****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,648,333 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

Y'all laugh at the "must win games" posts.

And I will continue to.

Yes these are games you expect to win and should win but not must win.
Gap
AG
Is this a playoff team with the pitching staff we are putting out there?
Aggie95
AG
just a meh organization right now...not a whole lot to be excited about. Old and average at way too many spots.
Marvin
AG
Arguably the worst pen in baseball at the moment. I'd like to say that it's a long season and we'll see it come around... but who knows.

Maybe the baseball gods are exacting their pound of flesh for the blatant cheating.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Y'all laugh at the "must win games" posts.

And I will continue to.

Yes these are games you expect to win and should win but not must win.

Well if we keep losing these types of games .... then we are in trouble.
Ag12thman
AG
TXAG14 said:

Bullpen is going to bury the Astor's season.

Yep. If you can't pitch, you can't win.

Cole gone.
Verlander hurt.
McHugh gone.
McCullers not what he once was.
Devo hurt.
Pressly looks worse than he ever has.

Add to it that Springer is now hurt.

Looking like a very tough year, especially with no room to climb out of a hole, and we seem to be falling into one.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Aggie8587 said:

Injuries have decimated the Astros this year. May finally be Oakland's year to take the division, and then we take it back next year in a season that actually matters

At least home field doesn't really matter this year. Hopefully they can get healthy and see what happens in the expanded playoffs.
agproducer
AG
Typical August swoon?
Farmer1906
AG
I'm pissed we lost too, but yall have lost your damn mind. I'm going to have to quote a few of yall when we win the division again.
Ag_07
AG
We're what 3 GB with 48 to play?

Yeah...I'm not freaking out just quite yet.
agproducer
AG
All the Astros need to do is make the playoffs and get healthy. We all know the playoffs are a crap shoot. LFG!!!!
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'm pissed we lost too, but yall have lost your damn mind. I'm going to have to quote a few of yall when we win the division again.

I still think we win the division. Or at least be comfortably in 2nd and the playoffs. But we can still be critical of things. Dusty Baker is not my favorite at the moment

But Altuve and Bregman getting it going is promising. We'll see what happens with George and his wrist.
Ags #1
AG
Wtf is this bullpen talk bs???? These scrubs are pitching beyond themselves right now. May be our downfall eventually but right now its not the achilles heal
tjack16
AG
Ags #1 said:

Wtf is this bullpen talk bs???? These scrubs are pitching beyond themselves right now. May be our downfall eventually but right now its not the achilles heal

Yep. The rookies didn't blow this game.
htxag09
AG
Some of y'all need to step back from the cliff or just jump and quit posting.....

Am I happy with how this team looks? No. Do I think if playoffs started right now we'd be looking good? No.

Guess what, it's a weird season and everyone is struggling to an extent.

We're in a hole we can't get out of? Seriously, we're only 20% into a season. On top of that we'd make the playoffs if they started today.

We have the worst bullpen in baseball? Seriously? Don't think the stats support that take at all. Do we have a strong bullpen we can rely on? No. They're young and every day is a learning curve. But the worst in baseball? Get out of here with that nonsense.
bullard21k
AG
Get Pressley, urquidy, peacock and Alvarez healthy and this season will turn around in a hurry.
W
AG
one positive thing about the COVID...

it will keep Pressly from pitching in 60 games this year and triggering a nasty 2022 option for $10 MM.

the Astros don't want to pay a dime of that
Big Al 1992
AG
We've missed 2 JV starts as well.
tjack16
AG
I'm glad to see Pressly available ... but bottom of the 9th in a 1 run game isn't where I'd like to see him in his first game back in a week. I would have preferred Scrubb or Peredes in that spot
W
AG
the problem with the bullpen...

the Astros are having to use 3 or 4 relievers every game...and all it takes is for one of them to have a blowup inning...and that's the ballgame
bearkatag15
AG
If we get good news on JV soon and find out he will be back for the playoffs, then get Urquidy, Peacock and Yordan back ready to contribute, it will be a major boost to this team's sense of urgency. I bet we see a complete 180 for the positive.
Big Al 1992
AG
Still giving a blue parachute for Bielak. Great for his first start in the show.
bearkatag15
AG
Doesn't sound like Springer's wrist is a big deal. Baker said he might be out tomorrow but was unsure.
W
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm glad to see Pressly available ... but bottom of the 9th in a 1 run game isn't where I'd like to see him in his first game back in a week. I would have preferred Scrubb or Peredes in that spot
that's where Dusty goofed...by either not knowing what an effective Pressly looks like (i.e. swinging strikes on the offspeed) or not realizing the impact of the 3-batter minimum
bearkatag15
AG
On to the A's:

Some interesting pitching matchups. Basically our best 3 vs their best 3.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

I said the same thing to Mrs. Marvin, but would it have mattered? Who knows. At least we know Pressly is mentally strong and can handle the pressure and scrutiny. I won't question Dusty on that call.
bearkatag15
AG

Meanwhile the lowly Marlins have the best winning percentage in the league early on.
redline248
AG
My only complaint with Dusty's moves tonight was Sneed. That guy has given up the lead in every game he's pitched, this year.
Kashchei
AG
Corona makes you better at baseball??
Ag_07
AG
Javier v Luzardo is gonna be a great matchup.
Ag_07
AG
The problem is that he doesn't really have many better options.

Especially after a night when Lance shlt the bed after 3 IP.
bearkatag15
AG
Kashchei said:

Corona makes you better at baseball??
Maybe?

Before tonight's game:

Quote:

Only team with 1 loss
Best winning percentage in baseball
About to sweep the 2nd place AL East Club
+8 run differential
3.06 team ERA (5th best in baseball)
.738 OPS (7th best in baseball)
Marvin
AG
Ags #1 said:

They can be pitching beyond themselves and still be bad. It's not their fault for sure, and I would MUCH rather see them learn on the fly than roll out the AAAA retreads like Deetz, Armenteros and whoever. Let the kids play and get better.

But, it's also ok to say they allow way too many base runners and are not throwing strikes consistently. It doesn't have to be a binary argument.

And again, I love watching these kids. They are they next Astros stars.
tjack16
AG
What is the deepest a starter has gone this year for the astros? I can't remember one past the 6th inning unless JV did opening night

Seems to be a league wide issue with pitchers going into the 6th or 7th. Even the best starters are struggling to go deep
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

The problem is that he doesn't really have many better options.

Especially after a night when Lance shlt the bed after 3 IP.
He should have gone to Taylor right away
First Page Last Page
Page 211 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.