*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,656 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Drip99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If everybody else is indeed doing this then it should be somewhat easy to prove as there is footage of every pitch for all teams. How are the other teams getting the signal to the batter? The trash can made it easy to prove in our case.
aTm2004
AG
Beat40 said:

That is going to be the most interesting thing about next year. We will get booed in several places next year. Will be interesting to see how the team responds to all of this on the field.

Spring training press conferences are going be interesting too.
Just start randomly banging trash cans, whistling, or making bird sounds when we're at bat, and then clapping or something after the home team gets the signs from their manager/base coach. The guys like to have fun, and this is something they can make fun on away games while ****ing with the other team.
bilbobag
The Astros and possibly the Red Sox will be the escape goats for this. Other teams are doing. Two teams were pinned to take the fall to protect the MLB product.

This is the steroid controversy in reverse. You start naming more teams and the MLB product takes a hit especially if it's in big markets like New York, LA, and Boston.

You lose viewers, you lose money and MLB knows this.
TREX01
bilbobag said:

The Astros and possibly the Red Sox will be the escape goats for this. Other teams are doing. Two teams were pinned to take the fall to protect the MLB product.

This is the steroid controversy in reverse. You start naming more teams and the MLB product takes a hit especially if it's in big markets like New York, LA, and Boston.

You lose viewers, you lose money and MLB knows this.
Always tough being the escape goat. F MLB for doing that to us.
Nino Brown
Cora can not get away with only being punished for Red Sox incidents. These findings are being conducted by the MLB.

The person involved in ANY illegal actions can not just run to a new team and then not be held accountable. That also includes any Yankees that move on and bring things to the surface.
tjack16
AG
y'all do know the term is "scapegoat" right?

Every time somebody posts "escape goats", I keep picturing goats on the run
Deluxe
AG
Nino Brown said:

Cora can not get away with only being punished for Red Sox incidents. These findings are being conducted by the MLB.

The person involved in ANY illegal actions can not just run to a new team and then not be held accountable. That also includes any Yankees that move on and bring things to the surface.
He will be. Just gotta be patient and let MLB finish up the Red Sox investigation.
bluefire579
AG
bilbobag
Typing on phone and somehow was autocorrected..

Trying to take some attention off the Astros.

Laugh it up
Bulldog73
AG
If you really want to take attention off the Astros, now would be a great time to drop a bombshell about the Patriots or Rams (completely different levels, I know, but the Rams are nationally closer to the Astros level than the Pats are.)
bilbobag
I am not deflecting what the Astros did but the aren't the only ones but will be the second warning for teams to stop doing it.

I blame MLB for the use of replay and the allowing of tv monitors and extra cameras? Whose with me.
tjack16
AG
Bulldog73 said:

If you really want to take attention off the Astros, now would be a great time to drop a bombshell about the Patriots or Rams (completely different levels, I know, but the Rams are nationally closer to the Astros level than the Pats are.)
so the rams are evading punishment? guess you could call them.... escape goats
mwm
Buster Olney can take a long trip to where the sun never shines. NY trash.
Beat40
bilbobag said:

I am not deflecting what the Astros did but the aren't the only ones but will be the second warning for teams to stop doing it.

I blame MLB for the use of replay and the allowing of tv monitors and extra cameras? Whose with me.
I blame MLB for not coming out against the articles written and saying it has already been handled internally when they changed the rules before the 2019 season knowing what was going on. They didn't want this mess in the first place and then failed to have the backbone to stand up on their on prevention methods.

They let some dudes with Microsoft Word back them into a corner.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So I agree with the takes above that they should have hit Cora yesterday as well......but I think the main reason it is being delayed is to see if they can determine what he did in 2018. They probably already have an idea what his punishment will be for 2017, but if he was proven to have done more than what is already known in 2018 or maybe even what was done in 2019 in Boston....that is what will get him the permaban.

So with that in mind I am glad they announced ours now instead of right before spring training for example when they are able to conclude the Red Sox portion.

I also think they may, just may use him as a way to get to Beltran and his time in Ysankee land like we alluded to from his post game interview before.....Part of me believes that this whole thing is truly a Carlos Beltran clown show and maybe theyre looking for a way to get him without having to touch any other active players. If you can tie something to him from 2018, or his 2019 time with the yankees as an executive, then spin that as being just him and a few current players which absolves their milk cow, the yankees...even if you want to hit them with a loss of pick and a small fine, grand scheme that is quickly forgotten
Harry Stone
AG
I think the Red Sox get hit as well. After that, I don't think anyone else will. They will make examples of both clubs and the others that did it will just fall in line. There will be rumblings inside all clubhouses about other teams, but thats it. The Astros and Red Sox are going to be McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, and Sosa, while all other teams will be Bagwell, IRod, Juangone, Greg Vaughn ,etc. It's fairly obvious the latter used PEDs, but MLB wanted to go after the big violators that actually benefitted by winning champioships, ie HR titles.
AggieLit
So yesterday Stephen A. Smith says he thinks the punishment is excessive, and today he says the Astros should be stripped of their title?

Is the guy schizo?

This is getting worse and worse.
Ag_07
AG
Don't listen to Stephen A.

Regardless of the subject too. Just don't do it. Your life will be better.
Ag_07
AG
And I think they may go after Beltran for two reasons...

One being he's not a current player protected by the MLBPA

Two being that he's currently still in the league. He's not retired and actually managing a team.

I think those two reasons will open the door the them somehow getting him with some kind of punishment.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I think they may go after Beltran for two reasons...

One being he's not a current player protected by the MLBPA

Two being that he's currently still in the league. He's not retired and actually managing a team.

I think those two reasons will open the door the them somehow getting him with some kind of punishment.

Bet not. I think we should hire him as manager, but Crane wouldn't dare.
Ag_07
AG
Well he was just hired to manage the Mets but regardless yeah you're right.

Crane wants a clean slate which is why I'm not so sure he hands it over to Espada.
bobinator
AG
How are we holding up over here?
MAROON
AG
Ag_07 said:

Well he was just hired to manage the Mets but regardless yeah you're right.

Crane wants a clean slate which is why I'm not so sure he hands it over to Espada.
Espada wasn't here in 2017
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
ClickClack
AG
AggieLit said:

So yesterday Stephen A. Smith says he thinks the punishment is excessive, and today he says the Astros should be stripped of their title?

Is the guy schizo?

That's because he has no conviction about anything he says. He will say whatever the flavor of the hour is, because he's a POS who lacks actual critical thinking skills
JDUB08AG
AG
bobinator said:

Still massively bummed out. I'm mad at everyone. The players, hinch, luhnow, the commissioner, crane, the media, the self righteous organizations. All of it. It all sucks.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
WelchAg said:

bobinator said:

Still massively bummed out. I'm mad at everyone. The players, hinch, luhnow, the commissioner, crane, the media, the self righteous organizations. All of it. It all sucks.
That's a good way to put it.

I'm upset at the team for allowing this to happen. I'm upset that we lost our best GM we ever had. I'm upset at other fan bases crucifying us. I'm upset that the one championship this city has had in the last 20 years will forever be tainted.
Deluxe
AG
bobinator said:

What do you think? Did what you expected based on your inside info align with what shook out?
JYDog90
AG
I hate that Hinch and Luhnow are gone. But I do find it amusing that there are lots of folks on this thread calling AJ the architect and what a big loss he was...who less than 3 months ago we're *****ing and moaning about him and about how we'd been "Hinched."
bobinator
AG
Yeah... at least all of the operational details. I had no idea what the MLB was actually going to do. Kinda figured it was going to be pretty bad though.

I just don't understand how they thought they'd get away with it when there's that much organizational turnover in pro baseball.
Ag_07
AG
I know

I just think Crane wants a complete break from all this and the past regime.

Plus I think if he planned on giving the job to Espada wouldn't he have done that yesterday? Why not just say Espada is our new manager?

Just my personal take
W
AG
slightly shifting gears...will the new Astros GM have different ideas about what to do with Correa (and his pending free agency after 2021)?

since the 'stros don't have 1st & 2nd round picks for 2 years...a Correa trade (midseason or next offseason) could make up for some of that
Deluxe
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah... at least all of the operational details. I had no idea what the MLB was actually going to do. Kinda figured it was going to be pretty bad though.

I just don't understand how they thought they'd get away with it when there's that much organizational turnover in pro baseball.
It's interesting to think about what each of the 13 position players on our roster must have been thinking. Assuming it was a concoction of Cora/Beltran, part of me almost exempts Bregman, Correa and a few of the younger guys from too much fault. If you've got long time vets in the clubhouse telling you that every team is doing it to some extent, it's hard to tell them no. I also get the sense that Beltran has installed something like this with every club he's been on the previous 10 years, so he probably felt some invincibility. At the very least, he thought he had plausible deniability by just saying "the pitcher was tipping" if he was ever accused.

But ultimately you are right. Crazy that all those guys didn't take into account the possibility that a snakey disgruntled ex-Astro who would rat them out.
n_touch
Quote:

Crazy that all those guys didn't take into account the possibility that a snakey disgruntled ex-Astro who would rat them out.
They know now
Gramercy Riffs
AG
ClickClack said:

AggieLit said:

Is the guy schizo?

That's because he has no conviction about anything he says. He will say whatever the flavor of the hour is, because he's a POS who lacks actual critical thinking skills

Or because he's a genius when it comes to making people talk about him two days in a row. Looks like it worked again.
Texaggie7nine
AggieLit said:

Is the guy schizo?

He said he was not aware of the extent that the Astros went above and beyond other teams that the report listed.

He seems to be of the opinion that the Astros, and maybe the Redsox with Cora, are the only teams that used a live video feed to communicate sign tips to the players.

To me it doesn't look like that is the case.
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.