****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,638,108 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol Rodney is terrible... but at this point we need warm bodies.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
**** it, sign bartolo
CFTXAG10
AG
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Is Tim Wakefield available?

Smoltz have anything left in the tank?

Hell, Backe does industrial sales in the area...
Marvin
AG
I guess Folty was a pass.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Guess we really liked these 4 games
Mr.Bond
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Christ almighty WHY????
CFTXAG10
AG
That .750 winning % is too hot to ignore
Marvin
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Christ almighty WHY????

AJ's not coming back, so who would you target instead? Not being a jerk, just asking... who you got in mind?

Big Al 1992
AG
Who had Astros will be using Sugar Land Skeeters pitchers for their defending AL Championship team on their 2020 Bingo Card?
Mr.Bond
AG
Marvin said:

Mr.Bond said:

Christ almighty WHY????

AJ's not coming back, so who would you target instead? Not being a jerk, just asking... who you got in mind?

Literally anyone....... Like anyone else with a fraction of baseball experience.
Ag_07
AG
Guessing maybe with all the craziness they thought it best to keep things the same and not bother with a managerial search and the 3rd manager in 3 years
Mathguy64
AG
Short of Buck Showalter I thought Dusty was the worst candidate they looked at. I kind of feel like this was coming. It was never going to be just one year unless things fell totally apart. And given the short season it sounds like he gets a pass whatever happens.
amercer
AG
k20dub said:

amercer said:

Teams with more than 10% positive should just forfeit those games until they are cleared.
Would you feel this way if this happens to the Astros?

It would suck, but it would also make teams enforce their bubble. It's not that hard to avoid outbreaks if everyone follows the rules.
Mathguy64
AG
amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

Teams with more than 10% positive should just forfeit those games until they are cleared.

It would suck, but it would also make teams enforce their bubble. It's not that hard to avoid outbreaks if everyone follows the rules.

But there is no bubble. They travel through airports. They stay in hotels in every city but home.
Marvin
AG
Rodney pitched 47 innings in 2019. He sported a sparkling 5.66 ERA with an ERA+ of 80, a 1.615 WHIP and less than 2.0 K/BB ratio.

I see this is in full compliance with the ongoing lesson from 2020: Never, and I mean NEVER, ask what could possibly happen next.
amercer
AG
mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

But there is no bubble. They travel through airports. They stay in hotels in every city but home.

Sounds like they might want to fix that.
Mathguy64
AG
amercer said:

mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

That horse done left the barn.
jopatura
AG
Marvin said:

Mr.Bond said:

Christ almighty WHY????

Wasn't their second choice Brad Ausmus?

With the short season, no one is going to fire managers unless something goes really wrong.

There's no one quality in the pipe. The Astros also don't seem like they are 100% ready to blow everything up again and trust a fairly rookie manager. I liked some of the candidates that they interviewed from AA and AAA but team wasn't really looking to rebuild right now. Signing Dusty for better or worse adds some stability.
amercer
AG
mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

I mean, yes and no right? It's 2020 I think we could probably get professional sports teams from city to city without having them walk around in airport terminals. And you only really catch it by standing next to someone who's has it for 10 minutes, so being a little more strict on distancing in hotels and in your home town would probably help.

European soccer teams worked it out somehow, without a full bubble.
lunchbox
Marlins won't play thru Sunday

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-games-postponed-orioles-to-play-yankees
tjack16
AG
lunchbox said:

Marlins won't play thru Sunday

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-games-postponed-orioles-to-play-yankees

Probably smartest move. Now it's up to the MLB to get other games in that will help that process.
Beat40
amercer said:

mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

I mean, yes and no right? It's 2020 I think we could probably get professional sports teams from city to city without having them walk around in airport terminals. And you only really catch it by standing next to someone who's has it for 10 minutes, so being a little more strict on distancing in hotels and in your home town would probably help.

I hope MLB consulted those soccer clubs. They have professional sports leagues in Europe who have been traveling since their restart. If MLB didn't consult, hey are dumb. So, I'm guessing they didn't consult.
gougler08
AG
Beat40 said:

amercer said:

mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

I hope MLB consulted those soccer clubs. They have professional sports leagues in Europe who have been traveling since their restart. If MLB didn't consult, hey are dumb. So, I'm guessing they didn't consult.
Oh 90% chance they didn't consult at all
bullard21k
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Marvin said:

Mr.Bond said:

Christ almighty WHY????

Literally anyone....... Like anyone else with a fraction of baseball experience.

I agree. Weird year, lots of drama...okay I get baker as a stop gap.

Most of our hesitations I hiring him while maybe not completely revealed 4 games in but certainly lots of what we figured we'd see are happening
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Most of our hesitations I hiring him while maybe not completely revealed 4 games in but certainly lots of what we figured we'd see are happening

Like what? I'm seriously curious

I think the first 4 games of the season is horrible sample size to judge a manager. Like I've said before Hinch did some really out of character things the first week of the season for the sake of getting guys game action early.

I wasn't a big fan of the hire but I'm gonna give it more than the first 4 games before I form my opinion.
Beat40
mathguy86 said:

amercer said:

k20dub said:

amercer said:

I doubt it really all the travel. My bet is some young dude(s) on the Marlins have been going out in Miami and got it that way.

I think the point of the bubble for NBA and MLS is to keep the young millionaires with no family from going out and risk getting exposed.

But guess what, the NBA has already had players sneak out of the bubble, got caught, and have had to restart quarantine. Guess we'll see if the bubble really works.

At the end of the day, it mostly comes down to personal responsibility.
Deluxe
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I'm kinda indifferent about Dusty but felt like this move was inevitable. For better or worse, I think Crane cares more than he used to about "doing the right thing". It would have been a bad look to hire Dusty, tell him to throw the young pitchers into the fire, then not pickup his option after a shortened 60 game season.
ebdb_bnb
wangus12 said:

lunchbox said:

mathguy86 said:

I thought each team had its own in house testing equipment.
The smart ones started looking into that and purchasing their own once the delays in results started. Not sure if everyone did so.
The actual hard part is getting the reagent for running the test. Its in very low supply.
My wife works for a company that produces reagents for the testing and they are non stop busy. They also have a research only test used by one MLB team for preliminary results. These test results are apparent within 30 mins, don't require specialized equipment and aren't sent off for examination. If the result is positive, then the player is required to get a clinical test.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

At the end of the day, it mostly comes down to personal responsibility. the strength of the MLBPA

MLBPA is strong enough that they didn't need to agree on a bubble. The players whined about it as soon as it was brought up and I doubt it was ever an option for the PA
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So Rodney is exactly why we left guys off of our 40 man roster correct? so we wont have to remove anyone we just have to move someone...biagibi down to corpus and then put rodney in the pen, he should already be in shape since skeeters have already been playing.
spadilly
S
Along with Baker, they extended the windmill and Strom.
Glad to keep those two for sure.
If the players were good with keeping Dusty around, that's enough for me to buy into him.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
ebdb_bnb said:

wangus12 said:

lunchbox said:

mathguy86 said:

I thought each team had its own in house testing equipment.
The smart ones started looking into that and purchasing their own once the delays in results started. Not sure if everyone did so.
The actual hard part is getting the reagent for running the test. Its in very low supply.
My wife works for a company that produces reagents for the testing and they are non stop busy. They also have a research only test used by one MLB team for preliminary results. These test results are apparent within 30 mins, don't require specialized equipment and aren't sent off for examination. If the result is positive, then the player is required to get a clinical test.
That makes WAAAAAY too much sense for the whole league to use. Use a fast test that never gives a false negative but can produce a false positive....if you pop then do a more stringent test.

Way to much sense
dshedd41
S
Same. I like Dusty Baker personally and I'm glad he's our manager. I liked AJ too, but he is in the past and we need to focus on the future. We can still win a World Series with Dusty at the helm.
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.