****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,646,785 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Post removed:
by user
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wabs said:

What will be interesting is to see who makes offers to Springer over the off season (Please Astros re-sign him).

One of the big market teams is going to offer him a big long term contract. Then they will wax poetic about his contrition and how a fresh start in a lily white organization is good for him and baseball as a whole.

The whole thing will be a load of crap but they will think justifiably done.
AggieLit
I was looking at player postseason stats last night and it seems like most of our guys were really cold last October. When you compare the last four postseasons, 2019 was a down year for Correa, Springer, and Bregman. Altuve played pretty well, but not as good as 2017. Brantley was ok. I remember last year all through the playoffs feeling like something just wasn't right, and we relied on pitching to get us through, with a few occasional bursts of offense. I think it was the pressure and the expectations last year, whereas this year, the playoffs are more like a release. We're not supposed to be here, and we can finally answer everything we've been hearing.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Wabs said:

What will be interesting is to see who makes offers to Springer over the off season (Please Astros re-sign him).

After all the **** other teams and their fans have talked about the "cheating Astros", now they want to add one of them to their team? Kinda like Dodger fan rooting for Mookie and David Price after they came over from the cheating Red Sox.

Another interesting one will be to see who (if anyone) signs rat face coward snitch ***** Fiers.You think any players really want him in their clubhouse?
I could see the Mets going hard after Springer with a new owner looking to spend.
3B Paul 97
AG
Don't we get Smith and Osuna back? Maybe bring back Peacock?
Teddy Perkins
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Don't we get Smith and Osuna back? Maybe bring back Peacock?
Osuna is likely having Tommy John surgery. Smith will be back next year.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

I actually hope we focus less on the bullpen and more on starter types. Sure, a strong bullpen is fine, but this postseason is once again confirming what we already know. Good starting pitching is how you win.

It makes logical sense too. Starters are starters because they have the best stuff to go multiple innings. Most bullpen guys have one, maybe two really good pitches, but they can't make it more than an inning or two without getting knocked around. You need reliability out of your bullpen for sure, but we have crushed elite bullpens, and I think that has to do with them ultimately not being as good as starters. Also, one guy has an off inning and you can be toast.

In the Dodgers broadcast last night, they talked about how Roberts told his guys to try to work long ABs to get more relievers in there. Said he believed seeing them more mitigated whatever advantages they had. He should know because he saw first hand how we did it to his bullpen in 2017.

All in all, I'm for adding some bullpen help, but we get Joe Smith back next year as well as Peacock. Sure, add another guy or two, but don't go crazy. I'd rather us try to find another starter or two.
That's a fair point. I guess at the end of the day, we just want to bring pitchers who are best at getting batters out and then find roles for them. And it's probably easier to take a starter and mold him to a bullpen role than the opposite.

I agree with you. I want guys who can get outs. So, in reality, I guess I don't care too much because you do have to balance between the regular season and postseason. Gotta have the pen to get through the season, but maybe an additional starter or two to go with a different postseason strategy.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

I agree with you. I want guys who can get outs. So, in reality, I guess I don't care too much because you do have to balance between the regular season and postseason. Gotta have the pen to get through the season, but maybe an additional starter or two to go with a different postseason strategy.
Also, I doubt this "no off days" playoff scheduling will persist going forward. But if it does, that's a game changer in terms of how to assemble a staff.
agproducer
AG
One thing I think has been glossed over is there fact that there are recent former Astros who are still supporting the team. Look at Collin McHugh. Look at Robinson Chirinos. I think it is cool these guys who left the team for business reasons still are rooting for their guys. It shows me the team, regardless of the haters, is really special.
safety guy
AG
Off days will always be a part of playoffs due to travel. Now, if baseball goes to neutral sites, then off dates do become unnecessary.
bearkatag15
AG
I assume Dusty will carry 1 or 2 fewer position players and add 1 or 2 more pitchers to the bullpen. I'd like to see Cionel Perez in specific situations.
safety guy
AG
If the Astros end up playing the Yankees and the sign stealing is brought up by the media, hopefully someone in the Houston media has the stones to ask the Yankees about the extent of their surveillance programs. Put them on the spot and don't let up. Bring up the sealed documents.
Memphis 7
Am I the only one that gives zero ****s about the 2017 thing based on several things MLB has done to the Astros, one of which being making them close the roof in 2005?

Leaving (IMO the best historic division in baseball) for the AL West was the hardest pounding I've seen on a sports city outside of taking their team away.

And the crying is coming g from LA and NY? This is amazing.
Deluxe
AG
Ask Boone and the Yankee players to demand that the letter be opened. Should be easy for them if it contains nothing nefarious.
astros4545
AG
**** Joe Smith

Don't want his ass back
Beat40
Nah. I want him back. Don't have anything against a guy who believes he was doing the right thing for his family.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Has anyone seen Mike Friers?

He was last seen walking the streets of the Bay Area asking people if they wanted to look at his 2017 replica World Series ring.

Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

**** Joe Smith

Don't want his ass back
I do. He's a quality arm and would be so clutch vs the Yankees with his ability to get righties out.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

**** Joe Smith

Don't want his ass back
I do. He's a quality arm and would be so clutch vs the Yankees with his ability to get righties out.
I'd take him back right now even if his arm is only in shape enough to throw 75 mph
wangus12
AG
Oh look. National media saying everyone should be soooooooo angry right now. **** 'em. I did enjoy the little tidbit at the end on why you should root for the Astros

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30064947/so-houston-astros-headed-another-alcs-how-angry-be
Ambres
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

**** Joe Smith

Don't want his ass back
I'd take him back right now even if his arm is only in shape enough to throw 75 mph
I was wishing for his arm during Game 3.. his arm would have helped solidify a pretty good bullpen. (I agree .. don't hold it against him to pick family first.)
Ag_07
AG
astros4545 said:

**** Joe Smith

Don't want his ass back

Stop

Are you seriously crapping on a guy who's mom has a debilitating disease and who's wife was pregnant? If anyone had a legit reason to sit out it's Joe Smith.

He's a great guy who never wavered on his decision, and has been nothing but a good precense in the pen.

I'll take him back in a heartbeat and I bet the organization agrees.
Wabs
AG
What is the deadline for announcing LCS rosters? Someone posted before, I'd like to see Cionel in the pen.
TarponChaser
Memphis 7 said:

Am I the only one that gives zero ****s about the 2017 thing based on several things MLB has done to the Astros, one of which being making them close the roof in 2005?

Leaving (IMO the best historic division in baseball) for the AL West was the hardest pounding I've seen on a sports city outside of taking their team away.

And the crying is coming g from LA and NY? This is amazing.

I too give zero ****s about the whole "cheating scandal."

Sure, it was technically against the commissioner's edict but every damn team in baseball was doing it. The Astros were just scapegoats for MLB so they could protect their blue bloods. Sign stealing has always been part of baseball and using electronic means is just the next progression in an analytics-driven era. The idea the Astros were the only ones doing it is so monumentally stupid and naive it's not worth even discusssion.

**** the haters.
amercer
AG
I'm just happy the team pulled together to reach this point. Winning two more series would be great, but getting here has already made the media write a bunch of "well I guess these guys are good" articles.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If ESPN hates cheaters so much why did it spend all of 1998 on its knees blowing McGwire and Sosa?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
wangus12 said:

Oh look. National media saying everyone should be soooooooo angry right now. **** 'em. I did enjoy the little tidbit at the end on why you should root for the Astros

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30064947/so-houston-astros-headed-another-alcs-how-angry-be

Delicious, salty tears!!!
BayAg_14
We get our shot boys!

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well, this story aged well:
https://whitecleatbeat.com/2020/09/11/oakland-as-send-message-houston-astros-series-beating/

The Oakland A's have sent a message to the Houston Astros. A new day has dawned for the American League West.
AggiEE
No way we get rid of Greinke with Verlander out.

Are starting rotation needs a veteran presence. We've been lucky our rookies have done well but that can easily change
Cromagnum
AG
I've changed my mind. I want the Yankees and Dodgers again so we can shut them both up ourselves.
Deluxe
AG
We'll see
redline248
AG
AggiEE said:

No way we get rid of Greinke with Verlander out.

Are starting rotation needs a veteran presence. We've been lucky our rookies have done well but that can easily change
I agree with you, but I'm not sure if Greinke actually provides much veteran presence.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Cromagnum said:

I've changed my mind. I want the Yankees and Dodgers again so we can shut them both up ourselves.
I want the Yankees, but would prefer to play the Braves in the WS. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I also feel like if we ended up playing the dodgers and lost we'd never hear the end of it. Maybe I need to get a dog.
scrimp
AG
The biggest difference between the Astros cheating and everyone else is the way they did it--banging on a trash can---something that can be detected by anyone that can find youtube and has decent hearing. There were dozens of games archived on the internet that made it obvious once you knew what to listen for. I don't think MLB necessarily wanted to open the can of worms, but once it was out there, they had to deal with it somehow.

The other "smoking guns" of Apple watches, iPads, etc can be dismissed or explained away. The very obvious thumping cannot.

It's almost like the idiots that film themselves doing something illegal and then post it on the internet. Others may do the same thing and get away with it, but the Astros did it in a manner that they couldn't deny or explain away like other teams have.
First Page Last Page
Page 677 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.