*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,418 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

I posted an article a couple days ago exploring whether or not MLB should just legalize some sort of grip substance. I'm not a fan, b/c I feel it helps out guys who just throw really hard and don't know how to pitch.
Or they could not throw as hard while controlling the bal. Because thats the thing. The junk on their arm/hat/wherever is giving them the ability to throw harder than they naturally can. Not that Bauer would admit to that. Or Joe Kelly, or Chapman or any other pitcher who loads. Now if a batter brings a loaded bat to the plate, these pitchers would lose their collective *****
Beat40
I just finished the podcast series from Ben Reiter, The Edge: Houston Astros.

Did anyone else listen to it in its entirety?

I personally thought it was a pretty good and fair series. I especially thought the last episode of the series is exactly the frustration from Astros fans throughout the ordeal.

I also thought the criticisms of the Astros were fair.

I think Jeff Lunhow comes off not good, and I think it will be a long time, if ever, that he finds a job in baseball.
Deluxe
AG
I listened to the whole thing. It was a decent synopsis of the saga I suppose. I was mostly just disappointed that he didn't have any real new information to share. It was basically seven hours of repeating stuff we already knew, with more Luhnow "I'm innocent" proclamations.

There's probably going to be alot of reporting on the scandal over the next few years. Podcasts, books, documentaries, etc. But I'm guessing none of them will be worth much unless they feature some key players going on the record to tell their side of the story.
scrimp
AG
It's because everyone is a frickin' hypocrite. If I cheat, it's gamesmanship, and I'm just doing what I have to do to keep up with everyone else. If you cheat, you are the scum that is destroying the integrity of the game.

Whenever you have millions of dollars on the line, individuals and teams are going to do anything they legally can, and anything illegal that they think they can get away with, to gain an advantage. In baseball, corking the bat, spitball/scuffball/foreign substances, and stealing signs are as old as the game.
Farmer1906
AG
Reminder. Don't give 30+ year olds long term deals.

JJxvi
AG
It's pretty likely that the contract he signed with the angels spans age 34-44 in reality.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

I listened to the whole thing. It was a decent synopsis of the saga I suppose. I was mostly just disappointed that he didn't have any real new information to share. It was basically seven hours of repeating stuff we already knew, with more Luhnow "I'm innocent" proclamations.

There's probably going to be alot of reporting on the scandal over the next few years. Podcasts, books, documentaries, etc. But I'm guessing none of them will be worth much unless they feature some key players going on the record to tell their side of the story.

But it was nice to see it consolidated in one place and I don't think Ben had a view that the Astros ruined the sanctity god baseball. I took away that he was trying to see how he missed it, ultimately blamed the owners and MLB for allowing an atmosphere for this type of stuff to happen.

I think he believes the Astros weren't the only team doing this stuff and believes the league did hang this all around the Astros' neck.

I thought the previous interview with Beltran where he pulled audio was interesting.
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe. On paper it's from 32-41.
Farmer1906
AG
Jose Ramirez should have won the MVP
agproducer
AG
I haven't listened to the whole podcast, but I've listened to the last two episodes. There is something Luhnow said about 30 minutes in to the final episode that baseball know it has a systemic problem and it was easier to pin it on one team.

Also, Luhnow's reaction to the Red Sox punishment was good.
Farmer1906
AG

I like Logan.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Educated take
Mathguy64
AG
Is he really suggesting the players should have told Manfred to pound sand? And that the MLBPA told ever other player that's what to say? That is not what anyone has reported.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I like Logan.
He's said from the beginning that it's more than the Astros.

Ben Reiter's episode 6 part 2 basically says the same thing.

Everyone knows it wasn't only the Astros, but fans love to have a villain and are a lot less willing to really find out what their team has been really up to.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Is he really suggesting the players should have told Manfred to pound sand? And that the MLBPA told ever other player that's what to say? That is not what anyone has reported.
Well, I don't know that the MLBPA would have come out and said, "the players would have never been in trouble for not talking and we failed to communicate that to the players." That would be a bad look for the MLBPA for sure.

Whether it's true or not that the players wouldn't have gotten in trouble based on the CBA is a different matter.
Farmer1906
AG

Here is the source.

Marvin
AG
I keep assuming that it's an either/or situation with Brantley and a new player. Has anyone heard about the team retaining Brantley AND adding someone like Bradley or Ozuna? Or not Brantley, but Bradley and Ozuna.

Just wondering if there's any talk at all about spending for 2 outfielders.
Farmer1906
AG
If we're spending for two I would take Springer & Ozuna off your list. Hell, even if it's just for 1 I can see us committing long term to either.

Clearly, we're trying to get JBJ, but there have been talks with Brantley too. No way to know if it's an either or. I would assume we'd pay for both. We have 50 M coming off the books in the OF alone. I would hope we can spend 15-25 M this year in short term deals to get get replacements.
redline248
AG
No one is going to sign Bradley or Ozuna before Springer, right?
Farmer1906
AG
Not always.

Wheeler signed a week before Cole last year.

Harper & Machado waited all the way until Feb before they signed. If George does something similar, I don't think he'd hold the whole OF FA class hostage.
Ag_07
AG
If a team wants to try and hash out a negotiation with George they may not but if Springer's asking price is out of your budget and you're pretty far apart why wait?
JJxvi
AG
Unless Crane just has to have Springer back, the team isn't going to sign him. Locking $150 plus million into one 30+ year old outfielder is not how a smart spending team builds a winner.
Farmer1906
AG
I've seen some wild numbers thrown out for George. At 31 in this market, I have a feeling it's going to be on the low side. So low that a lot on here will be upset we wouldn't pay it. I hope I am wrong for his sake.
W
AG
I don't see how a team can offer a big multi-year contract until they have a better idea about fan capacity for 2021.

if the owners thought they lost money in 2020...go ahead and play 162 games at full payroll with no tickets sold
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I've seen some wild numbers thrown out for George. At 31 in this market, I have a feeling it's going to be on the low side. So low that a lot on here will be upset we wouldn't pay it. I hope I am wrong for his sake.
I promise if it's less than about 30 million for the first couple years I will be pissed if he's not an Astro
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I promise if it's less than about 30 million for the first couple years I will be pissed if he's not an Astro

You absolutely will be pissed.
redline248
AG
Well now I AM pissed!
htxag09
AG
The headlines coming out of Boston now that Cora was hired back are absolutely laughable. It's like they completely forgot the Red Sox were punished for sign stealing. These are just that have popped up in my social media feed. Sure there are more out there

TMZ:
Quote:

ALEX CORA
On Astros Cheating Scandal
I SERVED MY PENALTY AND I DESERVED IT

NESN:
Quote:

Why Alex Cora Didn't Bring Sign-Stealing Tactics From Astros To Red Sox
' I didn't feel like we needed to do something like that, honestly'
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-farm-system-analysis-2020?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

This is a really good breakdown of the Astros farm system and some of the names to keep any eye on.
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-farm-system-analysis-2020?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

This is a really good breakdown of the Astros farm system and some of the names to keep any eye on.

Confirms what we all have discussed regarding the lack of position players. Good thing we have Altuve, Tucker and Bregman for a while, and hopefully Correa also.

Quote:

TOP 30 BY POSITION
C: 1
1B: 1
2B: 1
SS: 4
OF: 5
RHP: 18
W
AG
Yordan needs to find a first basemen's mitt in his spring training locker
MAROON
AG
Farmer1906 said:

from what I've been told it really doesn't matter what the Astros offer (unless it was just stupid money). Springer is not signing with Houston. It's not a money issue - there are other things at work here.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
redline248
AG
MAROON said:

Farmer1906 said:

from what I've been told it really doesn't matter what the Astros offer (unless it was just stupid money). Springer is not signing with Houston. It's not a money issue - there are other things at work here.
Am I going to also hate Springer after this?
n_touch
redline248 said:

MAROON said:

Farmer1906 said:

Am I going to also hate Springer after this?
Probably pissed at how he was treated coming up from the minors and then they way they treated Hinch.
Mathguy64
AG
If George ever let's it out he chose not to come back because of Hinch not getting to come back it will get really ugly for Crane. I hope that had nothing to do with it.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.