*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

404,766 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the OBP cut off for Straw to avoid goat status (historical usage, not to be confused with modern GOAT)? For a guy like him getting on base is so important.

Side bar: Perhaps if we want to stick with an animal theme we could use "shark" for anyone who starts to stuck at Tyler White levels.
astros4545
AG
.333 obp from Straw would make me very happy
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Some highlights from last night's game

Bobcat-Ag
He looked safe at the plate on that last play.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Both Martes and Parades pitched last night.
Deluxe
AG
Does Martes have any further suspension to serve? I recall he was suspended for the 2020 season but the articles I read said "162 games". Like Hinch/Cora, maybe MLB views his suspension as being served despite last year being a partial season.
AustinCountyAg
Is their a reason Dusty Baker is wearing OJ Simpson black leather gloves?
n_touch
He is killin Rona. Did it most of last year too
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/pedro-leon-excited-for-opportunity-with-astros

Nothing of real substance on Pedro, but still a nice piece.

I particularly like the end where they should some major respect for Yuli.

Quote:

That career started quietly on the back fields at Ballpark of the Palm Beaches, where he fielded ground balls and dreamed of life in the big leagues. He's already become friends with Alvarez and Gurriel, as well as fellow Cubans, infielder Aledmys Daz and Lorenzo Quintana, a non-roster catcher. He compares himself to Jose Altuve and can't wait until he shares a dugout with the players he's idolized for years.

"It's an incredible feeling," Leon said. "It's really a dream come true, to be honest with you. It's something that we say a lot in Cuba, that we all have a little bit of Yuli inside of us. That's what the young kids say when playing with Cuba, so it's a dream come true to be here and to be around him."
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Both Martes and Parades pitched last night.

I assume this is travel related?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
agproducer
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe said:

Does Martes have any further suspension to serve? I recall he was suspended for the 2020 season but the articles I read said "162 games". Like Hinch/Cora, maybe MLB views his suspension as being served despite last year being a partial season.
The guys on the radio last night commented that no one was really sure when he'd be eligible. He got hit with the suspension in February of last year. If he has to serve any of his suspension this year, he's ineligible for the playoffs.
Mathguy64
AG
Difference was Hinch and Cora took a season suspension not a 162 game suspension. In fact if I recall it may have been a calendar year suspension.
agproducer
AG
I think I read somewhere that Martes still has 102 games to serve of his suspension.
RO519
AG
So good to see baseball!!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Thats really ****ty of the MLB to screw a guy because a global pandemic shut down half the season when any other year he would be good to go.
Deluxe
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Difference was Hinch and Cora took a season suspension not a 162 game suspension. In fact if I recall it may have been a calendar year suspension.
Gotcha, thanks
Beat40
One one hand I agree. On the other, I mostly don't feel too terrible seeing as he knew the rules and willingly broke them. It wasn't his first offense either.
Ag_07
AG
162 games is 162 games

If he woulda gotten caught in the last month of the season it'd still carry over.

I'd rather him just not break the rules.
SW-14
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Some highlights from last night's game

Damn, LMJ needs a haircut.
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe he's channeling Cole.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I agree with both of you in terms of never should have done it. But suspensions should be 1/2 season or full season etc... Same way I think it is BS to give a pitcher a 8 game suspension vs a position player and 8 game suspension for the some offense.

Doesnt really matter, just pretty shady to let Hinch/ Cora off because "we said 1 year" but then hold a player accountable for possibly two seasons because you decided to make it games based for them.

I also get if it happened at the end of the year, saying it was a 1 season suspension from time of the infraction would still knock that player out until the same time the following season
Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Doesnt really matter, just pretty shady to let Hinch/ Cora off because "we said 1 year" but then hold a player accountable for possibly two seasons because you decided to make it games based for them.

The difference is that player suspensions for PEDs are collectively bargained with the players union and they are set at a defined number of games per violation (in this case 162 games).

Hinch and Cora suspensions on the other hand are not collectively bargained and came down from the commissioner's office and that's why they were 1 season and not a certain number of games.

Kinda apples and oranges
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Thanks for the clarification.

In the new CBA, they should really work at using last season as an example to change the system where theyre punished the same as coaches would be and not able to be screwed if something like this happens again.

Not that I ever think we will see anything like 2020 again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Thanks for the clarification.

In the new CBA, they should really work at using last season as an example to change the system where theyre punished the same as coaches would be and not able to be screwed if something like this happens again.

Not that I ever think we will see anything like 2020 again.
I think they will have bigger things to deal with than how long to suspend players who took PEDs. Not going to win over many fans in the court of public opinion on that one. There's an easy solution to it...don't take PEDs.
Farmer1906
AG
Martes has pitched 25 innings since 2018. He got the call in 2017 with the Astros and wasn't very good. He wasn't good in AAA that year either. The last time Martes was a good pitcher was 2016 in AA. I think we should stop worrying if he's able to pitch this year or not because he's very very very unlikely to be part of our plans moving forward.
Deluxe
AG
I don't think anyone is "worrying" about his eligibility to pitch this year. Just throwing around some discussion about a formerly elite prospect who just recently threw a couple innings after being very off the radar for a while.

Agreed that he's not likely to be a difference maker, especially not this year. But if he more elite young arms we can get into the mix, the more likely it is that 1-2 of them emerge like Framber and Javier did last year. Numbers game.
Farmer1906
AG
AggieLit
Is this becoming an annual tradition where we lose our best pitcher for the season? Blowing off some steam here...
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Just your every day double play + tootblan
Pahdz
If he had been running 100% the whole way he'd have been easily safe. He was jogging to third
Bulldog73
AG
Just your run of the mill 5-2-3-2 triple play.
Big Al 1992
AG
Chills...no hitter #3

https://instagr.am/p/CMDejzAg2z6
Big Al 1992
AG
Where the F is Toro?!!
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.