****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,631,054 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correa pointed that out during his postgame interview.

He mentioned that although it's October it's the third month of the season and he said that's when they typically settle down and the bats get hot. He said what usually happens in June is happening in October.

I hope he's right. I have to remember to tell myself it's only 1 game but if he is correct and this offense is getting hot I may have to throw some down on the Astros at +800 to win it all.

I personally wasn't buying it and didn't think they could flip the switch after how poorly they had been playing, but that's a plate of crow I'll gladly scarf down if indeed things gave turned around.
Farmer1906
AG
Here is a good article on our bullpen from Fangraphs. Shockingly not one mention of bad guys, cheating, or any other nonsense.

Astros' Anonymous-Yet-Excellent Bullpen Helps Houston Take Game 1

redline248
AG
I will go on record with the opinion that zero batters step into the plate thinking about getting hit. Too much focus.
Farmer1906
AG
Speaking of the bullpen, I wonder if Dusty is comfortable using guys back to back days in a 5 game series with no off days.

Here are the # of pitches thrown:
McCullers - 75 (low enough to come back for Friday)
Javier - 25 (not an efficient inning - would guess not available today)
Parades - 21 (He was elite yesterday - would guess not available today)
Taylor - 10 (low - probably available today)
Pressly - 7 (low - probably available today)

I think ideally we ride Framber deep (7th, please!) then get 6 outs between James, Raley, &/or Pressly.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

He mentioned that although it's October it's the third month of the season and he said that's when they typically settle down and the bats get hot. He said what usually happens in June is happening in October.

I hope he's right. I have to remember to tell myself it's only 1 game but if he is correct and this offense is getting hot I may have to throw some down on the Astros at +800 to win it all.

I personally wasn't buying it and didn't think they could flip the switch after how poorly they had been playing, but that's a plate of crow I'll gladly scarf down if indeed things gave turned around.
Id personally rather you keep not buying it because that has seemed to work better lately....dont mess with a streak bud.

There is a reason im wearing the same shirt for the 4th game in a row today..ive aready gotten multiple questions at work and my only response is "YOU DONT MESS WITH A STREAK"
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
On a side note, id much rather the media be talking about any other reason for hitting better as opposed to trying to pull some BS about us cheating and that is why
scrimp
AG
Agreed. MLB hitters have taken tens of thousands of at-bats throughout their lifetimes. If they were worried about being plunked, they wouldn't have made it this far. The only "message" pitch this year was from Kelly, and the message was "I'm a hypocritical d*****bag".

I think the oddity of the season and the injuries contributed to the low batting averages this year for everyone on the Astros.
Deluxe
AG
Framber complete game shut piece today. Calling it.
EagleAg19
I'm curious what our guys response will be if/when they put Fiers in. Something tells me he'd throw at one of our guys early on just to rattle everyone
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
EagleAg19 said:

I'm curious what our guys response will be if/when they put Fiers in. Something tells me he'd throw at one of our guys early on just to rattle everyone
I do not think he has the balls to do it.

Our guy's reaction would be like a kid on Christmas morning.

He faced us 5x in 2019. Our guys had a 1.104 OPS in 107 plate appearances which is fairly high for a pitcher vs team match up in a year. That's 24 runs and 12 home runs!
Mathguy64
AG
I don't think Fiers makes an appearance. They had every chance to get him in during the regular season. Putting him in now with the extra stress of the playoffs and you don't know what you will get mentally from him or the added juice we may have.
Farmer1906
AG
They may get to the point where they have to.
bdgol07
AG
Ag_07 said:

I got it on Mybookie at +1500 this weekend. Saw the number and couldn't resist. Still a LOOOOOOOONG way to go but hell, that is a great number
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

Do not bet the future WS odds

Bet on the Astros to win each series, and then roll those winnings + initial bet onto the following series and continue through the WS

Your payout will be twice as much for just a little manual work
gigemJTH12
AG
when the haters and losers(of which there are many) ask me how I'm feeling about the game today

Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Ag_07 said:

Do not bet the future WS odds

Bet on the Astros to win each series, and then roll those winnings + initial bet onto the following series and continue through the WS

Your payout will be twice as much for just a little manual work
This
Mr.Bond
AG
Hey CC, you fat ass cry baby...... How's my ass taste?!?

-Correa
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

They may get to the point where they have to.
Yeah. No days off and burning relievers is a rough strategy to follow. They are in a no win situation with him and I dont feel sorry one bit.
BayAg_14
Big question remains do we table the Kate gifs since we won without Jetch posting them yesterday?
jetch17
AG
i was gonna take it easy or standby until directed today as needed, for sure.
iamtheglove
BCSGrubber said:

Quote:

Correa, who recently unlocked his 2015 swing with the help of Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron, seemingly set the tone by embracing the hate that encircles this team. It was obvious on Wednesday, after his Astros made quick work of the Minnesota Twins, when he lashed out with the one sentence that has evolved into a misguided rallying cry: "I know a lot of people don't wanna see us here, but what are they gonna say now?"
Interesting nugget I found in an ESPN article on Carlos embracing the hate.

Cintron for as much crap as he has taken has done a good job with helping to adjust the swings of Tucker and Correa.
ESPN yet again trying to stir the pot for profit by saying Correa "lashed out" and that his statement was "misguided". It was neither, ESPN. Good lord, lets be sure to characterize everything as heroic (Ie. anything Yankees) or villainous (ie. anything Astros) and cast it with a sanctimonious tone so that all who read it know how enlightened and all-knowing the author is. If Aaron Judge said that they would be slobbering about what a leader, and great teammate and humanitarian he was (in spite of he and his teammate participating in a never to be punished sign stealing scheme of their own). What a world we live in.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Beat40
Dan Shedd said:

For some reason I read that article. Tim Brown is a baby.
Marvin
AG
Beat40 said:

Dan Shedd said:

For some reason I read that article. Tim Brown is a baby.

Another "how dare they keep winning" tantrum. Tasty!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tim brown still pissed about getting his towel stolen at the cotton bowl that time.
redline248
AG
I know Framber and Javier have a lot to do with this, but it's still nice to see.

bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Big question remains do we table the Kate gifs since we won without Jetch posting them yesterday?

The good part about not using Jetch in g1 is that he's fresh and ready to go for g2 if we need him. He's had plenty of rest.
Farmer1906
AG
Kind of expected, but both should be good to go Wednesday.
spadilly
S
Seeing the Marlins/Braves play right now makes me homesick for MMP. Can't wait to get back there next season.
iamtheglove
On signing Correa and/or George, I continue to be optimistic about our ability to sign at least one of them, unless both are determined to exit at all costs. Here's why:

1. Our young starting pitching. It is a small sample size, but can't be overstated how valuable to have Framber, Urquidy, Javier and Paredes (who was a starter in the minors) performing so well and under team control for 5+ years. Gives us great financial optionality on how we address losing Greinke and Verlander and by extension funds available for Carlos and George.

2. Depressed free agent market in 2020-21. Yuli is a good example of the reduced dollars available to potential free agents. Could the open market numbers for George and Carlos be depressed by as much as 25%?

3. The scandal. Would either be welcomed in places with free spending ownership where there may be lingering bad blood such as LA, NYY, Boston and wherever Tyler Bower is pitching? Given similar money, it may be just enough incentive to tip in favor of remaining an Astro.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Kind of expected, but both should be good to go Wednesday.

Man, I'm just really hoping for the best cast scenario today, which would be 7 innings from Framber and a 6 or 7 run lead so we can use some other guys to close the game out.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
If JV is having surgery, already had, and going to miss next season is his contract set up in a way that we couldnt cut him like we did Sanchez....or is this a clue that we would be looking to resign him next year to another short contract?

I feel really positive about resigning George, I dont know why but I just have a feeling he is going to be a lifer. Carlos I would really like to see as well but not as pressing yet...Also think a big part to his contract is another ring before hand
Ag_07
AG
MLB contracts are guaranteed. JV is getting paid for next year whether he's on the roster or not.

The big question that I have yet to be seen mentioned anywhere is how much are getting from his insurance policy?

I assume they had a policy on JV in case something like this happened so I expect they're getting some kind of payout to alleviate his salary in 2021.
First Page Last Page
Page 612 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.