*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,463 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

agproducer said:

Remember Biggio in CF? Altuve in LF would be a similar disaster.

Altuve will be at 2B next year.
You need a guy in left that can jump to the top of the fence at the stadium for starters.

Altuve in LF is the best idea since the Astros experimented with Billy Hatcher at 3B one season and gave it up in spring training when his upper body was so bruised he couldn't lift the bat.

Wait, who in the world can jump to the top of the fence in left?
JABQ04
AG
agdaddy04 said:

JABQ04 said:

****ing Dodgers...... Hoping CFM gets another ring off theee asshats.

Yep. Although I really don't want the ***** Diaz to get a ring either. Welp someone has to win I guess... can't believe the Braves choked that series away.

Right? I mean everyone says this season should be marked by an *, so does it matter anyways? Or was that only when we were in contention and now it's a legit title. I'm so confused on things.
CFTXAG10
AG
JABQ04 said:

Rays in 5
agproducer
AG
JABQ04 said:

agdaddy04 said:

JABQ04 said:

Yep. Although I really don't want the ***** Diaz to get a ring either. Welp someone has to win I guess... can't believe the Braves choked that series away.

Right? I mean everyone says this season should be marked by an *, so does it matter anyways? Or was that only when we were in contention and now it's a legit title. I'm so confused on things.

If the Astros would have won it, asterisk.

If the Braves would have won it, asterisk.

If the Rays win it, asterisk.

If the Dodgers win it, media and fans will crown them as the best team of all time because they are choir boys and they had the title stolen from them in 2017 by the big bad sign stealing Astros. It would be the baseball gods making amends for the gross injustice.

That all being said, Go Rays. Go CFM.
aggiephoenix02
agproducer said:

JABQ04 said:

agdaddy04 said:

JABQ04 said:

If the Dodgers win it, media and fans will crown them as the best team of all time because they are choir boys and they had the title stolen from them in 2017 by the big bad sign stealing Astros. It would be the baseball gods making amends for the gross injustice.

Is this really the narrative? As a Braves fan, I've been impressed with the Dodgers, they've got good hitting, solid pitching & defense. Aside from all that, who wants the Rays to win? That's just silly. Rays as World Series Champions? Silly!!!
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Kashchei
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

agproducer said:

JABQ04 said:

agdaddy04 said:

JABQ04 said:

Is this really the narrative? As a Braves fan, I've been impressed with the Dodgers, they've got good hitting, solid pitching & defense. Aside from all that, who wants the Rays to win? That's just silly. Rays as World Series Champions? Silly!!!

I do. The Rays are infinitely more palatable than the arrogant, entitled, cum-guzzling Dodgers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I do. The last thing anyone wants is for the dodgers to win, but they're MLB's chosen ones, so I'm sure they will have the umpiring rigged in their favor. I want the to see their arrogant, whiny little _____ swept out of the world series.
Wonder what they'll say after getting beat this time... I'm sure they'll come up with some new excuse about how the Ray's cheated them out of it.

Everyone knows the dodgers have been cheating for years but MLB won't call them on it unless they have some Fiers personality on their team that needs to resurect his dying career. Screw that whole organization and all their smug fans and anyone who has ever played for them. I hope their franchise goes another 100+ years without winning a world series. They don't deserve it.
aggiephoenix02
EastCoastAgNc said:

I do. The last thing anyone wants is for the dodgers to win, but they're MLB's chosen ones, so I'm sure they will have the umpiring rigged in their favor. I want the to see their arrogant, whiny little _____ swept out of the world series.
Wonder what they'll say after getting beat this time... I'm sure they'll come up with some new excuse about how the Ray's cheated them out of it.

Everyone knows the dodgers have been cheating for years but MLB won't call them on it unless they have some Fiers personality on their team that needs to resurect his dying career. Screw that whole organization and all their smug fans and anyone who has ever played for them. I hope their franchise goes another 100+ years without winning a world series. They don't deserve it.
okay, maybe, I don't know yet, but can you give me a reason to root for the Rays?

Edit: I'm serious and sincere; give me a reason to root for the Rays, because I'm looking for any angle to make this series at least a little interesting. If not, you come across as sound like one of those political, emotional, crazy people that believe MSM.
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
EastCoastAgNc
AG
1. They aren't the dodgers.
2. They were hospitable to the astros in 2017 during Harvey and allowed us to play games at the trop, unlike some other teams.
3. They have a crazy low payroll. They're a serious underdog. Plus, it would be hilarious to see a team beat the dodgers whose entire team payroll is less than mookie betts yearly salary.
4. They aren't the dodgers.

Yes, I am biased in my hate of the dodgers, but it's with good reason. I'm not thrilled with the option of the Rays winning, but it's the lesser of two evils.
aggiephoenix02
You make a good argument there, and I like rooting for the underdog. Alright, you got me thinking in the right direction now. So let's go Rays! Ugh... haha
Teddy Perkins
AG
Also, CFM.
bluefire579
AG
07ag said:

MaxPower said:

Bulldog73 said:

It worked for Chuck Knobloch.
Carew moved to 1B around the same age and obviously we have the Biggio example. Keep in mind Altuve has already been grading out as below average at 2B for the last several years. If you look at fangraphs scouting ratings he grades well on movement (first step, speed, and instincts) but poorly in arm strength and mediocre in hands / release. That leads me to believe he could be an adequate LF where a big arm isn't as important, especially if you are still getting good range.

How about put altuve at 1B and let Yuli walk if he continues to look old this year
At his height???
jkag89
They ain't the effin' Dodgers!

And the Rays are really fun team to watch.
tjack16
AG

Geez why can't this story just go to bed already
k20dub
AG
Luhnow waiting to do his first interview right before the World Series and bringing the whole MLB down with him. Luhnow still playing chess, not checkers.
3B Paul 97
AG
Hope he goes scorched earth.
BMX Bandit
k20dub said:

Luhnow waiting to do his first interview right before the World Series and bringing the whole MLB down with him. Luhnow still playing chess, not checkers.
This local news will surely be seen by thousands!!!
tjack16
AG
k20dub said:

I'm hoping he doesn't drag the Astros anymore. Hopefully he starts naming other teams and has evidence. But at this point I'm ready to just not discuss it anymore and move forward
Mathguy64
AG
Lunhow wants a job. No way he tosses any other team under the bus and no way he is anything but full on apologetic.
BMX Bandit
Mathguy64 said:

Lunhow wants a job. No way he tosses any other team under the bus and no way he is anything but full on apologetic.
From the preview, he's not going to do anything close to apologizing.
agproducer
AG
BMX Bandit said:

k20dub said:

This local news will surely be seen by thousands!!!

Pieces of the interview will be picked up by national outlets. After the interview, I'm sure other outlets will go to Luhnow. The folks at 2 will likely also ask him about how prevalent sign stealing is in MLB, and cover the part of the story that hasn't been covered because many of them are Astros fans and want the full story out. I'm interested to see what Luhnow has to say.
E
AG
You actually think this story is gonna go to bed any time soon? This scandal is gonna be a talking point for very long time.
astros4545
AG
Dodgers -190
Rays +165

Thats the line for the series
tjack16
AG
E said:

You actually think this story is gonna go to bed any time soon? This scandal is gonna be a talking point for very long time.

I think the flames would have died down a lot if we had won the title this season, and stayed in the WS picture over the next few years

Like the Patriots. They kept winning afterwards so people stopped talking about spygate. Not the same obviously ... but winning helped them because people couldn't say "you're only super Bowl was won because of spy gate". Instead they have 5 more the past 20 years to point to
Ag_07
AG
The Rays are full of good guys like CFM, Arozarena, Cash, Brosseau, Glasnow. Pretty much everyone but Diaz seems like good people.

The Dodgers on the other hand are full trash like Kelly, Bellinger, Peterson, etc. They're awful.

I'll be rooting for TB hardcore.
Ag_07
AG
And yeah...WTF am I supposed to watch on TV now there's no Stros on every night?
Beau Bevers
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Rays are full of good guys like CFM, Arozarena, Cash, Brosseau, Glasnow. Pretty much everyone but Diaz seems like good people.

The Dodgers on the other hand are full trash like Kelly, Bellinger, Peterson, etc. They're awful.

I'll be rooting for TB hardcore.

POTD
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

And yeah...WTF am I supposed to watch on TV now there's no Stros on every night?

I'm now 100% college football mode

I typically am 100% college football and MLB this time of year but I cant bring myself to watch the world series
Tex100
AG
Read an article in Sports Illustrated. Said loss of revenue in 2020 could make this hard to gauge what kind of money will be paid. Said mid level over 30 players could find a chilly off season. Correa is one of 5 top level SS who will be FA next year. Said reams usually try to extend or trade them.
07ag
AG
Tex100 said:

Read an article in Sports Illustrated. Said loss of revenue in 2020 could make this hard to gauge what kind of money will be paid. Said mid level over 30 players could find a chilly off season. Correa is one of 5 top level SS who will be FA next year. Said reams usually try to extend or trade them.
so, we could sign ozuna and brantley for cheap(ish) and let george walk for big bucks?
https://ts.la/eric59704
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
If Crane trades Correa I guarantee half of this fan base isn't going to be back for the 2021 season. It is one thing to lose him in free agency because you coulnt outbid a big spender but at this point no fan will let him live down trading Carlos. Especially if during this off season we lost out on the Springer sweepstakes
AggieLit
tjack16 said:

Geez why can't this story just go to bed already

From the preview it looks like he's going to go Johnny Montana on the other teams so I will be watching at 6:30 with a bag of popcorn.
ChAg1799
AG
Okay a questions for all you payroll nerds...

How does MLB treat a Justin Verlander's salary at $33 M when he isn't playing? I know that the Astros have insurance, but it can't count against the cap right? I have to believe that we should be able to keep a Springer/Bradley especially when 75% of our pitching staff is 2 years or less of MLB service. Click needs to figure this crap out.

We also have some arbitration guys, like Correa and McCullers who will get a bump. (I would expect) Osuna is also going arbitration eligible, but didn't play and probably will miss most of 2021...

SO, what is our REAL salary?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/yearly/payroll/
Marvin
AG
ChAg1799 said:

Okay a questions for all you payroll nerds...

How does MLB treat a Justin Verlander's salary at $33 M when he isn't playing? I know that the Astros have insurance, but it can't count against the cap right? I have to believe that we should be able to keep a Springer/Bradley especially when 75% of our pitching staff is 2 years or less of MLB service. Click needs to figure this crap out.

We also have some arbitration guys, like Correa and McCullers who will get a bump. (I would expect) Osuna is also going arbitration eligible, but didn't play and probably will miss most of 2021...

SO, what is our REAL salary?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/yearly/payroll/

I posted this last week after hearing it on the MLB Radio channel...

• Verlander's salary 100% counts against the luxury tax, regardless of his status.
  • Insurance typically kicks in 180 days after a disclosed injury, and will amount to 75-80 cents on the dollar.

Marvin
AG
Let's hope Tampa doesn't **** out that golden horseshoe stuck up their ass before the WS is over.
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.