*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,043,196 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

No one has cared for at least a week. The story has burned itself out and now MLB has breathing space to come out and quietly report nothing happened.
They were talking it up on satellite radio this morning, claiming Manfred is going to hurt the Astros. We'll see.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

mathguy86 said:

No one has cared for at least a week. The story has burned itself out and now MLB has breathing space to come out and quietly report nothing happened.
They were talking it up on satellite radio this morning, claiming Manfred is going to hurt the Astros. We'll see.
Dock us the pick we will get for Cole. Call it a day.
Deluxe
AG
I think that's pretty fair if the extent of our infractions is essentially what's publicly known so far.
W
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Deluxe said:

I think a lot of contracts signed this offseason will be rued

Really thinking about what the Astros have done.

They have not signed a single high price free agent off the top of my head.
They have extended guys currently on team.
They have traded for pitchers that are high price but towards the back end of their contract.

Pretty sound way of doing things I reckon.
it's hard to understand why other teams are not copying this approach. It's a fairly simple formula. Maybe teams with poor farm systems don't have the luxury to do so
07ag
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Deluxe said:

I think a lot of contracts signed this offseason will be rued

Really thinking about what the Astros have done.

They have not signed a single high price free agent off the top of my head.
They have extended guys currently on team.
They have traded for pitchers that are high price but towards the back end of their contract.

Pretty sound way of doing things I reckon.
back end of backloaded contracts is typically where the rue-ing happens,, working out for astros though
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG

Welp.. might be Contreras or bust
Farmer1906
AG
Is it?
Ag_07
AG
From what I saw the Contreras thing was a hypothetical type hit piece with no substantial sources.

One of those...Here's what all 32 teams should be doing at the winter meetings type deals.
bearkatag15
AG
Gotcha. Thought it had some legs. Just disregard the statement then. There doesn't seem to be many good options for catchers in free agency right now though.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

From what I saw the Contreras thing was a hypothetical type hit piece with no substantial sources.

One of those...Here's what all 32 teams should be doing at the winter meetings type deals.
The reports connecting the Astros and Contreras are a little more substantiated than that. More like a couple reporters saying they've heard the Astros have expressed interest. To your point, the reports are far from concrete though.

https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-shown-interest-willson-contreras-174327502.html
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906
AG
Former Astros All Star
. . .

Quote:

SAN DIEGO Scott Boras mentioned two "mystery teams" that had reached out to him Tuesday to discuss Gerrit Cole, and the Astros appear to be one of them.

Houston is contemplating if it should make a late attempt to retain Cole, a source told The Post.

Such a signing would push the Astros over the second luxury tax threshold of $228 million and perhaps even the most punitive threshold of $248 million after never exceeding that threshold previously. But the Astros have concerns about what their rotation will look like moving forward.

Zack Greinke and Justin Verlander remain elite, but will pitch at 36 and 37 next season. Forrest Whitley, once a heralded prospect, has taken steps backward. Houston likes Brandon Bielak and Cristian Javier as players who could potentially help them in 2020. Cole, along with Greinke and Verlander, would make it easier to break in inexpensive pieces in the back end of the rotation.

Mathguy64
AG
That is a classic Boras BS story. He gets that stuff written every year about clients to drive up interest. It stinks. Owners get busted for collusion and he gets to play everyone for free.
Ag_07
AG
I just realized Boras has Strasburg, Cole, and Rendon.

Is he the most powerful man in baseball?
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

I just realized Boras has Strasburg, Cole, and Rendon.

Is he the most powerful man in baseball?

Gonna clip a 4% agent fee off of $800 mil in new contract value. Pocket $32 mil for himself and call it a day.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
Does postseason performance count?
Mr.Bond
AG
bearkatag15 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I'm in tears. Phenomenal gif application
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe
AG
irish pete ag06
AG
Deluxe said:

Deluxe
AG
I think the trade Correa scenario is only in play if we give a certain pitcher a very large sum of money
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
redline248
AG
Scanned the article. It amounts to "Astros considered it, but most teams have a SS and his value is low. No deals close, but eventually he may not be an Astro."

In other words, no real news to report.
Deluxe
AG
Gracias. I don't have a sub so couldn't read it. Fair value seems like it will be close to impossible to get for him. Impending free agency will scare off rebuilders. And win-now teams will just want to give up prospects.
BCSGrubber
AG
Correa is the odd man out once you commit to Springer. He is going to break the bank so you hope you can get a good year out of him this year to trade him next offseason
mloz12
BCSGrubber said:

Correa is the odd man out once you commit to Springer. He is going to break the bank so you hope you can get a good year out of him this year to trade him next offseason
Does it seem like we'll sign Springer to a long-term deal soon? I really hope so...
Ag_07
AG
Correa needs to stay healthy if we ever wanna trade him.

FFS he broke a rib getting a massage.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Gracias. I don't have a sub so couldn't read it. Fair value seems like it will be close to impossible to get for him. Impending free agency will scare off rebuilders. And win-now teams will just want to give up prospects.

Complete nothing burger.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Deluxe said:

This is such a trash article, especially by "The Athletic" standards. He basically discusses the salary cap in far less detail than we discuss here and uses that as a reason why he gets traded. Good job Ken.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag_07 said:

Correa needs to stay healthy if we ever wanna trade him.

FFS he broke a rib when his fiance beat his ass.

FIFY
EastCoastAgNc
AG
There are rumors afloat on the interwebs that the Astros are on the verge of sending Correa to Cincy for Luis Castillo, their young ace pitcher under control through 2024. Reddick may be included.

First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.