*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,850 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the season got wasted I would not be shocked if it counts as a year of service to FA For all players and the player can choose or not choose it to count on contract. So the old guys like Cabrera and Pujols get protection and don't lose a massive year of pay while guys like Springer can count the year without pay and trade the pay for time and become FA without waiting another year.
W
AG
that would be rough for the Astros.

Reddick could force himself onto the 2021 roster for $13 MM. Same for Brantley. Same for Yuli.

adios George for sure under that scenario
BMX Bandit
I think this issue has already been resolved in the agreement they made in March.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

Reddick could force himself onto the 2021 roster for $13 MM. Same for Brantley. Same for Yuli.

I'd only be upset about one of those.
tjack16
AG
If I was Springer I would sign a 1 or 2 year deal than try to get a better FA deal after 2021 and hopefully teams have more money
agproducer
AG
Even if players are given a year of service time, FA money will be down in 2021. It may behoove some of the FAs to play under one year deals in the hopes of landing the bigger contacts in 2022.
n_touch
agproducer said:

Even if players are given a year of service time, FA money will be down in 2021. It may behoove some of the FAs to play under one year deals in the hopes of landing the bigger contacts in 2022.

They will just price tickets and concessions higher
CFTXAG10
AG

k20dub
AG
**** it. Let's do a 20 game season. Those games would be effing intense.
mazag08
AG
k20dub said:

**** it. Let's do a 20 game season. Those games would be effing intense.
I've got my trash can ready.
Farmer1906
AG
No slumps allowed.
W
AG
Heyman is a great hedger.

"great confidence...not sure why"
Ag_07
AG
Another job well done by ntouch!

These are slick

Mr.Bond
AG
Absolutely bad ass

And before I get asked for the fifth time no that's not a bag of weed..... those are dog treats LOL
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
AG
Where in the hell did you get that Maker's Mark I need that yesterday
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BCSGrubber
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Where in the hell did you get that Maker's Mark I need that yesterday
After the World Series win they had them at Specs
Mr.Bond
AG
Well son of a *****

Farmer1906
AG
Go clean your counter up, slob.
Bregxit
AG
Why do you have a bottle of SpermX in the background?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

It's Hunter Atkins. For those that need a refresher, it's this guy...

Mr.Bond
AG
Bregxit said:

Why do you have a bottle of SpermX in the background?

Germ X....... Perv!!!!

Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Go clean your counter up, slob.

That actually is clean!!! Haha. Damn kids

W
AG
tjholley16 said:

If I was Springer I would sign a 1 or 2 year deal than try to get a better FA deal after 2021 and hopefully teams have more money
it's fair to wonder if George or his agent has mishandled the situation.

2020 is Springers's 7th year in the big leagues...and the most he's made in any one season is $12 MM. And he won't surpass that (obviously) in 2020. He's also a 3-time all-star.

something seems a little off about all that.

I think that's what the union will be trying to fix in the next CBA
W
AG
perhaps it was the mad genius of Luhnow...

Altuve's situation (career earnings) looks even worse for a 6-time all-star and league MVP.

but at least he knows the big payday is coming in 2021. When he'll finally top the $10 MM threshold in annual salary (and earn $29 MM) in his 11th big league season
YNWA_AG
AG
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

tjholley16 said:

it's fair to wonder if George or his agent has mishandled the situation.

2020 is Springers's 7th year in the big leagues...and the most he's made in any one season is $12 MM. And he won't surpass that (obviously) in 2020. He's also a 3-time all-star.

something seems a little off about all that.

I think that's what the union will be trying to fix in the next CBA
What is off is how the Astros brought him up late. They did it within the rules (I think) but it's a terrible deal for George. He had ~700 ABs in AA/AAA batting over 1000 OPS at 22/23 for a team that was starving for talent at the big league level.

Keep in mind he signed a 2 year 24 M deal to avoid hitting arb. So he got some early and maybe a little less than he could have but not much. His last year of arb was up and he was going to get 21 M but then covid. Hard to blame anyone there. Even with all the issues, he's still made 32 M in his career. Not terrible.

Regardless of how plays out, I think it's in his best interest to hit the market at 31 and not 32. Usually the point of signing those short term deals is to prove something (health, come back, etc) but I don't think George has anything to prove. Over the last 4 years, he's averaged ~640 plate appearances and ranks 4th in WAR for OFs behind Trout, Betts, and Yelich.
BMX Bandit
Not sure what his agent could have done differently
CoachRTM
AG

I hope this becomes a thing
Jackal99
AG
CoachRTM said:

I hope this becomes a thing

Can you imagine being a pitcher and staring down a gang of Sponge Bobs?
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64
AG
I suspect the Rangers ownership is applying lots of pressure to MLB to be able to play with as many fans in seats as possible. MMP North has a mortgage payment or 2 due and it would suck to have a contractor file a lien for nonpayment.
BMX Bandit
Typical Abbott.

He says that all these teams can play, but order says

: 2. Except as provided below by paragraph number 5, this 50 percent occupancy limit does not apply to outdoor areas, events, or establishments, except that the following outdoor areas or outdoor venues shall operate at no more than 50 percent of the normal operating limits as determined by the owner:

a. professional, collegiate, or similar sporting events;

9. For purposes of this executive order, facilities with retractable roofs are considered indoor facilities, whether the roof is opened or closed; and

So which is it?
Beat40
CFTXAG10 said:

Minute Maid looks great in that picture!
spadilly
S

astros4545
AG
Wow those look nice
First Page Last Page
Page 233 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.