*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,527 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

That is the exact money Madbum got and very similar to what Eovaldi got, but 1 less year. Both turning out to be horrible deals.
Advanced metric didn't back up either deal. MadBum was clearly past his prime and Eovaldi got paid off one hot post season. LMC's metric say he is better than his ERA may indicate. Health is the bigger question, but the Astros must be content he is good to go a year removed from TJ.
I agree. Wasn't trying to insinuate this was a bad deal because those were.

The way Strommy has been talking about Lance, he could have a breakout year where he goes from good to great. If that's the case, we may have gotten a deal. But the injuries and consistently scare the **** out of me.
Ag_07
AG
Honestly I think that's a good deal for both sides.

I like this
tjack16
AG
If we win another title in the next few years, then going over the luxury tax will be worth it
bearkatag15
AG

maybe we aren't over???
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Wonder if there's any no-trade stuff involved. Either way, Boras is his agent, so he wasn't settling for a low number.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this was a deal negotiated by Crane. This doesn't seem in line with our typical front-office M.O.
Too early to really know what the M.O. is with Click in charge?
Farmer1906
AG
k20dub
AG
Dude puts on for the H, that's for sure. Let's fuggin go

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Well **** if thats the case then go heap a Scrooge McDuck pile of coins on Correa's front lawn "starting in 2022"
YNWA_AG
AG
JJxvi
AG
Thats actually very interesting if you are actually able have contract extension agreements that do not come into effect until the end of the previous one for luxury tax purposes. I guess it makes sense, it'd actually be kind of a nightmare to try and enforce something like this in a situation where the player and team both want to agree to something that is exactly the same whether signed now or a year from now, but there is a punishment for getting it done now. It may even be that if his current contract doesn't change, that nothing needs to be submitted to MLB about his new one until next year unless they want to.
JJxvi
AG
This deal is interesting because it feels like McCullers is a pitcher getting paid for what the team hopes he will do in the future rather than getting paid for what he's already accomplished. Although that can be looked at from either angle I suppose.
3B Paul 97
AG
Rainbow sleeves are hands down my favorite.
Ag_07
AG
Nature of the game really

But honestly I think Lance can be a solid #2 guy in the rotation and I feel like $15m per year is a good deal for that.

We're not significantly over paying and he's not being severely under valued. Good for both sides.
MaxPower
I think it's that plus you want to keep your own talent rather than let them walk. He still has a lot of potential, he's young and has low mileage.
JJxvi
AG
I also dont think we know if this is the kind of deal the front office would like to do generally. Click would have never had an opportunity to sign a pitcher to an extension like this no matter what before.
tjack16
AG
Click's first big extension that's more than 2 years. It's a good sign

Now let's lock in Correa
bearkatag15
AG

yeah 0 chance Carlos was taking that deal
Farmer1906
AG
This is the most we've paid total $ wise and year wise under Crane. It's for age 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, and 32. The is ideal prime. Stuff wise Lance has it. He's dedicated (look at him physically), humble, yet extremely firey too. He's proven no moment is too big with him (playoffs, WS). The only thing left is to stay healthy and don't let things snowball when they're not going right.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

yeah 0 chance Carlos was taking that deal
Bump up the years and $ by 25%. 7 year 175 or 8 year 200 is probably where we need to start. From there it's a negotiation. Carlos believes he and Lindor are the top two SS. Lindor is close to getting offered 300 M. He was probably offended by that offer and I am not sure I blame him.
bearkatag15
AG

I guess Click used Bogaerts as the comp for the initial starting point.
JJxvi
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This is the most we've paid total $ wise and year wise under Crane. It's for age 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, and 32. The is ideal prime. Stuff wise Lance has it. He's dedicated (look at him physically), humble, yet extremely firey too. He's proven no moment is too big with him (playoffs, WS). The only thing left is to stay healthy and don't let things snowball when they're not going right.
For a pitcher you mean? Its more years, I think, than Bregman got, but not dollars. Altuve has the largest contract the Astros have signed in both years and dollars in the Crane era.
Farmer1906
AG
Bogaerts before he signed the deal.

.288 AVG
.350 OBP
.451 SLG
.801 OPS
112 OPS+

Carlos career #

.276 AVG
.353 OBP
.480 SLG
.833 OPS
126 OPS+

Clear edge for Correa, but looking just are the last 3 years of Bogaerts and he's a steal for only 20 M. He's been killing it. Nice job by Boston to lock him up for 20 M a year for a reasonable amount of years.
MaxPower
Kind of silly because Bogaerts was grossly underpaid. I suspect he will get 8 and $200 if he hits free agency.
tjack16
AG
6/120 ain't gonna get that done. Kind of a lowball offer

He's only worth $6 mil more per year than McCullers? He's gonna get at least 25 MM per year
Ag_07
AG
Now do their playoff numbers
Farmer1906
AG
Don't tell me what to do.
Ag_07
AG
You don't have to. I think I know whose numbers are better.

And I personally think Correa's playoff production carries some serious weight.
Farmer1906
AG
Correa is 100x him in the playoffs. Even without that factored in, he's getting way more than 120/6.
Bulldog73
AG
For "only" 6 years, I expect the number to end up closer to 30 than 20.
astros4545
AG
Yah, that rumored offer is kind of a slap in the face a little bit

Of course, this is being reported by Jon Heyman who I wouldnt put it past to completely make something up to make the Astros look bad, guy is a vile piece of rat excrement
Farmer1906
AG
JJxvi
AG
As pessimistic as that tweet sounds, and with the fact that there is a deadline, I feel like it kinda makes more sense (from the organization's POV) all the time to go ahead and sign Correa to a big deal. The only problem is that like McCullers, he's gonna get a premium for what you hope he's gonna do over and above what he actually accomplished due to his injuries.

With Odorizzi and McCullers locked up. Thats two of your starting pitchers for the next three years hopefully . So, in my mind, the question is how do the Astros truly feel about their young starters? If they feel like they might have to sign or trade for multiple expensive starting pitchers to fill in holes in the rotation, then signing Correa is harder. But if they really like their young pitchers and expect them to succeed, it makes a lot of sense to lock up Correa if he will agree to a fair deal.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

That is the exact money Madbum got and very similar to what Eovaldi got, but 1 less year. Both turning out to be horrible deals.
Advanced metric didn't back up either deal. MadBum was clearly past his prime and Eovaldi got paid off one hot post season. LMC's metric say he is better than his ERA may indicate. Health is the bigger question, but the Astros must be content he is good to go a year removed from TJ.

The way Strommy has been talking about Lance, he could have a breakout year where he goes from good to great. If that's the case, we may have gotten a deal. But the injuries and consistently scare the **** out of me.

Yeah the injuries and his lack of composure in high stress situations make me very wary of this deal.

Not a huge fan of it, tbh. Feels like it could come back to haunt us more so than it ends up working greatly in our favor
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yeah the injuries and his lack of composure in high stress situations make me very wary of this deal.

Not a huge fan of it, tbh. Feels like it could come back to haunt us more so than it ends up working greatly in our favor

Funny, I seem to remember 24 straight curve balls in a high stress situation...
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

Funny, I seem to remember 24 straight curve balls in a high stress situation...

Also some pretty good starts in the World Series game 3 and game 7 in 2017
First Page Last Page
Page 117 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.