*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,825 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Then it's still horse **** and them just trying to save face dim doing this should not take away any of the punishment they have coming to them

It will be a longer suspension at minimum to an outright ineligiblity at most.
W
AG
so now Cora has been fired.

all this reminds me of the Joker's quote from the Dark Knight:

"it's all part of the plan"
bearkatag15
AG

Pretty interesting work here. If true then Altuve continues to be the saint we all love and cherish.
the last of the bohemians
I really hope the Astros break some offense records this year....
Thinice
bearkatag15 said:

Hal Lanier, bring back the rage!!!!!!
Ausmus would be tremendously bad idea
Farmer1906
AG
Espada would be my pick.
Farmer1906
AG
Wonder if Sig Mejdal wants a promotion to GM? He's the NASA guy who left with Mike Elias to Baltimore.
I'm disappointed that we are not having a preseason discussion of Tucker or Reddick....thanks a lot mlb
Farmer1906
AG
Nothing to discuss. TED > Reddick.
n_touch
No way Crane is that crazy. The team would riot.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Mike Fiers
bluefire579
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ugh, please no to Buck Showalter. The only thing he has reliably shown in his career is an ability to lose.
Ag_07
AG
It's going to be interesting how Crane goes about these hires.

I understood him that he will hire a manager first then hire the GM but logically I would think the GM hire would happen then let him hire the manager.

I would also think that if they go internal on one hire then they would go internal on the other. I can't see them hiring Espada then hiring an external GM.
rak1693
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wonder if Sig Mejdal wants a promotion to GM? He's the NASA guy who left with Mike Elias to Baltimore.
I'd be 110% on board with Mejdal as GM and Espada as Manager. That'd be making the most of our situation.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Espada would be my pick.

If it's Espada or anyone else listed on those odds, give me Espada. I want no part if some of those names.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah after Espada and Quarturo there's no one on that list I want.

Hell I'd take Biggio or Blum as a manager over most on that list.
dshedd41
S
Stark: Take back the Astros' trophy? That was never going to happen

http://theathletic.com/1534933/2020/01/15/stark-take-back-the-astros-trophy-that-was-never-going-to-happen/?source=shared-article

Quote:

It's a slippery slope
Why don't we start with this time-honored principle: Once something happens, it's even tough for David Copperfield let alone Rob Manfred to make it un-happen.

Ask yourself this: If you were going to make a ruling that what the Astros did in 2017 shouldn't count, then what exactly about it shouldn't count?

Would just the results of that World Series not count? Or other series, too? Would the Dodgers then be called the winners of that World Series? Or would that be a World Series that nobody won?

What about the regular season? Would those games count? Would those Astros wins count? Or would they forfeit every one of those 101 games they won? If they did, would those victories then be assigned to the teams they played? Then what would you do about the standings?

OK, how about the stats compiled in those games? Would you start stripping them, too? Would you take away Jos Altuve's batting title? How about those 204 hits he got? Would they disappear off his Baseball-Reference page, too? Would we then start changing the stats of the pitchers who gave up those hits?

And what would we do about the box scores? They tell the story of the history of this sport, one beautiful game at a time. Would we rule that everything in the Astros' box scores was a lie? Should we even zap those box scores from the record books and the internet?

See the problem here? These things happened. They. All. Happened. All of them! We have witnesses. We have records. We have box scores. We have videos. So once you start messing with what happened, where do you stop? How slippery is that slope? Way too slippery to mess with.

And there's something else here that's complicated: the memories.

Remember what that World Series meant, in that time and place, to all those people in Houston who had just survived a powerful hurricane and found much-needed joy when that World Series parade rolled through their town. What would you tell those people? Could you please stop by our office so we can delete those memories from the hard drive in your brain because we just decided that parade never happened?

Let's just not go there. History unfolded. To step in and try to change it is way too complicated. Attach that asterisk to all of it in your head if you'd like. But that's about it.

Where's the precedent?
If you study Rob Manfred's ruling in this case, everything about it was wrapped in some sort of precedent, based on a history of baseball crimes, punishments and scandals through the years. So where is the precedent for stripping a World Series trophy or pretty much anything else in all those years?

Let's think about the PED era. Barry Bonds got to keep all seven of his MVP trophies. Roger Clemens gave back zero of his Cy Youngs. Manny Ramrez won a batting title, a home run title, an RBI title and a World Series MVP award. Even two PED suspensions didn't cost him any of that.

The PED transgressions of the Bash Brothers didn't cause the 1989 A's to surrender their World Series trophy. Despite what we know about that era now, not one line in the record book has been changed. Not one homer has been un-hit. Not a single game won has been un-won.

But this goes well beyond PEDs. We have indisputable video evidence that Armando Galarraga should have thrown a perfect game back in 2010. We had it moments after one of baseball's best umpires, Jim Joyce, missed the call at first base. We had Joyce himself apologizing that night for getting that call wrong and costing Galarraga his place in history.

But this sport didn't rewrite the script of that game, right? It just meant Galarraga wound up with a slightly different place in history.

Heck, we even know now that the most famous home run in baseball history Bobby Thomson, 1951 was tainted by cheating. But that home run stands. Russ Hodges' epic call of that home run is still just a click and a goosebump away. The Giants won the pennant. The Giants won the pennant. And the Giants have never stopped winning that pennant because there was no precedent then to declare otherwise and there still isn't.

What about the other pro sports?
Remind me again how many wins, honors and trophies the Patriots have given back over in the NFL. Whatever happened in Deflategate, the Patriots still are the proud winners of Super Bowl XLIX. Tom Brady eventually paid a price and missed a few games, true. But nothing that happened in that season or postseason has been voided, obliterated or changed in any way.

And whatever happened in Spygate, the Patriots still made that trip to Super Bowl XLII. They didn't win that game. But I'm pretty sure their AFC Championship trophy was never mailed back to New York.

Or how about the NBA? A referee, Tim Donaghy, admitted to fixing games and went to jail for his crime. But how many of those games he fixed had their results changed? Right. That would be none.

And why is that? Because all of this raises an issue that only a time machine can resolve. How do you know what would have happened if there had been no cheating or no drug-taking or no deflating or no spying? We don't know these things. We can't know these things.

And also how do we know for sure that the other team wasn't doing something? It has been clear, in all of The Athletic's reporting on this issue, that no one believes the Astros were the only team stealing signs via technology. They're just the team that got caught. The Red Sox are now in this investigation pipeline. Who knows how many more teams could get swallowed up in this? How do we know the Astros weren't playing against those very teams when they were banging on those trash cans?

So as we were saying all these slopes are as precarious as slopes can possibly get.

What about amateur sports?
Obviously, the NCAA feels differently about this. Louisville lost its 2013 NCAA basketball title. Southern Cal lost its 2004 national football championship. Reggie Bush had to give back his Heisman Trophy.

And obviously, the International Olympic Committee has gone down a very different road. No need to recap all the failed drug tests and medals stripped. But there is no denying that the IOC has taken exactly the opposite stance on cheating of any kind or at least cheating it was able to detect.

But once upon a time, I recall making that point to a baseball official as we discussed a similar issue. I brought up the NCAA.

"I'm not sure that's a model you want to follow," he said.

There are people in his sport right now, this very week who would disagree with that, though. If the Astros were to be consigned to a place in history alongside Louisville and USC, those people would be extremely cool with that.

But in baseball, history has a different place in the sporting cosmos. The making of history is an integral part of the fabric of baseball. But nowhere in that fabric has anyone ever dared to un-make history. And as we learned again this week, Rob Manfred was not going to be the first.

Gig’em Aggies!
redline248
AG
n_touch said:

No way Crane is that crazy. The team would riot.

I would personally drive to Houston and start a riot in the streets outside MM
bilbobag
Two names that I have heard aren't on that odds list.. Will be interesting to see what Crane does.

Whomever he hires, it has to be a no BS guy but I also think someone the fans can get behind more than ever.
Ag_07
AG
Dude...Cmon now

I also think it needs to a players coach much like Hinch. The most valuable thing Hinch brought to the table was his ability to build quality relationships with all the players. His people skills were absolutely elite.
tjack16
AG
if the players like Espada then that's probably the route I'd take. The focus has to be on keeping the players locked in for this season. An outside guy might cause more issues in the locker room.
aTm2004
AG
bilbobag said:

Two names that I have heard aren't on that odds list.. Will be interesting to see what Crane does.

Whomever he hires, it has to be a no BS guy but I also think someone the fans can get behind more than ever.
irish pete ag06
AG
bilbobag said:

Please don't say Ozzie Guillen.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Go with Espada for the year, and hire AJ back after he serves his penance and repairs his reputation over the year.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah after Espada and Quarturo there's no one on that list I want.

I'm more intrigued by the Rays front office and scouting department than their coaches.

One interesting question that has been asked already, I'm sure, is how much this cheating aftermath would affect an elite GM's interest in the Houston job? I haven't seen anything on that... the media seems too busy burning down MMP to move forward just yet.
AustinCountyAg
bilbobag said:

HossAg
AG
Lol, if there was a chance of hiring him back then Crane wouldn't have fired him in the first place.
AustinCountyAg
Personally, I'd like to see Crane hire a young manager who can relate to the guys and build relationships with the team and community and not some old dude. Like 07 said people skills are more important than anything with this roster than experience.
Deluxe
AG
Pretty sure Espada will get the job for now, then Crane will do a thorough GM search and the new GM will get to pick his guy or keep Espada.

I think that's the right approach because you want unity between the GM and field manger's office. That's part of what made Luhnow/Hinch so effective.
CFTXAG10
AG
Initially I was against Espada, primarily because I didn't know much about the guy and judgment was a little foggy trying to sort through wtf just happened when Crane dropped Hinch and Luhnow

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of sticking with Espada at least for this year as manager:

- already has good relationships with current players/staff - can enhance the us vs. the world mentality
- has been highly sought after in interviews by other teams, most notably the Giants (called for 2nd interview)
- he is Puerto Rican, no explanation necessary
- it wouldn't be such a drastic change this close to spring training, he is a familiar face/voice the guys can rally behind
Ag_07
AG
So we can safely rule out Bo Porter huh?
The Beef01
AG
Whatever they do, I want to see the manager be effective at working with players like Hinch...but you have the opportunity to really move forward on AJ's biggest weakness of really being a poor fundamentals and holding guys accountable for having their head out of a game. Without this stuff having happened, the thing that was going to eventually do Hinch in was a bad season with an accumulation of guys being thrown out on the bases and sloppy play as a signature of the team.

I guess what I'm saying is...for the love of God, let it be someone who might actually look pissed when someone gets thrown out by a mile trying to leg a double into a triple, etc.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

MLB docked the Astros their regular first-round selection in this June's draft, which would have been the 30th overall pick, and their regular second-round selection, which before the sanctions was slated to be 67th overall because of the competitive balance round that is sandwiched between the first and second rounds.

This means the Astros' first 2020 draft pick will now come in the competitive balance round that follows the second round, which should fall somewhere in the 70th-75th overall range. That is the draft choice they received as compensation for losing free agent starter Gerrit Cole, who declined their one-year, $17.8 million qualifying offer a month before he signed with the Yankees for nine years and $324 million.

After the comp pick, the Astros' next selection in the 2020 draft will be their regular third-rounder, the final pick of that round, which should fall in the 105th-110th overall range. Almost as detrimental at losing the picks themselves, the Astros also forfeited the bonus pool money attached to their regular first- and second-round picks. Those values have not yet been released by MLB. But for reference, the 30th selection in the 2019 draft came with a slot value of $2.37 million and the 67th pick had a slot value of just less than $1 million.

Because of the forfeitures by the Astros, the first competitive balance round and second-round picks for the rest of the teams will move up by one selection each. Each of the other 29 teams will also have slightly more bonus pool money with which to work than they previously would have.

That will be the case in 2021, as well, when the Astros will again be without their regular first- and second-rounders. Both of those are likely to also be late-round picks given the strength of their 2020 roster. And say next offseason they were to sign a free agent who had declined a qualifying offer from his previous team, the second-round pick they would lose for the signing would push their sign-stealing forfeiture to the second round of the 2022 draft.

It will be at least two to three years before the Astros feel the effects of losing four first- and second-round selections, which means a vast majority of the players culpable in the sign-stealing scheme won't even be impacted by this particular aspect of the punishment. Nor will they feel the $5 million fine Manfred levied against the team.
dshedd41
S
No go for Bo
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.