*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,266 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Convenient timing to start rumors of playoff expansion the same day this guy files suit against the Astros

Absolutely terrible idea. We have the longest season. It should absolutely matter the most. Look at the NBA. So many fans don't care about the regular season because they let over half the league into the postseason.
bearkatag15
AG

Good write up on the potential new Cuban player, Pedro Manuel Leon

Quote:

Because of his age, experience and projection, there is a belief that Leon would be considered a top 5 pick if he were subject to the Draft. There is a case to be made that he would be the No. 1 overall selection because he is the age of a college junior.

Leon would be a valuable addition to the franchise if the deal comes to fruition. The Astros will not have a pick in the first or second round of the next two Drafts as part of the penalty for the sign-stealing investigation by Major League Baseball. They were not penalized on the international front.

As for Leon, he sported a .371 batting average with 15 home runs, a 1.220 OPS and seven stolen bases in 33 games for Mayabeque in Serie Nacional, Cuba's top professional league, in 2018. He was named to the 2018 Serie Nacional All-Star Game.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Bold move by Bauer straight up calling out Manfred. Spot on too.
spadilly
S
Can't say I ever thought I'd agree with him on anything, but here we are.
BigPuma
AG
spadilly said:

Can't say I ever thought I'd agree with him on anything, but here we are.
Werd
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Jackal99
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Bold move by Bauer straight up calling out Manfred. Spot on too.

That's probably gonna cost him a few bills.
iBrad
AG
In a way, I wish we had a Bauer-like player on our team that would open up about the sign stealing scandal and call out other teams, particularly those that we knew were doing it because we signed guys from those teams. Of course, we don't know what the players were told. I'm guessing they face a heavy suspension/fine if they do anything but apologize.
. . .
Quote:

Deluxe
AG
iBrad said:

In a way, I wish we had a Bauer-like player on our team that would open up about the sign stealing scandal and call out other teams, particularly those that we knew were doing it because we signed guys from those teams. Of course, we don't know what the players were told. I'm guessing they face a heavy suspension/fine if they do anything but apologize.
Yea, I'm guessing there's a pretty strict gag order on our players. It still seems possible to me that the commissioner agreed to leave a few things out of the report in exchange for full Astros cooperation (ie not calling out other teams) but who knows. Spring training starts next week so I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Teddy Perkins
AG

the last of the bohemians
Maybe this has been discussed, but Red Sox trade indicates they are preparing to lose lots of draft picks.
In other news, the Yankees are secretly plotting cheating claims against an NL team they believe will be in the World Series.
W
AG
Marwin is a free agent after the 2020 season. He's going to be very apologetic.

this will be a recurring theme for players
Deluxe
AG
That's an interesting angle on Musgrove. Current Astros players probably have some sort of gag order but former players are probably much more free to speak their minds. What I wouldn't give for a thorough Brian McCann interview right now.
Ag_07
AG
iBrad said:

I wish we had Bauer

FIFY
CFTXAG10
AG
I'd take a Bauer type in a heartbeat, time to fully embrace the villain role and bring on board anybody who could help perpetuate that mindset
Teddy Perkins
AG

Full video.

So many good points. Goes off on Manfred about the TV blackouts, cleats policy, centralized paid access to highlight clips, detriment of number 1 ranked seed having 6 days off before the playoffs start under this proposal, game length, and says Manfred doesn't understand media or how to market the game to young people.
k20dub
AG
The hits keep coming

https://theathletic.com/1600638/2020/02/11/details-emerge-about-carlos-beltrans-role-in-the-2017-astros-clubhouse-and-the-teams-sign-stealing-scheme/
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
k20dub
AG
Someone with a sub, give us the Sparknotes...

Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

"I was in my first year, man," former Astros pitcher Joe Musgrove, now with the Pirates, said in a Jan. 24 interview on MLB Network. "Along with (Alex) Bregman and a lot of those guys, and in your first year in the big leagues you're around guys like Beltrn and (Brian) McCann, some big names. And I'm not going to be the pitcher to walk up and tell 'em to knock it off."

Both McCann and Beltrn played for the Yankees during the 2014, '15 and '16 seasons before joining the Astros in '17. But it was Beltrn who, according to multiple sources, told the Astros that their sign-stealing methods were "behind the times."

During the season, small groups of Astros discussed their misgivings. McCann at one point approached Beltrn and asked him to stop, two members of the 2017 team said.

"He disregarded it and steamrolled everybody," one of the team members said. "Where do you go if you're a young, impressionable player with the Astros and this guy says, 'We're doing this'? What do you do?"

"What happened was Cora and Beltrn decided that this video room stuff Koch-Weser was doing (with Codebreaker) was just not working, inefficient, too slow," a person with direct knowledge of the investigation said. "They just had some lower-level guy put up this monitor and did it themselves."

"But it was two different things," that person continued. "The real kind of crime here was they didn't stop (in September) and the banging on the trash can was over the top compared to what happened before."

The front-office clearly had a role in developing the Astros' rule-breaking methods, and the environment in which those flourished. But the trash-can banging the sign-stealing main event originated with uniformed personnel.
BCSGrubber
AG
Carlos was a bully
YNWA_AG
AG
Beltran helped create the system with Cora, and as a respected veteran player, he drowned out any clubhouse voices who objected to the cheating. McCann is mentioned as one who objected
bluefire579
AG
Quote:

Both McCann and Beltrn played for the Yankees during the 2014, '15 and '16 seasons before joining the Astros in '17. But it was Beltrn who, according to multiple sources, told the Astros that their sign-stealing methods were "behind the times."
And we're still not investigating the Yankees?
CFTXAG10
AG
And in Beltran's mind he probably thought he was doing the right thing if the Astros really were "behind the times" in terms of sign stealing. He has a lot of friends in the league on other teams, played for the Cardinals and Yankees prior to arriving in Houston, and has been in MLB forever. He would know.
Deluxe
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

And in Beltran's mind he probably thought he was doing the right thing if the Astros really were "behind the times" in terms of sign stealing. He has a lot of friends in the league on other teams, played for the Cardinals and Yankees prior to arriving in Houston, and has been in MLB forever. He would know.

And Rangers
Deluxe
AG
bluefire579 said:

Quote:

And we're still not investigating the Yankees?
It's not like the Yankees hired him to some vague, publicly undefined consulting role in 2019
YNWA_AG
AG
Deluxe
AG
I think this is really good news. The more connection to Beltran, the more microscope the other teams he's associated with in the last 5-10 years should be under. And the less it seems like a systemic Astros problem and more like a bad guy who was a bad influence for one year.
amercer
AG
The reason the Astros still take the majority of the bad press will be that the info on the Yankees and other team will be from before the commissioner said to stop.
DVC2010
AG
amercer said:

The reason the Astros still take the majority of the bad press will be that the info on the Yankees and other team will be from before the commissioner said to stop.

Beltran didn't report anything back to the Yankees until after the 2017 season. Anything they did in response makes them just as guilty.
Wabs
AG
amercer said:

It's been illegal to use technology in the dugout since 2001. But only for realz illegal because of the memo in 2017? Any way MLB got serious about it when they saw the Yankees not making it to the WS?
Teddy Perkins
AG
n_touch
Teddy Perkins said:

Wow even former players were telling others?
First Page Last Page
Page 131 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.