI opportunities as anyone else in the lineup.

I can understand why your leadoff hitter needs to be not just your bast hitter but a good baserunner (at least capable)...2 hole as well. You don't want Yordan leading off with a walk or single and holding Altuve back on a ball in the gap, or not being able to take 3rd on a single and so on...but after that I think it probably ought to be your best hitters in order 3-9.

Metrics nerds school me if I'm wrong.

You got it IMO.

You want your best hitter getting the most ABs (Bregman, Yordan) but you also want these guys to have RBI opportunities so their doubles and HRs aren't with no one on. You also don't want someone like Yordan clogging the bases for your speed guys.

Here is how it worked out for us in '19. Correa could potentially be getting 80 more plate appearances if he bats leadoff vs 6 hole. Straw could potentially get 134 more PA if he bats leadoff and not 9 hole.

Get your best hitters at the top. Split up your lefties. Don't waste your best power guy in the 1 hole.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, but here a few things I would absolutely do in all my ideal lineups.
Bregman needs to be top 3
Yordan needs to be top 4
Yuli needs to be no higher than 7
Straw and Maldonado/Castro need to be 8/9
Don't bat lefties back to back, maybe even put 2 righties between them.
Deluxe
AG
After the first inning, Straw can be the same distraction on the basepaths batting ninth as he can batting leadoff. Let our big time sticks get more ABs.
MaxPower
Think I'd prefer to trade him rather than hope we can resign him against the market. Sick of watching guys walk while only receiving a dart throw 3rd round draft pick.
First Page Last Page
Page 104 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.