*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,073 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a good question. The MLBPA might have something to say about conducting investigations during the season. But if they do, then I agree... I'm glad ours is out of the way.
dixichkn
AG
So I haven't had a chance to catch ESPN today. How many baby seals did the Astros club to death today?
Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything
n_touch
dixichkn said:

So I haven't had a chance to catch ESPN today. How many baby seals did the Astros club to death today?
Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything
None. With no trashcan to help all they did was swing and miss
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If the Astros suck this year, they need to do everything they can to trade for Mike Fiers and Nick Markaksis and then option them to the minors.
Johnsy3
AG
So delving into Judge's stats after a poster earlier in the thread piqued my interest about his HR totals:

Minors (3 years comb.) 56 HR in 830 AB (1 HR/19 AB)
2016 4 HR in 84 AB (1 HR/21 AB)
2017 52 HR in 542 AB (1 HR/10 AB)
2018 27 HR in 413 AB (1 HR/15 AB)
2019 27 HR in 378 AB (1 HR/14 AB)

So this dude hit 19, 20, and 17 homers in the minors. Then comes up in 2017 and hits 52? The same year the Yankees got busted cheating and made the commissioner send out his famous memo? Like he's anything close to clean. He has the nerve to call out Altuve's MVP campaign when the literal video and stats show he didn't participate in the scheme? What a dewsh.
n_touch
the last of the bohemians
Judge is a great example of a fake persona.
Must spend a lot of time with arod.
falcon09
AG
Johnsy3 said:

So delving into Judge's stats after a poster earlier in the thread piqued my interest about his HR totals:

Minors (3 years comb.) 56 HR in 830 AB (1 HR/19 AB)
2016 4 HR in 84 AB (1 HR/21 AB)
2017 52 HR in 678 AB (1 HR/10 AB)
2018 27 HR in 413 AB (1 HR/15 AB)
2019 27 HR in 378 AB (1 HR/14 AB)

So this dude hit 19, 20, and 17 homers in the minors. Then comes up in 2017 and hits 52? The same year the Yankees got busted cheating and made the commissioner send out his famous memo? Like he's anything close to clean. He has the nerve to call out Altuve's MVP campaign when the literal video and stats show he didn't participate in the scheme? What a dewsh.
I think you miss typed his 2017 numbers. It was 542 AB, 678 PA. So it was a HR every 10.4 AB. Not trying to throw shade, the numbers just look off.

Either way, Judge (and pretty much any other Yankee) should be the last one to be whining about the Astros "stealing" the ALCS or an MVP.
Nino Brown
Judge hit .312 with 33 homers at home in 2017.
He hit .256 with 19 homers on the road with 4 more at bats.

In 2018-19 he had 54 homers in 945 at bats. In 2019 he had 11 homers at home and 16 on the road. Sounds like the cheating stopped for the Yankees after 2017 when they forced the memo.

By contrast in 2017 Altuve hit .311 with 9 homers at home and .381 with 15 homers on the road with two less at bats. He struck out 52 times at home and 32 on the road.

Bergman hit 13 homers at home and 26 away in 2017.
He hit 16 homers at home and 25 on the road in 2019.

Yankee stadium ranked 2nd in homers in 2017 while MMP ranked 14th. In 2019 Yankee stadium ranked 25th and MMP ranked 6th.

In 2017 the Yankees had 140 homers at home while the Astros had 115 at home. The Yankees had 101 on the road that year while the Astros had 123 on the road.

But by all means, don't let the numbers speak for themselves.

Johnsy3
AG
I accidentally looked at PA first then had to correct it to AB before I hit post. I must have missed 2017. At least I still had the HR/AB stat correct
agproducer
AG
I'm ready for baseball!

I flipped on my TV and saw my MLB.tv app updated on my Roku. So, I logged in. I watched a highlight package with the longest Astro HRs of 2019. Springer, Altuve, Yule, Correa and Yordan.

They are all coming back this year. They'll be back with a vengeance.

If you have a chance, spend the 5 minutes. It will get you ready.

I'm ****ing pumped!
Ags #1
AG
And she still replies to someone saying she stands behind her statement
Nino Brown
Also, in regards to Stantons' bull**** comments. Call him out ok national TV in the very first game we play the Yankees. Tell him the exact pitch that's coming each time, see what happens.
Nino Brown
And the "developments" that have slowed things down in Sox situation only means one thing.

Some facts have surfaced with the Yankees and one other club the past two weeks. Manfred is in damage control at this point to secure the entire lid.
07ag
AG
maybe manfred is letting the outrage build, so when he hammers a third of the league, no one complains

https://ts.la/eric59704
Wabs
AG
Nino Brown said:

And the "developments" that have slowed things down in Sox situation only means one thing.

Some facts have surfaced with the Yankees and one other club the past two weeks. Manfred is in damage control at this point to secure the entire lid.
This is what I'm thinking, too. And yes, Manfred is already hated by every fan base, so he is in major sweep under the rug mode. There is NO WAY he hammers the Red Sox and then starts an investigation into the Yankees. No way.
MaxPower
The problem is he laid a stiff penalty on the Astros. If he covers up other teams with viable leads it will be an epic scandal. Worst in sports history. If it's true that roughly a quarter of the league does this stuff then it means 3/4 will be pissed off if he's covering up other teams that could be competitively impaired through penalties to their benefit.
mwm
Why is the word "cheat" so emotionally-charged?

Doesn't everyone (including me) bend the rules that are imposed on us?

Did you go over the speed limit on the way to work this morning? Isn't breaking the speed limit "cheating"?

I don't excuse what the 'stros did. What they did was, in my opinion, stupid & greedy. We didn't need to bend the rules...we had the horses to get it done without bending any rule.
tjack16
AG
I'm a teacher ... and if two students cheat on my test. I dont care how they cheated or "who cheated at a higher level".... they both cheated and get a zero on the test

That's my biggest issue with this whole thing. People are okay with admitting most teams cheat, but "the Astros did it at a higher level" is used to not make your team look guilty
rak1693
AG
Agreed. Verlander could tell him every pitch he was going to throw in an AB and it's still very likely that he walks away with a K.
wangus12
AG
Man you're lucky. My wife tries to give a student a failing grade for anything and the parents/administration are on her like baseball media writers on the Yankees nut sack
Wabs
AG
MaxPower said:

The problem is he laid a stiff penalty on the Astros. If he covers up other teams with viable leads it will be an epic scandal. Worst in sports history. If it's true that roughly a quarter of the league does this stuff then it means 3/4 will be pissed off if he's covering up other teams that could be competitively impaired through penalties to their benefit.
As much as I (and probably everyone on this thread) would love to see every team suspected of cheating investigated, I really don't see it happening. Manfred's #1 job is to put fans in seats. The last thing he wants is an ongoing scandal with investigation after investigation. He wants the focus on actual baseball.

It sucks donkey dick, but the Astros (and Red Sox to a much lesser degree) are going to take it on the chin for MLB. Be prepared for that.

Fan bases around the league are ok with the Astros taking all the blame. One, they don't want their team investigated. Two, they have the Astros to blame for them not winning a title (LA & NY).
aTm2004
AG
tjholley16 said:

I'm a teacher ... and if two students cheat on my test. I dont care how they cheated or "who cheated at a higher level".... they both cheated and get a zero on the test

That's my biggest issue with this whole thing. People are okay with admitting most teams cheat, but "the Astros did it at a higher level" is used to not make your team look guilty
So, you're not a fan of any sports? Hate to break it to you, but your alma mater cheats. Be it "tutoring" some of the athletes or other things. Like the Cowboys or Texans? They're doing shady stuff. NBA fan? Same thing. Racing? "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin" is a famous phrase by Richard Petty. It's a part of sports. Always has been and always will be as long as the reward is worth the risk, which in 99.999% of the cases, it is. SMU is the only exception.
k20dub
AG
MaxPower
tj,

There's always degrees. If a student talked to someone who took your class last semester and got the answer to one of the questions on the test because you forgot to change it, is that cheating? In the purest sense yes but if you find out about it and give that student a 0 then that makes you the a-hole.
aTm2004
AG
Wabs said:

MaxPower said:

As much as I (and probably everyone on this thread) would love to see every team suspected of cheating investigated, I really don't see it happening. Manfred's #1 job is to put fans in seats. The last thing he wants is an ongoing scandal with investigation after investigation. He wants the focus on actual baseball.

It sucks donkey dick, but the Astros (and Red Sox to a much lesser degree) are going to take it on the chin for MLB. Be prepared for that.

Fan bases around the league are ok with the Astros taking all the blame. One, they don't want their team investigated. Two, they have the Astros to blame for them not winning a title (LA & NY).
I don't believe that there will be further investigations, but I would like for Manfred to name other teams who have been reported to have done similar things.
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

tj,

There's always degrees. If a student talked to someone who took your class last semester and got the answer to one of the questions on the test because you forgot to change it, is that cheating? In the purest sense yes but if you find out about it and give that student a 0 then that makes you the a-hole.
Well no because any previous exams, study guides, etc are fair game... everybody knows that. What I'm talking about is on the day of the test.
If I have one student who is caught looking at a cheat sheet that is not allowed, or copying discretely from his notes/hand that is cheating and a zero.
If I have a second student who is "using technology" like getting text messages from a friend telling them what the answers are, that is cheating and a zero.

you missed my point. Point is, people are claiming their innocence in cheating because the astros took it a step further with technology. Neither absolves the other of innocence.

BTW, I'm a theatre teacher so I rarely if ever give exams, I'm going off of school and district policies of cheating
tjack16
AG
aTm2004 said:

tjholley16 said:

So, you're not a fan of any sports? Hate to break it to you, but your alma mater cheats. Be it "tutoring" some of the athletes or other things. Like the Cowboys or Texans? They're doing shady stuff. NBA fan? Same thing. Racing? "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin" is a famous phrase by Richard Petty. It's a part of sports. Always has been and always will be as long as the reward is worth the risk, which in 99.999% of the cases, it is. SMU is the only exception.
I'm talking about sign stealing.

Not recruiting or extra tutorials. Not bringing NCAA recruiting into this which we ALL know is corrupt. The NCAA is not really a model I'd like to follow as a standard for excellence.
aTm2004
AG
tjholley16 said:

aTm2004 said:

tjholley16 said:

I'm talking about sign stealing.

Not recruiting or extra tutorials. Not bringing NCAA recruiting into this which we ALL know is corrupt. The NCAA is not really a model I'd like to follow as a standard for excellence.
You're talking about cheating. Sign stealing, flopping, being 2 pounds under minimum weight, etc...all the same in the end.

But I agree with you regarding academics. What you get from that is real life. Your favorite team winning more games or a championship is just a highlight that will fade with time. What you learn in school stays with you forever and directly impacts a your future.
astros4545
AG
tjholley16 said:

MaxPower said:

tj,

Well no because any previous exams, study guides, etc are fair game... everybody knows that. What I'm talking about is on the day of the test.
If I have one student who is caught looking at a cheat sheet that is not allowed, or copying discretely from his notes/hand that is cheating and a zero.
If I have a second student who is "using technology" like getting text messages from a friend telling them what the answers are, that is cheating and a zero.

you missed my point. Point is, people are claiming their innocence in cheating because the astros took it a step further with technology. Neither absolves the other of innocence.

BTW, I'm a theatre teacher so I rarely if ever give exams, I'm going off of school and district policies of cheating

Ag_07
AG
Here's a little something from the 2017 WS MVP for all the haters, whiners, poosays, snitches, and narcs out there doing anything they can to get to the nearest camera to run their mouths because they didn't win it all.

tjack16
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Ok ok ok...on your last day before retirement, you have to take the worst female student in the class who has dreams of Hollywood stardom aside and tell her "honey, the only acting you'll be doing in front of a camera will have a script of 'oh yeah oh yeah right there.'"
n_touch
Your blank box is showing them...lol
aTm2004
AG
Fixed?
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.