*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,329 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

If they wanted to keep JV they should work out a contract now. Why? Because it will certainly be less than the $33m AAV he has now, which means we can decrease our luxury tax payroll to give more 2021 flexibility. I can't recall a guy coming off tommy John without having pitched getting offered $19m before, more the less one who is going to be 39. I find it doubtful we will be the first to join that list.
There is no way Verlander is going to take a paycut in a year he's doing nothing but rehabbing. I think the best case is he accepts a QO for next year, then he bails to go back to Detroit and complete their rebuild / reunite with AJ.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

MaxPower said:

If they wanted to keep JV they should work out a contract now. Why? Because it will certainly be less than the $33m AAV he has now, which means we can decrease our luxury tax payroll to give more 2021 flexibility. I can't recall a guy coming off tommy John without having pitched getting offered $19m before, more the less one who is going to be 39. I find it doubtful we will be the first to join that list.
There is no way Verlander is going to take a paycut in a year he's doing nothing but rehabbing. I think the best case is he accepts a QO for next year, then he bails to go back to Detroit and complete their rebuild / reunite with AJ.

It's not a pay cut. It's a lowering of his average pay because his next deal will be less than 33 M a year. It I think there is too much risk to give him money now. At his age he needs to show you something even if it is in offseason workouts.
Ag_07
AG
Not gonna lie...I'm concerned for Yordan.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Long term or this year?

I think he'll be great in the short term, but his knees aren't going to last. He'll likely never seen another contract from us.
Ag_07
AG
Both

And yes I agree on that long term prediction
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Long term or this year?

I think he'll be great in the short term, but his knees aren't going to last. He'll likely never seen another contract from us.
Farmer1906
AG
Best line up so far this spring.

Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Part of my take however is that if we will get hammered by offering and him accepting then I dont want it. And personally I just still think 19/year is high. I think id rather atleast see 2/35 or so maybe a little lower with some really good options and bonus'
Assuming his rehab has gone well, those numbers won't be anywhere near what he can get on the open market. If he comes back and pitches well (even once or twice) at the end of this season, forget about it.

I'm not sure what you're basing your opinion of 19/yr being high on. Bauer just got 3/102. Do you think he's going to be that far behind Bauer? JV has had ELEVEN seasons better (by WAR) than Bauer's 2nd best year, including 4 out of his last 5 before the injury.

2/35 is Charlie Morton or Marcus Stroman money.
bluefire579
AG
Pahdz said:

Of course Grienke did that

There's not a Grienke story that I don't get a chuckle out of
For real, Grienke is a national treasure
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MaxPower said:

Hadnt thought of that angle, that would help the tax level average but I doubt the Astros pay for unproven/ post surgery production. Your last part I think youre exactly correct. The Astros are not trend setters in terms of first to pay up for something
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Assuming his rehab has gone well, those numbers won't be anywhere near what he can get on the open market. If he comes back and pitches well (even once or twice) at the end of this season, forget about it.

I'm not sure what you're basing your opinion of 19/yr being high on. Bauer just got 3/102. Do you think he's going to be that far behind Bauer? JV has had ELEVEN seasons better (by WAR) than Bauer's 2nd best year, including 4 out of his last 5 before the injury.

2/35 is Charlie Morton or Marcus Stroman money.
You wont know if his rehab has gone well until he is half a season past it... we thought his last one went well and that lasted 1 game. Contracts are offered long before we will know that. And my opinion about it being high is my opinion about a 40yr old pitcher coming off TJ.
Bauer is 30
Stroman is 29
Even Morton is 37

So you are talking about an arm 3-10 years older, way more miles on it and coming off of the major surgery for a pitcher. Only big name person I can find to comeback after TJ later in his career was Smoltz and he was 33 when he had it and was moved to the bullpen.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The thing about non-starts is pretty genius by his agent, since openers are a thing. Based on everything coming out about this contract, seems like a really good deal for both sides...especially if he performs.
Harry Dunne
Age is the only advantage any of those guys have. All due respect to CFM, but you're comparing JV to guys that can't hold his jock. You're also comparing him to guys that all in all haven't done that much. JV was arguably the best pitcher in baseball when he got injured.

Yeah he's old and coming back from the surgery, but Tommy John himself pitched until he was 46. Bauer is overrated AF and at that price is a huge gamble because aside from one season and 11 or 12 starts last year he's been no more than "pretty good".

Obviously we are both speculating so I won't pretend like I know anymore than anyone else about old guys having TJ surgery or what the market for him is going to be, but if JV wants to come back and be great again I definitely wouldn't bet against him.
Farmer1906
AG
I am not looking forward to this.

Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I am not looking forward to this.

Why won't the MLB just stop ****ing with this ***** How difficult is that?
MaxPower
This team has looked like garbage this spring. I hope they plan to flip a switch soon.
JJxvi
AG
MaxPower said:

This team has looked like garbage this spring. I hope they plan to flip a switch soon.
Oh no!
Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

And there it is one week into Spring Training.

Not bad
Deluxe
AG
MaxPower said:

If this is a troll, it's actually a pretty good troll
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Has a game been televised yet? I think there was one on tape delay last week right?
Mr.Ackar07
Ag_07 said:

MaxPower said:

And there it is one week into Spring Training.

Not bad

Well, the Max Power's way is usually the wrong way, only faster.
Ag4life80
AG
JV is all about JV. He's a mercenary. We know someone way up in the Astro organization. Whenever he was approached about doing a charity event with other players, it was 'contact my agent' . He was the only player with that attitude, btw.
bearkatag15
AG

Love me some Scrubb
Harry Dunne
Ag4life80 said:

JV is all about JV. He's a mercenary. We know someone way up in the Astro organization. Whenever he was approached about doing a charity event with other players, it was 'contact my agent' . He was the only player with that attitude, btw.
I don't doubt what your buddy says, but JV is a good teammate & consummate pro, works his ass off, gives a ton of $ to charity and keeps his nose clean. Oh and he won us a ring BTW...so therefore IDGAF if he's a little selfish about his personal time & charity events.
07ag
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Has a game been televised yet? I think there was one on tape delay last week right?
2 games have been on mlbnetwork on tape delay. here is the at&tsportsnet schedule

https://twitter.com/ATTSportsNetSW/status/1367207143871574018/photo/1
https://ts.la/eric59704
MaxPower
No, just venting
AustinCountyAg
Harry Dunne said:

Ag4life80 said:

I don't doubt what your buddy says, but JV is a good teammate & consummate pro, works his ass off, gives a ton of $ to charity and keeps his nose clean. Oh and he won us a ring BTW...so therefore IDGAF if he's a little selfish about his personal time & charity events.
Not saying JV isn't a dick with his personal time, but it could also be a "contact my agent" because I have multiple endorsements, and I might have prior commitments and I wouldn't have a clue on the dates type of deal.

FWIW I don't care because of all the reasons already listed above by Harry.
W
AG
rich people also get tired of constantly, constantly being hit up for donations, charity work, etc..,

too many people and organizations want everything free
TREX01
If I was JV, I would take the same approach. My personal time is limited as a professional athlete so let someone else handle the minutia. I'm gonna focus on production.
spadilly
S
Also, his agent will know if any event or endorsement he is asked to be a part of us a conflict of interest with one of his current deals.
Farmer1906
AG
Time for the Astros to do the same.

Buck Compton
AG
Opening day is fine for 100%, but we're going back to reduced capacity after that... Where the hell is the logic there?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Buck Compton said:

Opening day is fine for 100%, but we're going back to reduced capacity after that... Where the hell is the logic there?
Farmer1906
AG
Wow I didn't. Read the full tweet. What damn sense does that make?
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

Time for the Astros to do the same.

They don't expect to hit 100% on opening day
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.