*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

404,781 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
EagleAg19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man I really hope we never see Springer in another uniform.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggiEE said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Click and Crane need to throw an offer to George that he has to at least think about it. Don't let him walk away - make it a hard decision for him then maybe Altuve, Bregs, Correa can y'all him into not leaving.

What do you think it would take? I'm really curious what someone like Springer is worth.

He's 31, great spirit and offensive numbers.

5/120?

4/100?

3/80?

I'd be a bit hesitant to take on a 5 year or greater contract. Ideally, a 4 year contract gets you to 2024 when we have other expiring contracts
And what is going to happen to contracts after this 2020 year where the teams are going to struggle mightily with revenue. I know all MLB teams are owned by multi-billionaires, but I can't help but see contracts lulling a little...
07ag
AG
BCSGrubber said:

I think there is a good chance that Robinson Chirinos gets bought out of his deal, owed $6.5M in 2021. He likely wouldn't command the same amount on the market.
i missed that he was traded to the mets,, had a down year overall though.
https://ts.la/eric59704
07ag
AG
here is to the 2020 astros, good riddance to the year 2020, and the return of the great times in 2021

https://ts.la/eric59704
MaxPower
It's not just a general question. It's a matter of which specific teams will bid on Springer? Who needs OF / offensive help and has $100M to spend? After the Red Sox, I cant come up with much. Even the Red Sox need much more help at pitching than offense. Most big market clubs are either not likely to spend big in free agency beyond resigning their own (Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs), aren't really competitors looking for a 30+ player (Rangers, Giants) or don't really need OF help (Mets). Perhaps the Blue Jays if they want to be aggressive in kickstarting the rebuild or the Braves if they don't resign Osuna. The Nats could also be a suitor but have some long term payroll issues of their own.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Signing Correa has to mission 1 Signing Geoge is 1A.

Brantley would be great if he wants to stay, but if he wants the Brinks truck, I don't think we can give it to him. He's getting to the point of his career where he will be DHing more than playing in the outfield. We've already got a DH (praying that Yordan gets better).

I'd like another big bat off the bench, our bench options for pinch hitting were god-awful in the post-season. And I love Yuli, but I think he was on a 1-year deal and he vanished at the plate. He'll be 37 next year, gotta be careful.
Deluxe
AG
Here are a lot of words. A LOT OF WORDS.

2020 RECAP

Maybe I'm a sick SOB, but I thought the 2020 season was very successful. Hurts to come back from 0-3 and almost pull it off, but we shot ourselves in the foot too many times in games 1-3 and paid the price. Rays were a great team all year. I think we were the better team this series, but hey, that's baseball. I tip my cap as they make their run at the World Series. And if they win the World Series, I hope Arozarena retires.

If someone told me we'd make the ALCS after all the pitching losses + Yordan. I'd have called them a GD fool. But not only did we have success in 2020 and shut up the haters, we also discovered some pieces that should be integral parts of the team going forward. It was like a rebuilding year where we also won a lot of important games. I'll take 2020 rebuilds over 2011-2013 rebuilds any day.

CONTRACT STUFF

Free agents

Gurriel already resigned
Reddick he gone
Springer will we pay up?
Brantley afraid market will be too hot
Peacock candidate to return on short/cheap deal

Devenski and Osuna are highly likely non-tender candidates. Garneau is another possibility.

PITCHING OUTLOOK

Strong. <insert huge muscle flex>. Framber freaking Valdez went from rotation afterthought to legit ace and we got him locked up cheap for the next five years. Same with Javier, Urquidy, Taylor, and Paredes. Every team (other than maybe the Rays) would love to have that nucleus long term.

Before 2020 started, we all saw the post 2021 tidal wave of JV, Greinke and LMJ becoming free agents. Pitching staff beyond that looked very sketchy/uncertain. Now that situation is much much more manageable.

I'm really excited to see who steps up on the pitching staff next year. There's a ton of candidates: Abreu, Whitley, Garcia, Scrubb, Pruitt, De Jong, Perez, Bailey, Armenteros, Bielak, Nivaldo, Castallanos and Sneed. I'll be very surprised if 2-3 names off that list are making significant contributions by the end of next year. There's also probably some guys we've never heard of that will emerge next year. And maybe we'll finally write off James. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Regardless of how good our young guys are/might be, I suspect Click is going to be active in the pitching market this offseason. I'm not expecting anyone flashy, but some guys with experience that we can sign for value prices. Preferably guys who can start but also be molded into multi-inning relief roles. Wouldn't be too shocked if McHugh, Sanchez, or Peacock are looked at here. All three of those guys could be signed for very cheap 1 year deals and offer experience/upside if healthy. I suspect McHugh specifically would love to return.

It will be interesting to see the plan for Greinke. He looked so good for the first month of the year. By the end of the year he fell to fourth in the rotation. Not ideal to pay $22 million for that production but hard to gauge his market value. Might have the "Reddick" problem, in that he's worth more for what he can do for us on a higher-than-market salary than he is in a trade. I won't be shocked if we deal him but safest bet is that he returns and eats innings for us.

Thinking ahead to 2021-22 offseason real quick, for better or worse I think it lines up for us to let LMJ take a big contract somewhere else and retain JV on a series of 1-2 year deals for much cheaper than he's making right now. I don't think JV is done and will be motivated to return. Given their golf buddy nature off the field, I'm guessing Crane will make it a priority for him to finish his career as an Astro. Probably less risky than giving LMJ five years.

OFFENSE OUTLOOK

Like Mazag predicted in his OP, 2020 was the Year of Ted. And thank god because our 2021 outfield was looking very rough in the event Springer and Brantley leave. Instead, we now have an all star caliber bat in the lineup through 2025 at pre-arb/arb values. Cha ching.

With Tucker, Bregman, Altuve and Yordan (please let his knees be ok), we've got an offensive nucleus to build around long term too. We'll see if we're able to retain 1-2 of Springer, Correa and Brantley. Yuli and Diaz should be able to fill some short term gaps. Maldy returns behind the plate and I suspect the plan at catcher is just to sign vets to short term deals until Korey Lee is ready. Chirinos had a rough year in Arlington/NY. Might be perfect guy to bring in to give Maldy some rest. Better than Garneau anyway.

Our two best offensive prospects right now are short stops (Jeremy Pena and Freudis Nova). It's possible we see one in late 2021. Cuban outfielder Pedro Leon is a wild card. In the event we lose Springer and Brantley, I wouldn't be surprised if we let him compete for the left field job. But I suspect we're going to sign an outfield vet or two to buy us some time to find longer term options.

HOW I WANT/THINK THIS OFFSEASON WILL GO

Seems like first priority will be to gauge Springer's market and see if we're going to be in the running. My inclination is that he's going to the highest bidder (duh) and don't think the Astros are going to be the highest bidder. Starting to accept the possibility that "he gone" and will be pleasantly surprised if "he stay".

If Springer leaves, how much of that freed up capital will we be willing to plow into Brantley? Given that he'll probably only get a 2-3 year deal, it might make more sense to plow more relative AAV into him than Springer. Less long term risk. He's a pro and will continue to hit. His market might be hot tho. Like, real hot.

Other than those two, I'm hoping for a generally boring offseason. Maybe we try to backdoor an extension with LMJ or Correa but doubt either of them will be interested. Perhaps we take a few calls for Greinke but doubt we deal him. Signing a veteran outfielder and bringing in some experienced arms seem like the main priorities after Springer/Brantley make their decisions.

HOW I'M AFRAID THIS OFFSEASON WILL GO

Crane losing lots of $$ w Covid. Wants fresh start after scandal. This offseason becomes first in a series of slate cleaning offseasons. Springer gone. Correa traded cuz we know we won't be able to pay him. Blah blah blah. Don't want to think about this right now.

ANYWAY

Here's to a quiet offseason. I enjoy chatting Astros with all y'all. Might take a little break from the boards but will be back on as we start making some transactions.
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

It's not just a general question. It's a matter of which specific teams will bid on Springer? Who needs OF / offensive help and has $100M to spend? After the Red Sox, I cant come up with much. Even the Red Sox need much more help at pitching than offense. Most big market clubs are either not likely to spend big in free agency beyond resigning their own (Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs), aren't really competitors looking for a 30+ player (Rangers, Giants) or don't really need OF help (Mets). Perhaps the Blue Jays if they want to be aggressive in kickstarting the rebuild or the Braves if they don't resign Osuna. The Nats could also be a suitor but have some long term payroll issues of their own.

I've seen a few fan bases who think they are going in on springer.

Red Sox, Mets, Nationals, and White Sox seem to be the main 4. With an outside chance of Cardinals, Braves (if they lose Ozuna)

If he goes to the Yankees.... I'll cry
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Crazy that Altuve is younger than Springer
tjack16
AG
I think if Springer declines our offer and signs with another team (please god let him stay)... immediately we go all in on the Correa extension.

We need good news this offseason. Either one of those extensions would bring a lot of joy to Astros fans

I'd honestly be okay if Correa got close to a Mookie Betts type of deal. He's only 25 and still has at least 6-8 years left in his prime.
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Part of me would be sad but part of me would laugh.

Yankees have some big holes in their starting rotation and basically have to pay LaMehieu. If they look at their roster and think they're another righty power bat away from a ring, lol.
tjack16
AG
I'll be honest I'm probably not gonna watch the World Series this year. In 2018 I think I maybe watched five innings of it because I was still salty that we weren't there

I hope either the rays or Braves win it. But it's gonna be hard to watch
Marvin
AG
I think we'll need a couple of veteran bullpen arms, simply because we no longer have any depth to backfill for injuries... it's here already. Look at Raley for the target get. I wouldn't mind a closer, but I also wouldn't spend much to get it.

We'll need to find a couple of hitters. Just need the old Moneyball OBP guys, because our core lumber will still be intact.

Click needs to do his best Tampa impersonation at a couple of spots and the Astros will be back in the ALCS again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
redline248
AG
I've said before that I think the way to go is to front load a contract for Springer. Something like 28 or 30 million in the first year, maybe 2. Gradually decrease it in the later years. Try get 4 years with 5th year option, or just 5 straight up. I don't care.

20-22
tjack16
AG
Here is some good news that makes me feel better. Since 2015 (when our young core started to play together) we are the best franchise to win the World Series. We have sustained success like nobody else since our WS win.

2015 WS Champions - Kansas City Royals
2016: Missed postseason
2017: Missed postseason
2018: Missed postseason
2019: Missed postseason
2020: Missed postseason

2016 WS Champions - Chicago Cubs
2017: NLCS
2018: lost NL Wild Card
2019: lost NL Wild Card
2020: lost NL Wild Card

2017 WS Champions - Houston Astros
2018: ALCS
2019: American League Champions
2020: ALCS

2018 WS Champions - Boston Red Sox
2019: Missed postseason

2019 WS Champions - Washington Nationals

Astros and Cubs are the only teams since 2015 to make the playoffs after winning a title.
agdaddy04
AG
Never would've guessed Correa would be the one to become Mr Astro. I don't want to picture him in another uniform. He's obviously got leadership material.
agdaddy04
AG
Don't think the Cubs made the ALCS
tjack16
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Don't think the Cubs made the ALCS

Ah good catch. I'll edit
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

MaxPower said:

I've seen a few fan bases who think they are going in on springer.

Red Sox, Mets, Nationals, and White Sox seem to be the main 4. With an outside chance of Cardinals, Braves (if they lose Ozuna)

The Yankees will only be at $170-175 million committed next year but will try to resign Lemahieu and lose 3/5 members of their rotation. They are likely to try to come in under the luxury tax to get a reset so I don't think they have the cash. The Red Sox will also be at around $170 million and their entire pitching staff is trash. They were 11th in runs scored this year and 2nd to last in runs allowed. They may be willing to exceed the luxury tax but their priorities in spending should be clear. The Mets were above league average in runs scored and below in runs allowed. They could acquire Springer and try to trade an OF but it certainly isn't a need. They seem like a good candidate if you want to trade Greinke to clear some $. The Nats could be a wild card. It's their last year with Scherzer under contract, they have some long term payroll flexibility and have been willing to spend on players deep into their 30s. They'd likely ask George to move to LF since they have a top tier defensive CF already.
Boiling Denim
tjack16 said:

I'll be honest I'm probably not gonna watch the World Series this year. In 2018 I think I maybe watched five innings of it because I was still salty that we weren't there

I hope either the rays or Braves win it. But it's gonna be hard to watch

I'll probably tune in to Morton's start but that's it
agdaddy04
AG
Thanks for starting this thread. Good work
agdaddy04
AG
Not even sure I can bring myself to watching that. He sure has an impressive postseason resume, but I really only like watching the Astros.
bluefire579
AG
In. **** the haters, proud of this team
Farmer1906
AG
Posting just to get the notifications. I'm ready to dive deep into the offseason.
mazag08
AG
In
tjack16
AG
Random offseason topic that doesn't really matter except for personal aesthetic preference. Banners at MMP

The 05 banner should be on top of the 2019 banner. (You go top to bottom or left to right when doing chronological)

And I'd like to see the other playoff banners along the left field wall as well. You can put them over the sponsorship signs over the Crawford boxes.
I dont like that you really can't see them anymore because they are spread out through the upper deck

I'd have the division champs/wild card banners stretching across to center field over the sponsorship signs along the train tracks

agproducer
AG
Random question: anyone have a good recommendation for a phone score widget for android? I've had Yahoo for years, and I've just had it with their coverage. The news headlines today were like, "All is right with baseball because the Astros lost."

I don't want ESPN either because on social media last night, they promoted Astros eliminated. I mean, really?? Congratulate Tampa Bay.

So, recommendations welcome.
Pahdz
Don't be so thin skinned?

I kid
agproducer
AG
Pahdz said:

Don't be so thin skinned?

I kid

That is quite funny. Nice!

It has nothing to do with being thin skinned. It hasn't been just one article with Yahoo. It's been several... all season long. Nothing positive at all about the Astros. I'm not looking for sunshine, lollipops and rainbows for coverage, and I'm ok with some negative coverage, but Yahoo columnists have constantly reveled in it.
MaxPower
I'm gonna throw out some wacky offseason ideas / consideration. Let's assume you are able to resign Springer and extend Correa this offseason. That likely means every other free agent walks and you need to come up with some cost effective moves.

Greinke Trade - This would be the easiest move to justify but likely gets you kittle in return besides salary dump. Maybe you can get a solid reliever for him (Reds for Lucas Sims?). I like Grumpy but don't think we have the luxury of paying him $24M if we are trying to keep the core guys together.

Solving LF - This one is crazy but I think you at least consider Altuve in LF but if, and only if, you are able to find a 2B more easily than LF. I know it seems odd that a LF is hard to find but this years OF class is pretty weak after Ozuna and Brantley (who are out of our price range). If someone like La Stella can be had for half Uncle Mike's price you have to consider that option. A year or two away from the position may help him mentally after his defensive collapse played such a major role in losing the ALCS.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yahoo sports? Are you also following the astros on myspace?
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

I'm gonna throw out some wacky offseason ideas / consideration. Let's assume you are able to resign Springer and extend Correa this offseason. That likely means every other free agent walks and you need to come up with some cost effective moves.

Greinke Trade - This would be the easiest move to justify but likely gets you kittle in return besides salary dump. Maybe you can get a solid reliever for him (Reds for Lucas Sims?). I like Grumpy but don't think we have the luxury of paying him $24M if we are trying to keep the core guys together.

Solving LF - This one is crazy but I think you at least consider Altuve in LF but if, and only if, you are able to find a 2B more easily than LF. I know it seems odd that a LF is hard to find but this years OF class is pretty weak after Ozuna and Brantley (who are out of our price range). If someone like La Stella can be had for half Uncle Mike's price you have to consider that option. A year or two away from the position may help him mentally after his defensive collapse played such a major role in losing the ALCS.

Honestly a Greinke trade makes sense. Try to get some decent prospects in return. Especially outfield or a good 1B prospect

I'd hate to lose him, but pitching shouldn't be an issue the next 3-4 years
spadilly
S
agproducer
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Yahoo sports? Are you also following the astros on myspace?

Yahoo and Tom are my only friends.
Deluxe
AG
Altuve to LF doesn't seem practical to start 2021, but it may not be a bad idea to pocket for later in case he struggles again.

Diaz can do just fine at 2B short term and our two best offensive prospects (Pena and Nova) are both SS that I'm guessing could easily slide over.

Don't think Altuve would be gunning guys down from LF but he could probly cover a lot of ground. As someone who likes outside the box thinking, this is interesting to toy around with.
Last Page
Page 2 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.