*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,308 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
scrimp said:

Love me some CFM, but I think the short season benefited him. Even with the short season, he spent 24 days on the IL. A full season may have put more wear and tear on that shoulder. 2019 was the only season in the last 5 that he didn't have a stint on the IL.

I'd love to see him back on the Astros, but I'm guessing age/injuries/salary expectations make that a difficult fit.
I agree with you, but I think you get him and just do whatever you have to do to get him to the playoffs healthy.

Not that many guys are stone cold postseason killers like CFM. I truly believe we would have two more rings if we had signed him to the same deal Tampa did.
Farmer1906
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
That error in 2015 still pisses me off
Ag_07
AG
I've always enjoyed that guy's takes.
Mr.Bond
AG
AJ hinch to me is a lot like the Houston Oilers. Every day that passes the memories are sweeter and greater than they actually were. In hindsight AJ was a nice guy sure but he made a lot of boneheaded decisions that cost us games. Just about any body with a heartbeat on planet Earth could have guided the 2019 team to a hundred plus wins

I think he's a good manager..... I don't think he's the reason for our successes
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

redline248
AG
Do the tigers have the need or the cash to go after Springer?
Mr.Bond
AG
redline248 said:

I don't see any reason for springer to go to Detroit over Houston or Boston
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BMX Bandit
agdaddy04 said:

Man hate the AJ was hired by the Tigers but knew that'd happen. So frustrating.
how is this possible??? The most egregious cheating scandal ever per the talking heads, and the guy that allowed it gets a job within 48 hours of being eligible??

Its almost like teams really don't care about it!
redline248
AG
Mr.Bond said:

redline248 said:

Other than playing for AJ?
Mr.Bond
AG
Unless there's something I'm unaware of I don't believe their relationship was that incredible where he would either skip going home or skip staying here in Houston solely for AJ

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mr.Bond said:

AJ hinch to me is a lot like the Houston Oilers. Every day that passes the memories are sweeter and greater than they actually were. In hindsight AJ was a nice guy sure but he made a lot of boneheaded decisions that cost us games. Just about any body with a heartbeat on planet Earth could have guided the 2019 team to a hundred plus wins

I think he's a good manager..... I don't think he's the reason for our successes
No offense, but this is one of the dumbest takes I've ever read. Comparing the guy who got the Astros to two World Series in three years to the OILERS?

AJ knew how to manage professional baseball players. That's the hardest gig there is. They're all multi-millionaires with HUGE egos and he figured out how to turn them into a team that loved each other and wanted to see each other excel.

I was an Oiler fan from age 3 in 1977 until they left for ****sville in 1996, and once they didn't make it past the Steelers in the late 1970s, every incarnation of the Oilers was a giant ball of talent with no camraderie and a bunch of "me me me" whining *****es who pointed fingers and are responsible for some of the most stupid and embarassing ways to lose playoff games in league history. If any talented team has ever made two dumber hires than Jerry Glanville and Jack Pardee back to back I would love to hear bout it.
mazag08
AG
I am forever grateful to AJ for the world series. But other than that one year, freaking Dusty Baker just got as far in 1 year, with vastly inferior pitching and constant injuries, than AJ got in all but one of his years. Granted, AJ was a big part in helping develop the players and the team chemistry that Dusty inherited.. but it's not like AJ did anything crazy here. He took top level talent and won a single world series with it. He should have never lost last year. That one will always sting.

**I'm not saying Dusty is better than AJ or I'd rather have Dusty. My point is that the team was built by Luhnow and the talent was top level that any manager probably could have won a world series in the last 3 years with this group.
Mr.Bond
AG
You have a right to your opinion. My opinion is our successes were not due to his actions. And we often gloss over many of his decisions that bit Us in the ass

And I'm not comparing the AJ to the Oilers directly. I'm simply saying the memories are similar in the sense that every day that goes by what AJ did in my memory was better than the actual outcome much like the Oilers to me

BMX Bandit
redline248 said:

Mr.Bond said:

redline248 said:

Other than playing for AJ?
Unless Detroit is paying the most, he doesn't love AJ that much!
W
AG
I've never been a Tony LaRussa fan...but after seeing ESPN's SJW hit piece on him this morning...

I wish him all the best on the south side.

have to imagine ESPN is typing up their hit piece on A.J. this very moment
agdaddy04
AG
The Astros don't get to where they are from where they were without AJ. He instilled confidence in a bunch of young guys and convinced them they could compete. One of the best managers I've ever seen. If you've never heard him speak about his thought processes and game setup, you're missing out.
agdaddy04
AG
mazag08 said:

I am forever grateful to AJ for the world series. But other than that one year, freaking Dusty Baker just got as far in 1 year, with vastly inferior pitching and constant injuries, than AJ got in all but one of his years. Granted, AJ was a big part in helping develop the players and the team chemistry that Dusty inherited.. but it's not like AJ did anything crazy here. He took top level talent and won a single world series with it. He should have never lost last year. That one will always sting.

**I'm not saying Dusty is better than AJ or I'd rather have Dusty. My point is that the team was built by Luhnow and the talent was top level that any manager probably could have won a world series in the last 3 years with this group.

Wholeheartedly disagree with this.
You can't forget what AJ did in 2015 either. He's the one that got this team to expecting to make the postseason.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In any other year but this one, the 2020 Astros don't make the playoffs. You can't compare 29-31 and 8 teams in they playoffs to

101-61
103-59
107-55
Farmer1906
AG
IMO AJ Hinch is a fantastic manager. I didn't always agree with his moves (you never will), but he was rational with them. He seemed to push most of the right buttons when it came to giving guys rest, managing a bullpen, not overworking pitchers, and your daily managerial stuff. Outside of that, I think he knew it was time to show confidence in guys (Springer before the WS) and when it was time to move on (Giles). He knew when to stick u for his guys with an ump, but wasn't a jackass hot head that did it weekly like some managers. Outside of the game, I knew people that knew him and had nothing but great things to say. He was a big part of the Astros program with childhood cancer.

If the option is Hinch or Dusty, 100 out of 100 times I am taking AJ.
Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

I fully agree with the bolded part.

Luhnow gets the credit. He was the mastermind of "Astroball". He made the deals. He built the team. He revamped the entire minors. He changes everything for us. Without Jeff, AJ isn't winning a title. Without AJ, maybe Jeff doesn't win a title. Not too sure, but I think AJ did a good job. Dusty taking over this year took a pretty big step back across the board. Lots of reasons, but I think Dusty factored into it too.
W
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Unless there's something I'm unaware of I don't believe their relationship was that incredible where he would either skip going home or skip staying here in Houston solely for AJ
and they may have come into conflict over the trash can. As George (and Marwin) were the two big users of the system. At least according to that one guy's video/audio data
Farmer1906
AG
Mets just got a super rich owner. I wonder if he'll look to make a splash with a signing like George. They could use an OFer with Cespedes & Marisnick as FAs.
jkag89
Quote:

If the option is Hinch or Dusty, 100 out of 100 times I am taking AJ.
Yep, and it is not that I dislike Dusty. He seems to get along very well with the players but I question his moves far more often than I ever did with AJ. I wish that Crane would have let AJ sit out his suspension with the idea of letting him be in the dugout for the 'Stros in '21.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Agreed.
AggiEE
Mr.Bond said:

You have a right to your opinion. My opinion is our successes were not due to his actions. And we often gloss over many of his decisions that bit Us in the ass

And I'm not comparing the AJ to the Oilers directly. I'm simply saying the memories are similar in the sense that every day that goes by what AJ did in my memory was better than the actual outcome much like the Oilers to me

Agreed

2019 Astros are one of the greatest MLB teams of all time, and if it weren't for AJ's mismanagement we'd have a second championship
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

mazag08 said:

I fully agree with the bolded part.

Luhnow gets the credit. He was the mastermind of "Astroball". He made the deals. He built the team. He revamped the entire minors. He changes everything for us. Without Jeff, AJ isn't winning a title. Without AJ, maybe Jeff doesn't win a title. Not too sure, but I think AJ did a good job. Dusty taking over this year took a pretty big step back across the board. Lots of reasons, but I think Dusty factored into it too.

I'm not a huge Dusty fan but there's a lot less to argue with how he handled the playoffs this year versus last year with AJ

In fact, quite surprised we made it as deep as we did
AggieLit
mazag08 said:

I am forever grateful to AJ for the world series. But other than that one year, freaking Dusty Baker just got as far in 1 year, with vastly inferior pitching and constant injuries, than AJ got in all but one of his years. Granted, AJ was a big part in helping develop the players and the team chemistry that Dusty inherited.. but it's not like AJ did anything crazy here. He took top level talent and won a single world series with it. He should have never lost last year. That one will always sting
Dusty probably would have left Greinke in in Game 7.
spadilly
S
AggiEE said:

2019 Astros are one of the greatest MLB teams of all time, and if it weren't for AJ's mismanagement we'd have a second championship

AggieLit
MuckRaker96 said:

In any other year but this one, the 2020 Astros don't make the playoffs. You can't compare 29-31 and 8 teams in they playoffs to

101-61
103-59
107-55
In any other year but this one, the Astros have 102 more games to improve their record. Also, it's clear we coasted in September knowing we could still get in. The last two games we virtually gave to them.
redline248
AG
W said:

Mr.Bond said:

and they may have come into conflict over the trash can. As George (and Marwin) were the two big users of the system. At least according to that one guy's video/audio data
I have no idea about their relationship due to cheating, I'm just saying it's a consideration...which is why I asked if Detroit had the cash.
jkag89
SI thinks the best fit for Springer is to remain in Houston. It seems they believe the 'Stros will make a competitive offer for George.

Ranking MLB's Top 50 Free Agents
by Will Laws and Nick Selbe - Sports Illustrated

Quote:

4. George Springer, OF

Age: 31 | 2020 Stats: .265/.359/.540, 140 OPS+, 14 HR, 37 R, 32 RBI, 1 SB, 1.9 WAR (5.1 WAR over 162 games)
Current Team: Astros | Best Fit: Astros

In a year when several Astros headliners struggled at the plate, it was another standout year for Springer. He posted an OPS+ of 140 or better in for the third time in the last four seasons, cutting down his strikeout rate to a career-best 17.1%. On average, he's homered once every 14.7 plate appearances over the past two years compared to once every 23 plate appearances before 2019. Springer remains strong enough defensively to stick in center, though he can shift to right when needed. Expect Houston to make a strong offer to keep Springer as part of the team's core going forward.
linkdude
AG
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Mr.Bond said:

Agreed

Maybe.

I think we all agree we should have left Greinke in or brought it Cole. And most at the time thought it too. But we don't know if it would have worked.

Outside of that moment in game 7, was there some other big mismanagement?

Game 1 - Cole got roughed up and Himch let him work thru it. We scratched a few across after Sherzer left, but was short.

Game 2 - JV got touched up early and late then our bullpen got wrecked.

Game 6 - JV got touched up early and then the bullpen got wrecked.

Game 7 - We know.

We scored 11 total runs in the 4 losses included 2 in game 6 and 7. Short of a major lineup change or some pinch-hitting matchups, what should AJ have done differently?
Farmer1906
AG
W
AG
so Osuna's salary is off the book now -- right?
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.