*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,163 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Stripling must still be bitter about our guys roughing him up in the 2018 ASG.
aTm2004
AG
bearkatag15 said:

OMG.... I ****ing love this... of coarse its in Southern California where the decision makers are likely Dodger fans.
I'm pretty sure the dads wear skinny jeans and the moms list their pronouns on their Etsy pages.
wangus12
AG
Yeah that should be a definite suspension if he does now.

Springer might as well wear a flak jack on opening day because that first pitch is definitely coming for him.

How pissed would LA be if Ohtani started opening day (obviously he is still out), hit Springer and Verlander puts a fast ball right on his elbow when he comes up.
bluefire579
AG
If MLB was smart, they'd begin every Astros game with instant warnings before a pitch is even thrown and issue statements about mandatory suspensions to nip this kind of **** in the bud.

But in no way do I expect that to happen.
Wabs
AG
Sorry Ross, but these pitchers saying they are going to plunk Astros sound like little babies. You know what, please do plunk as many as you want. Free base runners and more suspensions for opposing pitchers.

How about batters throwing a bat at pitchers using substances to aid their pitching (like snitch Mike Fiers)?
aTm2004
AG
wangus12 said:

Yeah that should be a definite suspension if he does now.

Springer might as well wear a flak jack on opening day because that first pitch is definitely coming for him.

How pissed would LA be if Ohtani started opening day (obviously he is still out), hit Springer and Verlander puts a fast ball right on his elbow when he comes up.
This is why Josh James or someone else should get the Opening Day start. If they beam one of our guys, a 100mph FB right to the back should send the "we're not putting up with that" message.
tjack16
AG
bluefire579 said:

If MLB was smart, they'd begin every Astros game with instant warnings before a pitch is even thrown and issue statements about mandatory suspensions to nip this kind of **** in the bud.

no opposing pitchers will have a free shot at our hitters but the moment we retaliate our pitchers will get in trouble.
ac04
tjholley16 said:

bluefire579 said:

no opposing pitchers will have a free shot at our hitters but the moment we retaliate our pitchers will get in trouble.
that's not fair
tjack16
AG
ac04 said:

tjholley16 said:

bluefire579 said:

that's not fair
and you're surprised the MLB won't be fair with our team? lol
07ag
AG
Wabs said:

Sorry Ross, but these pitchers saying they are going to plunk Astros sound like little babies. You know what, please do plunk as many as you want. Free base runners and more suspensions for opposing pitchers.

How about batters throwing a bat at pitchers using substances to aid their pitching (like snitch Mike Fiers)?
Suspensions for opposing pitchers for hitting astro players? i literally cannot wait for the outcry when opposing pitchers get suspensions for hitting astros intentionally, but the astros players received zero suspensions for sign stealing
https://ts.la/eric59704
n_touch
Tony Kemp on sign stealing and being with the A's now.

Quote:

"I'm sure it helps a little that he wasn't" participating, Olson said, "but whether he was or wasn't, he's over here now and it's something that's in the past. I think that's a lot of people's stance: If he's on our team, we're going to go to battle with him regardless."

Not all players are gunning for the Astros.

Tony Kemp Didn't Participate
Deluxe
AG
bluefire579 said:

It's interesting because alot of the reason pitchers want retaliation is because the players didn't get punished by the commissioner. That means beaning one of our hitters is essentially an attack on the commissioner's decision. Hopefully Manfred will view it as such and not tolerate it. But again, seems like wishful thinking at this point.
n_touch
Quote:

It's interesting because alot of the reason pitchers want retaliation is because the players didn't get punished by the commissioner. That means beaning one of our hitters is essentially an attack on the commissioner's decision. Hopefully Manfred will view it as such and not tolerate it. But again, seems like wishful thinking at this point.
Pitchers are just looking to settle the score for all the teams that have been doing this. They are using the Astros because they can finally justify if they do hit a batter on purpose.

CFTXAG10
AG
Manfred won't stand for that ****, and I guarantee they tell every ump crew in advance to be on their toes when it comes to a series involving the Astros. All it takes is one misplaced fastball to end a guys career and ruin his life. The league has done a lot of shady stuff, including their handling of the sign-stealing, but they will get this part right if need be....

Edit to add:
We saw it w/ Marisnick last year. Angels tried to retaliate and damn near hit him in the head....
Deluxe
AG
Hope you're right
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
All of our players need to be wearing the Bagwell hand guards this season. For sure.
n_touch
This is a good article. Even from last year. I know its a rehash but so different from just a couple months ago to now.

High Tech Sign Stealing

Quote:

Sign stealing and sign relaying always has been a part of the game, but digital theft gained entry as an unintended consequence of instant replay expansion in 2014, several MLB sources agree, and has spread as rapidly as a computer virus ever since.
Quote:

Predictably, nobody in the game is willing to publicly finger those who were cheating or those whom they believe might be cheating. But given assurances of anonymity, several league sources indicate the Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks have been especially adept with technological surveillance. One source mentions the Cubs and Washington Nationals dabble a bit "but not as much as others." Another source says the Indians, while still another notes the Toronto Blue Jays and Texas Rangers once were suspected as well.
Quote:

Asked whether he saw things during the '17 World Series that made him suspicious, Dodgers manager Roberts pauses for several seconds before finally allowing, "I think the Astros did everything they possibly could to give themselves the best chance for success."
So, in that regard, did they do a little better job than did the Dodgers and other clubs?
"You know, it's all speculation," Roberts says. "There's no sour grapes. It's something we've heard a lot about from various teams. Honestly, it's kind of...we had our chances, you know?"
tjack16
AG
I wonder how big this scandal would have been in the pre social media days. I think it would be about as big as Spygate was for New England. Social media has blown this up so much more than normal.
astros4545
AG
03_Aggie said:

"At the right time, in the right place."

Seems code for I'm putting on a front about it.

Fake Aggies
Marvin
AG
Aggie or not, Ross Stripling can kiss my ass. I hope Bregman lights him up and pimp walks all the way back home.
bearkatag15
AG

Tyler is never short on words when it comes to his opinion...
bearkatag15
AG

I love that a Dodger fan put this together..
n_touch
n_touch
Funny that 6 of the 7 teams on there were included in that article that I posted earlier. Really makes you think
. . .
Tyler Bauer:
Quote:

"They are hypocrites, they are cheaters, they've stolen from a lot of other people and the game itself was completely unfair."

"You guys think you are better than everyone and you don't have to abide by the rules? **** you. You know? That's how I feel about their whole operation."

"If Mike Fiers doesn't come out and say something, nothing gets done. Nothing -- even though all the players know this **** is going on, it's the worst kept secret in baseball."

Bauer on Crain: "'We don't think it affected the game.' You're either lying or you're a ****ing idiot. And don't become a billionaire owner of a team by being a ****ing idiot. So, you're lying."

Bauer: "Oh, we're coming up in four or five days, you're going to see pitchers throwing live BP with an L-screen in front of them because the hitters know what's coming. Because it's ****ing dangerous."

Bauer said he hasn't heard from Manfred or MLB about his comments earlier this week: "No. What are they going to say? It's the ****ing truth. "

"You think I have something valuable or you're mad at me or something like that, then come talk to me. He can find me. What's he going to be mad about? The truth?"

Bauer on the state of the game: "We have the best group of players the game has ever had, the most talented, the fastest, the most athletic. Just the packaging is terrible. "
Pahdz
His last statement is dead on
Beat40
Pahdz said:

His last statement is dead on

It's terrible because in reality it's the west and East coast teams the media really cares about. It's also terrible because MLB turns its head at almost every instance of cheating every year and let's that same west/east coast media push it around when they think they're teams have been wronged.

No media member wants to ask Bellinger his feelings towards Mookie and Betts because they help that west coast team.
Pahdz
I think you're missing what he's referring to. MLB is the worst professional league in the world at promoting it's product and making it easy to see it and access it.
agproducer
AG
n_touch said:

Do want.
Pahdz
Can someone make this shirt where the bat is replaced by a trash can?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/47-mens-houston-astros-come-and-take-it-t-shirt
n_touch
rolling trashcan or any trashcan? Do we have any idea what it looked like?

03_Aggie
n_touch said:

rolling trashcan or any trashcan? Do we have any idea what it looked like?

Uh, there are actually pictures of the set up on the Internet.
. . .
n_touch
The stats do not back up any of his arguments. No one lost jobs or lost out of the all star race because of this. In fact looking at the stats for the years 2017-2019 it honestly does not show that it made that much of a difference.

In fact they were a much better road team if you look at the whole stat line from 2017. Same with 2018-2019. Can you definitively say that it did not affect the outcome of the game? Not at all, but looking at how they played on the road, you can assume that by averages that if it did affect the outcome of the game, it did so in a negative manner.

This is of course unless you believe that they had a method for not only hat home, but had a better set up on the road.

redline248
AG
Quote:

I try not to interfere or interject myself into anyone else's affairs

Isn't that exactly what he did with Manfred and the proposed playoff stuff, as well as about the Astros punishment?

He can get f_cked

Edit: OK, I just read a little further and he completely does exactly what he just said he doesn't do. Bringing up Verlander/Osuna, or Ryan Braun. And he had the nerve to call other people hypocrites. He can get f_cked with a razor dildo
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.