*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,431 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotta agree mid tier ain't right.

Altuve
Bergman
TED
Alvarez
Correa

That 1-5 is as good or better than anyone
bearkatag15
AG

That's a lot of $$$
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'd say top tier offense with Yordan coming back and especially if Uncle Mike stays.

And a rotation of ZG, Framber, LMJ, Urkuidy, Javier ain't all that bad.

I was assuming Brantley elsewhere. You may be right regardless, and especially if we can get league average out of LF or CF.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Altuve
Bergman
TED
Alvarez
Correa

2020, although an outlier of a year with only 60 games, saw the Astros 14th in runs scored and 20th in OPS. That's with Brantley and Springer, but without Alvarez. You can disagree, but last year they were a mid-tier offense or below depending upon the metric.

Again, I get that last year was an anomaly and they might have just started cranking up when the playoffs began. Altuve and Bregman were not very good and likely won't repeat their performances. It's a debatable point for sure. However, to say they get the benefit of the doubt after losing Brantley and Springer, then factoring in Yordan's knees and Yuli's age regression, I think a legitimate argument can be made that the offense will not be a top producing line up as with years past.

I'm not convinced either way, but I'd probably wager more money on a 13-18th ranked offense than I would a 5-9th ranked one.
bluefire579
AG
bearkatag15 said:

That's a lot of $$$
Between that and Machado's deal, gotta wonder what their finances are going to look like in a few years. Window is definitely now for them.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

https://fansided.com/2021/01/08/mets-francisco-lindor-astros-bullpen-upgrade/

Astros actively trying to upgrade the bullpen

The Houston Astros are "the most aggressive" team in pursuing high-leverage relievers, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Reliever Blake Treinen was of strong interest to the Astros before he re-signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers, with Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reporting that the team hoped to sign both Treinen and Liam Hendriks. Such a move would have given the Astros two All-Star caliber relievers to pair with Ryan Pressly, with one team official remarking, "If we get to the seventh (inning) with the lead, game over."

The Astros, meanwhile, continue to pursue Hendriks and have also shown interest in free-agent reliever Brad Hand, according to league sources.

Hendriks, 31, is the consensus top free-agent reliever and would provide a drastic upgrade to the Astros' bullpen. Since 2019, he ranks first in ERA (1.65) among closers with at least 25 saves and his WHIP (0.897) ranks third behind Josh Hader (0.835) and Roberto Osuna (0.865). Hand, 33, is a free agent after the Cleveland Indians declined his $10 million club option. He is a three-time All-Star and finished last season with a 2.05 ERA in 22 innings and led the American League with 16 saves.

It is unclear if the Astros have similar visions of pairing Hendriks with Hand (or any other free-agent reliever) as they did with Treinen. But the Astros will need to get creative in finding ways to eat innings to take pressure off a young rotation that will be without Justin Verlander for most, if not all, of the 2020 season as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

Building a top-five bullpen may be their way of doing that.

Hendriks seems like an odd choice. We'd be buying extremely high for a dominant closer.

That seems very counter to the value strategy Click has traditionally pursued

Farmer1906
AG
2020 was Altuve & Bergman's worst season of their careers in a shortened COVID season. Like you said, Yordan wasn't there.

I'd be better on the other side assuming we don't stand pat.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Altuve
Bergman
TED
Alvarez
Correa

Damn. Fat Elvis gonna come back?
agproducer
AG
The big **** burger that is the Texans makes me appreciate the Astros even more. The Astros completely flubbed their handling of the sign stealing scandal and became league villains. The Texans are inept. They are completely tone deaf. They have wasted careers of great players.

God I miss baseball.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Altuve
Bergman
TED
Alvarez
Correa

Had the season of his career as the 5th starter for that great 98 team that picked up Randy Johnson for the stretch run and then got waxed by the Padres in the NLDS.

Ag_07
AG
So where are all these relievers we were close to signing?

[insert Vincent Vega gif]

I need some hot stove action.
Bobcat-Ag
bearkatag15 said:

That's a lot of $$$
After only 2 years!? I guess it's better than giving that to a 30 year old player, but that is a huge investment into one player.
W
AG
the Padres have lost their minds
tjack16
AG
Where is all this magic money the Padres are getting? Their attendance/merchandise sales have been horrible for a decade

It's not like the Astros 2017-beyond because all of our guys were still cheap and on their first deals besides JV and ZG
Big Al 1992
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

bearkatag15 said:

That's a lot of $$$
After only 2 years!? I guess it's better than giving that to a 30 year old player, but that is a huge investment into one player.

I thought Corona broke all the owners. Guess they had some cash stashed away.
redline248
AG
Put yourself in the shoes of a Padres fan. Would you be more interested in going to watch them today than last January?
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Put yourself in the shoes of a Padres fan. Would you be more interested in going to watch them today than last January?

No I agree. I'm just wondering where all this money has come from that they are spending. They can't have made that much in ticket sales and revenue the last 4 years
Ag_07
AG
It's from years and years of not spending.

They haven't spent jack on payroll in what the past decade maybe even longer?
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

bearkatag15 said:

That's a lot of $$$

I thought Corona broke all the owners. Guess they had some cash stashed away.
Throughout this the big money players have been getting paid. Its the upper middle class on down that are not.

Guys like Springer & Brantley will feel the brunt of this.
W
AG
the Padres might be the first franchise to have two $30 MM players tied together for so long.

Machado's contract runs thru 2028.

so there would be 8 years of both Machado and Tatis making $30 MM per year.

wow, even the Angels don't do those kind of deals at the same time
W
AG
note: the Marlins are paying $10 MM toward Giancarlo's contract in the final 2 years, so the Yankees are only paying Cole & Stanton big bucks for a 6-year period (2020-2025)
Farmer1906
AG
Judge should be getting his soon.
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
Agreed.
YNWA_AG
AG
we werent paying him 54 mil over 3 years
Farmer1906
AG
YNWA_AG said:

we werent paying him 54 mil over 3 years

It's 3-39 with an option for the 4th year. I hope we were anywhere close to that.
YNWA_AG
AG

54 guaranteed
Farmer1906
AG
What a strange deal.

11.333 M
13.333 M
14.333 M
Option for 15 M. If the club option isn't picked up it's a 15 M buyout over 10 years.
Mathguy64
AG
It's a Bobby Bonilla type deal, no?
BMX Bandit
W said:

the Padres might be the first franchise to have two $30 MM players tied together for so long.

Machado's contract runs thru 2028.

so there would be 8 years of both Machado and Tatis making $30 MM per year.

wow, even the Angels don't do those kind of deals at the same time
the Tatis "deal" turned out to be fake news.

But even if it were, its a safe bet he wouldn't be making $30mm/year starting now. that probably would not kick in for at least 5-6 years
CFTXAG10
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Agreed.

"You guys mind if we dance with yo dates?"
Marvin
AG
YNWA_AG said:

54 guaranteed

That's just insane.
Gap
AG
Where does the Astros search for 2 guys to be at the top of their bullpen turn next?
YNWA_AG
AG
Hand, colome
Ag_07
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Hand, colome

Which still are not shabby options
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.