*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,580 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
BCSGrubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

so Osuna's salary is off the book now -- right?

Yep...$10M
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

so Osuna's salary is off the book now -- right?
He would have cost around 10 M next year. Devo just over 2 and Garneau just under 1. About 13 M reduced for 2021.
redline248
AG
Put it in the Springer fund!
Farmer1906
AG
If 2020 was a full salary year, it means there is ~67 M coming off the books. We've dropped from 4th to 7th. I would expect Crane wants to hang around 7-12 and jump up when the opportunity presented itself (Greinke in 2019).
W
AG
good news.

and just in time for Brantley's Q.O. on Sunday
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

good news.

and just in time for Brantley's Q.O. on Sunday

Yes, please.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Mr.Bond said:

You have a right to your opinion. My opinion is our successes were not due to his actions. And we often gloss over many of his decisions that bit Us in the ass

And I'm not comparing the AJ to the Oilers directly. I'm simply saying the memories are similar in the sense that every day that goes by what AJ did in my memory was better than the actual outcome much like the Oilers to me

Agreed

2019 Astros are one of the greatest MLB teams of all time, and if it weren't for AJ's mismanagement we'd have a second championship
Maybe.

I think we all agree we should have left Greinke in or brought it Cole. And most at the time thought it too. But we don't know if it would have worked.

Outside of that moment in game 7, was there some other big mismanagement?

Game 1 - Cole got roughed up and Himch let him work thru it. We scratched a few across after Sherzer left, but was short.

Game 2 - JV got touched up early and late then our bullpen got wrecked.

Game 6 - JV got touched up early and then the bullpen got wrecked.

Game 7 - We know.

We scored 11 total runs in the 4 losses included 2 in game 6 and 7. Short of a major lineup change or some pinch-hitting matchups, what should AJ have done differently?

We decided to pitch to the only two guys capable of any offensive outputs on the Gnats

This may not be km Hinch but it is an awful mistake from our pitching staff

Happened this year with McCullers in G7 too
Farmer1906
AG
Howie Kendrick ?
Ag_07
AG
And now Cora in talks with Red Sox
Frok
AG
Crane owes me Springer for firing Hinch and Luhnow
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

And now Cora in talks with Red Sox
How do they get away with that? Unlike Hinch, Cora was actively involved in it for two separate teams. Rehiring him is basically tea bagging Manfred.

Now that I think of it, I guess I'm ok with that.
Ag_07
AG
IIRC he was fired before he was suspended so it just shows the firing was CYA virtue signaling.

If they thought it was a fireable offense then logically it's an offense bad enough to not rehire the guy.
Mathguy64
AG
It's really just Boston saying "we didn't cheat"
maca1028
Or Boston saying "We don't give a ****"
Beat40
maca1028 said:

Agreed. I think it's a big FU to Manfred.
redline248
AG
Some of you may have already read this, but I feel like it's relevant.

https://theathletic.com/2161829/2020/10/27/a-j-hinch-alex-cora-jeff-luhnow-carlos-beltran-mlb-houston-astros-sign-stealing-scandal/

opening of the article
Quote:

Earlier this month, as Tigers general manager Al Avila fielded questions about his club's managerial vacancy, two names surfaced. Each one boasted the sort of resumes that might entice any executive. A.J. Hinch led his team to a title in 2017. Alex Cora won a championship in 2018. Both were also barred from stepping foot inside a major league ballpark in 2020. Their season-long suspensions in the wake of the Astros sign-stealing scandal ran through the conclusion of the World Series. At that point, Avila said, Hinch and Cora were free to pursue any openings in baseball. "I have them on my list," Avila said.

The quote made headlines. One crawled across the bottom of a broadcast on MLB Network, where it caught the eye of many in the game. One major-leaguer professed shock at the expected reintroduction of those who held leadership positions during a lengthy cheating scheme.

"I remember reading that and being like, 'I can't believe that they would even interview them,'" the player said. "It just seemed early. It seemed really fast. And to me, it sends a tough signal, or maybe a bad signal, saying, they served their time, and now we're just going to hire them?"
All the quotes are anonymous
agdaddy04
AG
Man you'd think they'd fix the water leaks in the Detroit building before having Hinch interview on mlb network.
Big Al 1992
AG
3 years ago this evening - best live sporting event I've ever been to.
This is Altuve tying game 5.

Nino Brown
The Stros didn't lose this year due to who their manager was.
Frok
AG
maca1028 said:

Crane caved. I think the Astros will gradually decline under his ownership.
Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

maca1028 said:

Well...3 straight 100 win seasons, 4 division titles, 1 WS title, a couple pennants, 4 ALCS appearances.

Gonna be hard to keep that pace regardless of who the owner is.
Deluxe
AG
To be fair, our ascent from 2011 to four straight ALCS appearances was also under his ownership. I didn't agree with him caving to MLB either (at least given what we know today) but IMO he's been a good owner thus far all things considered.
texpdx
I know many want Springer but I can't see us spending the cash. I see Crane saving it for Carlos. If we do not sign Springer thoughts on Brantley and JBjr signings?
Deluxe
AG
texpdx said:

I know many want Springer but I can't see us spending the cash. I see Crane saving it for Carlos. If we do not sign Springer thoughts on Brantley and JBjr signings?
If we're uncertain about Springer staying, I'm totally fine with giving Brantley a QO and him taking it. Then our corner OF spots would be locked down with him and Tucker. JBJ would be a solid replacement in CF but in that scenario I'm guessing we'd opt for a cheaper alternative (ie Jake) to platoon CF with Straw. Whoever is playing CF will be batting ninth regardless.

And yea, that allows us to save our long term cash for Carlos.
Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

Frok said:

maca1028 said:

Well...3 straight 100 win seasons, 4 division titles, 1 WS title, a couple pennants, 4 ALCS appearances.

Gonna be hard to keep that pace regardless of who the owner is.

True. But he had Luhnow and lots of draft picks.

Now it will be much harder to win
Nino Brown
As much as I want to keep George by all means necessary, I'd be okay with taking care of CC, resigning Brantley and trying to resign Marwin. If that's even possible. Sure would like to get our hands on Glasnow right now too.
Deluxe
AG
Alot of teams have had lots of high draft picks since Crane took over. Astros are the only franchise to turn that into four straight ALCS appearances and a WS title.
Ag_07
AG
That's also true.

But I don't think you can say a decline from our current pace is a direct indictment on Crane. Kinda like the Yankees decline from their 2000s teams. It's not really a result of the owner just hard to keep that kinda pace.

Me personally I think is the best thing to happen to Houston sports in a very long time. He made a commitment to turn this team around, put the right people on place and let them work, spent his money wisely, and got us to where we are now. I know others disagree but that's just my personal take.
Frok
AG
No doubt.

I just wish we still had Luhnow. Everyone hated him in MLB because he was good.
Ag_07
AG
I hear ya

But honestly I think Click is gonna be pretty good. I think Crane made a great hire.

Doubt he's as good as Luhnow but I think he's very capable of taking over and building on the foundation that Luhnow created.
texpdx
It seems Crane enabled Ludnow to spend more money than the Rays ownership. The Rays are nearly a budget team. Partly due to reduced review compared to Houston. I think the key questions is can the stros build a great team with a blend of high dollar contracts and value players.
TarponChaser
Rays decline option on Morton- maybe see if we can get him on a 1-year deal.
tremble
AG
TarponChaser said:

Rays decline option on Morton- maybe see if we can get him on a 1-year deal.
Man that would be amazing.
Beat40
Pirates decline option on Chris Archer. Maybe a possible pick up for Stromie to do some work?
BCSGrubber
AG
Beat40 said:

Pirates decline option on Chris Archer. Maybe a possible pick up for Stromie to do some work?

Archer didn't have the kindest comments about the Astros in Feb
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.