*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,977 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Full court press on the Astros right now... hopefully the weak owner doesn't give in and offer the trophy back
k20dub
AG
n_touch
the last of the bohemians said:

Full court press on the Astros right now... hopefully the weak owner doesn't give in and offer the trophy back
Maybe he will be weak enough to just offer the team back?
Deluxe
AG
I don't think any of the articles today have been that bad for the Astros. If anything, I think the Beltran article was a net positive. And the WaPo one doesn't really say anything new, other than a few guys telling the Nats to "hide their signs at MMP" (which they should have been doing anyway).
Wabs
AG
Right now would be a good time for the Red Sox report to drop.....
Beat40
And this is why executives are some of the dumbest smart people in the world. Crane really thought taking what the MLB gave and sitting back would quell everything. He's an idiot for thinking that.

Should have gone on the offensive and fought back hard.

I do hope he's happy with the press he's receiving now. He's already shown he'll bend the knee and fire people. Maybe the media will make him fire Click. Maybe the media will make him trade away Springer, Altuve, JV, Bregman, and Correa. Maybe all it takes is getting rid of Osuna.

Yes, being dramatic, but it's frustrating executives never learn that giving in doesn't do anyone any good.
Ag_07
AG
The Athletic article is full of shlt we already knew.

Beltran was behind it along with Cora, he passed it on Yanks, blah blah blah.

I guess we didn't know McCann wanted to stop it but most of that article isn't ground breaking stuff.

Holler when the season starts.
astros4545
AG
McCann gave the eulogy for Beltrans glove around May 2017

Then Beltran had a lot more time on his hands in the dugout

Then we see the correlation of bangs happening in May 2017
Beat40
Deluxe said:

I don't think any of the articles today have been that bad for the Astros. If anything, I think the Beltran article was a net positive. And the WaPo one doesn't really say anything new, other than a few guys telling the Nats to "hide their signs at MMP" (which they should have been doing anyway).
Except for the WaPo article is an insinuation that we were still cheating in 2019, and in the WS. Isn't that how someone would likely interpret it? That's the point of the article.

Like some one said - there are so many freaking links to the Yankees in all of these articles, and here we are still talking about the Astros, not doing a darn thing about the Yankees.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Athletic article is full of shlt we already knew.

Beltran was behind it along with Cora, he passed it on Yanks, blah blah blah.

I guess we didn't know McCann wanted to stop it but most of that article isn't ground breaking stuff.

Holler when the season starts.
This. They seem to be regurgitating the story every day with some new little he said - he said. It's mainly Yankee writers....

Ready for the ****ing season to start.

CFTXAG10
AG
The WaPo article is trash. If anything it was an advantage for the Nats to protect their signs maybe even more than your average team would. So let's go slap the Dodgers and Tony Sipp with penalties for colluding with the Nats to win the World Series.
Deluxe
AG
You're probably right that the average non-Astros fan will interpret the article that way, but there really isn't anything of substance IMO. The Dodgers and Sipp advised the Nats to hide their signs at MMP. They knew the Astros had done stolen signs illegally in the past. Sounds like lots of people around baseball knew at that point anyway.
Wabs
AG
Beat40 said:

Deluxe said:

Except for the WaPo article is an insinuation that we were still cheating in 2019, and in the WS. Isn't that how someone would likely interpret it? That's the point of the article.

Like some one said - there are so many freaking links to the Yankees in all of these articles, and here we are still talking about the Astros, not doing a darn thing about the Yankees.
They can interpret anything they want at this point. MLB said they found no evidence of cheating in 2018 or 2019. You either believe the validity of MLB reports or you do not. Non-Astros fans seem to want to pick and choose what they want to believe from MLB - whatever helps "justify" why their team got "robbed".
safety guy
AG
Baseball is transient in that players move from team to team. They know what is going on so the fake outrage is amazing. Someone said earlier that the commissioner opened Pandora's box. Players and especially the media are fostering so much animosity that this is going to spill onto the field and perhaps the stands. Someone within the media or baseball needs to step up to quell this thing before it gets really ugly. But maybe that is what the media is after.
EagleAg19
This season can't get here any faster.
k20dub
AG
EagleAg19 said:

This season can't get here any faster.

God help us if we come out slow to start the season.
Bulldog73
AG
Yeah, I know a guy that's been around front offices (minor league player turned scout/low tier coach) for a while that's started coaching at the high school to be closer to family. As soon as the Astros beat the Rays, he showed me a tweet from a low level TB staffer to a Yankee staffer telling them to lookout for a camera in MM this year. He said it's been the worst kept secret in baseball for years, and although he couldn't stand Lunhow, he said the Astros weren't doing anything most other teams weren't also doing.
n_touch
Bulldog73 said:

Yeah, I know a guy that's been around front offices (minor league player turned scout/low tier coach) for a while that's started coaching at the high school to be closer to family. As soon as the Astros beat the Rays, he showed me a tweet from a low level TB staffer to a Yankee staffer telling them to lookout for a camera in MM this year. He said it's been the worst kept secret in baseball for years, and although he couldn't stand Lunhow, he said the Astros weren't doing anything most other teams weren't also doing.

Im sure someone would pay him for his info. Seems that there are a lot of stories like this but no one is coming forward
Farmer1906
AG
bluefire579 said:

Quote:

Both McCann and Beltrn played for the Yankees during the 2014, '15 and '16 seasons before joining the Astros in '17. But it was Beltrn who, according to multiple sources, told the Astros that their sign-stealing methods were "behind the times."
And we're still not investigating the Yankees?

That's it. Drop the ****ing hammer. Time to put a big fat "*" on all those early playoff exits.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Full video.

So many good points. Goes off on Manfred about the TV blackouts, cleats policy, centralized paid access to highlight clips, detriment of number 1 ranked seed having 6 days off before the playoffs start under this proposal, game length, and says Manfred doesn't understand media or how to market the game to young people.
Feel like this needs a bump for the evening crowd.
Exsurge Domine
This season is going to be gnarly, the animosity is at an all time high. I'm going to guess 6 brawls in the first 30 games of the season. No joke
Ag_07
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

lI'm going to guess 6 brawls in the first 30 games of the season. No joke

No way we get into a brawl every 5 games during the first month.

I'll take the under. I'm guessing it's 1 or 2 all year.
Exsurge Domine
Ag_07 said:

Exsurge Domine said:

Perhaps I over exaggerated. Will you take 6 purposefully hit batters?
n_touch
Exsurge Domine said:

Ag_07 said:

Exsurge Domine said:

Perhaps I over exaggerated. Will you take 6 purposefully hit batters?
Nope because they are all doing it. They are showing the right amount of outrage right now, but nothing will come from it.
Ag_07
AG
I think even that's a stretch. Guys like Stroman and Bauer have openly spoken out against us but have said they won't take it that far and have said their peace.

I think beaning batters is more a fan driven thing.
MAROON
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think even that's a stretch. Guys like Stroman and Bauer have openly spoken out against us but have said they won't take it that far and have said their peace.

I think beaning batters is more a fan driven thing.

Yep, because beaning our batters means your batters get beaned. Easy for fans to call for beaning, they don't have to dig into the batters box
astros4545
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B8cdXz7pyP6
redline248
AG
My favorite part of that Wapo article is how the Nats went around MM looking for cheating, didn't find anything...but that's probably bc we were so good at hiding it.

Great journalism
bearkatag15
AG
agproducer
AG
bearkatag15 said:

And, in the ESPN article, it mentions Musgrove saying he thinks the 2017 title is trained, yet fails to mention his quote about knowing other teams in the league were doing three same.
saltydog13
AG
damn I came to post that and was already beat to it.
W
AG
so for folks who are worried about hitters being beaned...

there are 6 players left in the starting lineup that played for the Astros in 2017:

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Yuli
Reddick
Correa

I think Springer & Altuve are too well-respected to be targeted. Reddick will be a part-time player that hits left-handed.

which means AB, Yuli, and Correa would be the likely retribution targets (if any)
W
AG
one potential pitcher to watch is Noe Ramirez. He's back with the Angels for 2020 and of course he was the guy that beaned Jake last year.

and the Astros play the Angels 7 times in the first two weeks of the season
W
AG
and speaking of Stroman...the Mets are at MMP for a short 2-game series April 7th & 8th.

maybe he'll get to put his money where his mouth is
First Page Last Page
Page 132 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.