*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,567 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I don't fault anyone too much. I didn't care for his personality. Seemed fake. But when he was healthy he was damn good.

I agree his leadership, outspokenness before last year really fixed his image. He's so easy to root for. I hope we pay him whatever it takes to keep him here for a long time.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

To me Correa is different than Cole and Springer. Writing was on the wall with them leaving, and I didnt really blame the front office for it.

This time though he wants to be here and it's doable with the budget

Agree. Just because he hits the market doesn't mean it's over yet. With so many other SS, it'll be a strange offseason.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'm sad this didn't work
Harry Dunne
So who gets the last roster spot?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is the video and full context of Correa's comments.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
On Cishek:

Ag_07
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Abreu
Farmer1906
AG
That's a good question. I'm pretty sure we'll carry 13 pitchers.

Locks (11)
Greinke
McCullers
Urquidy
Javier
Odorizzi
Pressly
Paredes
Taylor
Raley
Stanek
Smith

Injured/Covid
Valdez
James
Scrubb
Baez

Potential Last 2 Spots
Garcia
Abreu
Bielak
A handful of others but who the hell knows.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Abreu

Yes, please!
Ag_07
AG
And I just happen to leave the game on and there was a special bit on the post game about Joe Smith and him missing last year.

Went in to him and his mom and what she had battled with Huntington's Disease. Didn't know she was on her last leg and actually passed in August.

Was a pretty tough watch listening to him talk about caring for her while also dealing with COVID crap. Then about how once his mom passed he had to focus on his dad and what he was going through.

I knew his mom had a disability and never second guessed his decision but damn. Could never imagine going through all that. Props to him for putting family first and hope he comes back fresh and ready to roll. Really stand up guy I'll always root for!
Ag_07
AG
And don't forget there's gonna be a couple spots open with Baez not ready with COVID and Scrubb down.

So with Chisek gone that makes 3 spots.

Abreu
Garcia
Bielak

At least until Emanuel serves the rest of his suspension. He's intriguing.
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is the video and full context of Correa's comments.

Weird take. Of course we want him here. We just can't afford what he's going to require. Simple as that.

Some other team will be able to afford him.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This is such a true statement for most of y'all on here.
Not this guy!

This is exactly me. That mf grew a pair.
shano0603
AG
Now I see why Deshaun Watson didn't use Correa's masseuse.
W
AG
we'll see what happens with Correa...

but a good argument can be made that giving any baseball player a 10-year fully guaranteed contract...is just not a good idea and/or bad business.

because things can change so quickly in sports...and because it's a 26-man roster
Big Al 1992
AG
What's the last time a big hefty long term contract bit us in the ass - Carlos Lee? I'm sure there are more recent ones, but we haven't had that Pujols/Angels type contract around our necks in a while. I don't see paying Correa being something we regret even if his production slips or can't stay healthy as long as he stays positive in the clubhouse and is healthy in October.
Farmer1906
AG
Not long term, but JV's 66 M.
07ag
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

What's the last time a big hefty long term contract bit us in the ass - Carlos Lee? I'm sure there are more recent ones, but we haven't had that Pujols/Angels type contract around our necks in a while. I don't see paying Correa being something we regret even if his production slips or can't stay healthy as long as he stays positive in the clubhouse and is healthy in October.

short term contract, but, very real possibility the astros get exactly 1 start from verlander's 2year 66 million extension

reddick's offense really fell off a cliff the back half of his contract
https://ts.la/eric59704
tjack16
AG
W said:

but a good argument can be made that giving any baseball player a 10-year fully guaranteed contract...is just not a good idea and/or bad business.

because things can change so quickly in sports...and because it's a 26-man roster

I'd say if signing him leads to another ring then it's worth it

Of course when 2031 rolls around and if we look back with no pennants/titles during that time. That's when it's not worth it
Unfortunately we can never know until that time. But the team is miles better keeping him than losing him.
The Milkman
AG
Granato says that Correa asked for 8/200. If that's where he's at then I think we'll get it done by this weekend
Ag_07
AG
That's promising and honestly 8/200 seems pretty reasonable.

Not my money and all but I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.
Farmer1906
AG
Largest Contracts in Astros History (50+ M)

1. Zack Greinke - 6 year, 206.5 M
Obviously, we didn't sign him to this. We traded for with. Didn't cost much to get and AZ threw in $$.

2. Justin Verlander - 7 year, 180 M
Again, we traded for this. JV was declining and it didn't cost all that much.

3. Jose Altuve - 7 year, 163.5 M
Extension to lock in Jose for his prime years without having to give him a guarantee for age 34+.

4. Alex Bregman - 5 year, 100 M
Gave him his money early. This is a big time steal.

5. Carlos Lee - 6 year, 100 M
A lot of empty stats, but probably worth it the first 2 years and not the final 4. Example of why you don't give long-term deals to 31-year-olds.

6. Jeff Bagwell - 5 year, 85 M
Bit of an overpay with the injuries and end of his career.

7. Lance McCullers - 5 year, 85 M
Time will tell.

8. Justin Verlander - 2 year, 66 M
One of the worst contracts ever due to injury.

9. Josh Reddick - 4 year, 52 M
Josh declined quickly. Worth it in '17, meh in '18, bad deal in '19 & '20.

Overall, very few examples of us giving long-term contracts. We ponied up for pitchers in the short term (Roger, Andy, Justin) and also made trades for pitchers with big contracts. Lance is the first pitcher we've given a sizable long-term deal to. The other long-term deals look solid if it's for your prime and bad if given for your 30s.
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman said:

Granato says that Correa asked for 8/200. If that's where he's at then I think we'll get it done by this weekend
If that is the # then I would really hope we do it or negotiate something close to it.

We'd be paying for ages 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, & 34.

Maybe change it up and give 7 year, 185.5 M. A little better yearly for 1 fewer year.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

W said:

Of course when 2031 rolls around and if we look back with no pennants/titles during that time. That's when it's not worth it
Unfortunately we can never know until that time. But the team is miles better keeping him than losing him.

Just because we don't win a title, doesn't mean it's not worth it. I promise you if we win a title this year and JV doesn't;t pitch then his contract is still one of the worst ever. If Carlos has a solid healthy career then he'll be worth what he's paid.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

Just because we don't win a title, doesn't mean it's not worth it. I promise you if we win a title this year and JV doesn't;t pitch then his contract is still one of the worst ever. If Carlos has a solid healthy career then he'll be worth what he's paid.

True. It would just feel like opportunity wasted if we couldn't cash in on Correa, Bregman, Altuve, Alvarez and Tucker as our offensive core over the next 4-8 years

I personally think signing Correa puts us as WS contenders through the next few years. Losing him and Springer both in a one year span could be crippling
07ag
AG
If that's where correa is at i bet they get it done

but correa has talked several times about spending his whole career in houston. which i take to mean hes looking for, like, a 12-14 year deal. which i bet means north of 300million. and the astros aren't going to do that
Mathguy64
AG
I wonder if he would do 4/120. Much shorter and much higher AV during his absolute peak. That lets him hit FA again at age 30 for another 6 year contract.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

The Milkman said:

If that is the # then I would really hope we do it or negotiate something close to it.

Maybe change it up and give 7 year, 185.5 M. A little better yearly for 1 fewer year.
I'd be okay with something similar to all this, but nothing more. Carlos is good, but their are some very good SS's that will hit the market as well that I'd be okay signing for cheaper and investing the extra money in pitching.

Carlos did win some brownie points with me last year for how he handled everything in spring training, but that only goes so far. His injury history does matter and it should matter in terms of relating to his salary and a new contract. If he wants to hold out for 30mil a year well then ok....bye
AustinCountyAg
Mathguy64 said:

I wonder if he would do 4/120. Much shorter and much higher AV during his absolute peak. That lets him hit FA again at age 30 for another 6 year contract.
hell with that....
Farmer1906
AG
Absolutely. It just takes a lot of hits to make it all happen. Look at LAA. I'd say Trout is 100% every sent he's been given. They just can't figure out how to spend good money around him.

If we lock Correa in then we have the following on the roster to make multiple runs.
Correa
Bregman
Altuve
Tucker
Alvarez
McCullers
Urquidy
Framber
Javier
Paredes

We also have Brantley, Castro for multiple years in the short term.

Plus we should have a few more dollars to spend during this time. Add in our top minor leaguers Leon, Pena, Whitley, etc plus potential trades and we should be set up to make runs in 21, 22, 23, 24, & 25.
AustinCountyAg
I wouldn't categorize Whitley as a top minor leaguer anymore....
Frok
AG
07ag said:

but correa has talked several times about spending his whole career in houston. which i take to mean hes looking for, like, a 12-14 year deal. which i bet means north of 300million. and the astros aren't going to do that

I would pay more per year to avoid any 12-14 year contract. That's a guaranteed bad deal at the end of the contract.
07ag
AG
Frok said:

07ag said:

I would pay more per year to avoid any 12-14 year contract. That's a guaranteed bad deal at the end of the contract.
agreed, something like 7/210 sounds doable

regardless, i hope they find a middle ground and he doesn't walk,, best astros ss since pre-injury dickie thon, if not ever
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Milkman said:

I find this conversation funny. I suggested in January that the Astros should offer an 8/226 contract for Correa and many scoffed, saying Correa would never sign it because it was too low.
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.