*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,007 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you buy my old house?
spadilly
S
agdaddy04 said:

Did you buy my old house?

If you sold in August in the Sugar Land area, there's a possibility.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

perhaps it was the mad genius of Luhnow...

Altuve's situation (career earnings) looks even worse for a 6-time all-star and league MVP.

but at least he knows the big payday is coming in 2021. When he'll finally top the $10 MM threshold in annual salary (and earn $29 MM) in his 11th big league season
He took money early and signed a very team-friendly deal before he truly broke out. When he would have hit arb for the first year he agreed to a 6 year 25 M deal (back loaded). It basically locked Altuve up 3 years of additional control.

Then we ripped the deal up when he outperformed it. Those last 2 years of 6 M and 6.5 M turned into 9 M and 9.5 M. This was the year the new money would kick in at 26 M per for the next 5 years.

He basically signed a 5 year 136 M deal with us in order to get a little more money sooner again and spend his prime in Houston. If he hit the market this year, no doubt in my mind he tops the 27.5 M a year mark for longer years.
W
AG
Josh Reddick is a good example of the power / importance of free agency.

his career earnings are approximately $53 MM.

from 2009 to 2016...he made about $14 MM.

in his 4 years with the Astros he's made $39 MM (with COVID impact tbd on the last year).

lot of pressure on the players in the year(s) leading up to free agency
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07
AG
The more I read the more I'm blaming the players for this cluster F.

We're not seeing baseball this year and it's their fault.

How the hell can they expect more time to pass meaning less games but no pay reduction? Absolutely asinine.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

How the hell can they expect more time to pass meaning less games but no pay reduction? Absolutely asinine.

The owners shouldn't have agreed to prorated salaries before they had all of the information. They are the ones backing out on the deal
BMX Bandit
tjholley16 said:

Ag_07 said:

The owners shouldn't have agreed to prorated salaries before they had all of the information. They are the ones backing out on the deal
this is just not true.

the agreement to prorate was based on having fans. that was always the case.

The owners can set the season at 50 games. If there is no season, its because the players choose not to play.

spoiler alert:

they will play.

tjack16
AG
BMX Bandit said:

tjholley16 said:

Ag_07 said:

this is just not true.

the agreement to prorate was based on having fans. that was always the case.

The owners can set the season at 50 games. If there is no season, its because the players choose not to play.

spoiler alert:

they will play.

My point is they should have waited to have all the information on if they could have fans or not. They made a knee jerk reaction and assumed. You know what they say when you assume something ...
BMX Bandit
Quote:

My point is they should have waited to have all the information on if they could have fans or not. They made a knee jerk reaction and assumed. You know what they say when you assume something ...
then you are mistaken on what occurred. there was no need to wait. the deal was "if we play with fans, then we will pay you prorated" The assumption was the players wouldn't claim that wasn't the deal later. Guess owners got what they deserved for assuming the union would be honorable.
astros4545
AG
Let's change the subject a bit

W
AG
yeesh, he was actually harboring the girl.

this wasn't one of those talking-to-a-police-officer online thinking-it-was-a-girl things
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
That is a well-written article by Passan. Really puts things into perspective on how petty this whole thing really is.

One thing the article made me wonder though is about gate revenue. If the states all of a sudden follow the lead in Texas and start allowing 50% of capacity, would the owners be willing to go up to an 82 game season with a full pro-rated share?
JYDog90
AG
Is Verlander ready to go whenever the season starts?
Formerly Willy Wonka
Farmer1906
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Is Verlander ready to go whenever the season starts?
I would think so.

Last update I saw.

https://www.mlb.com/news/justin-verlander-updates-groin-injury-rehab

The initial recovery was only supposed to be ~6 weeks.
dshedd41
S
That would be interesting to find out. I just want baseball back.
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
ol' Carl Crawford in the news again --- needs to leave the ex-girlfriends alone
CFTXAG10
AG
I did some digging because I could not remember the number, but MLBPA said they needed 3 weeks of training camp before the start of the season. That would mean all players would need to report by the middle of next week or probably no later than a week from today if they wanted to start by July 4th.

MLB - both sides (owners and players) - are missing a HUGE opportunity to be the only major sport on television July 4th weekend. Hell, if you put a camera up at some of their practices I would probably watch, or even better sell tickets at MMP for open practice dates. Just so much opportunity being wasted. Damn shame.
Farmer1906
AG
6/4 was the soft deadline. It passed. I no longer expect them to be back by the 4th. It'll probably be 50 games starting near the end of July/ early Aug.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

6/4 was the soft deadline. It passed. I no longer expect them to be back by the 4th. It'll probably be 50 games starting near the end of July/ early Aug.

I'm just razzing you because you said you'd just wait for the Astros to be back on, but it's looking more and more like you might need to pick a KBO team to root for this year.

For the record, I'm guessing we get the 50 games, but it's a crying shame baseball has to be so stupid sometimes. Can't even take advantage of playing America's game on independence weekend with no other sport on.
cc10106
For anyone that cares, Lids Locker Room stores are having a 50% off everything* sale this weekend.
W
AG
fair to wonder how much the civil unrest is impacting the owners' willingness to make a deal. The rioting is a big checkmark on the "cancel the season" side of the ledger.

the protestors/rioters feel so empowered...and a baseball game with or w/o a crowd could/would be a target
BMX Bandit
If its a factor, it's less than 1% of the reason. They aren't willing to work towards a deal because players aren't. So no owners will just tell them how it's going to be
Ag_07
AG
At least the owners are showing some desire to come to am agreemen. Players aren't even negotiating.

No counter offers, no give and take, no nothing.

Just a plain ole 'Nope. We decline the owner's latest proposal'

Mathguy64
AG
The next round of labor talks are going to make this look like a friendly game of Patty Cakes. These two groups just want to break each other.
W
AG
and the owners should be able to do it. Because a majority have owned their teams for a long time (gotten their ROI) and have very stable stadium situations (paid off the mortgage or almost paid it off).

there has been very little new ballpark construction in recent years. Especially compared to the 1990's and early 2000's
Beat40
mathguy86 said:

The next round of labor talks are going to make this look like a friendly game of Patty Cakes. These two groups just want to break each other.

I'm wondering if having a salary cap would stop some of these huge money issues every time negotiations open up.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm pretty sure the players are dead set 100% against any sort of salary cap.
Mathguy64
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I'm pretty sure the players are dead set 100% against any sort of salary cap.

I'm even more sure the player's agents are dead set 100% against any sort of salary cap.
W
AG
so it's June 7th.

the season is obviously not going to begin on 4th of July weekend...only 26 days away.

have to hope for an agreement in the next 2 weeks, so the season could start by the middle of July
Farmer1906
AG
It will probably start around the same time as the NBA. Last year Aug 1 was game 110. That works with a 50 games season. Stupid.
agdaddy04
AG
W said:

so it's June 7th.

the season is obviously not going to begin on 4th of July weekend...only 26 days away.

have to hope for an agreement in the next 2 weeks, so the season could start by the middle of July

Having baseball on 4th of July weekend would've been incredible for this country. So short sighted.
BCSGrubber
AG
agdaddy04 said:

W said:

so it's June 7th.

Having baseball on 4th of July weekend would've been incredible for this country. So short sighted.

Or would have torn the country further apart with player kneeling
First Page Last Page
Page 234 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.