*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,437 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
your first point is for sure a factor. Haven't heard about your second point. He also wants to go home to the East Coast is what I've heard. There are some other things internally as well, but I think the two I mentioned are the most important things.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
redline248
AG
So, if the Astros had called him up a year earlier he would have hit free agency last year? So he would have just signed a big deal and bailed on Houston a year early?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

So, if the Astros had called him up a year earlier he would have hit free agency last year? So he would have just signed a big deal and bailed on Houston a year early?

George just finished his 7th season at 31 years old. He's made 37 M. This year he may get another 100-125 M for the next 4-5 years. If he plays after that it'll be much smaller deals. He may end up making 175 M in his career. Maybe.

If the Astros bring George up in at 23 or even at the start of the 2014 season. He could have hit the market at 29 or 30. If he he hits the market at 29 with 37 M in the bank (what he has now) he'd be much more likely to get Something like 7 year 200 M.

The Astros savvy move to bringing him up slowly probably cost George a good 50 M, maybe more.
BMX Bandit
MAROON said:

Farmer1906 said:

I've seen some wild numbers thrown out for George. At 31 in this market, I have a feeling it's going to be on the low side. So low that a lot on here will be upset we wouldn't pay it. I hope I am wrong for his sake.
from what I've been told it really doesn't matter what the Astros offer (unless it was just stupid money). Springer is not signing with Houston. It's not a money issue - there are other things at work here.

Who told you this?
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

George just finished his 7th season at 31 years old. He's made 37 M. This year he may get another 100-125 M for the next 4-5 years. If he plays after that it'll be much smaller deals. He may end up making 175 M in his career. Maybe.

If the Astros bring George up in at 23 or even at the start of the 2014 season. He could have hit the market at 29 or 30. If he he hits the market at 29 with 37 M in the bank (what he has now) he'd be much more likely to get Something like 7 year 200 M.

The Astros savvy move to bringing him up slowly probably cost George a good 50 M, maybe more.

Yep. Exactly right. And fans need to understand, George probably loves his teammates and may love the city And probably lives the fans, too. Hell, he won a WS here. But it's a job. They don't view franchises in the same lens they view fans or the city.

It'd be no different than loving your co-workers and loving your clients/customers, but hating your management and the company that delayed promoting you, then gives excuses why they can't give you that raise, etc all the while just milking you for every ounce of productivity you have in you. I see it all the time.

Especially if you're nowhere near family. Sometimes it's just time to move on, even if the raise isn't that big. It's still just a job for him.
MAROON
AG
Two different people who talk to GS.
Ag_07
AG
And while yes it costs George lots of cash it was the right move for the organization.

No use in calling him up and wasting controllable years to play on crappy teams. It created the longest window of George paired with Altuve, Correa, Bregman, etc

They caught flack for it just like the Aiken deal and just like the Aiken deal it was the right decision for the franchise. It'll suck losing George regardless of why but if that's why then so be it.
MAROON
AG
100% correct
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

And while yes it costs George lots of cash it was the right move for the organization.

No use in calling him up and wasting controllable years to play on crappy teams. It created the longest window of George paired with Altuve, Correa, Bregman, etc

They caught flack for it just like the Aiken deal and just like the Aiken deal it was the right decision for the franchise. It'll suck losing George regardless of why but if that's why then so be it.
Yup. It's also likely he would leave in free agency anyway....just a year earlier.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Yep. Exactly right. And fans need to understand, George probably loves his teammates and may love the city And probably lives the fans, too. Hell, he won a WS here. But it's a job. They don't view franchises in the same lens they view fans or the city.

It'd be no different than loving your co-workers and loving your clients/customers, but hating your management and the company that delayed promoting you, then gives excuses why they can't give you that raise, etc all the while just milking you for every ounce of productivity you have in you. I see it all the time.

Especially if you're nowhere near family. Sometimes it's just time to move on, even if the raise isn't that big. It's still just a job for him.

My counter to this and it may be overblown I don't know. But George could have also been brought up earlier, or a person as a young businessman and because he was younger, less experience etc could have flopped. Could have dramatically hurt his own stock causing him to be sent back down and slowing the progression even further. This setback could have totally messed up his potentiometer and he never made it to this current state of being paid 100mill
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

My counter to this and it may be overblown I don't know. But George could have also been brought up earlier, or a person as a young businessman and because he was younger, less experience etc could have flopped. Could have dramatically hurt his own stock causing him to be sent back down and slowing the progression even further. This setback could have totally messed up his potentiometer and he never made it to this current state of being paid 100mill

While it's possible, it's also possible he improves sooner, plays his best at 27, wins an MVP and then makes 300 M.
W
AG
Springer's pending departure...also continues the Astros' trend of extending the players they want to keep...before they reach free agency. (Altuve, Bregman, Verlander)

or in another words...if the Astros don't extend a player the year or two before his free agency...the front office is planning to let him walk.

hopefully something happens with Correa during the offseason
Farmer1906
AG
It's a two way street. We tried to extend Dallas but he turned it down. There were talks of trying to lock George up before the season too. Carlos just seems like someone who wants to test the market. I could see us very seriously entering the competition and bidding way up. If we miss, Lindor, Story, or Seager could be a nice fallback plans. 2021/22 FA is the year of the SS.
CoachRTM
AG
Honestly, I really feel for George and hope he gets the payday he deserves.

He got team-controlled to where he doesn't hit FA until 31, and now COVID takes away all the disposable cash from teams the year he finally makes it to his payday.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

While it's possible, it's also possible he improves sooner, plays his best at 27, wins an MVP and then makes 300 M.

Or possible he foregoes college and came out as a high schooler and makes FA @24/25...nothing other than what was is a guarantee
Harry Dunne
CoachRTM said:

He got team-controlled to where he doesn't hit FA until 31, and now COVID takes away all the disposable cash from teams the year he finally makes it to his payday.
He's 31 and has made $40M, not including endorsements.

I hope he gets his but man I definitely don't feel sorry for him.
AggiEE
Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

At the end of the day, money talks almost 95% of the time in these free agent scenarios.

The person who held back Springer is no longer with the organization.

If the Astros give him an equal to or better deal, there's no logical reason why he would decline it and sign for a lesser offer elsewhere.

Given his circumstances though, I will not blame him for taking the highest offer from whomever extends it and wish him the best.
Gap
AG
Should we be real excited about a Jackie Bradley Jr. signing with the Astros?

He made his big league debut in 2013 and is now 30 years old.

He is a career .239 hitter even with Fenway as his home park.
Farmer1906
AG
He's like a higher ceiling Jake Marisknick. Maybe Reddick with more pop and elite defense. But he's our 7/8 hitter, not the guy carrying the team. And he's the signing the prevents Straw from being an everyday starter.
Post removed:
by user
Panama Red
AG
While I do think Springer is going to leave because a team will pay him more than the Astros, I'm not buying the story that he will not come back to the Astros regardless of the money they offer.

He's upset that he lost millions and millions of dollars because of the Astros going by the rules, so as revenge he is going to give up even more millions and millions of dollars? That just doesn't make much sense.

But even if he does feel that way, why would he be telling people that is his position? That makes even less sense. This is going to be his only opportunity of his career to test the free-agent market while he is still good. Is he really going to tell people that one of the bidders doesn't have a chance? That hurts is negotiation with other teams.
CoachRTM
AG
third coast.. said:

CoachRTM said:

i got laid off when oil crashed, got in to a job where im doing well and then covid struck and it killed the industry i was just about to break in to, and now i may never make it(would be a life changine job switch in a great way), but i boo hoo, life sucks. The difference is he has millions and millions of dollars and im just a regular middle class family man. Im not complainging either, because without life events i wouldnt be where i am at right now, which is raising an amzing family and doing what i set out to do when i started college. Will never feel sorry for these guys not getting the unbelievably massive pay daywhile millions of americans are losing their livelihoods right now and have much worse situations than a guy who might get a contract for 100 million vs 150 mill. again, boo ****ing hoo.

Calm down over there - I wasn't comparing him to you, I was comparing him to his peers.

As an example - Jason Heyward is the same age as George and has made $105 million in his career so far and has 3 years left at $21-22 million per year.

George is under $40 million - I'm just saying I hope he gets the $25-30 million per year he deserves, as this is probably his one giant contract opportunity.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
He probably already knows what the Stros are going to offer, or can reasonably assume.
BMX Bandit

Guess plans for stadium near Conroe off?
bearkatag15
AG
Bandit beat me to it
Anonymous Source
S
So what becomes of Round Rock?
Gig 'Em
bluefire579
AG
Awesome. Always enjoy Skeeters games, will be nice to have them with Astros prospects.

Only downside is no more Rocket/T-Mac type stunts
mazag08
AG
This was always inevitable.

Feel bad for my diehard, spring training every year parents who have lived 10 minutes from there for 40 years who just built their house to retire in College Station. Won't even get to enjoy it.
tjack16
AG
definitely looking forward to the skeeters being part of the system now. Love that stadium
AustinCountyAg
Hopefully skeeter prices don't go through the roof now with an Astros monopoly happening now.
AustinCountyAg
Jim crane giving the big middle finger to the Ryan family. I
shelbys99
Happy to see the Skeeters be involved.

Worried about my prices on the tickets.
spadilly
S
As a Suger Land resident, this is great news.
Deluxe
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Jim crane giving the big middle finger to the Ryan family. I

I was wondering if there was a side angle here. That sounds like it's it.
Ag_07
AG
Sucks that we just kiss all our Round Rock prospects goodbye.
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.