*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,416 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ya'll ready for winter storm uri/yuli?
https://ts.la/eric59704
dshedd41
S
Deluxe
AG
Pretty decent Tag mailbag:

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-2021-closer-options

-Astros still in the running for Trevor Rosenthal
-Straw likely to get first crack at CF job

Farmer1906
AG
I figured we were done in the pen, but Rosenthal would be significant.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I figured we were done in the pen, but Rosenthal would be significant.
I'd love to be the team he settles for a one year deal with
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

Baker is an old-school manager and might want the speedy Straw at the top.

I hope he's talking out of his ass here and this isn't a real option.
Ag_07
AG
He could be Usain fckn Bolt but if he can't get on base his speed means nothing.
Harry Dunne
Many of you are basing way too much on 82 bad ABs. What about the previous 117 ABs where he had a .380 OBP? And where he was used as a late inning defensive replacement and touted as a "Gold Glove caliber" centerfielder... and that initial performance and those defensive projections are not realistic, but he's also not trash and he has shown enough in the minors and initially in Houston to deserve a shot at the spot.

This ain't fantasy baseball. It's not like we are trotting Straw out there while Kevin Pillar is available on the "waiver wire". If any superior centerfield options were available for the price we can afford, we would've signed them already.

If Straw can give us 400 ABs with a .330 OBP & some decent defense and some steals while making $500k, that leaves us a lot more flexibility at the trade deadline and in the future than getting locked into a long-term deal with someone like JBJ that is also not the answer.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Baker is an old-school manager and might want the speedy Straw at the top.

I hope he's talking out of his ass here and this isn't a real option.
Agreed. Straw has proven nothing. Even if he goes off in the spring he needs to start off at the bottom of the order. If he's hitting a month or two into the season then consider it.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/yordan-alvarez-astros-x-factor

Quote:

Yordan Alvarez, remember him? A quick refresher: Alvarez came up to the big leagues two Junes ago and made The Show look easy, packing 27 homers and 78 RBIs into just 87 games as the second coming of Willie McCovey's rookie campaign. His adjusted 173 OPS+ was the most by any rookie with 350 plate appearances since Shoeless Joe Jackson (193) in 1911. It was one of the best freshman campaigns, and Alvarez was the deserving and unanimous American League Rookie of the Year Award winner.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree. If you're only looking at his MLB production, the sample size is too small to judge him on.

But we have seen him in the minors.

In 2017 he has 587 PA between A+ & AA. He had a .766 OPS. (sub .600 in AA)
In 2018 he had 598 PA between AA & AAA. He has a .734 OPS. (.666 in AAA)

If he never showed a high upside at the plate in the minors, then why should we expect him to flip the switch in the bigs?
Harry Dunne
It's like you're forgetting about his speed even though that's the only thing really redeeming about him.

No one expects him to "flip the switch" if by that you mean all of the sudden start slugging and be an .800 OPS guy, but there's a big difference between a guy who doesn't run well and doesn't walk much and Ks a lot and has a .700 OPS from the occasional blast (Machete comes to mind) and a guy who gets on base and walks and runs like the wind.

Vince Coleman was a sub.-700 OPS guy for the Cardinals and was ROY and an All-Star and even got MVP votes...while playing garbage defense. I'm not saying Straw is going to ever steal 100 bases (or even 50) or get MVP votes, and unless we are going back to the Dome we can't have 9 of those guys in the lineup, but you're shortchanging his value by judging him only on his OPS, which I agree, will never be great. Like I said before, I think he can be a Willy Taveras type.

Look he is what he is and I wish we had our 2019 depth he was a 4th/5th OF and pinch runner guy but with the first 7 guys in the order we're going to be OK and I'd rather give Straw a shot and have money to go after guys like Rosenthal (or a legit CF at the deadline)...and obviously the organization agrees.
Ag4life80
AG
Having seen Straw in CF at Round Rock, I think he'll be fine. Bat him 9th with Altuve behind him leading off and we'll be good to go.
Farmer1906
AG
By flip the switch, I mean being an above average hitter. If you're an average to below average defender, the hope you'll be you're not a liability at the plate.

Just FYI walks are included in OPS.

Coleman wouldn't never sniff an MVP or ROTY vote in today's game. If the goal is an 84 OPS+ player playing CF then maybe Straw can do that.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

By flip the switch, I mean being an above average hitter. If you're an average to below average defender, the hope you'll be you're not a liability at the plate.

Just FYI walks are included in OPS.

Coleman wouldn't never sniff an MVP or ROTY vote in today's game. If the goal is an 84 OPS+ player playing CF then maybe Straw can do that.
Yes man, I know walks are included in OPS. Stolen bases are not and neither are things like taking 3rd on singles that slower guys wouldn't...or disrupting rhythm because you're a threat to run and so on. Because he was bad in his short stint last year I feel like you've forgotten that he's amazingly fast. When he gets on base, he's a difference-maker.

And yes, he does need to get on base for that to make a difference but I think you're missing the point, which is that a .700 OPS derived from hitting .215 with some pop but striking out a ton and clogging the basepaths when you do reach them is not as valuable (especially on a lineup stacked with guys who can drive runs in) as a .700 OPS derived from hitting for less power but a higher BA + BB and then adding to that by making contact and extending counts and stealing bases and being a disruptor on the basepaths and good general baserunner.

He's not a below average defender. Again, you're basing your full opinion of the guy on 82 ABs worth of baseball. He was great in the minors, he was great when he came up, he's talented enough to have been a STARTING SS for a 107 win team for crying out loud. I think they jerked him back and forth too much and he lost confidence, but he's a plus defender.

League average OPS is usually around .750, and I don't expect he will be a .750 OPS guy this season. Maybe later in his career if he gets stronger. No one is saying he's an MVP, I just disagree with your valuation and evaluation of him.

I've been wrong plenty in our disagreements and this is obviously just my opinion but as for the defense I would be willing to wager whatever you want to bet that he is at the very least a solid CF this year if not more.

Re: Coleman, I don't want to get into an argument about an 80s Cardinal on the Astros thread, but I think most years if a guy steals 110 bases, he's going to have a shot at ROY.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't think our evaluations of him are that far off. The most recent comment I made about him was about him leading off. That's a terrible idea when you have our 1-6. That had just as much to due to Altuve, Tucker, Bregman, Yordan, Correa, and Brantley as him.

I think he can be a guy that's a .240 hitter who strikes out way too much for a soft hitting guy who pounds it into the ground, but causes some problems when he's on the basepath. His defense is not there yet, but clearly, he has the speed needed to be very good. If given the opportunity (he'll need to hit for the extended opportunity) he'll probably become a good CF. I am not sure it happens in 2021 though.

With our lineup, we can afford to have a gap in the 9 hole. I think he can match 2020 Reddick. .245-.316-.378-.693. Which is far from good, but probably fine assuming everyone else comes close to meeting expectations.

My attitude all offseason was I'd rather have a very good defender in CF that can hang out around average hitting. Straw has the potential to do just that, but he very well could just plain suck this year. And if he does, then what? Its not like we have someone else in the minors ready to give it a go. We're gonna have to trade for someone or move TED over (He's not a true CF) and move someone else to a corner spot.
Deluxe
AG
I'm pumped about Luis Garcia this year. Gonna be a stud.
astros4545
AG
I think Straw is entering Tyler White territory where people will be rooting against him

Gonna make this thread a beating
tjack16
AG
So when do we start making our season predictions? Like record, HR leader, finish, etc
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

So when do we start making our season predictions? Like record, HR leader, finish, etc
Now's good.
MaxPower
My guess at this point is Straw starts in CF and they make a trade mid season if he's a disaster. The Marlins seem certain to suck in that brutal division so Marte could be viable.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

I'm pumped about Luis Garcia this year. Gonna be a stud.
He's the first guy you call when someone in the rotation goes to the DL right?

13 may be stretching for pitchers, but if we carry 13 here is how I see it.

1. Greinke
2. McCullers
3. Framber
4. Urquity
5. Javier
6. Pressly
7. Parades
8. Baez
9. Raley
10. Taylor
11. Smith
12. Stanek
13. Cishek, maybe Scrub.

He's probably the odd man out early, but the opportunity will be there. We don't want to overtax our young or old guys plus Lance is Lance. He ain't throw 190+.

Anyway, once he does get his shot, I want to see him working that slider in more.

He threw it 22 times last year. It was hit for exactly zero hits with a 60% wiff%. That's the finisher for righties.

Harry Dunne
Fair enough.

I do think he's going to be good enough for what we need him to be. Especially defensively.
Deluxe
AG
100% agree. Garcia may not be on the opening day roster but I think he'll get first crack at any rotation spots that inevitably open up. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a rotation mainstay quickly.

With that said, I think it's possible he wins a starting spot in spring and bumps someone out.
tjack16
AG
Assuming our stars stay healthy (knock on all the wood)

My predictions
Final record: 96-66 (1st in AL West by 6 games)
HR Leader: Alvarez - 40
Team MVP: Alex Bregman with big bounce back year.
Batting average leader: Brantley or Altuve

WS prediction: Dodgers over Astros in 6

Bold prediction: The Astros will see George Springer in October and send the Blue Jays home
redline248
AG
The one thing I hope Straw does less of this year is hit fly balls.
Farmer1906
AG
Yankees just found Gary's replacement.

Also 1 more team out on JBJ

EastCoastAgNc
AG
One reason that I think neither JBJ or Rosenthal sign with us:. Scott Boras is their agent. Dude hates the Astros.
Ag_07
AG
So why did Altuve sign the extension with us? He's a Boras client.

Boras hates us along with Crane is a cheapskate are the two biggest Astros myths.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I don't think the situations are comparable. Altuve was already on the team, I'm taking about free agents. Remember what happened with maldy in 2019? Didn't he fire Boras for basically not telling him about an offer from the Astros? He ended up signing for less money and years than what the Astros offered him. When was the last time we signed one of his clients in free agency?
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
Garcia up to 2. Wow. The secret is out.
Farmer1906
AG
The world saw him do the hokie pokie on the mound last year.
Deluxe
AG
Click loves the guys with elite hokie pokie skills
Farmer1906
AG
Barder stood out to me as a name I wasn't familiar with. Cool little article from last year.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/colin-barber-is-locked-in-at-the-plate/

Quote:

"He's the guy who has a little Bregman in him in terms of his focus," Astros assistant GM Pete Putila said. "You see it in the gym, you see it in the cage . . . getting to the big leagues, there's no other option for him. He's really locked in."

Barber was among the handful of prospects at instructional league in West Palm Beach, Fla. Houston added Barber to its 60-man player pool at the end of the regular season, but purely for developmental purposes, after he spent 20 games in the independent City of Champions Cup during the summer.

The organization has been impressed by subtle changes in Barber's lefthanded swing. He's always possessed a high exit velocity and power, but the club is working with the 19-year-old outfielder to dig his heel into the ground before starting his hands. Barber is able to cover more of the strike zone and is reducing the frequency of weak ground balls to the right side.

"His power, especially relative to his age, is impressive," Putila said. "He's got the ability to loft the ball. I think that's one of the biggest improvements we've seen less of a rollover finish, and he's able to finish with his top hand up."
First Page Last Page
Page 82 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.