*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,192 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
AggieLit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JJxvi said:

Do you consider the 1990's Atlanta Braves a dynasty?
Kind of, but it also seems like they didn't have that "something" that the Yankees had. A lot of the "something" was money, but not all of it. I really didn't want to be another 90's Braves.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AggieLit said:

Kind of fun to see video of the Angelenos chanting "F*** the Astros" in their downtown celebration last night. Love being hated by those prima donnas.

When I think about the past few years, it hurts that we have not one more than one title. I really thought that this would be Houston's sports dynasty. The loss in 2019 and the public tarnishing of 2017 definitely sting. But what was more important to me all along was not that the Astros would win titles, but that we would become a city with a passionate fanbase, where stories are told from one generation to the next, where "what ifs" are discussed again and again.

I'd rather be the Red Sox or Cubs going lifetimes without a victory than a team that won several times and no one cared for very long. The Florida Marlins won a couple of titles, as did the Blue Jays, but it didn't make those cities into baseball towns. I'm not really sure what does, but I have to think that oh-so-close losses, controversies, being hated by the biggest teams in the league, all add to that bank account. So do great personalities who dazzle in the playoffs again and again. We continued on that path this year and our city and fanbase are as passionate as ever. It's a great time to be an Astros fan.

If you like going a lifetime without a title, you must be a huge Aggie football fan.
redline248
AG
Is making the ALCS like winning the SWC a whole bunch of times and the Big12 before it sucked?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Is making the ALCS like winning the SWC a whole bunch of times and the Big12 before it sucked?

No, it's like making the college football playoff 4 years in a row.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

No, it's like making the college football playoff 4 years in a row.
Oh so we're talking about being an Aggie fan since 2014
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Anyone who finds the Tucker nomination "interesting" (like 3 or 4 of y'all now) has not been paying attention. I've been trying to tell y'all since last year.
It IS interesting though.

If you look up his sprint times, he's below average for a LF...slower than George. I can't remember the term for how good of a break guys get on balls in the outfield, but they have stat on baseball savant and he's just slightly above average. He has a good arm and only made one error, but definitely not the stuff gold gloves are made of until...

his defensive outs above average are off the charts, which is obviously what they were looking at.

I don't want to discredit him, but the only explanation I could think of was excellent defensive positioning and a lack of league adjustment for the small left field at MMP.
I think you may have read the data wrong.

The league avg is 27.0. I exported the qualified LFers and took the avg. It comes to 27.4. Tucker checks in at 27.6. While not elite, have still above avg.

They don't show a leaderboard for "Jump", but he's well above average in reaction (the feet he covers in the first 1.5 seconds) & burst (feet covered in 1.6-3.0 seconds). He does have room to improve on his route (feet covered in the direction toward to ball in 0-3.0 seconds).

Defensive positioning doesn't help you with catch probability from a fielder's perspective. It's more so measured by the distanced covered vs the hang time. For example, if Correa is shifted up the middle and they hit a routine ball to where the SS traditionally plays. Correa lays out and throws out the runner, he gets full credit for a brilliant 3-4 * play when it could have been an easy 0-1 * play if he wasn't shifted.

Sorry for the slow response...

Like you said, average speed among full-time LF, here you see that his OF jump is just above average, and that's considering RF, which is by far the slowest OF position. On the other hand Tucker is faster than the other two GG finalists, and Gordon is actually the slowest LF in baseball. Makes me think this award is still a little bit of a hitting/reputation award.

Then again, the Fielding Bible award is 100% analytics driven and Uncle Mike is tied for 1st last year with David Peralta, meaning that the advanced stats said he was the best left fielder in baseball while many on here are very critical of his lack of urgency. Brantley used to be elite and still has good hands and a good arm but never lays out for balls and he looks like his #1 goal is to not get hurt is what the eyeballs say.

I'm no more clear on anything than before I looked at these numbers. We are bad at judging defense and Tucker is an underratedly good defensive player, are the main takeaways IMO.
YNWA_AG
AG
aggiephoenix02
JJxvi said:

Hell yes, team of the 90's, the greatest starting pitcher rotation, THE all time dominate division streak of ANY pro sports league anywhere in the world, with a title to boot! The 90's Yankees didn't even make the postseason for half the decade.

Maybe that special something was the pitching, being able to win a game 1-0. Maybe some people don't appreciate pitching.
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I keep putting my mouse on the screen trying to move the slidey thing around.
tjack16
AG
JJxvi said:

I do not think of them as a "dynasty", but very close

5 pennants and 1 title in a 10 year stretch is really good. But it's hard for me to consider them a dynasty when they only won once.

Baseball dynasties to me are the 1996-2003 Yankees (4 titles, 6 pennants)

The Astros and Dodgers could also be in that tier if they win another pennant and title over the next 2-3 years
bluefire579
AG
I'd says the 90s Braves are a dynasty...obviously there's only the one WS, but the number of teams they were there is hard to ignore.. I'd throw the early 2010s Giants in there as well, and I think a good argument can be made for the Red Sox from the early 2000s to early 2010s.

I will say I don't think the Astros or Dodgers are quite there yet, but they both have the ability to be. Based on current rosters and free agents, I'd say the Dodgers have a better chance as it currently stands, but we'll see what Click is able to do this offseason.
Farmer1906
AG
Braves
15 seasons
14 playoff appearances (only missed 94 strike season)
9 champions series
4 World Series
1 title

That is one hell of a run.

Right now we're on
6 seasons
5 playoffs
4 CS
1 WS
Harry Dunne
MuckRaker96 said:

Harry Dunne said:

I keep putting my mouse on the screen trying to move the slidey thing around.
That's what I imagine Strom does with our pitchers. "Welcome to the Astros Gerritt - you've had a nice little career but let me adjust those sliders little bit."
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Braves
15 seasons
14 playoff appearances (only missed 94 strike season)
9 champions series
4 World Series
1 title

That is one hell of a run.

Right now we're on
6 seasons
5 playoffs
4 CS
1 WS

I was going off the premise of 90s Braves which was only a 10 season stretch.
I think if we add another 2-3 LCS, and another pennant then we are there.

What I'm hoping we have is this ...
10 season stretch (2015-2024)
8-9 playoffs
6 LCS
3-4 Pennants
2 WS titles

That would put us in the dynasty conversation at least
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Pahdz
Outstanding
AggiEE
https://risingapple.com/2020/10/28/mets-rumors-george-springer-leaving-astros/

"The speculation about Springer is that he is unhappy the Houston Astros failed to extend him in the preseason. This is an important piece for the Mets to note for two reasons."

I really hope George is smart enough to look past the fact that the Astros didn't extend him. We had a lot of **** go down at the end of last season, and as the season started Covid hit.

Is he just butthurt that an extension could have made him more money than he's likely to get this offseason due to all the uncertainty?
YNWA_AG
AG
George was always upset about super 2
tjack16
AG
We should have extended George after the WS last year. Zero reason not to at that point after the season he had. Especially given we had 2 months of terrible offseason between when the scandal broke and when Covid hit.

A springer extension in February would have done wonders for the fan base at that time
Harry Dunne
George has every right to be pissed about the way the organization has treated his contract status over the years. Someone mentioned last week that he's not really suited to play the villain role that we are currently in and I agree with that as well.

I love George, but I love the team more and will be disappointed if we sign him at anywhere near market value. It's going to suck watching him mash for someone else in 2021, but it's going to already be a bad deal 3 years from now and a horrendous deal at the tail end if someone signs him to 6 or 7 years.
07ag
AG
YNWA_AG said:

George was always upset about super 2
yea luhnow really took advantage of the cba in regards to george's career here,, helped him stay an astro longer and cheaper, but now he's on the wrong side of 30 with less than 40 million in career earnings. for his sake i hope he gets the big contract he's earned, been fun watching him play the last several years,, but the astros aren't the team to give out 8 year 200 million dollar contracts to 31 year olds. not sure anyone is this offseason, but i'd be absolutely shocked if it crane/click offer that. QO for sure, maybe something like 4/100, but even that would probably be considered an insulting offer
https://ts.la/eric59704
W
AG
George has had a strange career on the income statement so to speak.

despite being a 7-year veteran (with his accolades)...his career earnings are only around $36 MM (thanks to the COVID).

also kind of strange that George only has 832 career hits over 7 seasons. But that's where the late call-up, multiple major injuries, and the COVID have cost him
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 32 Greatest Astro Moments is now live.

VOTE NOW!
BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

It's pretty well-documented there's a lot of bad blood between Springer & management. The agreed payment this year without having to go to arbitration may have soothe that over some.

Going back to the post regarding Springers agent messing up. In 2014, he was offered seven years $23 million, which he turned down. In six years, he's made about 28 million. So even with just 5 million or so this year, he still made close to $10 million then he would have if he had accepted that deal.

From June

I don't think he's "mad" enough to take less money to leave, but don't expect a "home town discount". He has no reason to.

Hope he stays, but I'd pass on more than 4 years
ChAg1799
AG
Springer needs to stay... 4 years... affordably
bluefire579
AG
ChAg1799 said:

Springer needs to stay... 4 years... affordably
I'd like that too, but try telling him that if he gets a monster offer somewhere
MaxPower
If he wants years then maybe you can do lower dollars, which saves you cash short term. 6 years, $130M?
agproducer
AG
I'd love if they could lock up George for 4 years, but I'm guessing he will want more than that. Baseball's financials and uncertainty are the wild cards. In a regular off-season, I think George gets at least 28m/year. This year, I'm not so sure.

If I'm George, I see what other FAs are getting before taking a deal, unless there is an offer that blows me away.

I think he ends up with the Mets.

That being said, George is my favorite Astro and it will suck to watch him leave. I understand, and no matter where he goes, I will root for him.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

VOTE NOW!
How is the Burke homerun a 5 seed....
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

VOTE NOW!
How is the Burke homerun a 5 seed....
Why is this worth complaining about?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Im sorry I thought this was an offseason thread where random tangents were discussed....I was wondering how he decided on seeding
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Im sorry I thought this was an offseason thread where random tangents were discussed....I was wondering how he decided on seeding
Just going from experience, Muck, puts a lot of effort into making these happen. Just sticking up for him, I guess. Not sure what got into me.
CoachRTM
AG
Voted. Have a feeling it's going to be a very 2017 heavy bracket.
redline248
AG
Here is how Keith Law starts his free agent article.
Quote:

Owners are shedding personnel to save a few pennies, savings that seem miserly in this climate and often involve letting go of hundreds of years of institutional knowledge.
Save pennies and miserly, in a year where they lost a reported 3 billion.
Harry Dunne
MaxPower said:

If he wants years then maybe you can do lower dollars, which saves you cash short term. 6 years, $130M?
Assuming the Spotrac prediction (4 yrs $100M) is anywhere near accurate, you're not saving that much money with that deal and the final 2 years could be scary.

It's so tough to take the emotion out of it, but you can either be sentimental and sign 30+ y/o players to big deals for services already performed, or you can be like the Patriots. I'd rather see the Nationals pay George the money he deserves and spend that $25M on 1-yr deals and try to find another Uncle Mike and another Chirinos

If Yordan could actually play the field, that would solve some problems as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.