****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,218 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tick tock.
tjack16
AG
I hope we make a move, but I won't be upset if we don't.

It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out for the Padres. They are giving up so much to go all in this year.
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

They are giving up so much to go all in this year.

Again...I don't get this statement.

Besides Rosenthal the guys they've got have multiple years of team control and will be back.

Sure they're rolling the dice giving up prospects but it's not a go all in for one year type approach. These moves will benefit them the next 2-3 years.

Those are the kind of moves you want to make. That we've made in the past. Moves that get you more than a rental but won't handcuff and eat up payroll for your team for years in the future.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

They are giving up so much to go all in this year.

Again...I don't get this statement.

Besides Rosenthal the guys they've got have multiple years of team control and will be back.

Sure they're rolling the dice giving up prospects but it's not a go all in for one year type approach. These moves will benefit them the next 2-3 years.

Those are the kind of moves you want to make. That we've made in the past. Moves that get you more than a rental but won't handcuff and eat up payroll for your team for years in the future.

If the Padres don't win a pennant in the next 2 years after all these moves, it won't be worth it. They've made good moves, but there is such thing as making too many moves.
Clevinger, Rosenthal and Nola IMO are the difference making deals. Those were the three moves I would have made. I would include Moreland but I think they have had enough offense with the addition of Nola to be a top team in the NL without that move. Castro was pointless when you could have worked out a way to keep Austin Hedges.

Giving up 7 of your top 20 prospects is tough for any team.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Would Eovaldi be of interest?
tjack16
AG
I'm really interested to see if Gallo gets moved.
bearkatag15
AG

This seems like a strange asking price for Gallo... if you are wanting to rebuild they should be targeting prospects. not current big leaguers
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This seems like a strange asking price for Gallo... if you are wanting to rebuild they should be targeting prospects. not current big leaguers
If I was the rangers I'd go outfield and pitching prospects. Then find a way to sneak Odor onto the plane with him as a "if you order now you also get______" deal

Ag_07
AG
True but that can be said for any team that makes trades. It's a gamble. It was said about us when we traded for JV and Grienke.

But they've given themselves an extended window beyond this year. It's not an all in for this year type deal.

At some point you have to make moves and take risks and if you're gonna do it then do it for players that have multiple years of control and are affordable. Don't blow your wad on rentals and avoid taking on huge contracts to old players that become dead weight.

With what they have and what they got they're on their way to being a really good team for a while. It's a good start.

And FWIW...Getting Castro gave them the depth and allowed them to move Hedges in the Clevinger deal.
bearkatag15
AG

another Arizona pitcher traded. Click better be on the phone with them trying to get Bradley
Marvin
AG
Time's running out. I'll be a bit disappointed if we don't at least add an effective (but not a big name) middle reliever.
dshedd41
S

bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe
AG
Dan Shedd said:

Good. Force them to makeup more games.
Ag_07
AG
Just a reminder to remember last year.

There's a delay and news and trades will trickle in after the actual deadline.
Deluxe
AG
Quick flashback to the 2019 trade deadline and Jomboy's reaction when we got Greinke.

Deluxe
AG
Yep, when the deadline hit last year, we all thought Sanchez and Biagini were our big gets.
Mathguy64
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Would Eovaldi be of interest?
I think he's hurt. I remember seeing his name on a banner/ticker the other day.
MaxPower
We don't have the same GM. We have a rookie GM so I'm skeptical he can get something done this late.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

Yep, when the deadline hit last year, we all thought Sanchez and Biagini were our big gets.

Sanchez was a nice get at the time... then his incredible first start.
What a bad trade in hindsight.
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

I'll be curious to see if we take a look at Sanchez this offseason for rotation depth. Guessing he'll be ready for the start of 2021 and he'll probably be fine with a team friendly one year deal to prove himself.

IMO that trade was worth it in hindsight. The writing was on the wall with DFish.
bearkatag15
AG

another reliever off the board...
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

I'll be curious to see if we take a look at Sanchez this offseason for rotation depth. Guessing he'll be ready for the start of 2021 and he'll probably be fine with a team friendly one year deal to prove himself.

IMO that trade was worth it in hindsight. The writing was on the wall with DFish.

I agree Fisher was done. But would have been nice to get a better return on him
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Fisher will always have a special place in my heart
Mathguy64
AG
This window is nuts There are a lot of teams who want in the playoffs because of he expansion and there are a bunch that are dumping like there is no tomorrow.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
So... nothin.
YNWA_AG
AG
greinke came like 15 minutes after
Mathguy64
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

So... nothin.
There was no realistic position player that would have improved this club and we get Bregman back.And on the pitching side we get Devo, Urquidy and possibly Peacock back. Trade them out for Biagini, Sneed and another bottom dweller. Plus we still may get a closer or 7th and 8th inning guy in JV
bearkatag15
AG

Well ****..
W
AG
wonder what Bumgarner is thinking. He signs with the D-Backs to be part of a 1-2 with Robbie Ray and some other nice pitchers...

now it's just him
bearkatag15
AG
How did the Rangers not trade Lynn... that is insanity
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So who all that we have left on the schedule has basically thrown in the towel? Do we have any games left against the DBacks?
Ag_07
AG
Eh...I'm not mad.

We don't have a lot of chips to begin with and I don't think there was anyone out there that was worth cashing them in on.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Maybe they said you have to take Odor with Lynn.
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I don't get either. Instead they trade Minor.

Lynn's value will never be higher and he does nothing for them.
First Page Last Page
Page 415 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.