****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,603,011 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kinda true but if you start James and he gives up 3-4 in he first inning we're fkd.

And just because Dusty says Framber isn't starting doesn't mean he won't come in after an opener gets 2 IP.

Is De Jong on the roster? We also have Raley and Cionel Perez. Let one of them open then let Framber go from the 3rd to the 6th. Then a combo of Scrubb, Taylor, and Paredes to finish it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I love my Astros, but Mickey Mantle hitting 18 HR, all in the World Series, in 65 games, is the sickest stat I've ever seen.

1960 WS - which the Yanks lost in 7 on Bill Maerowski's walkoff - Mantle hit .400/.545/.800 with 3 HR and 11 RBI

He played in World Series and had at least 1 HR in 9 of the series, at least 2 in 6 of the series, and 3 times he hit 3 in a series.
TRM
AG
De Jong's on the roster but not Perez.
Ag_07
AG
All I know is find a way to win tomorrow and they start to pucker up and it's a whole new series.

Can't win four in a row if you don't win the next one.
agproducer
AG
I'm going to need to buy more bourbon for tomorrow. Woodford Reserve is open tonight, and it is good.

Shout out to n_touch for the awesome Astros engraving on the Yeti low-ball.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

All I know is find a way to win tomorrow and they start to pucker up and it's a whole new series.

Can't win four in a row if you don't win the next one.

I just want to force a game 6. Don't care how we do it tomorrow. However, I would prefer a Dodger like performance in the first inning.
Farmer1906
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I love my Astros, but Mickey Mantle hitting 18 HR, all in the World Series, in 65 games, is the sickest stat I've ever seen.

1960 WS - which the Yanks lost in 7 on Bill Maerowski's walkoff - Mantle hit .400/.545/.800 with 3 HR and 11 RBI

He played in World Series and had at least 1 HR in 9 of the series, at least 2 in 6 of the series, and 3 times he hit 3 in a series.

It's impressive, sure, but back then all they played was the World Series.
SquirrellyDan
AG
If all the "advanced stats" find their level, we will win tomorrow. And the game after that. That's if baseball does baseball type things. If there's a chance tomorrow there's also a chance for the next day. All of that is to say.......please keep posting fatties
agdaddy04
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Haven't Altuve and Springer only played 60 games?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Wow
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Wow

I mean he's not wrong. He's had a criminally quick hook in more crucial situations than I can count.
agproducer
AG
Greinke totally dogged AJ. Wow.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
agproducer
AG
Analytics can only go so far. Sometimes you just gotta trust your guys.
Ag_07
AG
While Zach isn't wrong I wouldn't say it's a not for a lack of confidence but more of a numbers game.

Zach obviously isn't down with the statistics and analytics which is fine. It's not for everyone. But it's not completely for a lack of confidence in his abilities.

With that said that was most definitely a shot fired at AJ.
rak1693
AG
I really respect Dusty for leaving him in. If he gave up runs I probably would've cursed him through the tv but looking at it from afar, I don't trust anyone else in that type of situation.
AggiEE
rak1693 said:

I really respect Dusty for leaving him in. If he gave up runs I probably would've cursed him through the tv but looking at it from afar, I don't trust anyone else in that type of situation.

Well that's the problem, isn't it?

Do you trust ANY reliever to inherit 1 or 2 runners fresh in the game in a high leverage situation?

It seems like more often than not, that situation ends up backfiring. It takes a while for pitchers to learn the approach batters are taking and to feel comfortable on the mound. So while it's true that batters start seeing a pitcher more they will get more effective, but the opposite can be true as well and Greinke relies heavily on switching things up and confusing batters when they try and get comfortable.

Mistakes happen, but unless Greinke has completely blown up in the game, he's far better than your next available option out of the pen. You gotta give your veteran starter a chance to work out of a jam, this isn't his first time at the rodeo.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

It's impressive, sure, but back then all they played was the World Series.
Right, so all Mickey Mantle was seeing EVERY TIME were pitchers from the best team in the National League that he never got to see the entire rest of the year. And yes, they never saw him either, but Im pretty sure they saw the dude on TV a time or two.

No first-round series against the 84-78 wild card squad - every single time it was the best of the best in a far-less watered down talent pool - only 16 total teams in the MLB for most of his career, now there are 30.

If every team has roughly 10 pitchers, that's 300 pitchers in the bigs now vs. 160 when he played. Apples to oranges in terms of athletic talent, etc., but if you scraped the bottom 140 pitchers out of the league right now, hitting would be a lot weaker.
Big Al 1992
AG
But Mickey also wasn't dealing with set up men and closers coming in fresh - he was mostly seeing the same pitcher for multiple at bats. Would be interesting to see how many homers were in the later innings when starters were worn down. Still amazing feat.
Big Al 1992
AG
Altuve and Springer tied with Reggie Jackson for most October/postseason home runs is kind of crazy. What a run the Astros have had.
Panama Red
AG
Here's the stat I love:

Post season games played & HRs by middle infielders

Jeter: 158, 20
Altuve: 60, 18
Correa: 60, 16
tjack16
AG
Panama Red said:

Here's the stat I love:

Post season games played & HRs by middle infielders

Jeter: 158, 20
Altuve: 60, 18
Correa: 60, 16

It's wild that Altuve and Correa both have 5 years each of playoff experience and are still nowhere near Jeter in terms of games played. I hate the Yankees but that's impressive
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Be careful, ESPN keeps a list of anyone who has ever not worshipped Derek Jeter and will send a hit squad to kill you. Ditto Colin Kapenerick and Tim Tebow.
agdaddy04
AG
I'm not sure we'll ever see a better run for the Astros. The 4 guys of Altuve, Bregman, Correa, and Springer have been so special to watch as they blow through historical records.
Frok
AG
That would be pretty impressive if ESPN came after our Astros thread on Texags
agdaddy04
AG
Now it's time to be the 2nd team to come back from 0-3.
Farmer1906
AG
Today's game is the biggest concern. If we get to 6 and 7 we'll be able to throw Framber, McCullers, and Urquidy. Who do we rely on to get the first 18 outs today? Garcia? New pitcher ever 2 innings?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I truly have no idea what I'd do in this situation. Bullpen day scares the hell out of me. But I sure hope they get it done

A massive outburst in the 1st inning would sure be nice
BMX Bandit
Is Javier available today?
tjack16
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I'm not sure we'll ever see a better run for the Astros. The 4 guys of Altuve, Bregman, Correa, and Springer have been so special to watch as they blow through historical records.

Run isn't over yet. I see it going through 2024
Farmer1906
AG
It's gotta some combination of Garcia, James, Javier, Raley, Scrub, Taylor, & Pressly.
AustinCountyAg
As much as it scares me IMO you have to start Josh James and pray he has a playoff game like Urkeeding did last year in his debut.
gougler08
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

As much as it scares me IMO you have to start Josh James and pray he has a playoff game like Urkeeding did last year in his debut.
If we went this route, he better just walk Arozarena each time cause he'll demolish that flat James fastball
MosesHallRAB04
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

That is a truly terrifying thought.
First Page Last Page
Page 773 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.