*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,311 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Springer is not signing here. He has already sold his house and moved on.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
MAROON
AG
100% correct
Mr.Bond
AG
MAROON said:

Springer is not signing here. He has already sold his house and moved on.

I'm guessing you were his real estate agent?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
tjack16
AG
Dan Shedd said:

My biggest regret is I only grabbed 1 copy of that newspaper, and didn't get any of the other ones. I still have the cover but they had a few different publications on sale that I didnt get because I was in a hurry
W
AG
should find out today if Brantley gets a Q.O.

Astros have been very quiet about it -- no leaks
Deluxe
AG
W said:

should find out today if Brantley gets a Q.O.

Astros have been very quiet about it -- no leaks

Give it to him
dshedd41
S
http://houston-chronicle.myshopify.com/collections/astros/products/champs-press-plate-and-high-gloss-poster-from-november-2nd-issue-11x22
Gig’em Aggies!
MAROON
AG
nope. Just sharing information I've learned from people who are much higher up the food chain.
AustinCountyAg
MAROON said:

nope. Just sharing information I've learned from people who are much higher up the food chain.

Or maybe he knows he's got a pay day coming and wants to buy a new house in Houston?
E
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

MAROON said:

Or maybe he knows he's got a pay day coming and wants to buy a new house in Houston?
That's awfully hopeful...
BCSGrubber
AG

No QO for Brantley
BCSGrubber
AG
07ag
AG
MAROON said:

has he? never saw it listed on har. however, brantley's house across the street still is
https://ts.la/eric59704
W
AG
ouch, apparently the 'stros did not make a Q.O. to Brantley
tjack16
AG
W said:

ouch, apparently the 'stros did not make a Q.O. to Brantley

If the QO was closer to 10MM rather than 20 I bet we would have

I think him transitioning to more of a DH role is what kept us from offering and I will keep his market value down
W
AG
maybe Click is working on a 2-year $35 MM offer to Brantley
E
AG
07ag said:

MAROON said:

has he? never saw it listed on har. however, brantley's house across the street still is

MB's looks listed since August... say it ain't so uncle Mike!
W
AG
or maybe he's not
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 8 Results

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series, 87.1%-12.9%

#3 Lance Berkman, grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings) 22.6%-77.4%

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series 87.1%-12.9%

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 38.7%-61.3%

Final Four Matchups

VOTE NOW

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2005 NLDS (18 innings)

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986

BMX Bandit
The espn free agent ranking article is predicting Springer at 4 years, $108 million and Brantley at 1 year, $10 million.

Seems very low for Brantley
Harry Dunne
BMX Bandit said:

The espn free agent ranking article is predicting Springer at 4 years, $108 million and Brantley at 1 year, $10 million.

Seems super low for a hitter of his caliber, especially since (at least as far as the analytics are concerned) he still plays pretty good defense.

Obviously he's two years older than his last contract but he has two more years of being healthy and I think he has come to know his body and its limits and does what it takes to stay healthy while still producing.

With this thin OF FA market I am disappointed we didn't make the Q.O.
BCSGrubber
AG
Money is going to be way down this offseason.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What's tough about Brantley is that he is pretty much just a DH now. You can put him out in left and hope for the best, and if you've got greatness at CF/SS/3B as the Astros have for his 2 years here, then you can hedge your bets that he's not going to lose you too many games out there.

If you were already a bad outfielder when you got here two years ago and you're doing to turn 34 in early May, that's going the wrong way on defense to a point that I'm not so crazy about. You've already got one guy in your future lineup (Alvarez) that you absolutely don't want ever playing in the field unless there's no other option, you don't need two of those guys.

Also you have to at least entertain the idea what when you're hitting between Spring and Altuve or Altuve and Bregman or Altuve and Correa, you're getting some pretty tasty pitches. Not saying that Brantley is not an awesome hitter, because I thought he was amazing these past 2 years. But if the Astros are trying to lock up Springer / Correa long term - they have to be thinking they can find a guy who can hit .280 with 15 HR to put in Brantley's spot for $5 million instead paying him huge money to hit .300 with 20 HR but he can't play the field and at the end of the deal he'll be 37-38.

Marvin
AG
Not sure we are in the market for a starting pitcher, but I read the ESPN list and these potential 1-year contracts caught my attention. A #3 or 4 would allow Javier to slide back to the pen in a Peacock high leverage or long relief role. Any thoughts?

Quote:

Jake Odorizzi, SP, Twins
2021 Opening Day age: 31
Projected contract: 1 year, $11 million
Odorizzi had a chest injury and blister that limited him to just four starts in 2020, playing on the $17.8 million qualifying offer. James Paxton and Garrett Richards are in the same boat, maybe in the two-year contract range with more upside and variance, while Odorizzi is a better bet to provide 150 quality innings. I've got them grouped near each other because whether a team is looking for variance or safety will dictate which pitcher it prefers.
Quote:

Taijuan Walker, SP, Mariners
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 years, $8.5 million
Walker has elite pedigree and is still just 28 years old, but unlike Gausman, he just still hasn't quite put it all together to reach his ceiling. Tommy John surgery almost cost him all of 2018 and 2019, but he was back to being a durable back-end starter for Toronto and Seattle this year. If a club really believes he can turn the corner, it'll try to attach a club option to a one-year deal.
Quote:

Mike Minor, SP, Rangers
2021 Opening Day age: 33
Projected contract: 1 year, $8 million
For the past two seasons and change, Minor has been a durable innings-eating, league-average starter. Given his age and the market, that's worth a one-year deal, although it might have landed him two years in more typical times.
Quote:

Robbie Ray, SP, Blue Jays
2021 Opening Day age: 29
Projected contract: 1 year, $5.5 million
A knockout starter with power stuff and strikeouts from the left side regressed in his walk year with a spike in walks. Ray is a higher-variance reclamation project for a club confident in its pitching development, likely with deal that includes incentives and/or a club option.
Quote:

Michael Wacha, SP/RP, Mets
2021 Opening Day age: 29
Projected contract: 1 year, $3.5 million
Wacha is still in his 20s and has the raw parts of what it takes to be a starter, but the results have been bad for two seasons. Most teams think they're savvy with pitching and can fix the broken ones, so Wacha will have plenty of interest.

Regarding outfielders, the pickings are slim, but there might be a league average player to get on the cheap.

Quote:

Jackie Bradley Jr., CF, Red Sox
2021 Opening Day age: 30
Projected contract: 1 year, $11 million
Bradley made $11 million in his last year of arbitration because he couldn't continue his 2015-16 offensive performances, but was still above-average defensively in center field. He got back to that level of offensive performance in 217 PA this year, but the underlying numbers suggest that's a mirage and he's still the same guy he was in 2017-19. He's a solid 2-win player who should get one or two years at $8-12 million AAV.
Quote:

Jurickson Profar, UTIL, Padres
2021 Opening Day age: 28
Projected contract: 1 year, $8.5 million
Profar hasn't quite reached the upside promised in his top prospect days and he has moved down the positional spectrum to be a primary left fielder (where he's pretty good) and fill-in infielder (where he's not). He's still young and just had one-third of a career year in the shortened 2020 season, with above-average offense and matching underlying metrics, but he hasn't been consistent enough to land a two-year deal in a down market.
Quote:

Joc Pederson, OF, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age: 28
Projected contract: 1 year, $5.5 million
Pederson is average to a bit below average defensively in a corner and about average offensively, even though the numbers show he was unlucky at the plate this year. He swings real hard and can be frustrating to watch. He'll be a starter for a bad team or a platoon/rotation player for a good team.
Quote:

Enrique Hernandez, UTIL, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $4.5 million
Hernandez had a down year at the plate as part of a two-year decline, but he's about average at second base and all three outfield spots, along with being playable all over the infield. He's a good utility player, but has very little chance of being more than that.
Quote:

Marwin Gonzalez, UTIL, Twins
2021 Opening Day age: 32
Projected contract: 1 year, $4 million
Regression hit Gonzalez hard in 2020 at the plate, but he was very unlucky and is still a useful piece. He's a solid average infield defender at multiple spots and can get over a 1.0 WAR in fewer than 500 PA as a versatile switch-hitter.
Quote:

Adam Eaton, OF, Nationals
Eaton was the big piece in a trade that landed the White Sox a Cy Young contender in Lucas Giolito. The Nats just declined a $10.5 million option for Eaton, who had an ACL tear in 2017 and eventually returned to his normal self, but his skill set now is more just putting the ball in play with decent tools, but with little punch or patience.
Quote:

Ryan Braun, 1B-OF, Brewers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $3.5 million
Braun is adequate in the outfield and is still a league-average (or a bit better) bat despite clearly being in decline for years.

mazag08
AG
I'd be perfectly happy with Springer, Tucker, and a platoon of Straw and Kik e Hernandez.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Marvin said:

Quote:

Marwin Gonzalez, UTIL, Twins
Regression hit Gonzalez hard in 2020 at the plate, but he was very unlucky and is still a useful piece. He's a solid average infield defender at multiple spots and can get over a 1.0 WAR in fewer than 500 PA as a versatile switch-hitter.

Pass. Heard he's a cheater.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

BMX Bandit said:

Seems super low for a hitter of his caliber, especially since (at least as far as the analytics are concerned) he still plays pretty good defense.

Obviously he's two years older than his last contract but he has two more years of being healthy and I think he has come to know his body and its limits and does what it takes to stay healthy while still producing.

I would say this is the EXACT reason why he did not get a QO...Analysts are saying his contract will be HALF of what the QO was....so why would you offer 19mil? Heck even if you ended up paying 14 or 16...youd be an idiot to pay way over that in a season youre trying to stretch every dollar
Deluxe
AG
Kinda stating the obvious here but the reason we didn't QO Brantley is because we thought he would take it. If we thought he would turn it down, of course we'd offer so that we get draft pick comp if he ends up signing elsewhere.

From there, I guess there's two reasons why we didn't want to offer Brantley the QO and risk him taking it:

1) We're bookmarking that money to make a run at Springer
2) We think we can sign Brantley for less than the QO

Either scenario would be fine w me.
Harry Dunne
I agree with most of your post, but last year he tied for 1st for the Fielding Bible award as the best LF in all of baseball. I don't think he's as good as that implies and I also don't think he's as bad as you're saying he is...but at the very least he's a capable corner OF.

I know OF can fall off a cliff pretty quick in their 30s defensively (Reddick) and I don't think his fielding is a plus anymore, but I don't think it's a strike against him yet.
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

BMX Bandit said:

I would say this is the EXACT reason why he did not get a QO...Analysts are saying his contract will be HALF of what the QO was....so why would you offer 19mil? Heck even if you ended up paying 14 or 16...youd be an idiot to pay way over that in a season youre trying to stretch every dollar
Maybe that's right - we'll see, but don't pretend like you've got a crystal ball. A lot of self-styled experts said we'd be idiots to sign CFM to a QO or match TB's contract and I think we would have two more rings if we had.

So maybe tap the brakes on the idiot talk and just say you disagree. You might be right. I think he's worth the money. I'll be thrilled to get him for less and I'll be disappointed if he goes elsewhere for a reasonable price.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
BMX Bandit said:

4 at 108 for Springer all day, every day! Make it happen.
W
AG
that was funny when Colby Rasmus took the Q.O. in 2016.

made every team in the league afraid
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

Mike Minor, SP, Rangers
2021 Opening Day age: 33
Projected contract: 1 year, $8 million
For the past two seasons and change, Minor has been a durable innings-eating, league-average starter. Given his age and the market, that's worth a one-year deal, although it might have landed him two years in more typical times.
Dear ESPN. He's not on the Rangers. Keeping up with that is part of your job. Focus on that instead of writing idiotic articles on cheating why don't you.

Dumbasses.
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.