****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,602,890 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's gotta some combination of Garcia, James, Javier, Raley, Scrub, Taylor, & Pressly.

Wild guess that the reason De Jong made the roster for this series over some seemingly more qualified candidates (like Perez and Bielak) is because there's something about his stuff that we like against the Rays.

I won't be surprised if he factors in tonight.
Ag_07
AG
I think you've got to go with who you think has the best chance top get you 2-3 IP then piece it together as you go from there.
Deluxe
AG
What if we do what the A's did back in August and strategically fake a positive covid test?
Mathguy64
AG
Let's be honest. TB is in the same place with pitching. They will have to piece it together as well. And if they play a close game and run out the A teamers and lose it put them in a tough spot the next game. They have games in hand and may be more willing to not blow their pen.

Today is a crapshoot for both teams.
BCSGrubber
AG
Who has the calmest nerves to get out there in the first inning and not light the mound on fire?

De Jong - Nope
James - Nope
Sneed - Nope
Taylor - Maybe
Javier - Maybe
Scrub - Maybe
Raley - Maybe
Garcia - Unknown

MosesHallRAB04
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Let's be honest. TB is in the same place with pitching. They will have to piece it together as well. And if they play a close game and run out the A teamers and lose it put them in a tough spot the next game. They have games in hand and may be more willing to not blow their pen.

Today is a crapshoot for both teams.

But the rays pen options are better and more numerous. It's not really close. But the stros can hit heat
CFTXAG10
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Who has the calmest nerves to get out there in the first inning and not light the mound on fire?

De Jong - Nope
James - Nope
Sneed - Nope
Taylor - Maybe
Javier - Maybe
Scrub - Maybe
Raley - Maybe
Garcia - Unknown

Maybe go with the unknown in Garcia on a quick hook if necessary, then work your way back.
Marvin
AG
BCSGrubber said:

De Jong - Nope
James - Nope
Sneed - Nope
Taylor - Maybe
Javier - Maybe
Scrub - Maybe
Raley - Maybe
Garcia - Unknown

By that metric, I'd likely go with Javier if he can bounce even back for an inning. Raley would be after that. Get through 3 innings still in the game and hold on to your butts with James and Garcia through the middle.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I think I lean Garcia. They have almost no tape on him. Hope he goes 4-5 but if he falters then throw darts blindfolded
Deluxe
AG
Yep. Gotta find the right balance between riding hot hands and quick hooking guys who don't have it. Dusty's discretion in that regard could make or break our season.
Frok
AG
Deluxe said:

What if we do what the A's did back in August and strategically fake a positive covid test?

That is a genius idea. If accused of faking then you just ask why they want people to die.

CFTXAG10
AG
Deluxe said:

Yep. Gotta find the right balance between riding hot hands and quick hooking guys who don't have it. Dusty's discretion in that regard could make or break our season.
Yea, I loved seeing him bring over Maldy to ask his opinion too. Who knows better than the guy calling the shots behind the dish?

I almost wish we could have gotten Javier as a starter today, but he was clearly needed and a big part of why we won yesterday. Hell, I had way more confidence in him than Pressly.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

Knowing our bad luck this series they would do the logical thing and say "well you have a taxi squad for this purpose... game goes as scheduled"
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Is Javier available today?

He has to be.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Quote:

Hell, I had way more confidence in him than Pressly.

That's the truth. Pressly lost his mojo when he hurt his knee. We need Austin Powers to teach him that's it's still in there somewhere.
Beat40
I would think Paredes is a available for an inning if need be.
Beat40
If James does get in this game, it needs to be for an inning only. Trying to stretch him two innings has backfired on us every time this season.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

Knowing our bad luck this series they would do the logical thing and say "well you have a taxi squad for this purpose... game goes as scheduled"

The sports media would love if this happened. Guaranteed they'd find a way to tie Taubman into the story somehow.

"The Astros have always shown a lack of respect to the written rules, battered women, and now science."
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I can't believe I'm saying this, and I'm mad that I have to...

But I'd go some combo of James/Garcia with epically quick hooks, and hope you somehow get 5 out of them. Any extra is gravy.

If they get through 5-7 innings I'm coming back with Javier, Paredes, and Pressly.

Now, if James/Garcia both run into trouble early... I'm coming in with Framber and riding him until he can't go anymore. This is an elimination game and he has to be "available" to some extent.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

If James does get in this game, it needs to be for an inning only. Trying to stretch him two innings has backfired on us every time this season.

Except when it worked out great like 2 days ago.
CFTXAG10
AG
On the other side I am wondering what Kevin Cash will do today. Bullpen game? And if so, do you spoil your best arms. A lot of risk in that moving forward if you lose.

Should be a lot of this going on today:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Boys, it's a great day for Astros playoff baseball!

October 15, 2005: Houston grabs a 2-1 lead in the N.L.C.S. with a 4-3 triumph over St. Louis. Mike Lamb doubles and homers to key a pair of two-run rallies while Roger Clemens, Chad Qualls and Brad Lidge hold the Redbirds to seven hits. Craig Biggio adds a pair of hits.

October 15, 2019: Gerrit Cole tosses seven innings of shutout ball to grab Game 3 of the A.L.C.S. in the Bronx to take a 2-1 series lead. Jose Altuve and Josh Reddick strike early homers off Luis Severino in the 4-1 victory. The two teams were a combined 0-for-14 with runners in scoring position.

agproducer
AG
I think you go with Garcia. The lack of tape and lack of knowledge by the Rays on seeing his stuff could be a difference.

Maybe he'll surprise us with a performance like Urquidy last year.

Give the kid a shot. He's better than the options of James or DeJong.

Check out his fangraph:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/luis-garcia/23735/stats#batted-ball
BMX Bandit
Josh Fleming is my guess for TB
Mathguy64
AG
I start James with Garcia already warm in the pen. See if James gets through 1 unscathed or not. If he gets through without trouble I let him start the 2nd and keep Garcia warm and ready to come in on 1 batter's notice. If you get 2 out of James you do it again in the 3rd. After 3 or into the second time seeing the lineup he's out either way. Once Garcia comes in I get Raley up and do it all over. My objective is to use those 3 guys and get through 6 with a tie or a lead. That's a win for me. Now you take your chances with Taylor, Scrubb, Paredes, Extra innings is devastating but thats true for both clubs.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. Sometimes you gotta post fatties and roll the dice.
07ag
AG
i'd go raley to open, garcia as bulk and wing it after that
astros4545
AG
07ag said:

i'd go raley to open, garcia as bulk and wing it after that
Raley to open if you thought they would have Meadows and Lowe both batting in the top 3 slots?

I am excited to see Garcia pitch, he was fun in his two extended outings this year
gigemJTH12
AG
prediction:

we score 8 runs tonight.
astros4545
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So I wasn't able to follow along on my phone last night but it seems like it got a little weird....in a very big way. Cant say I'm too disappointed in missing that...and really glad I skipped through the pages at work and didn't scroll
07ag
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

So I wasn't able to follow along on my phone last night but it seems like it got a little weird....in a very big way. Cant say I'm too disappointed in missing that...and really glad I skipped through the pages at work and didn't scroll
BayAg_14
You haven't seen anything yet. Just wait till this afternoon.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
BayAg_14 said:

You haven't seen anything yet. Just wait till this afternoon.

Ill be watching on my phone so i wont be tracking the thread again.....I think this may be for the best, we won without me looking at TexAgs once during the game yesterday....and I dont need to throw up in public from fat chicks
Marvin
AG
Unrelated question... did Bearkat survive his heroic self-sacrifice?
First Page Last Page
Page 774 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.