*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,558 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That officially cements is getting our ass kicked in the Lareano trade. I would have liked to see Bailey get a real shot in the bigs.

We did the Laureano trade because we couldn't protect him from the Rule 5 draft. The error was more on the scouting side and not putting him on the 40. Once teams knew we weren't going to protect him, we didn't have much leverage in a trade. So we were never going to get fair compensation for him.
W
AG
Reid Ryan is one of the all-time got-out-before-the-roof-caved-in guys.

I'd say everything worked out great for him.

like that executive that left Enron a year or two before the collapse. Brilliant timing
redline248
AG
tjack16 said:

TarponChaser said:

Do we consider Tyler Ivey an Ag? Named to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.

Big deal for him. His old man and I used to work together so I've known the kid since he was like 11.

It's the same debate if you consider Kyler murray an Aggie

I'd say once an Aggie always an Aggie, but it's unfair for us to claim credit for him.
He's an Aggie

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/TWCNews/005fbc95_jpg

Don't know why first link won't embed
tjack16
AG
Still remember being at that game so vividly. Such a fun night and iconic moment
Farmer1906
AG
I wish baseball free agency was more like the NBA.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I wish baseball free agency was more like the NBA.

I don't. Basketball free agency is so difficult to follow with all of the sign and trades, contract stipulations, salary cap but not really a salary cap

Baseball is so much easier to follow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1656251-idiots-guide-to-the-new-nba-free-agency-rules.amp.html
Farmer1906
AG
I'm not taking about the salary system. I'm taking about the furry of excitement and moves. It's 2-3 days of awesomeness.
tjack16
AG
True. It seems like we aren't going to know the status of our team until the last possible minute.
TXAGcommenter
AG
James Click sucks
MosesHallRAB04
AG
GarrettL_15 said:

James Click sucks

Why? Did I miss something?
BMX Bandit
3rd grade. Click took GarretL_15's pack of goldfish and called him turdbreath.
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG

He's too rich for our blood, but it's going to suck if he goes to an AL contender.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...The Rays are a contender. It'd be nice if he gets moved to a non contender.

And I would imagine Snell wants out after how Cash handled him during the WS.

Honestly I'd be a nice get for a team like the White Sox or Tigers. Imagine if the Tigers traded for Snell and signed Springer with Hinch at the helm. That'd speed up their rebuild quite quickly.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
It would be stupid to trade him. They just got to the WS. Unless they are losing a ton of other players it just doesn't make sense.
Farmer1906
AG
Rays are all about flipping assets before they lose value (see Archer for Glasnow & Meadows). Chemistry is one thing the Rays has going for them. A very disgruntled ace might throw a wrench in that.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Rays are all about flipping assets before they lose value (see Archer for Glasnow & Meadows). Chemistry is one thing the Rays has going for them. A very disgruntled ace might throw a wrench in that.
I'm wondering if Click will follow that line of thinking... I hope he doesn't (especially with guys like Correa)
Farmer1906
AG
We're in a different situation. Crane has shown he's willing to spend and sign guys to extensions.
Ag_07
AG
So this morning I hear the Astros are apparently interested in DJ Lematheu.

According to Rosenthal Correa has been mentioned as a trade piece and they'd be interested in DJ as a Correa replacement.

I'm not sure if I believe that. Or maybe I don't wanna believe it.
Farmer1906
AG
What sense does that make? DJ doesn't even play SS unless your sliding Bregman over and playing DJ at 3rd. If that's your back up plan because Correa is leaving then I guess there could be worse ideas, but signing Correa has to be plan A, B, & C. Money is coming off the books.
Farmer1906
AG
Found it

Ag_07
AG
The only sense it makes to me is you sign DJ for cheaper than you sign Correa and you get the assets from a Correa deal.

But after last season it's clear this is Correa's team and he's the leader. Would hate to see him leave along with losing George.

Ironic we're having this discussion after you mentioned the Rays flipping assets and what not.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
100% DJ will be cheaper. On a per year based but also on the overall length of the deal. Correa is going to want a 10 year mega deal. I figured we'd give it to him with all the other moves we've made to clean space.

Yeah it is kind of funny. I 100% didn't expect it. I will understand it (like letting George walk) but damn it still sucks.
tjack16
AG
DJ is awesome... but I don't want him if it means we have to lose Correa.

If Yordan was an everyday outfielder (which we know now that he's not even a every other day outfielder0 then I'd love to get DJ and have him rotate with Altuve at 2B and DH.
redline248
AG
If the Astros don't do everything possible to sign Springer AND THEN trade Correa I will be ****ing done with this team.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Correa damn near rescued favorite player status for me this year. You can't trade that guy.
Deluxe
AG
My eyes perked up with this DJ report because there's nothing I love more than overanalyzing outside-the-box ideas that are unlikely to happen.

I guess there's a few factors that I wish we had more insight to:

1) Crane's financial situation
2) What Correa/agent are asking for behind the scenes
3) Whether or not Crane has any intent to further break up the 2017 band

I had come to terms with Springer leaving partially because I thought we're bookmarking money to retain Correa. With no Springer, Greinke/LMJ likely gone after 21, JV retained after 21 for much cheaper than current salary, etc, I thought we'd have plenty leftover to give Correa his megadeal. But also not sure if megadeals are gonna be the MO of this org.

I like LeMahieu alot. Judge/Stanton/Torres are the savages (lol) but DJ is the guy I don't want to face in October. Always plays hard and gives a tough AB. A 3-4 year deal for him seems more in line with our organizational MO than a 10 year deal for Correa.

If you told me that we could get a haul for Correa comparable to the Rays' haul for Archer (ie a Glasnow and Meadows equivalent), that would certainly make things more interesting. Especially considering our farm is looking a little weak right now. But trading a franchise caliber player and expecting prospects received in return to pan out is a risky game.

I hope we don't over think this. Correa needs to be a cornerstone of this franchise. We should be able to make it work from a long term salary perspective. Just pay the guy.
Deluxe
AG
The loss of draft pick associated with signing DJ is an underrated factor here
Farmer1906
AG
Well said.
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

If you told me that we could get a haul for Correa comparable to the Rays' haul for Archer (ie a Glasnow and Meadows equivalent), that would certainly make things more interesting.

I'm not sure we should pass that up. I don't see Crane throwing out a modern day ARod type of deal to anyone, and that's what Correa will want. The risk is that he walks like Springer is doing.
Deluxe
AG
Marvin said:

Deluxe said:

If you told me that we could get a haul for Correa comparable to the Rays' haul for Archer (ie a Glasnow and Meadows equivalent), that would certainly make things more interesting.

I'm not sure we should pass that up. I don't see Crane throwing out a modern day ARod type of deal to anyone, and that's what Correa will want. The risk is that he walks like Springer is doing.
I'm guessing we're in the minority relative to the rest of this thread but I'd consider that too. If he's saying behind the scenes that he wants 10/$330mm and we have an opportunity this offseason to deal him for a couple high level prospects with 6-7 years of controllability, can't rule that out.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

Marvin said:

Deluxe said:

I'm guessing we're in the minority relative to the rest of this thread but I'd consider that too. If he's saying behind the scenes that he wants 10/$330mm and we have an opportunity this offseason to deal him for a couple high level prospects with 6-7 years of controllability, can't rule that out.
While I don't disagree this is a possibility.... I'd beyond hate losing correa since he's my favorite Astro now that springer is likely leaving and Correa is so clutch in october. Losing Springer, Correa, JV, Osuna and possibly Brantley for 2021 basically takes you out of title contention this next season. To me this would be inexcusable since we still have a very talented core. Our window is already closing, so Crane/Click can't and shouldn't do anything to make our window close faster.
astros4545
AG
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

Found it

It all depends on what you get for Correa. No doubt it is more valuable than the draft pick you lose for signing DJ and DJ is no doubt cheaper both in annual pay as well as deal length. That swap could make sense.
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.