*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,015 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Jim crane giving the big middle finger to the Ryan family. I

Crane is getting closer and closer to blowing things up. Or having things blow up.
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
third coast.. said:

How so?

He's alienated the Ryan's somehow. He pushed Reid out and pissed off Nolan to where he up and quit. He handed Reid's job to his son who Im pretty sure has no actual experience running a baseball franchise on the business side. That's a very Jerry Jones/Cal McNair kind of move and never ends well.

He's lost his baseball management and only time will tell if the in field product can keep up with what it had going for it.

He's about to lose the heart of his team and his best pitcher and arguably the pitching heart is likely done here.

Add in what likely will be a huge financial hit from covid.

There is a fair amount off the field to be concerned about.

The young talent is there. The question is will it overcome the off field issues.
AustinCountyAg
While some of what you said is true, I will hold off on criticizing his son who took over Reid's job. Yes he's never worked in baseball, but he has ran plenty of other multi million dollar operations.

I have several friends in the energy world who've dealt with his son directly and they have nothing but praise for him. Not saying he won't/can't screw it up, but he's also a guy who does have a good deal amount of work experience. Time will tell, but I'm sure it's the type of job where much is delegated.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love George but if wants to leave, don't let the door hit him on the way out.

He needs to do what's best for George and the Astros did what was best for the Astros. If he is salty over a couple million when he has amassed generational wealth playing for the Astros, has a qualifying offer to increase that and benefitted from our pretty solid player development program, then enjoy being spit on by Yankee ****s and Bosox drunks when you don't perform.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

He's about to lose the heart of his team and his best pitcher and arguably the pitching heart is likely done here.

Not sure what he can do about either of those.
Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Not sure he can either other than open the bank for Springer over a shorter contract.

The question is what damage will it leave in its wake. I don't begrudge George getting his payday. It's not his fault. I just think he can't be replaced and the team will suffer for it.
BMX Bandit
But if Springer won't sign here no matter what the offer, then that won't matter.
Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

But if Springer won't sign here no matter what the offer, then that won't matter.

I don't agree with that premise. The MLBPA is very heavy handed on contracts. They don't like home town discounts that players willingly give because they believe it lowers the rates for all other players. And they will never let a player sign a lower value contract to purposefully leave. If Crane offered the most $$ he's not leaving.

He's not getting it here but if he did Springer would not leave. The PA wouldn't let him.
AggieLit
BMX Bandit said:

Guess plans for stadium near Conroe off?

Looks like the Astros will be the only baseball team with their AAA team in the same metro area. Was kind of nice having Round Rock with us and may have helped a little in pulling Austin towards the Astros vs. the Rangers (although just being the better team was the main thing). Apparently they're headed to the Rangers now. But this is good for Sugar Land and baseball options in Houston so I'm happy.

What was the Conroe idea?
bluefire579
AG
AggieLit said:

BMX Bandit said:

Guess plans for stadium near Conroe off?

Looks like the Astros will be the only baseball team with their AAA team in the same metro area. Was kind of nice having Round Rock with us and may have helped a little in pulling Austin towards the Astros vs. the Rangers (although just being the better team was the main thing). Apparently they're headed to the Rangers now. But this is good for Sugar Land and baseball options in Houston so I'm happy.

What was the Conroe idea?
When Crane first bought the team, there were talks about forming a new minor league franchise in Conroe that the Astros would own and have serve as their AAA team. Kind of dropped off after that, probably because the Ryans came on and Round Rock became an immediate answer to get it out of Frisco. Wouldn't be surprised if there were issues getting a stadium built up there as well that just weren't public knowledge.
BMX Bandit
Gwinnett Stripers immediately come to mind
JJxvi
AG
Tacoma Rainiers
AggieLit
BMX Bandit said:

Gwinnett Stripers immediately come to mind

Ok, should have read through the list more carefully. Still surprising how few.
cc10106
While Nolan has achieved plenty on and off the field, I wouldn't hold in the utmost highest regard like he does no wrong. He does what's best for him when needed just like Jim does.
JJxvi
AG
The Astros have been buying their minor league affiliates since Crane bought the team. They bought the Hooks from the Ryans almost immediately back in 2013. This is all kind of wrapped up in the ongoing minor league reorganization, so while the iron is hot the Astros are buying the Skeeters while the entire minor leagues are in a relative state of turmoil (huge numbers of clubs are going to be changing leagues).
JJxvi
AG
I also believe that one part of MLB's goal in terms of taking more control of minor league baseball, is taking geographic control of the team's and leagues involved. So it might not be surprising if many affiliates are moving closer to parent clubs than ever before.
JJxvi
AG
St Paul and Jacksonville are other likely additions to AAA.

St Paul will have to be Minnesota Twins. Jacksonville will likely become the new AAA for the Marlins. So Miami is going from Wichita AAA/Jacksonville AA to Jacksonville/Pensacola

As an example of how geography is driving this, potentially you are going to see all teams in the AL and NL West have teams in a 10 team pacific coast league, and all others in a 20 team International League.
JJxvi
AG
Another factor is that I'm not sure that the minor or major league teams actually can control their affiliates under the new agreements. MLB decides. So one way the Astros can exercise some level of control is to make sure they own the teams they want that are closest to them. So buying a team in such close geographic proximity basically assures that MLB doesnt decide to do something like take Round Rock off of them and give them New Orleans instead when teams in the future inevitably change.
W
AG
the move to Conroe is coming with the big league club...after MMP ages for another decade.

a la the aforementioned Atlanta Braves
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

the move to Conroe is coming with the big league club...after MMP ages for another decade.

Its been used 20 years. Its time to tear it down and build another crappier version right next door.

a la the Arlington Rangers
JJxvi
AG
I know y'all are really just joking at the expense of the Rangers, but in my opinion, Minute Maid Park has been an underrated jewel in every sense in terms of utility, aesthetics, location. It delivered on its promise in every conceivable way. There will need to be a large paradigm shift in what a club needs out of its stadium before the Astros will ever move. Reliant Stadium will probably be replaced well before MMP will be.
07ag
AG
Mathguy64 said:

W said:

Its been used 20 years. Its time to tear it down and build another crappier version right next door.

a la the Arlington Rangers
and at 5 times the price
https://ts.la/eric59704
AggieLit
cc10106 said:

While Nolan has achieved plenty on and off the field, I wouldn't hold in the utmost highest regard like he does no wrong. He does what's best for him when needed just like Jim does.
Has any other baseball player profited so much from associating themselves with two "home" franchises and playing the two off each other? It's like if Orel Hershiser went back and forth between the Dodgers and the Giants every time his setup with one of them got a little stale.
W
AG
there is truth there
Farmer1906
AG
That's funny. What makes it even richer is that he was at his best in Cali and an Angel. That is the hat he should be wearing in Cooperstown.
mwm
Please, don't let Joe Biden buy the Astros.
Beat40
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I love George but if wants to leave, don't let the door hit him on the way out.

He needs to do what's best for George and the Astros did what was best for the Astros. If he is salty over a couple million when he has amassed generational wealth playing for the Astros, has a qualifying offer to increase that and benefitted from our pretty solid player development program, then enjoy being spit on by Yankee ****s and Bosox drunks when you don't perform.

These posts crack me up. If you weren't getting paid what your peers were being paid and management purposefully held you back to save money, you'd be screaming like a baby and looking for a way out fast. The difference is you could leave at anytime.

It doesn't matter the amount of money you make, every person would feel the exact same way.
astros4545
AG
Mathguy64 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Not sure he can either other than open the bank for Springer over a shorter contract.

The question is what damage will it leave in its wake. I don't begrudge George getting his payday. It's not his fault. I just think he can't be replaced and the team will suffer for it.

We don't have to replace George Springer with one player

We can replace him...in the aggregate

Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Mathguy64 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

We don't have to replace George Springer with one player

We can replace him...in the aggregate

Its a joke, but its true.

How did we replace Cole and JV? With a bunch of rookies who showed out. None of them we ace worthy, but all of them were reliable.

We can't just find a George Springer bat out there for cheap, but we can still produce a top tier offense with Yordan coming back, having TED take Reddick's OF ABs, and having someone decent sign and play better defense than George.
Deluxe
AG
I don't like having to replace elite players. But when we do, replacing that elite player in the aggregate is by far my favorite way to do it.
W
AG
JJxvi said:

I know y'all are really just joking at the expense of the Rangers, but in my opinion, Minute Maid Park has been an underrated jewel in every sense in terms of utility, aesthetics, location. It delivered on its promise in every conceivable way. There will need to be a large paradigm shift in what a club needs out of its stadium before the Astros will ever move. Reliant Stadium will probably be replaced well before MMP will be.
it is an interesting discussion. Because the magnum opus for all sports owners is building their own stadium...their own palace someday.

the Braves played 20 seasons at Turner Field. I went to a series there in 2000 and it was a nice stadium with all the amenities of its time. It was not a coincidence that the new stadium was built just across the county line...into Cobb County. And out of Fulton County. I suspect the owners are very, very glad they got out of downtown Atlanta.

time will tell with the Astros. Some of the factors that drove the Braves to suburbs are definitely relevant to the Astros.

MMP will host its 22nd year of Astros baseball in 2021
cajunaggie08
AG
W said:

JJxvi said:

it is an interesting discussion. Because the magnum opus for all sports owners is building their own stadium...their own palace someday.

the Braves played 20 seasons at Turner Field. I went to a series there in 2000 and it was a nice stadium with all the amenities of its time. It was not a coincidence that the new stadium was built just across the county line...into Cobb County. And out of Fulton County. I suspect the owners are very, very glad they got out of downtown Atlanta.

time will tell with the Astros. Some of the factors that drove the Braves to suburbs are definitely relevant to the Astros.

MMP will host its 22nd year of Astros baseball in 2021
I just dont see there being any Houston suburb or surrounding county willing to pony up the cash for a pro stadium. Sure many of the O&G companies that have ads and many season ticket packages at MMP are now further west, but short of them plopping a stadium in a field by 99 soon, I dont know where else theyd go. The Woodlands/Montgomery County is too far removed from a significant portion of the Astros ticket base in town or in the other suburbs. In the end $$$ talks and if Montgomery County decides to fund a new stadium for a sweet deal for Crane/Astros, nothing is stopping them. However, Harris County and the Astros have been working well lately to spruce up and add amenities to MMP. Granted that probably only buys the local govt 1 year of goodwill from a team owner. It only took Bud Adams 2 years to decided the Dome renovation wasn't enough for the Oilers.
Pahdz
From an out of towner perspective in regards to stadiums, and I know many of you like to take road trips to other cities, nobody wants stadiums in the boondocks. When our group looks for our annual Texans trip (LOL that may become an annual Astros trip) if the stadium isn't downtown or in a desirable attraction heavy area (no Phoenix, cookie cutter stuff in BFE Glendale doesn't count) it isn't high on the list.
W
AG
I've been to a few White Sox and Tigers home games...in their new and old stadiums.

I wish they had been in the boondocks
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.