*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

409,017 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

It'll be interesting moving forward to see if some of these pitchers start voicing their displeasure getting yanked when the do.

When will it be difficult for analytically driven teams to sign top FA arms because guys don't want to have the ball taken away from them like Snell did?

Snell is definitely saying something for sure.

I don't think it will affect top FA arms too much as most top FA arms analytically don't take on too much damage the 3rd time through. That's what keeps the Rays and other teams from letting their starters go deep.
Beat40
agdaddy04
AG
Manfred getting booed out of there!!
PoppaB05
AG
Alot of what ifs for the Astros
What if they play the ALCS at LA where we rake as a team
What if we don't play all the day games where the shadows favor pitching
What if Yuli and Bregs are average instead of terrible
What if Altuve doesn't get the Yips
What if Arozarena isn't hitting like Barry Bonds post steroids or we just stop pitching to him

Just terrible luck.

I agree that I think we get in the Dodgers heads early and win that series
YNWA_AG
AG
cc10106
Wow. Cash out-Hinched AJ tonight. What an idiot.
AggieMD95
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

E said:

Do the players have to take any cuts?

Sucks for all the employees who make regular salaries to get furloughed or let go and watch the millionaire players just get larger contracts
They took cuts this year when the season was shortened.

Do players get raises when revenue goes up when they're in the middle of a contract?

I have a feeling we might see a blood bath during free agency. Players and Agents complained the last 2 years when only the top guys received major deals. George, JT, Ozuna, Bauer may all get much smaller deals than they would during a normal free agency.

There wouldn't have been a season if they hadn't taken cuts.

So if they hadn't taken cuts they would've gotten nada ?
W
AG
if those financial losses are accurate...then the free agents are in for a long winter.

I don't see how teams can sign players to big multi-year contracts until they know what % capacity will be allowed for the 2021 season.

fair to wonder if the owners really want a 162-game schedule in 2021.

it might be better to play 81 games with a geographically-centered schedule again...at 50% salary
Ag_07
AG
What? They tested him during the game or they got the results back during the game?

And that would've thrown a hug wrench into a GM 7.
linkdude
AG
umm...
TRM
AG
Sounds like the Dodgers need an asterisk by their title for using an ineligible player.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MLB"s 2020 Operations Manual: "In the event that a Club is informed of a confirmed positive test for COVID-19 while the Covered Individual is at a Club facility, the individual who tested positive must immediately isolate himself or herself in the Dedicated Isolation Area or, if possible, outside the Club facility, pending further guidance from his or her Team Physician."

Beat40
linkdude said:

umm...

What did the tweet say? It's gone.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm far from a Covid alarmist but this should earn Turner a huge suspension.

Frok
AG
Why? He was with the team all week leading up to this.
Mathguy64
AG
Is it wrong of me to hope the Dodgers had several players actually play who were positive and they knew it? Playing ineligible players would be the perfect climax to all this finger pointing.

And not only should Turner be fined, he should be suspended to start the next season and the Dodgers should e fined a massive ***** of cash. Seriously.
BMX Bandit
Ok Karen
TRM
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Is it wrong of me to hope the Dodgers had several players actually play who were positive and they knew it? Playing ineligible players would be the perfect climax to all this finger pointing.

And not only should Turner be fined, he should be suspended to start the next season and the Dodgers should e fined a massive ***** of cash. Seriously.
Don't forget to add removal of the Dodger's 1st round draft picks the next two years.
Panama Red
AG
Mathguy64 said:

They probably will fine the Dodgers because MLB is a part of the fake news hysteria over coronavirus.

Fining or suspensions over this are incredibly stupid, so I fully expect Manfred it to be all over it.
Hi, Im Brett
AG

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/playoffs/2020/10/28/justin-turner-covid-19-positive-what-we-know/3760145001/
Quote:

All that has been reported is Turner's test from Monday came back inconclusive during the second inning Tuesday. MLB instructed the lab it uses in Utah to expedite his Tuesday morning test (saliva), according to ESPN and the Wall Street Journal, which confirmed a positive.

By that point, Turner had taken his position at third base for the seventh inning.

convenient timing after their two run 6th to take the lead
Farmer1906
AG
Panama Red said:

Mathguy64 said:

They probably will fine the Dodgers because MLB is a part of the fake news hysteria over coronavirus.

Fining or suspensions over this are incredibly stupid, so I fully expect Manfred it to be all over it.
You can have your opinion on how serious or not to take the virus.

But I think once you make the rules, tell a player to follow the rules, and then he blatantly disregards them there should be some punishment. They've ejected GMs for not wearing a mask, canceled several games, had players quarantine, a team "demoted" players for not following the protocols, had several players opt out because of it, etc. It comes across extremely hypocritical to not do anything, but then again that would be on-brand for Manfred.
07ag
AG
rules don't apply to the bluebloods, ya'll know that
https://ts.la/eric59704
aggiesed8r
AG
Is it really a rules violation if the season was officially over?
Beat40
The bigger question is how was he exposed if they're in a bubble?

Did he and any other Dodgers leave the bubble, or was it brought in?
Ag_07
AG
He broke protocols...Vacate the ring!!!!

Jesus that would just be too incredibly awesome.
Panama Red
AG
Like I said, they will likely fine/suspend over this. Does that make it any less silly?

Will you feel some personal vindication or "thank heavens" relief when the Dodgers pay some di minimus fine that they will make in tshirt sales in 1 week?
MaxPower
aggiesed8r said:

Is it really a rules violation if the season was officially over?
I suspect yes. Likely a suspension and fines in 2021.
TREX01
W said:

if those financial losses are accurate...then the free agents are in for a long winter.

I don't see how teams can sign players to big multi-year contracts until they know what % capacity will be allowed for the 2021 season.

fair to wonder if the owners really want a 162-game schedule in 2021.

it might be better to play 81 games with a geographically-centered schedule again...at 50% salary
Which financial losses are you considering?
halibut sinclair
#LosAsterisksDodgers
Kashchei
AG
halibut sinclair said:

#LosAsterisksDodgers

Dodgers should vacate the title for cheating. It's only fair.
Deluxe
AG
Yep. The Dodgers join the 18 Red Sox, 17 Astros, 16 Cubs, 13 Red Sox, 09 Yankees, 07 Red Sox, 04 Red Sox, 00 Yankees, 99 Yankees, 98 Yankees, 96 Yankees, 89 A's, 76 Reds, 75 Reds and many more teams that have won asterisked World Series titles.
AggieLit
Kind of fun to see video of the Angelenos chanting "F*** the Astros" in their downtown celebration last night. Love being hated by those prima donnas.

When I think about the past few years, it hurts that we have not one more than one title. I really thought that this would be Houston's sports dynasty. The loss in 2019 and the public tarnishing of 2017 definitely sting. But what was more important to me all along was not that the Astros would win titles, but that we would become a city with a passionate fanbase, where stories are told from one generation to the next, where "what ifs" are discussed again and again.

I'd rather be the Red Sox or Cubs going lifetimes without a victory than a team that won several times and no one cared for very long. The Florida Marlins won a couple of titles, as did the Blue Jays, but it didn't make those cities into baseball towns. I'm not really sure what does, but I have to think that oh-so-close losses, controversies, being hated by the biggest teams in the league, all add to that bank account. So do great personalities who dazzle in the playoffs again and again. We continued on that path this year and our city and fanbase are as passionate as ever. It's a great time to be an Astros fan.
Mathguy64
AG
We have played in 4 straight ALCS and won 2, both times as the better team. Both loses were to teams maybe not better but they were playing better. At that level it matters.

We played in 2 WS and won 1. We won as the better team and lost to the hotter one. At that level it matters.

I thing we did about as expected at that level. The accomplishment is getting to the ALCS 4 times.
JJxvi
AG
Do you consider the 1990's Atlanta Braves a dynasty?
Farmer1906
AG
Panama Red said:

Like I said, they will likely fine/suspend over this. Does that make it any less silly?

Will you feel some personal vindication or "thank heavens" relief when the Dodgers pay some di minimus fine that they will make in tshirt sales in 1 week?

Silly? No, I think it would be a fair and correct action along with a suspension of Turner.

I'll feel like they got what they deserved and probably never think about it again. And if it doesn't happen it's just another check on MLB being hypocrites.
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.