*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,487 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He turned down $325 guaranteed. Can't make this **** up. What happens when a freak injury happens during the dog days?

There's maybe 2-3 other teams that could or would actually pay you that much. Not all of them have the cap room or need or want Lindor when other SS options are much cheaper. He's holding out for MAYBE 1-2 teams that can sign him. And if his agent has another team in his ear about numbers next offseason, he's taking an awful lot on good faith.

I can't imagine having a piece of paper on front of me that as long as I show up to work for the next ten years and don't quit or retire, I get $325 million... and then NOT signing it. I didn't have a strong opinion either way before now, but I hope he gets screwed now.
CFTXAG10
AG
Don't forget if you have T-Mobile today is the day for your free MLB.TV year long sub in the Tuesdays app

Also, I just realized last night that opening day Thursday game starts at 9:00pm. Thank God for Good Friday.
MaxPower
BMX Bandit said:

Exactly.

Not sure the "let's do like Indians" who haven't made it past ALDS since they were in 2016 World Series and now looking at being around .500 is the model to emulate
The Indians can't keep any of their players. We can keep some.

As for whether Springer or Correa are the difference, you are putting aside whatever you get in return. As we already know, a young player can come up and immediately have an impact (see Yordan). It certainly involves risk but it's a way of extending your window, even if it doesn't maximize your opportunity in any given year.

Granato reiterated this morning there is still optimism a deal will get done so we will see.
The Beef01
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

https://theathletic.com/2479518/2021/03/30/how-the-astros-sign-stealing-trash-can-banging-cheating-scandal-may-not-have-actually-helped-them-as-batters/?source=user_shared_article
Alternate name for that article should be:

How the Astros had a unique system to do what all of the other teams were doing and we knew it all along, but do you have any idea how hard it is to go after organizations like the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers? Also, the players on those other teams who knew what was happening in THEIR system should probably shut up now as their deflection is becoming too obvious.

...but yeah, I think the name that they went with for the article is a little bit cleaner.
Farmer1906
AG
Your Yordan example is about 1 in a million. He had one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time. Odds are anyone we get for Correa isn't going to have a significant impact when compared to Correa.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ive never been so happy for a 9pm game!!! Were going out of town for the weekend and would be in the car in no cell service from 5-9...Now I get there just in time to flick the game on and relax!
bobinator
AG
I took off Friday because I'm getting my second COVID shot Thursday afternoon and a lot of people I know have said they've felt a little rough for about 24 hours afterwards.
CFTXAG10
AG
bobinator said:

I took off Friday because I'm getting my second COVID shot Thursday afternoon and a lot of people I know have said they've felt a little rough for about 24 hours afterwards.
Yea, I got the 2nd Moderna shot around 1pm on a weekday back in January. Felt fine until that night, woke up with what felt like a hangover, then later that afternoon was back to 100%. All that to say, you will be good to go by gametime!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So do we know yet what our official roster is? Who is going to the alternate sight? Who our taxi squad will be?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bobinator said:

Really look out for yourself, brother. I had no problems with the first one, but the second one had me running a fever every afternoon/evening, and totally wiped out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Can someone explain Chas McCormick to me? Is he going to be starting in center after having zero games in the majors and hitting .077 in spring training, plus only playing in the DR last year?
The Milkman
AG
Getting my 2nd one tomorrow. Maybe I'll need to rest on Thursday and watch opening day games all day
tjack16
AG
bobinator said:

I got the J&J over spring break, and felt like crap for about 8 hours. Took Tylenol and it pretty much went away

But yeah I wouldnt plan anything the day after
CFTXAG10
AG
ESPN Power Rankings - Astros at 9

Quote:

Projected record: 93-69 (77.8% playoff odds)

Best case: Yordan Alvarez picks up where he left off in 2019, while Alex Bregman, Jose Altuve and Carlos Correa find their respective forms from that campaign as well. Meanwhile, Kyle Tucker matures into an All-Star-level hitter to fill George Springer's void in the lineup as the Astros again push into the mid-90s in the win column and back to the top of the AL West. -- Doolittle
Worst case: Altuve's 2020 season turns out to be more a signpost than a fluke, Correa struggles under the pressure of his walk season and the Astros have to dip further into their pitching depth than they would prefer. Houston ends up winning 84 games and misses the playoffs for the first time since 2016. -- Doolittle
Most exciting player: Let's hope Yordan Alvarez's knees stay healthy, because he hit .313/.412/.655 in 87 games as a rookie in 2019, showcasing the rare ability to hit for a high average along with with upper-deck power. He's a big, intimidating presence in the batter's box, one of those hitters you can't keep your eyes off when he digs in. -- Schoenfield
Schoenfield's bold prediction: Alvarez, Alex Bregman, Carlos Correa and Kyle Tucker each hit 30-plus home runs as the Astros reclaim their AL West throne.

Link to Article
Farmer1906
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Can someone explain Chas McCormick to me? Is he going to be starting in center after having zero games in the majors and hitting .077 in spring training, plus only playing in the DR last year?
More like a lack of options. He did well in AA/AAA in 2019 and must have shown enough to get a call up for the postseason as a backup OF and baserunner though I don't think he ever saw the field.
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

ESPN Power Rankings - Astros at 9

Quote:

Projected record: 93-69 (77.8% playoff odds)

Best case: Yordan Alvarez picks up where he left off in 2019, while Alex Bregman, Jose Altuve and Carlos Correa find their respective forms from that campaign as well. Meanwhile, Kyle Tucker matures into an All-Star-level hitter to fill George Springer's void in the lineup as the Astros again push into the mid-90s in the win column and back to the top of the AL West. -- Doolittle
Worst case: Altuve's 2020 season turns out to be more a signpost than a fluke, Correa struggles under the pressure of his walk season and the Astros have to dip further into their pitching depth than they would prefer. Houston ends up winning 84 games and misses the playoffs for the first time since 2016. -- Doolittle
Most exciting player: Let's hope Yordan Alvarez's knees stay healthy, because he hit .313/.412/.655 in 87 games as a rookie in 2019, showcasing the rare ability to hit for a high average along with with upper-deck power. He's a big, intimidating presence in the batter's box, one of those hitters you can't keep your eyes off when he digs in. -- Schoenfield
Schoenfield's bold prediction: Alvarez, Alex Bregman, Carlos Correa and Kyle Tucker each hit 30-plus home runs as the Astros reclaim their AL West throne.

Link to Article

So we have a better projected record and playoff odds than #5-8

How are we down to 9? Based on their stats and numbers projecting we would be at no worse than 6th
Farmer1906
AG
Because odds are dependent on the division & league.
Farmer1906
AG
Let's make some predictions

Record:
Finish: [Champ, World Series, ALCS, ALDS, WC, or miss Playoffs]

Team MVP:
Team Cy Young:
Team Batting Champ (highest avg):
Team HR Leader:
Team Rookie of the Year:
tjack16
AG

Record: 96-66 (1st in AL West)
Finish: AL CHAMPIONS

Team MVP: Alex Bregman
Team Cy Young: Jose Urquidy
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Jose Altuve (.308)
Team HR Leader: Alvarez (37)
Team Rookie of the Year: not sure who all qualifies for this but I'll say Luis Garcia
CoachRTM
AG
Record : 91-71 (2nd in AL West behind Oakland)
Finish: ALCS loss

Team MVP: Carlos Correa
Team Cy Young: Zack Greinke
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Yordan Alvarez
Team HR Leader: Alex Bregman (going off script here - think Yordan doesn't play enough)
Team Rookie of the Year: Myles Straw (does he count? never has had 130 at bats). If not, I'll go Luis Garcia.
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Record:

Team MVP:
Team Cy Young:
Team HR Leader:
Team Rookie of the Year:
Record: 95-67
Finish: Head - ALCS Loss Heart - WS Champs over Dodgers....again

Team MVP: Carlos Correa (I assume no deal by 4/1 and he goes off in a contract year)
Team Cy Young: Jose Urquidy
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Michael Brantley (professional hitter Uncle Mike)
Team HR Leader: Air Yordan (Stays healthy, DH's most of the season and leads the league)
Team Rookie of the Year: Lets get a little bold here.... Pedro Leon
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Welp, I drafted Kyle Tucker in FLB Sunday night. Pretty sure that guarantees the .231 average with 13 homers and 57 RBI season.
Farmer1906
AG
Record: 95-67 (AL West Winner)
Finish: World Series - loss to LAD

Team MVP: Alex Bregman - will finish top 3 MVP; followed by Kyle Tucker - will get MVP votes for his 30/30 season.
Team Cy Young: Lance McCullers Jr
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Michael Brantley (.307)
Team HR Leader: Yordan Alvarez
Team Rookie of the Year: Enoli Parades (Just under the 45 day limit, I think)
Deluxe
AG
Record: 102-60
World Series champs

Tucker offense MVP. Sky is limit with Correa and Yordan hitting behind him.

Greinke team Cy Young. Pitched great last year before he got hurt. Rest of rotation should be solid.

ROY: Oh I dunno, how bout LUIS GARCIA.

As fans we need to stay patient with the bullpen in early season. It will be fine by playoff time.
MaxPower
In general I find it fascinating how these guys think. I won't paint them all with the same brush but I'd probably focus more on situation than dollars. He has no affinity for the Mets having just been traded there so I don't begrudge him wanting to hit free agency. As a free agent though I'd definitely be more interested in having some minimum amount I want to get paid (maybe $250M in his case) and decide what team gives me the best chance to win, where do I want to setup home base, etc. Of course I'm not the kind of guy who travels for work. Maybe they are on the road so much and so used to that lifestyle it's almost irrelevant where their home team is located.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Regarding Blue Jays home games
Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

As a free agent though I'd definitely be more interested in having some minimum amount I want to get paid (maybe $250M in his case) and decide what team gives me the best chance to win, where do I want to setup home base, etc.

That's what a logical, middle class educated person like us thinks about.

I'm convinced that the vast majority of them look at none of those factors and just want the biggest payday. That's it.

Who will pay me the most?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Record: 101-61.....perpetual optimist
Finish: WS Champs
MVP: Bregman
Cy Young: Urquidy
Batting: Uncle Mike
HR: Yordan
Rookie: Straw, I believe he would be eligible
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Record:

Team MVP:
Team Cy Young:
Team HR Leader:
Team Rookie of the Year:

Record: 91-71
Finish: ALDS
MVP: Tucker
Pitcher: Urquidy
Batting: Brantley
HR: Bregman
Rookie: everybody played last year, so I'll go with T Jones with a second half contribution
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Harry Dunne
Record: 93-69
Finish: Div champs, Make a strong deadline pitching move, win the WS...middle fingers to the sky

Team MVP: Bregman 6+ WAR, MVP candidate
Team Cy Young: ZG, mostly by virtue of being the only guy that goes 150 IP+
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Uncle Mike .309
Team HR Leader: Bregman 32
Team Rookie of the Year: Garcia
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Record:

Team MVP: Correa
Team Cy Young: Urquidy
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Bregman
Team HR Leader: Alvarez
Team Rookie of the Year: Javier, if he still counts as a rookie
edit: If Urquidy is also still considered a rookie I would pick him over Javier for team ROY, given I picked him for Team Cy Young
Mathguy64
AG
Record: 94-68
Finish: Div champs out in the ALCS

Team MVP: Yordan. He goes for 50/150
Team Cy Young: I would have said Framber. I'm taking a flyer on LMJ
Team Batting Champ (highest avg): Altuve (.312)
Team HR Leader: Yordan, he hits 50 Cuban piss missiles
Team Rookie of the Year: Garcia
Farmer1906
AG
Don't look at the first question/answer, Deluxe.

From a Fangraphs chat with Kevin Goldstein, former AstrosSorecial Assistant to the GM. I posted some of the Astros related info.
Quote:

Bort: Are we all sort of sleeping on Luis Garcia (the pitcher)'s upside?
Kevin Goldstein: As long as that upside is a nice back-of-the-rotation piece, no.

Chris: Speaking of contract extensions I know the Astros and Carlos Correa are way off the mark (according to Carlos himself) at 6 years/$120M. What's a range where you see a deal being made?
Kevin Goldstein: I would predict that Carlos' next deal is of the free agent variety.

kyle: what do you make of Andre Scrubb? The eye test and his 5+ xFIP don't scream "high leverage reliever" but his performance last year was surprisingly solid.
Kevin Goldstein: It's really good stuff and VERY scattered command. That combination screams inconsistency. He might whiff the side, and he might quickly have the bases loaded with one out.

Guest: What factors do orgs consider when evaluating catchers? Was completely intrigued when I heard Chandler Rome say the Astros consider Maldonado their MVP He is a great catcher but it doesn't show up in the numbers, seems almost unfair to compare a catcher to say, a left fielder
Kevin Goldstein: Like I said earlier, things like game management, pitch calling, working with pitchers, all of that stuff is INSANELY important and nearly impossible to measure without being close to the team.

Anthony: You've dropped some very positive hints about Jairo Solis. Any details or more recent reports? Where do you think he'll rank on your eventual Astros' prospect list?
Kevin Goldstein: The stuff is VERY good and I'm excited to see what a healthy Solis can do over a full season. It's a shame we didn't get to see that last year, but pandemics have to pandemic I guess.

Jose Altuve: What do you see as realistic to expect from Alutve this year? He's on a two year decline, especially last year, but he's only 30. Any reason to worry or does he rebound?
Kevin Goldstein: .291/.359/.487. Book it.

SJ: Since someone brought up Carlos Gomez, do you have any thoughts/regrets on his time in Houston?
Kevin Goldstein: You think about mistakes more than successes and I think about that trade A LOT.

TJ: How special is Yordan as a hitter? And how much should we worry that he's a full time DH at 23? Even Country Breakfast himself, Billy Butler, was still playing the field at that age.
Kevin Goldstein: Sure, but he shouldn't have been. Alvarez is a special player in the box, but I worry about his ability to post up in order to get 600+ PA a year.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kevin-goldstein-fangraphs-chat-3-29-2021/
bobinator
AG
I obviously have no idea what a rookie is
First Page Last Page
Page 127 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.