*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

404,772 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Mathguy64 said:

They are getting ready to cheat their way to another WS.
Their managerial choice indicates this is probable
Farmer1906
AG
I love George, but he's not Betts. He's also entering the end of his best years. Betts is 2-3 years younger.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I love George, but he's not Betts. He's also entering the end of his best years. Betts is 2-3 years younger.
Those are correct statements
PSully97
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If I am the GM and I have 50 M coming off the books in the OF, here is how I spend it reasonably.

Plan A: 42 M over 2 years.
JBJ - 2 year, 18 M. He may hit like Reddick but he's not overly expensive and plays an elite CF.
Brantley - 2 year, 24 M. He should stay above average with his stroke. Plus Yordan will need breaks even if he's just DHing.

Plan B: 2 years, 41 M
JBJ - 2 year, 18 M.
Pederson - 2 year, 20 M. Don't care how big of a dbag he is. He hits righties at a very very high level.
Reddick - 1 year, 3 M. He's just there to platoon with Pederson. He should be cheap. He wants to stay. He's above average vs righties and his declining defense matters less in LF.

Plan C: less than A & B. We better resign Correa if we go this route.
Replace JBJ with Marisnick and be willing to go up a little Brantley or Pederson. No other good realistic hitting options out there.
I hope we do not get JBJ. I know the options out there are limited, but I'd rather have a player that can affect the game in the batter's box more than he can, even if the defense is not elite. He's on the wrong side of 30 and the speed is always the first thing to go. Then we are stuck with the CF version of post-2017 Reddick.
Deluxe
AG
Assuming we aren't bringing Springer back, what would be your plan for CF if not JBJ?
Farmer1906
AG
I get what you're saying. That is why you only do a 2 year deal.

Say we don't get him. Who do you get to play center? Straw? The options are really limited and there isn't a better bat than JBJ unless you want to shift Tucker to CF or sign Springer. I love TED but I'm not sure he's the right guy can CF. He can probably get by and be serviceable. We all know Springer ain't coming back.
PSully97
AG
Sign a good defensive CF like Marisnick or someone else cheap for 1-2 years. Slide Tucker over to CF when the situation is right with the park and the guy on the mound. Give Straw chances if/when possible. I don't think Tucker is ready to be a full-time CF, but I think he can eventually be capable just like George was.

I'd rather have Brantley + Tucker + Adam Eaton than Brantley + JBJ + Tucker.

I'd also rather have Brantley + Tucker/Jake + Tucker/aging OF that can mash on a 1-yr deal and spend the money you save on the bullpen.

Farmer1906
AG
Eaton will be 32 and has shown some signs of decline at the plate. His speed has dropped too. This is a pretty big defensive sacrifice for a potentially small improvement in the 7/8 hole of the line up. Agree to disagree here.
PSully97
AG
I didn't do a lot of research and maybe Eaton is a bad example. I thought he was a plus defensive corner OF that could hit.

Looking at the numbers now I see that Eaton had a subpar 40 games and JBJ had a good 50 games and I don't think I'd put too much stock in that.

But whatever, let's say Eaton is the wrong guy and instead of arguing specific players, I'll just say that for the same money I think you can get a corner OF that can hit and some help in the bullpen instead of paying a premium for JBJ's defense. CF defense matters, but I think too much is made of it and good hitters and a good bullpen impact the game more relative to what you pay for them.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I can't see Springer going to Boston with Cora being there. I imagine there would be some awkwardness given the fact some of the players interviews about 2017 were focused on implicating Cora as a mastermind of the "scandal".
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Dan Shedd said:

Is it bad I wish they were AA and Corpus would be AAA...so a better crop of minor leaguers were close to home to watch

And what I mean is better young talent, not a collection of mainly AAAA players who arent going to make it to the majors like many AAA players
MAROON
AG
nm
Ag_07
AG
Yes.

When guys go on rehab assignments it will be nice to have them 30 mins from MMP.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545
AG
Ender Inciarte has 1 year left with Braves for $6million

I think he would fit in well a la JBJ/Adam Eaton
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Guessing Nova will take his place on the 40 later today. We'll almost certainly protect Whitley and Nova. Maybe Solis too but I don't know enough about him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020
Propane & Accessories
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Dan Shedd said:

Is it bad I wish they were AA and Corpus would be AAA...so a better crop of minor leaguers were close to home to watch

And what I mean is better young talent, not a collection of mainly AAAA players who arent going to make it to the majors like many AAA players
I wish they had stayed in Round Rock, reading the quotes it seems like the Astros are trying to distance themselves from Ryan, why is that?

What happens to the Express now, since Sugar Land was unaffiliated there are theoretically no open slots so do the Express now become independent?
07ag
AG
Propane & Accessories said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Dan Shedd said:

I wish they had stayed in Round Rock, reading the quotes it seems like the Astros are trying to distance themselves from Ryan, why is that?

What happens to the Express now, since Sugar Land was unaffiliated there are theoretically no open slots so do the Express now become independent?
i heard probably back to the rangers, and nashville would lose out
https://ts.la/eric59704
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yes.

When guys go on rehab assignments it will be nice to have them 30 mins from MMP.
I dont think they really care what level the rehab assignments happen, in the past we used Corpus as rehab often, especially when AAA was in Oklahoma. So if Skeeters were AA they would still use that.

Just seems like there is more raw talent in AA usually and that would be fun, either way I look forward to going, id probably buy some kind of ticket package if I lived closer
Deluxe
AG
Armenteros claimed by the D-Backs. We now only have 35 on the 40 man. Should find out soon which Rule 5 eligible players we're going to protect.
tjack16
AG

Might not be a bad, cheap bench bat that we can pick up. Had a bad year last year but did hit 33 HR in 2019
dcaggie04
AG
http://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1329936521529536512/photo/1

Today's moves
Farmer1906
AG
I wouldn't mind him as a 4th or 5th OFer.
Farmer1906
AG
That officially cements is getting our ass kicked in the Lareano trade. I would have liked to see Bailey get a real shot in the bigs.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

ACTUALLY he would be ideal to platoon with Joc. Hunter hits lefties and plays some serious D. Joc crushes righties. Make it happen Click.
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

ACTUALLY he would be ideal to platoon with Joc. Hunter hits lefties and plays some serious D. Joc crushes righties. Make it happen Click.

Surprising to see a guy as big as Renfro play such good D

But I'm convinced he could against us when it mattered
tjack16
AG
Ag4life80
AG
Crane mishandled the Reid Ryan/transfer of power to Jr. Crane thing. Good Lord, all he had to do was give his kid a different title. There is some raw feelings on the Ryan side for sure.
Ag_07
AG
I always understood it as Reid stepped away then Crane put his son in that position. I could be wrong but I always thought the Ryans started distancing themselves after the Taubman incident
TarponChaser
Do we consider Tyler Ivey an Ag? Named to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.

Big deal for him. His old man and I used to work together so I've known the kid since he was like 11.
tjack16
AG
TarponChaser said:

Do we consider Tyler Ivey an Ag? Named to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.

Big deal for him. His old man and I used to work together so I've known the kid since he was like 11.

It's the same debate if you consider Kyler murray an Aggie

I'd say once an Aggie always an Aggie, but it's unfair for us to claim credit for him.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
tjack16 said:

TarponChaser said:

It's the same debate if you consider Kyler murray an Aggie

I'd say once an Aggie always an Aggie, but it's unfair for us to claim credit for him.

I hated seeing him leave. Thought he was going to be really good for the maroon and white.
Ag4life80
AG
No, it was not by choice for Reid Ryan to get demoted and humiliated by Crane. Our family has a personal friendship with someone way high in the organization, and when the announcement came down, that person was stunned and upset. Reid was well-liked and admired within the organization.
07ag
AG
Ag4life80 said:

Crane mishandled the Reid Ryan/transfer of power to Jr. Crane thing. Good Lord, all he had to do was give his kid a different title. There is some raw feelings on the Ryan side for sure.
perhaps, but we don't know what happened behind the scenes. maybe crane planned to do exactly that, and did the right thing, respectfully approaching reid with this plan. if i was reid, i'd say let's cut the bs, do whats best for the team, give him the real title and i'll stay a year for the transition. if reid had ruffled feathers about a poorly handled transition he'd probably have left immediately.
https://ts.la/eric59704
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.