*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,429 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If that west schedule happens it is going to be like have twin infants, I'm not going to get sleep for 1/2 a year
Farmer1906
AG
There's no debate. It would be like debating who had the better football team last year. Sam Houston or Lsu?
W
AG
if I were George's agent...I would say it's a bad thing
W
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

If that west schedule happens it is going to be like have twin infants, I'm not going to get sleep for 1/2 a year
maybe there will be more afternoon games, since the west coast games won't have fans for a while
Beat40
The beauty of that schedule, which I don't see discussed here, is that we'd get to play the Dodgers this year. We wouldn't have in normal circumstances.

Those boys talked a lot of crap knowing they didn't have to play us. That would be a pretty fun couple of series - I'd like to see Bellinger and Correa get after it.

Would be worth it, 100%.
W
AG
oh yes, the Astros & Dodgers should open the season against one another...July 4th weekend preferably.

and it would be in Houston. All kinds of awesome
07ag
AG
W said:

agsquirrel97 said:

maybe there will be more afternoon games, since the west coast games won't have fans for a while
i'm sure they'll time it to maximize the tv viewing audience. prime time west coast will still be very late here
https://ts.la/eric59704
CFTXAG10
AG
Now that the NBA has a deal done to come back I wonder if that puts more pressure on MLB to make a return happen
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That's not too fair to compare. They're doing 6 games and then a huge tournament....very different than reconfiguring a full schedule for a 30 team league
Farmer1906
AG
While true, it should still be more pressure.
CFTXAG10
AG
That is what I am thinking. Every other major sport around you is getting back to business or at least planning to start on time.
Ag_07
AG
So MLB went from the only sport close and way ahead of others at starting to now being nowhere near close and behind the others.

I know where this is headed and it's not good for us fans.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It's also the only sport that was starting. Really easy for football to say "yup we're good, we will start normal" nascar in my opinion should have never stopped and basketballs solution is pretty basic and pathetic in my opinion. What are they doing salary wise?
BMX Bandit
Really think nba will be wondering why they are all Orlando once August rolls around.
JDUB08AG
AG
Baseball is also the only majority summer sport with limited cross over into fall
JABQ04
AG
cpsencik04 said:

That's not too fair to compare. They're doing 6 games and then a huge tournament....very different than reconfiguring a full schedule for a 30 team league

But they are going to be playing are they not?
CFTXAG10
AG
MLB still has a chance to be the first league "back" if they could get something agreed to sooner rather than later. I see a lot of folks not thrilled with the NBA return being 7/31. MLB could have crazy viewership numbers if they are back July 4th weekend. Opportunity is there.
Marvin
AG
So the owners rejected the union's counter proposal without any comment? Welp...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
Quote:

Major League Baseball has rejected the players' offer for a 114-game regular season with no additional salary cuts and told the union it did not plan to make a counterproposal, sources confirmed to ESPN.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
gougler08
AG
Only MLB could **** this up so bad
W
AG
so it's June 3rd...yeah.

doesn't seem like the season is going to start 4th of July weekend
CFTXAG10
AG
BMX Bandit
Owners told players "if you want to make BS offers, well just tell you what to are going to do".

tjack16
AG
I'm about to the point where I'm giving up hope on a 2020 season. At this point, I just don't see it happening
n_touch
CFTXAG10 said:

Hope he brought someone to play catch with.
bullard21k
AG
The closer the NBA gets to finalizing their playoffs my hope is that will put even more pressure on MLB and players to get something done.

Might not matter but I do think levels heads will hopefully grasp the ramifications of other sports figuring it out and you just not playing at all.
CFTXAG10
AG
So the owners want to keep negotiating before just flat out agreeing to a 50 game schedule with full pro-rated pay.

W
AG
Heyman means 82 games at full pro-rated pay doesn't he?
Beat40
CFTXAG10 said:

Deluxe
AG
W said:

Heyman means 82 games at full pro-rated pay doesn't he?
Maybe there's a mystery team offering full pay
bigjag19
AG
Pay per game? 25 man roster per game with 40 eligible maybe? If you're paying more than 25 per game that also adds a lot of money.
W
AG
perhaps one significant problem...

what incentive does an owner...whose team is not a world series or playoff contender...have to play the season?

(especially if fans won't be allowed to attend the games)

for example, the Tigers.

They owe negative-WAR Cabrera $30 MM for 2020 and even worse Jordan Zimmermann $25 MM. This is the last year of Zimmermann's horrific contract.

it would be better for Detroit to just take the year off and get the #1 pick in both 2020 and 2021.

there's another 10 or so franchises in the same boat....especially in the American League
Mathguy64
AG
So if you can't play because MLB doesn't have a season, can you make a legal argument that the team still owes you that time on your contract? In other words if Detroit doesn't play does Cabrera's contract roll into the next year? I don't know but that's an argument some lawyer will make.
W
AG
I think the tradeoff will be:

a cancelled 2020 season counts as a year of service toward free agency, but also counts as a no-pay-due year on a player's contract.

awesome for young players. Not awesome for old players with big contracts
W
AG
one interesting example...Michael Wacha.

he signed a 1-year contract for $9 MM with the Mets.

he would become a free agent again without throwing a pitch if the 2020 season is cancelled.

not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing for him
First Page Last Page
Page 232 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.