*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,690 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll give him a chance
heavens11
AG
Bulldog73 said:

That or the only reason I'd consider it is to allow Bregman a year to adjust sliding back to his preferred location with a + partner on that side of the diamond while keeping the protection in the lineup.

I love Bregs but to me the difference in arm talent between him and Correa is very obvious. Too bad Correa can't stay on the field because he's really special
Marvin
AG
Better than Bannister, which was the absolute floor in my opinion. Worse than a number of other options. I'd call it a 3/10 hire if true.

MAROON
AG
It's amazing to me that Crane has made a fortune based on his recent decisions since the Commissioner's report came out.
bluefire579
AG
****ing hell
RO519
AG
BMX Bandit
Baker seems like he has a history of doing great things in year 1 &2. That's just what this team needs. Not my first choice, but don't think it's a disaster by any means
W
AG
large shipment of toothpicks just arrived at MMP
W
AG
as previously mentioned...Dusty is 70 years old. I think he would just be a 2-year or so fill-in.

his style will fit with the existing clubhouse
Mr.Ackar07
W said:

as previously mentioned...Dusty is 70 years old. I think he would just be a 2-year or so fill-in.

his style will fit with the existing clubhouse
If we wanted a fill in, we should have gone out and gotten Davey Johnson. That Aggie was into analytics before analytics became a thing. At least he would be open to front office implementations.
Frok
AG
Not a fan of this hire at all.
ClickClack
AG
Well, back to the way things used to be pre-2012. At least it's not bannister. Say what you want but that guy is a meathead.
The Milkman
AG
Dusty (if true) would just be a short time bandaid to get us through the ****storm we're facing.
Cynic
Jim Crane needs to go. He hired Luhnow which was good. But now he is clearly showing that he will never win another championship.

BMX Bandit
Cynic said:

Jim Crane needs to go. He hired Luhnow which was good. But now he is clearly showing that he will never win another championship.

good luck with that plan

ClickClack
AG
Everyone saying this is a short term hire...why would we hire a guy with the intent to fire him in 2 years? I call BS. He's either going to win a lot of games and be our manager for the foreseeable future or we are lackluster and he's gone in a few years.
bearkatag15
AG
The Milkman said:

Dusty (if true) would just be a short time bandaid to get us through the ****storm we're facing.
Hopefully that is true... After he left the Giants and Nationals, they each won a World Series within 2 years of his departure...
cap-n-jack
An aesthetics hire. Look at us, we're contrite.
BCSGrubber
AG
At least we know he won't pull our starters early, right?
W
AG
yes, it will be interesting to see what happens with all the analytics stuff.

and right from the get-go with Trout, Rendon, and Pujols coming to MMP to start the season. Will there be shifts and intentional walks?
W
AG
hey, so it will be 65-year old Joe Maddon (Angels) vs. 70-year old Dusty Baker (Astros) to start the season.

didn't see that matchup coming 3 months ago
gigemJTH12
AG
is it confirmed anywhere? there are people refuting Nightengale
E
bearkatag15
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

is it confirmed anywhere? there are people refuting Nightengale
No local reporters are confirming anything yet. The team probably doesn't want it out yet but Nightengale probably got info from Dusty's agent or something.
The Beef01
AG
I think it's hilarious that Jim Crane is suddenlydumb and in over his head...reminds me of when he was "in over his head" b/c he let MLB force them into the AL and then failed at stealing Andrew Friedman from Tampa and had to settle on a no-name assistant GM with the Cards (b/c the job was so toxic).

Seems to me that maybe Crane knows what he is doing in terms of building/rebuilding a management structure....but, by all means, head for the cliffs b/c you also likely root for the team owned by the McNair family and the similarities are clearly legion.
spadilly
S
MuckRaker96 said:

Astros hire dusty baker

I thought the punishments were already handed out.
. . .
astros4545
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Cynic said:

good luck with that plan

Someone needs to petition the owner to fire Crane

Who is with me
Deluxe
AG
Maybe discussions between Dusty/Astros heated up but two sides were far apart on an agreement. Then Dusty's agent leaked to Nightengale that it's basically a done deal to put pressure on Astros to meet their demands, knowing that baseball media would slam the Astros if they backtrack on hiring an African American manager.
BMX Bandit
Insert eye roll emoji
shano0603
AG
Holy cow. You'd think our entire team was just Blacksoxed by reading this thread. With a team of this talent, the manager doesn't a make a huge difference.

I'm not a big fan of this hire, but who else were we supposed to go get?
iBrad
AG
Deluxe said:

Maybe discussions between Dusty/Astros heated up but two sides were far apart on an agreement. Then Dusty's agent leaked to Nightengale that it's basically a done deal to put pressure on Astros to meet their demands, knowing that baseball media would slam the Astros if they backtrack on hiring an African American manager.
Ironing out the details of his retirement following year two.
The Milkman
AG
Cynic said:

Do you know owning a team works?
iBrad
AG
Given the state of things...
  • The optics of a Baker hire are good (longtime baseball guy, respected, minority)
  • He knows how to deal with controversies (coached Barry Bonds)
  • He knows how to deal with egos (coach Barry Bonds)
  • He's not a long-term solution, allowing the Astros to move on, likely without firing him...hell, if we win the World Series this year, he might retire
  • As long as he keeps Strom, I think we're alright with this hire

Let's face it, the guys you really want to lead this club are currently employed and not leaving their clubs in Jan/Feb. Of the guys we interviewed, was anyone really going to satisfy you long term? It's not my favorite hire, but if it turns out to be Dusty, I can tolerate it more than some of the others.
Texaggie7nine
Biggio or bust!!!
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.