****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,293 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

We get Framber on the bump tomorrow?

Hopefully the young man can do his thing tomorrow and give us 7 strong innings.
Farmer1906
AG
I posted it earlier and I think this is what I remember, but the team who wins game 1 of the DS wins the series 72% of the time. We have to feel good needing 2 wins with Framber, Greinke, and Urquidy left. With using so much of our bullpen today, I wouldn't be mad if they stacked Framber/Urquidy to get a win tomorrow. That was we have Greinke to go for the series win Wednesday. We could start Javier Thursday if we had to. Lance Friday if they push 5 with Urqidy out of the pen again.
agproducer
AG
God, I missed this. Love talking Astros playoff baseball with you guys!
Mathguy64
AG
The trick to beating the Yankees is simple. Don't let them tee off.

And immediately after the slam, the Rays reliever dusts Urshela. Message for the earlier stuff with Chapman maybe.
Nino Brown
JABQ04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Here's my smoking hot take. He's going to surpass Jeter of the best postseason SS.

While that may happen, national media will remain silent.
And this is why so many guys end up with the Yanks. Imagine the media coverage and endorsements. Same logic as to why no cheating would have ever have been revealed in regards to the gays in pinstripes.
Mathguy64
AG
Up 6, T9 and the Yankees are stealing bases. I predict someone somewhere in pinstripes wears one in the series as payback.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Up 6, T9 and the Yankees are stealing bases. I predict someone somewhere in pinstripes wears one in the series as payback.

It would be smarter to do it now when it's meaningless.
EagleAg19
Anyone see that collision just now
n_touch
EagleAg19 said:

Anyone see that collision just now
Stop watching after the collision of the ball and Stanton's bat
agdaddy04
AG
Yea that was pretty embarrassing. Feel bad for the dude as I think they said AA was the highest he's pitched at before
agproducer
AG
Back to the Astros game - Harold Reynolds made a good point on MLB Network. He said the Astros are likely more confident at the plate in the playoffs because there is no real risk of anyone throwing at them. So, they can stick to their game plan and have good ABs. That's why they can cover both sides of the plate without to much concern they may get one in the ribs or coconut.
scrimp
AG
That seems unlikely... Besides Joe Kelly (of the 2018 Red Sox, also accused of cheating during their world series run) no one has intentionally gone after anyone this season. MLB handled that pretty quickly.
EagleAg19
Didn't Yuli get hit and Altuve nearly get plunked today? I mean, I guess we're lucky guys aren't intentionally going after us as if that's some sort of favor.
ClickClack
AG
agproducer said:

Back to the Astros game - Harold Reynolds made a good point on MLB Network. He said the Astros are likely more confident at the plate in the playoffs because there is no real risk of anyone throwing at them. So, they can stick to their game plan and have good ABs. That's why they can cover both sides of the plate without to much concern they may get one in the ribs or coconut.

They REALLY are stuck on this story line. It never was real to nearly the extent they wanted it to be. This idea that we're less scared at the plate of getting hit by pitch bc it's the playoffs, and therefore hitting better, is one of the dumbest theories I've ever heard.

If anything, I think we could see more tension than the regular season if we play the Yankees or dodgers in the playoffs this year. Say we're up a lot, they're frustrated. Saw it after the grand slam in the Yankees game tonight.
Bregxit
AG
ClickClack said:

agproducer said:

They REALLY are stuck on this story line. It never was real to nearly the extent they wanted it to be. This idea that we're less scared at the plate of getting hit by pitch bc it's the playoffs, and therefore hitting better, is one of the dumbest theories I've ever heard.

If anything, I think we could see more tension than the regular season if we play the Yankees or dodgers in the playoffs this year. Say we're up a lot, they're frustrated. Saw it after the grand slam in the Yankees game tonight.
Yeah the continuation of the story is getting silly now that a few media types have acknowledged that a lot of stars had craptastic seasons at the plate. I think it is more due to just being a messed up year where none of them could get comfortable at all. Crazy protocols, weird road trips, no fans, etc. Seems a poor environment to focus on baseball. Now that it is the playoffs there is a reason to be excited.
Big Al 1992
AG
October Carlos is best Carlos!

Frok
AG
Maybe our sign stealing cameras are still in place from the 2017 World Series at Dodger Stadium
Big Al 1992
AG
Great article and some good videos in the article. Richard Justice is a good Astro fan.
Big Al 1992
AG
Love this.

"Did we mention that Correa added a run-scoring single in the ninth inning and that he made every play at shortstop? That he ignited a couple of joyous dugout celebrations? That for one October afternoon, the Astros looked exactly like the team that has been to the World Series twice in the past three seasons?"
tjack16
AG
I am more than okay with giving Correa the big extension. He is so money in the playoffs, and we had him in his prime for another five years at least

In the end, you are paying players for what they can do for you in October. Regular season stats are great and all But We need guys will win championships for us and he is definitely one of them
BCSGrubber
AG
Quote:

Correa, who recently unlocked his 2015 swing with the help of Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron, seemingly set the tone by embracing the hate that encircles this team. It was obvious on Wednesday, after his Astros made quick work of the Minnesota Twins, when he lashed out with the one sentence that has evolved into a misguided rallying cry: "I know a lot of people don't wanna see us here, but what are they gonna say now?"
Interesting nugget I found in an ESPN article on Carlos embracing the hate.

Cintron for as much crap as he has taken has done a good job with helping to adjust the swings of Tucker and Correa.
cc10106
Would be nice to lock him up, but I doubt that he won't test the free agent market when the time comes.
Ag_07
AG
Increased offense has nothing to do with no longer thinking about being hit. They were never being hit. That's a narrative pushed by the idiot ass national media.

I think I has to do with a combination of three things

Playoff experience
Relaxation from being in the bubble with their families and getting a sense of normalcy on the road
Realization that this is their last hoorah. Reddick alluded to it last week but I think they're realizing not all will be returning and this is their last chance to make a run with this group.
agproducer
AG
scrimp said:

That seems unlikely... Besides Joe Kelly (of the 2018 Red Sox, also accused of cheating during their world series run) no one has intentionally gone after anyone this season. MLB handled that pretty quickly.
They presented it through the lens that the batters getting hit in KC in a June may have put the concern of being hit, in the back of their minds, and that may have put them off balance.

I bet it has played into the struggles some, but I don't think that's the real reason they struggled.

As far as the media narrative, MLB Network, with the exception of a few former players, have been very fair about the Astros.

I'm ready for the game today.

EagleAg19
BCSGrubber said:

Quote:

Correa, who recently unlocked his 2015 swing with the help of Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron, seemingly set the tone by embracing the hate that encircles this team. It was obvious on Wednesday, after his Astros made quick work of the Minnesota Twins, when he lashed out with the one sentence that has evolved into a misguided rallying cry: "I know a lot of people don't wanna see us here, but what are they gonna say now?"
Interesting nugget I found in an ESPN article on Carlos embracing the hate.

Cintron for as much crap as he has taken has done a good job with helping to adjust the swings of Tucker and Correa.
Can he reverse what he did to Altuve?
bearkatag15
AG

Hey CC, how about you STFU
Mathguy64
AG
I'm shocked anyone could understand a word CC was saying. That donut in his mouth makes it impossible to understand what he's saying even on the best of days.
tailgatetimer10
AG
This is awesome. Super excited for another work-day game.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
agproducer said:

Harold Reynolds knows all about playoff baseball with his 0 career post-season appearances.
expresswrittenconsent
You're saying harold has more career firings for dick pics than career playoff appearances?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tjack16 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Top 6 hitters went a combined 14-for-28 with 8 runs scored and 9 RBI.
.500 BA, .857 SLG
but .... but.... I thought we couldn't hit without the trashcans
Nobody can hit with trashcans, they used bats.
Marvin
AG
The plan is to have 10k fans for LCS games and the WS, right? I suspect it will be a brutal crowd in Arlington if the Astros make it. 10x that if the Yankees advance, but even if it's the Rays there will be pouty-faced fans from all over picking up seats just for the chance to boo the team. If the Dodgers advance to the WS against the Astros, it will be 20x. Can we hope for a Rays LCS and then the Marlins for the trophy?!

Long as the Astros are there, I don't think anyone- including the players- will care. But, it will be entertaining to watch the hysteria that ensues.

Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Increased offense has nothing to do with no longer thinking about being hit. They were never being hit. That's a narrative pushed by the idiot ass national media.

Playoff experience
Relaxation from being in the bubble with their families and getting a sense of normalcy on the road
Realization that this is their last hoorah. Reddick alluded to it last week but I think they're realizing not all will be returning and this is their last chance to make a run with this group.
I think all those things are factors but also think it's also just law of sample size. We're too good to hit as lousy as we did during the regular season. The lid was bound to come off eventually.

We also had Bregman, Altuve, Springer and Brantley battle injuries this year. Makes it much harder to get in a rhythm. Bregman especially was starting to get in gear before his hamstring pull. Basically forced him to press the reset button on his season.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Playoff experience

I think the postseason experience is a big factor.

I agree being in a bubble where they can hang out with their families and themselves is relaxing them and a huge help.

I also think the media doesn't remember up until that angels series in the beginning September that we were leading the AL in runs/game without the top of the order having it going.
Deluxe
AG
Exactly. There's 50+ reasons why we didn't hit well this year. But if there's one thing I know about national media (in all subjects), it's that they are lazy AF and just run with narratives that they know will get clicks.
First Page Last Page
Page 611 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.