****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,630,200 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
E said:

astros4545 said:

Wait, so he's tested negative and positive 6 times? Or am I reading this wrong?
Nope. Implicit in the 6 negatives are the 5-6 positives in between them. Or more. He could have 3-4 positives and then a negative. And then wash, rinse, repeat. It's like he's just taking tests to see if he can roll snake eyes twice. If he's taken than many that quickly and they are that all over the place he needs to stop taking tests.

ETA I wonder what the Type I and Type II errors actually are.
07ag
AG
n_touch said:

07ag said:

How tall are you that your dart board is dang near touching the ceiling?
must be a weird angle. ceiling is 10 ft, dart board is regulation height (center of bullseye 5ft 8in from ground)
https://ts.la/eric59704
MosesHallRAB04
AG
n_touch said:

07ag said:

Persons height doesn't matter for proper dart board hanging. It's bullseye to floor height. Just saying.
Jackal99
AG
mathguy86 said:

E said:

astros4545 said:

Nope. Implicit in the 6 negatives are the 5-6 positives in between them. Or more. He could have 3-4 positives and then a negative. And then wash, rinse, repeat. It's like he's just taking tests to see if he can roll snake eyes twice. If he's taken than many that quickly and they are that all over the place he needs to stop taking tests.
Cut him some slack. He's only 21, he may not have figured that out yet.
Mathguy64
AG
Jackal99 said:

mathguy86 said:

E said:

astros4545 said:

I'm envisioning him giving the stare down at the tech who has to tell him he tested positive again.
07ag
AG
mathguy86 said:

Jackal99 said:

mathguy86 said:

E said:

astros4545 said:

I'm envisioning him giving the stare down at the tech who has to tell him he tested positive again.
Probably also hard to get a good consistent nasal swab when he's dancing back and forth like an idiot
MosesHallRAB04
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

n_touch said:

07ag said:

Persons height doesn't matter for proper dart board hanging. It's bullseye to floor height. Just saying.

Forgot to say nice setup. I see your dart board cabinet and raise you this one.
https://imgur.com/a/BBCyxNn

Apparently I suck and can't post pics. I can live with that
Mathguy64
AG
07ag said:

mathguy86 said:

Jackal99 said:

mathguy86 said:

E said:

astros4545 said:

Probably also hard to get a good consistent nasal swab when he's dancing back and forth like an idiot
If they invented a perfect test involving a 7 mm cath and a bladder swab he wouldn't be so anxious to be shotgunning exams.

And I suspect his nasal passages are so raw that he's screwing the tests up by now.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Deluxe said:

Obviously it's still way too early to be making conclusive determinations but I think we've seen some good/bad signs so far that are fair to comment on.

To me, the key to this year (as a fan anyway) is patience. We've got alot of young/inexperienced pitchers to integrate into our staff and time is of the essence because we're inevitably going to need some of them to perform THIS year if we're going to make a deep run. And Dusty/Click need time to assess personnel. They to have to delicately balance 'managing to win every game' with 'putting inexperienced guys in high leverage situations and see if they sink or swim'. We'll almost certainly lose a few regular season games because of that.

It was nice to have the Mariners opening weekend so we could begin making some of those determinations without too much scoreboard risk. And as lame as the 16 team playoff is, it could be helpful in that we can afford a little more trial/error without fear of missing the playoffs altogether.

Some initial personnel takes:

Hope I'm wrong but I think James is miscast as a starter. At this point, I think his proper utilization is as a "microwave"/middle inning guy out of the bullpen. He's too inconsistent for starter or high leverage bullpen work. I kinda hope we look into selling on him via trade before it's too late. I also think Devo/Biagini are who we thought they were. Serviceable middle inning guys who don't need to be near the mound with a late inning lead.

On the flip side, it was nice to see Javier, Paredes, Sneed and Taylor get off to good starts. Abreu looked a little shaky but didn't allow any runs. If we make a championship run this year, we'll need some big contributions from at least 1-2 of those guys. Looking forward to getting Urquidy back in the mix and hopefully Whitley will earn a few innings later this year.

I could be wrong about this but offensively it seems like we're looking to go the other way a bit more this year... especially against the shift. I was always fine with the Hinch/moneyball strategy in the regular season to try and hit bombs but some Dusty small ball might play better in the playoffs. Who knows.

Even though they didn't get off to the hottest starts, glad Springer, Bregman and Altuve got on the board with dingers. Didn't want a bunch of public hoopla counting the days until they hit their first HRs without "cheating".

And while things look a bit shaky right now, I still think we're gonna be strong AF come playoff time if we can get our key pieces back from injury... specifically JV, Pressly, Peacock and Smith (not to mention Urquidy and Alvarez... who I don't think are actually "hurt"). Just gotta tread water and develop guys in the meantime.

Hope we light up LA this week.

Great post
Marvin
AG
Who would have thought we'd be looking at Urquidy as a "veteran presence" on this staff?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
07ag
AG
Deluxe said:

Obviously it's still way too early to be making conclusive determinations but I think we've seen some good/bad signs so far that are fair to comment on.

To me, the key to this year (as a fan anyway) is patience. We've got alot of young/inexperienced pitchers to integrate into our staff and time is of the essence because we're inevitably going to need some of them to perform THIS year if we're going to make a deep run. And Dusty/Click need time to assess personnel. They to have to delicately balance 'managing to win every game' with 'putting inexperienced guys in high leverage situations and see if they sink or swim'. We'll almost certainly lose a few regular season games because of that.

It was nice to have the Mariners opening weekend so we could begin making some of those determinations without too much scoreboard risk. And as lame as the 16 team playoff is, it could be helpful in that we can afford a little more trial/error without fear of missing the playoffs altogether.

Some initial personnel takes:

Hope I'm wrong but I think James is miscast as a starter. At this point, I think his proper utilization is as a "microwave"/middle inning guy out of the bullpen. He's too inconsistent for starter or high leverage bullpen work. I kinda hope we look into selling on him via trade before it's too late. I also think Devo/Biagini are who we thought they were. Serviceable middle inning guys who don't need to be near the mound with a late inning lead.

On the flip side, it was nice to see Javier, Paredes, Sneed and Taylor get off to good starts. Abreu looked a little shaky but didn't allow any runs. If we make a championship run this year, we'll need some big contributions from at least 1-2 of those guys. Looking forward to getting Urquidy back in the mix and hopefully Whitley will earn a few innings later this year.

I could be wrong about this but offensively it seems like we're looking to go the other way a bit more this year... especially against the shift. I was always fine with the Hinch/moneyball strategy in the regular season to try and hit bombs but some Dusty small ball might play better in the playoffs. Who knows.

Even though they didn't get off to the hottest starts, glad Springer, Bregman and Altuve got on the board with dingers. Didn't want a bunch of public hoopla counting the days until they hit their first HRs without "cheating".

And while things look a bit shaky right now, I still think we're gonna be strong AF come playoff time if we can get our key pieces back from injury... specifically JV, Pressly, Peacock and Smith (not to mention Urquidy and Alvarez... who I don't think are actually "hurt"). Just gotta tread water and develop guys in the meantime.

Hope we light up LA this week.
goals should be 1. get to playoffs 2. be as healthy as possible for the playoffs. 3. develop young pitchers, figure out who is good, who isn't, who should be in bullpen, etc.

so if friday was the only regular season start jv makes, but he's good to go for a full playoff run that's fine with me. even if we limp in as the 8th seed
07ag
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

n_touch said:

07ag said:

Forgot to say nice setup. I see your dart board cabinet and raise you this one.
https://imgur.com/a/BBCyxNn

Apparently I suck and can't post pics. I can live with that
great setup with the disappearing dartboard! i'm curious to see how it all folds together
Ag_07
AG
The way things sit now I'm concerned about our ability to win a 7 games series with the staff we have.

Making playoffs should be a breeze and I think with LMJ, ZG, and Urquidy winning a 3 or 5 games series is doable, but navigating a 7 game series with only 3 starters and a young, inexperienced BP is going to be really tough.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

The way things sit now I'm concerned about our ability to win a 7 games series with the staff we have.

Making playoffs should be a breeze and I think with LMJ, ZG, and Urquidy winning a 3 or 5 games series is doable, but navigating a 7 game series with only 3 starters and a young, inexperienced BP is going to be really tough.

It'll really depend on who we are matched up with. If a team can shut our offense down like the nationals did at MMP then we are screwed. But if we face a team like Minnesota, LAA or Oakland then we should be okay.
Deluxe
AG
tjholley16 said:

Pretty sure that's Farmer doing jumping jacks in that vid
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Each side slides in. The front piece folds down by lifting and removing the posts and letting it drip down. The poles have hinges. It's not exactly portable though as it's heavy. Probably 40 maybe pushing 50 lbs.

https://imgur.com/a/fYgqrPP
Farmer1906
AG
At the start of 2019 we had no idea we'd have Greinke or Urquidy in our postseason rotation. We don't know yet about JV and we don't know if we'll have someone step up. Still it is Hands down that's the biggest concern for me. I think our bullpen is good enough. Even elite pens suffer in a 7 game series after seeing them over and over.
lunchbox
tjack16
AG
lunchbox said:

This makes too much sense to be put into place by MLB
Mathguy64
AG
Quarantine two teams for an undetermined length of time? That's 2 weeks according to everything we have been told in the real world.

So that is two weeks of games for 2 teams. And they are making those up how?
Ag_07
AG
I don't think all of them will be made up. They would just make up to postponed PHI v FLA games.
lunchbox
tjack16
AG
lunchbox said:

"Tanking for Trevor Lawrence" - NFL fans
Mathguy64
AG
So that wipes out 4 against Baltimore, 3 against Washington and as many as 3 more against Philly. So Washington and Philly lose out on games they would figure to win, thus affecting their win%. And Philly has missed some now against NYY That compromises win% as a secondary tool for determining playoffs. If either team is in or out by those number of games you now have to play them. Making those up means extending the regular season another week when no one is playing and giving everyone else a chance to reset their pitching roster.

They have a problem. Wait until a second team gets hit.

I know they didn't like the AZ schedule at the spring training sites, partially because they hoped to have fans at some point, but it's looking more and more like all the travel and non bubble system isn't a good idea.
tjack16
AG
Has anybody gotten an email confirmation on their cutout? They said they'd send them but I never got one
amercer
AG
Teams with more than 10% positive should just forfeit those games until they are cleared.
k20dub
AG
amercer said:

Teams with more than 10% positive should just forfeit those games until they are cleared.
Would you feel this way if this happens to the Astros?
gigemJTH12
AG
maybe just stop testing and....wait for it....they will all live.
mwm
That's a "false positive".
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16
AG
Isn't he like 45?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Quote:

Rodney is expected to report to the Astros alternative training site in Corpus Christi. The team must clear a spot on its 40-man roster before he can join the Major League club.

Biagini can spend more time with his puppies.
Mathguy64
AG
So now we have to all like the sideways hat?
bullard21k
AG
That guy is a walking gas can.

Dan Micelli premium grade gasoline
First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.