*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,152 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He did show this week that his arm was strong enough to throw past the bases
MAROON
AG
We will get a nice insurance payment for Verlander missing next year. Hopefully we can use that money to sign a #2 type starter or to increase the offer for Springer or Brantley
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
MaxPower said:

I'm gonna throw out some wacky offseason ideas / consideration. Let's assume you are able to resign Springer and extend Correa this offseason. That likely means every other free agent walks and you need to come up with some cost effective moves.

Greinke Trade - This would be the easiest move to justify but likely gets you kittle in return besides salary dump. Maybe you can get a solid reliever for him (Reds for Lucas Sims?). I like Grumpy but don't think we have the luxury of paying him $24M if we are trying to keep the core guys together.

Solving LF - This one is crazy but I think you at least consider Altuve in LF but if, and only if, you are able to find a 2B more easily than LF. I know it seems odd that a LF is hard to find but this years OF class is pretty weak after Ozuna and Brantley (who are out of our price range). If someone like La Stella can be had for half Uncle Mike's price you have to consider that option. A year or two away from the position may help him mentally after his defensive collapse played such a major role in losing the ALCS.

Altuve in LF? No way. He doesn't have the arm I don't think
bluefire579
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

MaxPower said:

I'm gonna throw out some wacky offseason ideas / consideration. Let's assume you are able to resign Springer and extend Correa this offseason. That likely means every other free agent walks and you need to come up with some cost effective moves.

Greinke Trade - This would be the easiest move to justify but likely gets you kittle in return besides salary dump. Maybe you can get a solid reliever for him (Reds for Lucas Sims?). I like Grumpy but don't think we have the luxury of paying him $24M if we are trying to keep the core guys together.

Solving LF - This one is crazy but I think you at least consider Altuve in LF but if, and only if, you are able to find a 2B more easily than LF. I know it seems odd that a LF is hard to find but this years OF class is pretty weak after Ozuna and Brantley (who are out of our price range). If someone like La Stella can be had for half Uncle Mike's price you have to consider that option. A year or two away from the position may help him mentally after his defensive collapse played such a major role in losing the ALCS.

Altuve in LF? No way. He doesn't have the arm I don't think
LF is typically where you stick someone who is more of a defensive liability because you can get away with not having as good of an arm as you need to make the throws from right or center. I'm not necessarily in favor of that move, but I don't think his arm would eliminate it.
Ag_07
AG
He can't throw 15' to 1B and you wanna stick him in LF?
tjack16
AG
If Yordan could be an everyday left fielder, a lot of our problems would be solved. Altuve could DH and split time at 2B with Diaz
BMX Bandit
Altuve will be everyday 2B. It's not even a discussion
agproducer
AG
Remember Biggio in CF? Altuve in LF would be a similar disaster.

Altuve will be at 2B next year.
Ags #1
AG
Not sire if we want a guy with potential knee issues playing the field
Farmer1906
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Altuve will be everyday 2B. It's not even a discussion

This
Farmer1906
AG
Yordan is the DH. Altuve is the second baseman. Diaz is out until it's player. We'll make moves to have options in the OF. Diaz will be part of the plan but very unlikely he's an everyday OF unless there are injuries.
tjack16
AG
Ags #1 said:

Not sire if we want a guy with potential knee issues playing the field

I was saying if his knees were that of a normal 24 year old professional athlete and could play outfield everyday in my hypothetical would solve a lot of our issues. Unfortunately his knees likely never will be even 75% healthy

In that hypothetical, you could afford to give Altuve a day off in the field whenever he's not 100% or struggling without taking his bat out of the lineup.

For the life of me I have no idea what Yordan did to mess his knees so bad
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
We are gonna find out soon that he's really 33
07ag
AG
astros only have 116 million committed for next season, and only altuve and bregman the 3 years after that,, they have room to do things if crane is willing to open the wallet for it. i'd bet his transport company is having a great year, so who knows
https://ts.la/eric59704
redline248
AG
For now, leaving Springer off the list. I promise, time away over the offseason will have Altuve back to normal.

C - Maldonado
1B - Yuli
2B - Altuve
3B - Bregman
SS - Correa
LF -
CF -
RF - Tucker
DH - Alvarez

Springer is priority signing. If we can't/don't sign Brantley, I guess Diaz could be an everyday LF. I'm not high on Straw playing everyday.
07ag
AG
i'd bet marwin is sign-able for cheap, he'd play a serviceable lf/rf

i wonder if kluber would be open to a 1 year "prove it" contract

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/09/2020-21-mlb-free-agents.html

wonder if we could make a trade for a pitcher like german marquez, rockies aren't going anywhere next year

springer hasn't listed his house for sale yet, so i'd say he hasn't ruled out staying here
Marvin
AG
Several "if's" here, but I don't think the window is at all closed if the Astros can approach the following:

- Resign Springer
- Pruitt comes back healthy around mid year
- Resign a healthy Brad Peacock
- Find a free agent outfielder
- Add a veteran low cost reliever

We have seen enough of Paredes, Javier, Taylor and Scrubb in my opinion for them to be big league contributors. Smith comes back which will help.

Kick the tires on Marwin Gonzales as a Brantley replacement? He might want to come back, so never know.
BCSGrubber
AG
Taylor Jones a potential option for LF?
Bulldog73
AG
It worked for Chuck Knobloch.
MaxPower
Bulldog73 said:

Carew moved to 1B around the same age and obviously we have the Biggio example. Keep in mind Altuve has already been grading out as below average at 2B for the last several years. If you look at fangraphs scouting ratings he grades well on movement (first step, speed, and instincts) but poorly in arm strength and mediocre in hands / release. That leads me to believe he could be an adequate LF where a big arm isn't as important, especially if you are still getting good range.
Farmer1906
AG
That's not a terrible suggestion. I feel like he's being groomed to replace Yuli at first in 2022.
07ag
AG
MaxPower said:

Bulldog73 said:

Carew moved to 1B around the same age and obviously we have the Biggio example. Keep in mind Altuve has already been grading out as below average at 2B for the last several years. If you look at fangraphs scouting ratings he grades well on movement (first step, speed, and instincts) but poorly in arm strength and mediocre in hands / release. That leads me to believe he could be an adequate LF where a big arm isn't as important, especially if you are still getting good range.

How about put altuve at 1B and let Yuli walk if he continues to look old this year
iamtheglove
07ag said:

astros only have 116 million committed for next season, and only altuve and bregman the 3 years after that,, they have room to do things if crane is willing to open the wallet for it. i'd bet his transport company is having a great year, so who knows

So I spent the afternoon building a spreadsheet to see what it would take to sign Brantley for another 2 years at $16m Per year, Springer for 5 years at $35m per year and Correa for 8 years at 35m per year. Pulled data from spotrac. Believe it or not, it actually is possible without crossing the luxury tax threshold.

You have to assume the above 3 would take those or similar deals, that you aren't re-signing JV or Greinke (and preferably trading Greinke For prospects this off season, though not required) and that you release Osuna and Devo and don't re-sign Reddick and Peacock. Those last 4 moves give you $29m that can be applied to Springer in 2021. No JV and Greinke in 2022 helps pay for Correa, Bregmans bump from $12m to $30m and a few guys hitting their first year of arbitration that year. Also assumed are things like we sign the Cuban outfielder Pedro Leon and he slots in for Brantley in 2023.

All of this is made possible thru 2024 because we have a slew of very good players who are either under team control (thus making about $560,000) or going into first year of arbitration in the next couple years (including Framber, Urquidy, Tucker, Yordon).

It also assumes we don't sign McCullers in 2022, so you have to be comfortable with our starters being Framber, Urquidy, Javier, Garcia and Whitley and the back end of our bullpen being Paredes and Taylor after 2022 (assumes you don't re-sign Pressley after 2022).

If I could figure out how to post the spreadsheet I would, but alas I'm an old
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
There are a ton of free agents that I wouldn't mind adding to the team. Easy to say looking at the list and having no clue what guys cost though...
Farmer1906
AG
What are you using for arbitration #s?
BCSGrubber
AG
I am very interested to see how the owners lost revenue in 2020 and potential lost revenue in 2021 impact free agency.
astros4545
AG
Springer won't get 5-35
iamtheglove
Farmer1906 said:

What are you using for arbitration #s?

I am using like for like comparisons (ie. Tucker's 3 years of arbitration roughly track Springers, Framber s tracks to what McCullers got, adjusted up to account for his TJ surgery years, etc). But those are a big variable that could swing the overall model. Also unaccounted for are things like the CBA which is up in 2022 and might impact free agency and Arb rules and things like how dead money and salaries for the 40 man roster impact the total salary. My assumption generally was that the 25 man roster would comprise 95% of the total salary and that the luxury tax would remain at about $208M. I am also unfamiliar with why some players have 4 years of arbitration snd others 3, so generally assumed 3 years of arbitration for all eligible.
iamtheglove
astros4545 said:

Springer won't get 5-35

Which is good for us
tjack16
AG
Option 1: sign both Springer and Brantley
Option 2: sign springer, Brantley walks
Option 3: sign Brantley, springer walks
Option 4: neither sign

I know which one we all want to happen... but what are y'all thinking is the result that ultimately will happen?

Personally I think we either get both to re-sign, or neither
n_touch
tjack16 said:

Option 1: sign both Springer and Brantley
Option 2: sign springer, Brantley walks
Option 3: sign Brantley, springer walks
Option 4: neither sign

I know which one we all want to happen... but what are y'all thinking is the result that ultimately will happen?

Personally I think we either get both to re-sign, or neither
I think if the money is close and 1 signs, then the other will as well. They are really good friends.
agproducer
AG
Hopefully, Click sees the value of bringing Uncle Mike on a 2 year deal with a third year club option. Re-signing George should be the priority though.

I'd like to see the Astros re-sign George. I think he will want 5 or 6 years. The Astros should go no longer than 4/120, imo.

I'd be ok with bringing Marwin back and Jake.

Click has some decisions to make, but he could get Springer back and make a few other FA signings and still keep this team will under luxury tax for 21 and 22.
JABQ04
AG
****ing Dodgers...... Hoping CFM gets another ring off theee asshats.
agdaddy04
AG
JABQ04 said:

****ing Dodgers...... Hoping CFM gets another ring off theee asshats.

Yep. Although I really don't want the ***** Diaz to get a ring either. Welp someone has to win I guess... can't believe the Braves choked that series away.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
agproducer said:

Remember Biggio in CF? Altuve in LF would be a similar disaster.

Altuve will be at 2B next year.
You need a guy in left that can jump to the top of the fence at the stadium for starters.

Altuve in LF is the best idea since the Astros experimented with Billy Hatcher at 3B one season and gave it up in spring training when his upper body was so bruised he couldn't lift the bat.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.