*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,592 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Colome is really good and should be reasonable. He's probably undervalued. But his lack of Ks for a reliever worries me.
Ag_07
AG
No worries...As long as he doesn't give up any grounders to 2B we're good
Farmer1906
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Ag_07
AG
Damn Benny would be a great OF piece and he's cheap but only under contract for '21 ($6 mm) and '22 (arb elg).

Not sure we have the prospects to make that kinda deal.

Would have to include some of the young ML ready arms and I'm not sure 2 years of Benny is worth it.
Farmer1906
AG
I think the Sox are looking to move on after the bottom fell out. He may not be all that expensive.

Mathguy64
AG
Huh. Those graphs look awfully suspicious in the 2018 year. I wonder what made that happen?
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
I know it doesn't change the graphs much but he only had 39 ABs in 2020 due to a rib cage strain.
YNWA_AG
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Huh. Those graphs look awfully suspicious in the 2018 year. I wonder what made that happen?

Video guy acted alone...
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What would we have to give up to get him is my worry
Farmer1906
AG
If the Sox are looking to move a relatively cheap player under control for 2 years then there is a reason.
redline248
AG
I think Benintendi is a major D-bag, so I don't want him. Plus, he played at Arkansas
Farmer1906
AG
He was a killer at Arkansas too. He outshined Bregman and Swanson.
W
AG
his numbers have declined no doubt.

but the Astros don't need him to be a star.

.775 OPS in the bottom half of the order would be okay
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64
AG
So we trade for Benitendi. We take him off for Red Sox hands and in return convince him not to tell the world that they cheated their ass off in '18.
redline248
AG
I didn't realize how hurt we were for draft picks. From Rosenthal:
Quote:

Free-agent catcher J.T. Realmuto is a fit for the Astros, at least from a baseball perspective. But the quality of the draft picks the team would sacrifice for signing Realmuto, or any other free agent attached to a qualifying offer, likely will be severe enough to limit the club's interest, if not eliminate it entirely.

The Astros face a double whammy because of the penalties they received for stealing signs illegally in 2017 and '18, and for exceeding the luxury-tax threshold last season. The first offense cost them their first- and second-round picks in both '20 and '21. The second, according to a strict reading of the collective-bargaining agreement, should have cost them their fourth- and seventh-rounders, plus $1 million from their international signing bonus pool in '22. But Major League Baseball did not allow them to get off that easily.

Rather than permit the Astros' sign-stealing penalty to effectively reduce their luxury-tax penalty, the league determined that if the team signed a free agent attached to a qualifying offer, it would lose its third pick in '21 (a fifth-rounder) along with its second pick in '22, plus the $1 million from its international bonus pool.

One more variable could alter the equation, albeit slightly: If the Astros lose outfielder George Springer to free agency, the pick they would receive, a selection at the end of the fourth round, would become the one they lose, replacing the fifth rounder.

Even before this offseason, the Astros had never signed a free agent attached to a qualifying offer. They badly need bullpen help after losing out on bids for free agents Blake Treinen and Liam Hendriks, as well as an outfielder. It's probably not the best time for them to lose two more high draft picks, on top of the four they already will forfeit, for signing Realmuto or a free agent like him.
Ag_07
AG
Rob Manfred...The gift that keeps on giving
TRM
AG
Crane was an idiot for not going scorched earth on MLB for those penalties.
Farmer1906
AG
Doesn't matter we're not signing anyone who got the QO.

Edit: it matters we have fewer picks, but the additional annoyance of the QO loss of a pick doesn't matter.
CFTXAG10
AG
TRM said:

Crane was an idiot for not going scorched earth on MLB for those penalties.
And yet, for some of his shortcomings, he is the best owner in the City of Houston right now. Not that it says much
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If the Sox are looking to move a relatively cheap player under control for 2 years then there is a reason.
Circling back to Benitendi.

Cons:
  • Not a good fielder
  • questionable home/road splits
  • huge drop off in limited play in 2020
  • doesn't hit lefties well
  • will cost some assets to get him
  • Probably will never match his 2018 season (wRC+ 122) and was largely average the other full years.

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Buying low
  • 2 years team control
  • improvement over our current OFers not named Tucker

I think he's an option if we completely strike out in FA or the Red Sox basically give him away.
CFTXAG10
AG
Curious when the FA market will heat up. I see a spring training game on 2/27 against Washington in WPB. Still a little over a month away, but as a fan it would be nice to have a better roster outlook.
tjack16
AG
If we are getting Red Sox OF, I'd rather go JBJ in free agency

But if we can get Benentendi cheap then I'm cool with it
redline248
AG
does JBJ have a QO?
Farmer1906
AG
No. He would have accepted it.

Kevin Gausman & Marcus Stroman accepted.

Trevor Bauer, DJ LeMahieu, J.T. Realmuto, & George Springer declined.
Marvin
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Curious when the FA market will heat up. I see a spring training game on 2/27 against Washington in WPB. Still a little over a month away, but as a fan it would be nice to have a better roster outlook.

Damn, Mrs. Marvin and I just made the decision not to travel this spring. We are assuming there will be a lock down of players for pictures, autographs and the like. No watching back field practices or talking on the fence lines... again, I'm assuming this will be the case. It sucks, because Grapefruit baseball is an annual pilgrimage for us.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

does JBJ have a QO?

No Boston didn't give him one
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Hopefully the next Ryan Pressely and not the next Joe Biagini.
redline248
AG
Can't believe a righteous former Dodger would agrees to play for a bunch cheaters.

What's the book on him? High K/inning guy, looks like.
mAgnoliAg
AG
He's a hard thrower also right? 96,97 guy?
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.