*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,428 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Bregs engaged.
awesome for him. Hope he was there for the X games and to WATCH other people ski.
JJxvi
AG
A player's contract will generally not allow them to ski.
The Beef01
AG
safety guy said:

I find it funny that the dodgers are calling out the Astros for cheating. Their pitching coach at that time, Rick Honeycutt was actually suspended as a player for having a tack in his glove while pitching. It's baseball. Everyone is trying to get an edge. So what. The Astros got caught and punished. People should not act like the sport is pure otherwise.

The Dodgers and their fans have gotten awfully chirpy and seem to forget that they have been accused left and right of cheating over the last couple of years. Watching their fans on Twitter has been therapeutic though... the lack of self-awareness combined with blithering ignorance of what was alleged to have taken place is absolutely laughable.

I've seen them pile on Verlander for "cheating" and continued reference to the cheating doing Yu Darvish in...ya'know, in their ballpark.

Almost as funny as dumbass Freddie Freeman trying doing an interview blaming the Astros for ruining the career of one of his buddies...after he was lit up in Atlanta in 2018 by the Astros. He literally went 0-for-2 there as the allegations weren't from 2018 and they were only at MMP. Didn't stop half wits from running with it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Supposedly Utley was their Beltran (in terms of picking up tendencies and likely sign stealing), and he retired after last season. Will be interesting to see what happens to their offense without him around.
bearkatag15
AG
The Athletic put out an article explaining the 8 most likely teams to trade for Arenado... Astros are one of those teams.

Quote:

Realistically, there are approximately eight teams that could make sense as a trade partner for the Rockies due to either prospect inventory, a team's need at third base or the financial wherewithal to take on his enormous contract. The Yankees, Astros and Rangers are the only American League teams that could make a feasible trade. In the National League, the Braves, Dodgers, Cardinals, Nationals and Cubs appear to be possible matches.

Houston Astros

On the surface, the Astros don't look like a fit for an Arenado deal. However, when you dig deeper and realize they haven't extended Carlos Correa's contract, it might make sense for them to make a trade offer centered around him. The Astros could move Alex Bregman back to his original and favorite position, shortstop, and insert Arenado at third base. Of course Correa, like Arenado, is only controllable through 2021. The Rockies could put Correa at third base to replace Arenado or move him to second base and flip-flop him with top rookie infielder Brendan Rodgers or Ryan McMahon, who started at second base last season. The Rockies would need to get more than Correa in the trade, but he could be the centerpiece. Perhaps the deal could get done with a young pitcher like Jos Urquidy or Josh James and another lower-level prospect.

redline248
AG
I almost posted about that article until I read it. Useless speculation, imo
bearkatag15
AG
Not Astros related but will impact the team. This will be interesting to follow.

W
AG
the bills have come due for the Red Sox.

can't keep signing guys...namely old guys...to long-term mega-contracts in the $20 MM, $30 MM, or greater range
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

The Athletic put out an article explaining the 8 most likely teams to trade for Arenado... Astros are one of those teams.

Quote:

Realistically, there are approximately eight teams that could make sense as a trade partner for the Rockies due to either prospect inventory, a team's need at third base or the financial wherewithal to take on his enormous contract. The Yankees, Astros and Rangers are the only American League teams that could make a feasible trade. In the National League, the Braves, Dodgers, Cardinals, Nationals and Cubs appear to be possible matches.

Houston Astros

On the surface, the Astros don't look like a fit for an Arenado deal. However, when you dig deeper and realize they haven't extended Carlos Correa's contract, it might make sense for them to make a trade offer centered around him. The Astros could move Alex Bregman back to his original and favorite position, shortstop, and insert Arenado at third base. Of course Correa, like Arenado, is only controllable through 2021. The Rockies could put Correa at third base to replace Arenado or move him to second base and flip-flop him with top rookie infielder Brendan Rodgers or Ryan McMahon, who started at second base last season. The Rockies would need to get more than Correa in the trade, but he could be the centerpiece. Perhaps the deal could get done with a young pitcher like Jos Urquidy or Josh James and another lower-level prospect.

I dont know if I'd make that deal. Especially if both Correa and Arenado are only controllable through 2021.

If Correa could stay healthy then he's as good as Arenado. So I guess It all depends on if you're willing to bet on Correa playing 140+ games.
Bulldog73
AG
That or the only reason I'd consider it is to allow Bregman a year to adjust sliding back to his preferred location with a + partner on that side of the diamond while keeping the protection in the lineup.
astros4545
AG
If both healthy, Correa = Arenado on the field
Farmer1906
AG
Hard pass from me.
W
AG
very, very risky to assume Arenado would opt out after 2021.

he would be walking away from:

$35 MM in 2022
$35 MM in 2023
$35 MM in 2024
and
$32 MM in 2025.

who else or where else is he going to get almost $140 MM guaranteed from 2022 to 2025?

he's not going to opt out. Would be a terrible idea to take on that contract
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Astros hire dusty baker
Ag13
AG
JJxvi
AG
Well, Im out. Good luck to the thread.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Astros hire dusty baker

boo-urns
gigemJTH12
AG
Literally the worst hire of all the possible hires.

what the ****.

unreal stupidity.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Oof.

Again, don't think it really matters... but he was my least favorite of the potential names.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
No shifts, lots of IBBs, Altuve leadoff, springer 4 or 5 hole

Basically I he exact opposite of everything that has been successful
Mr.Ackar07
I guess that we can now expect Verlander and McCullers to both have Tommy John surgery this year.
Ag_07
AG
Jesus Christ
HvilleAggie
AG
[url=<div][/url]

irish pete ag06
AG
Can we just go ahead and rebuild?
irish pete ag06
AG
How about we just go ahead and hire Dave Dombrowski too.
agproducer
AG
With Baker, the championship window isn't closed, but it is now closing. I wonder how this will affect the Vegas odds.
Ag_07
AG
This will certainly put the hypothesis that any manager can win 80-90 games with this roster to the test.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
JJxvi said:

Well, Im out. Good luck to the thread.

Bullshlt
agproducer
AG
Baker is also 70 years old, so maybe he is just a patch until the new GM is hired, gets his feet under him, then hires who he wants.

At this point, I would have taken John Farrell.
k20dub
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
Jesus H Christ Crane...... Dumbest rich **** I know
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

No shifts, lots of IBBs, Altuve leadoff, springer 4 or 5 hole

Basically I he exact opposite of everything that has been successful

There's just no way this will happen.
Ag13
AG
k20dub said:

hmm looks like the USA Today tweet I posted was deleted. Jumping the gun?
aTm2004
AG
Baker? Seriously?

EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.