*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,489 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

He's a typical nerd/engineer type. Phenomenal at the science and numbers but awful with people and the soft skills it takes to lead.
I think you're projecting a bit. I don't know him, but everything that has been written about him prior to the scandal contradicts this. Obviously now his character has come into question and there is no doubt that he created a bad culture, but there are plenty of folks that are strong leaders and great with people that have character issues in sports.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-introduce-jeff-luhnow-as-new-general-manager/c-26132934

Jim Crane said:

"He's really been very successful in everything he's done, even before baseball," said Crane. "Getting to visit with him, it was easy to tell he's a great leader, he has great people skills and I know he'll do a great job with us."
Ag_07
AG
Yeah a bit of projection because I too don't know him but I'm just going off his interviews and statements.

This situation reminds me of the infamous NCAA infraction of 'Lack of Institutional Control'. Luhnow lost control and in his position that's his responsibility and he's done nothing but deflect.

That's why I've said all along regardless of if he was involved or knew of the sign stealing as President of Baseball Ops it's his responsibility to be involved and know.
Frok
AG
I think Luhnow is right, he clearly was the scapegoat so Crane could keep his championship and franchise.
Farmer1906
AG

Big balls there. I would expect Mets payroll to go through the roof. George may be the first big signing too.
Deluxe
AG
Good for George if Cohen is willing to give him 6/$160mm to lock him up. We'd all understand.

Trying to go from zero to winning a World Series in 3-5 years and doing it predominantly via big name free agent acquisitions seems like it will put the Mets on the Phillies/Angels path, but who knows.
Farmer1906
AG
You hire someone smart (like Jeff) to rebuild things internally while keeping things competitive at the big league level with spending should be workable. You can find great players drafting 15th each round and not 1st. Just don't saddle yourself with too many aging vets on long term deals.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Good for George if Cohen is willing to give him 6/$160mm to lock him up. We'd all understand.

Trying to go from zero to winning a World Series in 3-5 years and doing it predominantly via big name free agent acquisitions seems like it will put the Mets on the Phillies/Angels path, but who knows.
They already have good pitching on staff though and Alonso locked up for cheap.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Deluxe said:

They already have good pitching on staff though and Alonso locked up for cheap.
Big time slugger at 3rd too.

Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You hire someone smart (like Jeff) to rebuild things internally while keeping things competitive at the big league level with spending should be workable. You can find great players drafting 15th each round and not 1st. Just don't saddle yourself with too many aging vets on long term deals.
That's the blue print. Might take Cohen a few years to realize he can't outsmart the game by throwing big money around. In the meantime, good for George if he's a beneficiary.
Deluxe
AG
Alonso is certainly a nice piece. DeGrom locked in at $30+ mil to be the ace isn't bad. They'll have to pay Syndergaard similar money after this year or he gone. They still owe Cano $24 mil thru 2023. They'll have close to $110 million in 4 players if they sign George.

And that puts me at my daily limit for amount of time I want to think about the Mets today.
redline248
AG
I wouldn't be mad if the Astros were owned by someone that was willing to jack the payroll through the roof.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

I wouldn't be mad if the Astros were owned by someone that was willing to jack the payroll through the roof.
We could real easily resign Springer, Brantley, go get JBJ as a 4th OF and defensive replacement, JT Realmuto to catch, move Machete to back up, and then get Tyle Bauer & Stroman to sure out the roation. Easy 2021 WS right?
bearkatag15
AG
Hey guys, I'm back... that was a long month. It was almost worth it though.
Mathguy64
AG
Almost.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Hey guys, I'm back... that was a long month. It was almost worth it though.

A true hero
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
Interesting market indicator. There were projections that he would get a 5-6 year deal near $100mm.
Farmer1906
AG
Spotrac calculated his market value at 3 years, 50 M. I guess he's betting on getting >2 years 31 M next year (assuming the 3yr 50M was attainable).

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/marcus-stroman-15687/market-value/

Stroman has been good, but he's far from an ace.

Career ERA & FIP: 3.76 & 3.64
Best Season (2017) ERA & FIP: 3.09 & 3.90

Compare him LMJ

Career ERA & FIP: 3.70 & 3.29
Best Season (2015) ERA & FIP: 3.22 & 3.26

This may give some insight into what LMJ can get. Lance will hit the market younger and far less established as a workhorse.
Deluxe
AG
I trust Spotrac way more than the pundits who make their own projections, likely influenced by what agents are throwing around behind the scenes. Any team that gives Stroman 5/$100mm deserves the same fate as the Phillies.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

Spotrac calculated his market value at 3 years, 50 M. I guess he's betting on getting >2 years 31 M next year (assuming the 3yr 50M was attainable).

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/marcus-stroman-15687/market-value/

Stroman has been good, but he's far from an ace.

Career ERA & FIP: 3.76 & 3.64
Best Season (2017) ERA & FIP: 3.09 & 3.90

Compare him LMJ

Career ERA & FIP: 3.70 & 3.29
Best Season (2015) ERA & FIP: 3.22 & 3.26

This may give some insight into what LMJ can get. Lance will hit the market younger and far less established as a workhorse.
Agreed. Especially without the draft compensation tied to him next year, he should be able to beat that with a decent year.
RO519
AG
I'm already tired of the off season...
AggiEE
Would be nice to see the market so bad that Springer accepts the QO and goes to FA next year
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
Ags #1
AG
Is pedro leon signded. Everything I find on Google says expected to sign. Can't find anything that shows he actually is under contract
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

Is pedro leon signded. Everything I find on Google says expected to sign. Can't find anything that shows he actually is under contract
Can't sign yet. I believe the new date in mid-Jan, but it could have changed again.
Ags #1
AG
Thank you
redline248
AG
If I was the Astros, when George declined the QO I would have immediately said, "ok, how about this 5 year 130M contract?"
AggiEE
redline248 said:

If I was the Astros, when George declined the QO I would have immediately said, "ok, how about this 5 year 130M contract?"

We can wish but I fear he's gone. Hopefully we can get Brantley on another 2-3 year contract
redline248
AG
Yes, and I will be sad.
Deluxe
AG
A friendly reminder to everyone that Trevor Bauer cheated to win his Cy Young award this year

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trends-trevor-bauers-sky-high-spin-rate-league-wide-offense-finally-wakes-up/
scrimp
AG
It is kind of weird how arbitrary the line between acceptance and outrage over cheating is in baseball. Pitchers have been unabashedly using substances to improve grip/spin/whatever for several years. Go you youtube (when it's working) and you can find video evidence of dozens of pitchers with foreign substances on their uniform, and they aren't even trying to hide it.

And, I'm not defending the Astros with this--they pushed beyond the limits and did it in a stupid way that was easily identifiable after the fact. It's just interesting that foreign substances have become a big "who cares"...

Mathguy64
AG
Said it before and I will say it again. Players can and do cheat their asses off. They always have and they always will and no one cares. If a team even thinks about it the players loose their collective minds.
Deluxe
AG
Yep. Seems like a continual pattern.

Cheating starts. Cheating expands. Cheating grows so wide spread that it can't be contained or enforced without consequences that are damaging to the game. Ignored all along by league office, media, fans, etc. Finally some sort of trigger event puts it on the radar. Moral outrage ensues. Specific offenders punished while other similarly guilty parties avoid all blame. Rinse repeat.

Saw it with steroids. Saw it with sign stealing. Probably seeing it right now with pitcher substances.
Deluxe
AG
redline248
AG
I posted an article a couple days ago exploring whether or not MLB should just legalize some sort of grip substance. I'm not a fan, b/c I feel it helps out guys who just throw really hard and don't know how to pitch.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.