****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,544 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

What is the deepest a starter has gone this year for the astros? I can't remember one past the 6th inning unless JV did opening night
JV only went 6 opening night. I think thats the longest
Marvin
AG
Ok boys, shake it off and go knock the Athletics down a peg. A win streak cures all ills.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Shove it and pound sand
bearkatag15
AG

Outside of Cole, the Yankees starting pitching has been trash as well. They have a much better bullpen though.
AggiEE
Gap said:

Is this a playoff team with the pitching staff we are putting out there?

I honestly don't think so, at least not a team that will make it out of the ALDS

Our hitting this season should be great but subtract Osuna and Cole and we are a much weaker team.

Our young pitchers will need to step it up massively if we want to compete. The lack of progress with James is a huge disappointment

dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Marvin
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Shove it and pound sand

Come again?
bearkatag15
AG
And if we sweep Oakland we are the top of the AL West again.... tonight's game sucks but I don't think it'll matter as much as people think.
Beat40
Not getting Pressly some game action in some of those blowouts I think came back to haunt us a little bit.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Marvin said:

Maybe the baseball gods are exacting their pound of flesh for the blatant cheating.

Respectfully...if that is your opinion of the Astros, you can leave and feel free to follow someone else or a different sport
Agmaniacmike12
As annoying as this season has been, the bright side is definitely watching all of the new faces. It is nice to see some of these young guys stepping up in lieu of all these injuries to the established vets.
Marvin
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Marvin said:

Maybe the baseball gods are exacting their pound of flesh for the blatant cheating.

Respectfully...if that is your opinion of the Astros, you can leave and feel free to follow someone else or a different sport

No worries, Ag, lets go bang some drums in Oakland. .
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
So uh... it's been a couple weeks. What's the word on JV? Urquidy?
bearkatag15
AG
I haven't watched an A's home game yet but it would be pretty hilarious if they had the drums piped in all game none stop
bearkatag15
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

So uh... it's been a couple weeks. What's the word on JV? Urquidy?
No word on JV. Urquidy started throwing off the mound today or yesterday. Still a few weeks out.
Ags #1
AG
Are they really the reason we have lost the games we did? Sneed has lost most of them and if not the pen it was the bats not hitting in extra innings? And if not Presley in the 9th then who tonight?
W
AG
AggiEE said:

Gap said:

Is this a playoff team with the pitching staff we are putting out there?

I honestly don't think so, at least not a team that will make it out of the ALDS

Our hitting this season should be great but subtract Osuna and Cole and we are a much weaker team.

Our young pitchers will need to step it up massively if we want to compete. The lack of progress with James is a huge disappointment

one thing for sure about the opening best-of-3...

when you have a shaky bullpen you definitely want to be the home team, so you at least have a chance when the bullpen collapses.

case in point today's game. When you're the road team...it's game over
Frok
AG
I'm ready for some Yordan. He should be getting close right?
astros4545
AG
I'd say 10 days best case
bearkatag15
AG
Frok said:

I'm ready for some Yordan. He should be getting close right?
"The cavalry's a ways off," - Dusty Baker yesterday regarding Urquidy and Yordan
bearkatag15
AG
astros4545 said:

Just like everything else in 2020, we are 2 weeks away from everything
bearkatag15
AG
Austin Pruitt moved to 60-day IL. Clears a spot on the 40 man roster for Click to sign Bud Norris
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

astros4545 said:

Just like everything else in 2020, we are 2 weeks away from everything

I'm beginning to wonder if Yordan had a more serious bout with the virus. Hard to imagine he would still be a ways away if asymptomatic or just a mild case. I haven't seen any pics, maybe he's one of those people that lost 20 pounds while sick.

Regarding Urquidy, hopefully they bring him along slowly and target the latter part of the schedule for a return. I lean with the "just hang on to 2nd place and get healthy" crowd.
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Austin Pruitt moved to 60-day IL. Clears a spot on the 40 man roster for Click to sign Bud Norris
Meh, was kind of hoping for a Brandon Backe reunion
Deluxe
AG
Updated Deluxe young pitcher power rankings (limited to pitchers who have pitched in 2020 + Urquidy).

I've been trying to factor in 1) which guys have a chance to stay on the active roster as guys return from injuries, 2) which guys we might be comfortable handing the ball to in a playoff situation and 3) which guys figure to factor prominently into our 2021-22 staffs. But ultimately, these rankings are a somewhat arbitrary mix of proven + potential.

Playoff roster-able this year:
1. Christian Javier
2. Jose Urquidy
3. Blake Taylor
4. Framber Valdez

Work to do
5. Josh James - track record still buys him SOME benefit of doubt
6. Enoli Paredes - hope his sky high potential manifests itself by year end
7. Brandon Bielak - looks steady

Losing patience
8. Bryan Abreu - hope he's not becoming James part 2
9. Andre Scrubb - gotta cut down walks, 4.91 FIP high relative to 0.00 ERA
10. Cy Sneed - hasn't done much to warrant Dusty's trust in high lev situations

Probably first to go as guys come off IL
11. Humberto Castellanos
12. Nivaldo Rodriguez
13. Brandon Bailey
14. Carlos Sanabria
Farmer1906
AG
Scrubb's issue isn't that he hasn't been striking guys out and has walked a few, but he's getting such weak contact that it's worked out fine.
Ag12thman
AG
Hoping we can right the ship and take the A's series.
bearkatag15
AG
My playoff pitching roster looks like this:

JV (fingers crossed)
Greinke
LMJ
Urquidy
Javier

Pressly
Peacock
Devo
Framber Valdez (move to starter if no JV)
Josh James
Fernando Rodney?
Blake Taylor
Brandon Bielak
Andre Scrubb
Texaggie7nine

7nine
Mathguy64
AG
Ok Rob Manfred. You are on the clock.
Farmer1906
AG
You can probably remove Abreu for 2020 or at least move him down a tier. He came in and looked out of shape. His velo was down. Spin down. Couldn't find the zone.
Ag_07
AG
So last night we weren't a playoff team, blow it up, cancel the season and today we're posturing on our playoff roster.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Scrubb's issue isn't that he hasn't been striking guys out and has walked a few, but he's getting such weak contact that it's worked out fine.
Fair point. I'd agree with swapping Scrubb and Abreu with 2020 in mind. If we subjectively factor in future potential, I'd probably still slot Abreu ahead of Scrubb.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

So last night we weren't a playoff team, blow it up, cancel the season and today we're posturing on our playoff roster.
At this point, I'm honestly more interested in the development of our pitching staff than early season game by game outcomes. If the pitching staff develops, the W-L record will take care of itself. If it doesn't, then it's probably just not our year.
Farmer1906
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 212 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.