****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,156 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blue Jays had an interesting goof last night. They send in a bad lineup card to MLB and accidentally left a pen arm off. With Covid there is no more exchange at home plate. You send the card in to MLB and theY send it to the crew. Supposedly they sent in a bad/old card and that differed from the one they had in the dugout. They had him warmed up in the 6th and were about to bring him in and the umps said "he's not on the card"
Mathguy64
AG
Detailed fangraphs article on a significant decline across MLB in starting pitching. We aren't alone in either injuries or starters struggling.
n_touch
Texaggie7nine said:

Im guessing it was Fiers who had a hidden cam set up to record this and out him?
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

Updated Deluxe young pitcher power rankings (limited to pitchers who have pitched in 2020 + Urquidy).

I've been trying to factor in 1) which guys have a chance to stay on the active roster as guys return from injuries, 2) which guys we might be comfortable handing the ball to in a playoff situation and 3) which guys figure to factor prominently into our 2021-22 staffs. But ultimately, these rankings are a somewhat arbitrary mix of proven + potential.

Playoff roster-able this year:
1. Christian Javier
2. Jose Urquidy
3. Blake Taylor
4. Framber Valdez

Work to do
5. Josh James - track record still buys him SOME benefit of doubt
6. Enoli Paredes - hope his sky high potential manifests itself by year end
7. Brandon Bielak - looks steady

Losing patience
8. Bryan Abreu - hope he's not becoming James part 2
9. Andre Scrubb - gotta cut down walks, 4.91 FIP high relative to 0.00 ERA
10. Cy Sneed - hasn't done much to warrant Dusty's trust in high lev situations

Probably first to go as guys come off IL
11. Humberto Castellanos
12. Nivaldo Rodriguez
13. Brandon Bailey
14. Carlos Sanabria

Bielak looked good. Not sure there's a playoff spot for him, but he can change that if he keeps pitching like he has.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
CFTXAG10
AG
Marvin
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Marvin said:

Maybe the baseball gods are exacting their pound of flesh for the blatant cheating.

Respectfully...if that is your opinion of the Astros, you can leave and feel free to follow someone else or a different sport

I want to address this with you guys. Maybe you don't care, but it bugged me so your choice to read or ignore.

My comment was a supposition, not a personal opinion. I know we live in a cancel culture... "shut up and go away if you don't think like we do." Well, the team did cheat, and the banging was pretty blatant. Also, if you are a bleeding baseball fan then I assume you believe in the concept of the baseball gods. It was a "damn, we're cursed in the pen right now" type of expression, and I linked the two together because, well, the baseball gods eventually get their justice. They'll get it with the other teams that cheated as well. Maybe the "blatant" word was too much for you, and I get it if so. I could have easily said that maybe we're paying the piper for past deeds. Maybe I could have said nothing at all. No problems. It was meant as a commiserating thought, not as an abrasive one, but I'll catch myself next time. I enjoy this board tremendously and don't want to trash it up with anything I post.

All right, feelings time is over. I was sitting in the Dome watching the Astros before a lot of you came squirting out of your dad's crackerjacks. I'm here for the haul. Let 's go bang some drums in Oakland.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

cpsencik04 said:

Marvin said:

Maybe the baseball gods are exacting their pound of flesh for the blatant cheating.

Respectfully...if that is your opinion of the Astros, you can leave and feel free to follow someone else or a different sport

I want to address this with you guys. Maybe you don't care, but it bugged me so your choice to read or ignore.

My comment was a supposition, not a personal opinion. I know we live in a cancel culture... "shut up and go away if you don't think like we do." Well, the team did cheat, and the banging was pretty blatant. Also, if you are a bleeding baseball fan then I assume you believe in the concept of the baseball gods. It was a "damn, we're cursed in the pen right now" type of expression, and I linked the two together because, well, the baseball gods eventually get their justice. They'll get it with the other teams that cheated as well. Maybe the "blatant" word was too much for you, and I get it if so. I could have easily said that maybe we're paying the piper for past deeds. Maybe I could have said nothing at all. No problems. It was meant as a commiserating thought, not as an abrasive one, but I'll catch myself next time. I enjoy this board tremendously and don't want to trash it up with anything I post.

All right, feelings time is over. I was sitting in the Dome watching the Astros before a lot of you came squirting out of your dad's crackerjacks. I'm here for the haul. Let 's go bang some drums in Oakland.

Don't take what cpsencik said too seriously. You're a vet on these threads.

To address the baseball gods comments, Karma aint real. Bad people do bad things all the time and never pay for it. Good people do good things and get crushed with terrible things in life.

What we are seeing now is just a bit of paying for giving up so many prospects, the aging of a team (fewer and fewer cheap pieces), and the impact of a shortened season.

We've done quite a few deals where we've sent prospects out (Greinke, Cole, Sanchez, Osuna, etc) and now we're dealing with a very young crop of pitchers coming up. Add in JV, Greinke, Altuve, Springer (1 year) and Bregman are getting paid like All Stars that they are we had to make decisions on guys like Harris or lose the opportunity to sign new guys. Injuries (and opt outs) are hitting everyone fairly hard. Its not quite evenly distributed, but I think all signs point to the way summer camp was handled. Arms just aint as prepared for this season.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

I was sitting in the Dome watching the Astros before a lot of you came squirting out of your dad's crackerjacks.
That's fantastic.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
Frok said:

I'm ready for some Yordan. He should be getting close right?
similar to 2019...it feels like the team is waiting to be rescued by Yordan again
W
AG
perhaps a cautionary tale...

the NL reigning ROY...Pete Alonso.

last year he had 85 x-base hits (including 53 home runs) in 161 games.

so far in 2020...1 x-base hit in 13 games (one home run)...and 20 strike outs.

he's a hardcore one-true-outcome guy...and it's not working for him in year 2
lunchbox
W
AG
yeesh, Cardinals still stuck on 5 games played.

while division mates, the Reds and Pirates, will play their 14th games tonight.

redbirds falling way, way behind
HossAg
AG
Season's gonna get cancelled.
Texaggie7nine
Worse things have happened
7nine
astros4545
AG
HossAg said:

Season's gonna get cancelled.
they can still get in 50 games
Ag_07
AG
Heard Dusty's comment on Yordan yesterday about the Calvary is far away.

Just before that he said 'Well he's running which is good news for his knees'.

Speculating but adding it all up I think he's got a knee issue.
Panama Red
AG
He's had a knee issue for sometime.
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
He doesn't need to run. Just mash!
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG

Rob Lowe on today's JRE rocking and Astros hat
Farmer1906
AG
Astros or Asterisks? He's a Dodger fan.
bearkatag15
AG
Definitely not an Astros hat. Its an Asterisk hat. He's worn it a lot. He's a big Dodgers fan.

Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Definitely not an Astros hat. Its an Asterisk hat. He's worn it a lot. He's a big Dodgers fan.

O well **** this guy then
Johnsy3
AG
LOL at someone wearing a hat that looks almost exactly like their team's rival
tjack16
AG
Rob Lowe and Trevor Bauer are meant for each other
W
AG
what's so pathetic about the Dodgers and their fans...

LAD has won the West division 7 years-in-a-row.

why don't they whine and complain about their playoff failures in the other 6 seasons?
Mathguy64
AG
Or the one that Boston stole from them for cheating?
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

cpsencik04 said:

Marvin said:

Great post, I've had some of the same thoughts.

Baseball gods aside, you can't lose the best two pitchers in baseball and trade away nearly your entire farm system for postseason runs and stay at the same level no matter who you are.

With this offense we can win enough to make the postseason (especially this year), and we will surely be better when fully healthy, but without JV you can go ahead and stick a fork in us as far as a title goes.
Farmer1906
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

This got me thinking. Bregman is Jewish, right? He's about to go on a tear
Farmer1906
AG
Lead off TED is back!

bearkatag15
AG
Dusty obviously isn't aware of Tucker blowing ass vs RHP and destroying LHP
JABQ04
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So the Oakland Aryans?
agdaddy04
AG
Is this Brantley's first game back?
First Page Last Page
Page 213 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.