****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,629,384 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Farmer1906 said:

Here is a big pick me to get us back on track

Oh wait that's just depressing.

He's gone. Every time you see something like this they are not planning on staying.

I promise you he will stay if we offer him the most money. It's just as much on us as it is in him.

I am against giving "older" guys long contracts. But I am pro George Springer. So this is tough.

I'll be selfish and hope the market is flat out terrible and we get George on the cheap (relative here, based on what he could have gotten in a pre Covid world).

I just have to say, I agree that I don't want to pay guys past their prime. BUT....there are people I'm willing to pay, and George Springer is the one.

Take our whole roster at the production they are right now But make them a contract year and 31, he and bregman might be the only ones I'd be willing to pay up for.
Farmer1906
AG
BMX Bandit said:

This is my shocked face.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Farmer1906 said:

Here is a big pick me to get us back on track

Oh wait that's just depressing.

He's gone. Every time you see something like this they are not planning on staying.

I promise you he will stay if we offer him the most money. It's just as much on us as it is in him.

I am against giving "older" guys long contracts. But I am pro George Springer. So this is tough.

I'll be selfish and hope the market is flat out terrible and we get George on the cheap (relative here, based on what he could have gotten in a pre Covid world).

I just have to say, I agree that I don't want to pay guys past their prime. BUT....there are people I'm willing to pay, and George Springer is the one.

Take our whole roster at the production they are right now But make them a contract year and 31, he and bregman might be the only ones I'd be willing to pay up for.

It's easy to say that in the moment. I love Springer. He's been my favorite Astros these last several years.

But are we sure 33-36 year old Springer isn't going to be a boat anchor on our squad?
Ag_07
AG
With working from home this is the first time I can say I don't mind afternoon playoff games.
Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

If they could MLB would play these games at 8 AM.
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

With working from home this is the first time I can say I don't mind afternoon playoff games.

I love afternoon playoff baseball
Ag_07
AG
The shltty market of MIN paired with the ho-hum under .500 Astros and I'm not sure we have a gripe this year for getting the early slots.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
For that guy, what he has given this team I do not care. I'll roll the dice

5x130 and lets roll
Ag_07
AG
I'd give George 5 years with plans on moving him to DH during the latter half of the contract.

Ideally you get 3 years of productive OFer George then 2 years of productive DH George.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
And where is Yordan those last 2-3 years? He isn't going anywhere in the next 5 years
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

For that guy, what he has given this team I do not care. I'll roll the dice

5x130 and lets roll

I love everyone one here but I'm sure as **** glad you're not the GM.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'd give George 5 years with plans on moving him to DH during the latter half of the contract.

Ideally you get 3 years of productive OFer George then 2 years of productive DH George.

Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

And where is Yordan those last 2-3 years? He isn't going anywhere in the next 5 years

Hard to DH from a wheelchair

I'm only 1/2 kidding

Honestly forgot about Yordan.
Farmer1906
AG
W
AG
it was a down year at the plate for both Correa and Lindor.

Correa's .709 OPS was the lowest of his career --- 124 points below his career OPS of 831.

Lindor's .750 OPS was likewise the lowest of his career --- 85 points below his career OPS of 835.

both of them lost their power. They will need to get it back in 2021 for the free agent market.

by comparison...Machado posted a .905 OPS in his 2018 contract year...and then got the mega-deal from the Padres in the offseason
Harry Dunne
Nuke LaLoosh said:

We are gonna get hot and win this bltch.
This season has been tough to watch and watching George and maybe Yuli ride off into the sunset is going to make it even harder, but the sweet butthurt tears from all of the haters would make it even better than 2017 if we could somehow pull this off.
Deluxe
AG
Some good memories in Minnesota through the years, like Memorial Day 2017 when we were down 8-2 in the 8th inning and came back to win 16-8:

(strange cover photo on that video)
AustinCountyAg
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

playing first base?
n_touch
AustinCountyAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

playing first base?
Icing his knees
Farmer1906
AG
Here is my mini write up on the Twins Offense:

Here is how the offense ranks in the American League.
2020 Season (Sept Only)
#3 in AVG (#5)
#9 in OBP (#5)
#6 in SLG (#1)
#8 in OPS (#2)
#8 in wOBA (#3)
#10 in K% (#10)
#3 in HR (#1)

They're not nearly the sluggers they were in 2019, but, lucky us, they finished very well.

I looked at was their line up and holy **** they never have the same line up twice. It constantly changes.
Maybe they play the hot hand? Maybe it's purely on match-ups?

It should look something like this:
Kepler RF .774 OPS, 111 OPS+
Donaldson 3B .842 OPS, 131 OPS+
Cruz DH 1.004 OPS, 173 OPS+
Rosario LF .805 OPS, 118 OPS+
Sano 1B .762 OPS, 105 OPS+
Polanco SS .670 OPS, 85 OPS+
Buxton CF .844 OPS, 124 OPS+
Gonzales 2B .602 OPS, 66 OPS+
Jeffers C .791 OPS, 118 OPS+

A few notes:
  • Not too dissimilar from Altuve, Graver fell off a cliff this year (.498 OPS 2020 - .995 OPS 2019)
  • Buxton was at the top of the line up for most of the early part of the year when he was not good. He had a .681 OPS in the first 21 games but got moved down and has been red hot in Sept with a 1.022 OPS.
  • Nelson Cruz is aging like a fine wine. He's probably having a top 5 season for a 39+-year-old over the last 50 years.
  • Somehow the Twins have fewer steals than us. Shouldn't have to worry too much about them turning a single into a double with a swipe.
  • Their home/road split is fairly even. They actually hit better on the road.
  • There is a pretty significant difference vs LHP(.658)/RHP(.772 OPS). Hello, Framber starting game 2?

Overall, they have had a better offense than we do and have finished hotter than us, but it's not as big of a gap as you'd expect from the team who just hit 307 HRs last year to set the record.
Twins won the WS in 1991. Since then they've made the postseason just 9 times including 2020. Out of those 9 times, 8 ended in either the WC game or division series. Yankees sent them packing 6x.
Deluxe
AG
Good post
Ag_07
AG
Good info

Thanks for posting
W
AG
I'm going to break out the old sports cliche...

the Astros can beat the Twins if they want to.

half of the problems on the road this year were lack of energy, lack of interest, sleepwalking, no passion, and so forth. Just looked like they didn't want to be out there
Harry Dunne
The last Twins postseason victory was a 2-0 ALDS opener vs. the Yankees on October 5, 2004.

They went on to lose the next 3 straight...and their next 13 postseason games in a row, including getting swept in the ALDS by the Yankees last year...so 0-16 since. I didn't watch a minute of that ALDS, but I imagine that the 13 (and 14, and 15) game losing streak was a big topic and it gets to be a little bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

New year, new teams and IDK that it makes that much of a difference, but I'd rather be the guys that have won 26 playoff games over the last 3 seasons.
07ag
AG
So, in the end, only 2 regular season games didn't get played. and they would have been made up today if they had made a difference. pretty impressive, imo. lots of folks didn't think they'd come close to this
tjack16
AG
Anybody doing the bracket challenge on MLB.com ?
BMX Bandit
07ag said:

So, in the end, only 2 regular season games didn't get played. and they would have been made up today if they had made a difference. pretty impressive, imo. lots of folks didn't think they'd come close to this
yep. remember when people were posting the Cardinals should just end their season?
tjack16
AG
My prediction. With Dodgers winning WS in 6

Almost had the Rays going all the way but the Yankees offense has been pretty good recently, along with Cole being back to form.
Mathguy64
AG
ALDS1: TB v NYY, TB wins
ALDS2: A's v Twins, A's win

ALCS TB v A's, TB wins

NLCS1: LA v SD, SD wins
NLCS2 Cubs v Braves, Braves win

NLCS SD v Braves, SD wins

WS: TB v SD, SD wins. I said I thought they would win it when they smoked us. I'm sticking with them.
Farmer1906
AG
I am probably not going to have time to look into pitching like I wanted, but here is why Maeda is a legit ace now.

Kenta Maeda
1st 4 years (LAD): 3.87 ERA, 3.71 FIP, 1.151 WHIP very solid #3/4 type.
2020 (MIN): 2.70 ERA, 3.00 FIP, 0.750 WHIP Ace!

What changed? He started throwing his better pitches more often and his worse pitches less often. Shocking, I know!

Four Seamer (41.9% in 2018 to 19.4% in 2020)
Slider (29.9% in 2018 to 38.6% in 2020)
Change Up (14.8% in 2018 to 29.5% in 2020)

He started this process in 2019 and took it to the next level in 2020.

By throwing his Four Seamer less often its becomes more effective. Think of it as a reverse change up. 92 MPH looks a lot faster when you're used to seeing 78 and 83 almost 70% of the time.

He's throwing it in the zone less, getting more swings so his Ks are going up while getting worse contact and walker fewer guys. From my perspective, this isn't a 60 game season fluke. This is a real transformation. Greinke better be ready to duel.
redline248
AG
Uh...sure.
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Uh...sure.

A toddler could have managed this team into the postseason
redline248
AG
...and might have secured a few more wins.
Mathguy64
AG
A lot of people used to say anyone could have gotten 100 wins the last 3 years managing this team. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know one person who wouldn't have.

Item #37 (in no particular order) on the frustrating list of things that pissed me off this season. The Lizard.
First Page Last Page
Page 545 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.