*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,529 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still a lot of risk because, if I remember correctly, his velocity was way down when he was coming back last year. Then he shut it down due to covid, but I think it was as much or more about his arm not being back.
Ag_07
AG
Colin has done more SJWing than pitching since he left us.

Like Marwin we got his best years. Hard pass
Deluxe
AG
Wonder if Ashley Buzzy McHugh would still consider a 1 year contract with the Astros to be our PR manager
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
so how many players from the 2017 title team will still be on the 2021 team?

Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Yuli
LMj
Verlander

is that it?

only 2 of those guys are under contract for the 2022 season
W
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Let's never do this.

This being bringing back a former star who's now a very below average starter yet still paying a chunk of change due to his name.
the Phillies can't win for losing. They paid Arrieta $75 MM (minus COVID pro-rata) for 3 seasons of average to below average performance.

a classic case of paying a player for what he did for another franchise. This is the same mistake the Angels keep making
W
AG
tjack16 said:

It seems the Cubs are content with their 2016 title and don't really care about going all in for another. They had a shot to be the top team in the NL from 2016-2020 with their young stars and payroll.
the Cubs killed themselves with the Heyward contract.

somehow they misevaluated his 6.9 WAR season in 2015 in St. Louis...and gave him a horrendous 8-year deal...that just won't end. It's still got 3 more years
Harry Dunne
W said:

Farmer1906 said:

Let's never do this.

This being bringing back a former star who's now a very below average starter yet still paying a chunk of change due to his name.
the Phillies can't win for losing. They paid Arrieta $75 MM (minus COVID pro-rata) for 3 seasons of average to below average performance.

a classic case of paying a player for what he did for another franchise. This is the same mistake the Angels keep making
This is also why we're going to (eventually) be glad we didn't pony up for George.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Let's never do this.

$6.5M is right about at the going rate for a serviceable back end of the rotation starting pitcher.

The Reds are paying Miley $8M and their projections are comparable. Nats gave Lester 5 and I think Arrieta probably has more gas left in the tank.

I don't think it's going to end up being an awesome pick up or anything like that, but you need guys to eat innings and knowing he fits in the clubhouse is an added bonus with a 1-year deal for relative chump change.
Farmer1906
AG
Define serviceable?

He's been bad and trending worse.

spadilly
S
W said:

so how many players from the 2017 title team will still be on the 2021 team?

Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Yuli
LMj
Verlander

is that it?

only 2 of those guys are under contract for the 2022 season

I think so. Reddick is still looking for a job, and we may still need outfielders, so maybe he comes back on a cheap deal.
BCEDAg
AG
Signing Reddick would not be the worst thing the Astros could do to provide outfield depth. He's still a decent fielder although his bat showed signs of slowing down last season. What happened to the possibility of signing JBJ?
McInnis
AG
What is the situation with Verlander? Last year was the team option for him I think. Is he a free agent? Is there any talk of him maybe being able pitch by the end of the season?
BCEDAg
AG
Verlander is a FA after this season. Not sure we'll see him pitch again in an Astro uniform.
MaxPower
BCEDAg said:

Signing Reddick would not be the worst thing the Astros could do to provide outfield depth. He's still a decent fielder although his bat showed signs of slowing down last season. What happened to the possibility of signing JBJ?
He wants too much money. I'm sure they are in contact but last update was he still wanted 3-4 years.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BCEDAg said:

We need someone who can play center field. Reddick doesn't do that. JBJ is probably going back to the red sox if I had to guess.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Define serviceable?

He's been bad and trending worse.

Sure, no one is saying he's anywhere near peak Arrieta anymore.

I think a "serviceable" back end of the rotation guy is someone who can go out there and hold the other team to 3 runs in 5-6 innings. LHe's not going to go out there and shut bats down, but he gives you a chance to win if you've got the bats to back him up. Arrieta, J. Lester, Miley...he who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Liars), and so on.

Since you've got last year's awful metrics up there, it's also relevant to note that he got blown out only once, and 2/3 of his starts were 5 IP or more and 3 runs or less. Far from an ace, but gives a team with some bats and a bullpen a chance.

Anyway, my opinion on Arrieta or what is "serviceable" doesn't really matter. The fact is that guys like that are getting deals in about the same range... so my opinion is that while it's probably not the deal of the century, it's also not as terrible as you are saying to bring a former star back home on a 1 yr/6.5M that fits in well in your clubhouse that can go out there and give you some innings.
BCEDAg
AG
Didn't say he was going to play CF. Just a bench player to put in the game in late innings for defensive purposes only. Still need JBJ to play CF.
BCEDAg
AG
How do you know he wants too much money? I've not read anywhere that was the case. At this point I think he would even take a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training.
BCEDAg
AG
I've read Bradley wanted a 3-4 year deal, not Reddick.
PSully97
AG
I wouldn't mind having brought Arrieta to Houston on a short cheap deal. It's not 2019 anymore and I'm not confident we have five SP better than him.

Also his postseason experience counts for a lot, if and when that time comes.
MaxPower
BCEDAg said:

I've read Bradley wanted a 3-4 year deal, not Reddick.
Correct, that is who I was referring to.
Farmer1906
AG
It reeks of an Ed Wade type move. By pretty much every metric he's bad and getting worse, but let's go sign him because he was good here several years ago. Plus he's been more injury prone now. He's a body to fill a hole in the rotation, but he's not going to help the Cubs get better.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure who y'all are talking about but neither Reddick or JBJ are taking a minor league deal. They'd just retire at that point and spend time with family.

We're gonna roll with what we got.
Harry Dunne
Sorry I'm blanking out, but what washed up former Astros star did Wade bring back?

Anyway, I don't disagree with you about what direction Arrieta is headed, but you're talking like they paid a king's ransom for him and for one year, 6.5 million, a washed up Jake Arrieta is just what you can get.
MaxPower
Ug. Dodgers just resigned Turner. That teams is more stacked than last year.
BCEDAg
AG
I'm saying Reddick may take a minor league deal now that it's almost spring training and he's unsigned. JBJ will eventually get a major league deal. Bradley is too young to retire. Reddick is only 34 and there are several guys older than him that have recently signed minor league deals with invites to spring training
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...Reddick ain't signing a minor league deal.
bluefire579
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Sorry I'm blanking out, but what washed up former Astros star did Wade bring back?

Anyway, I don't disagree with you about what direction Arrieta is headed, but you're talking like they paid a king's ransom for him and for one year, 6.5 million, a washed up Jake Arrieta is just what you can get.
Believe he was responsible for Mike Hampton coming back
BCEDAg
AG
And how do you know this?
Beat40
MaxPower said:

Becoming the West Coast Yankees. Easy to dislike.
Ag_07
AG
I don't

I'm just guessing that the long time veteran player with twin toddlers who made a shlt ton of money on his last contract and wion a ring doesn't want to play for a roster spot.

Also in hearing him talk he seemed to be very content knowing that he was on the downside of his career.

Harry Dunne
bluefire579 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Believe he was responsible for Mike Hampton coming back
Gotcha.

But of all the reasons to hate Ed Wade, 1 yr/$2M to see if Hampton had anything left in the tank doesn't seem like what you'd be mad about.
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

MaxPower said:

Becoming the West Coast Yankees. Easy to dislike.

They were easy to dislike 45 years ago. Ducking Fodgers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Paxton back to the mariners, 1yr deal
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.