*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,144 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know about Ausmus.

his teams have basically stunk every year except 2014 with Detroit...then the Tigers were swept in the ALDS.

the Jake incident last year was a bad one. Maybe JV would vouch for him.

who would he hit in the 2-hole? That's where he put his best player (Trout)
iBrad
AG
What if Hinch actually wasn't helping us succeed and was costing us victories? We like him for our team success, but how much was because of him?

It's not out of the realm of possibilities for someone to have even more success with this roster or at least match it.

I was a huge fan of Hinch, but it's not like he figured out some magical managerial style to help us win 100 games. We've been one of the most talented teams in the league for three years now. We just need a guy leading the team that won't screw it up.
Pahdz
that's often where we've had our best hitter
bullard21k
AG
iBrad said:

What if Hinch actually wasn't helping us succeed and was costing us victories? We like him for our team success, but how much was because of him?

It's not out of the realm of possibilities for someone to have even more success with this roster or at least match it.

I was a huge fan of Hinch, but it's not like he figured out some magical managerial style to help us win 100 games. We've been one of the most talented teams in the league for three years now. We just need a guy leading the team that won't screw it up.

I think hinchs use of bullpens and this constant rotation of giving days off regardless of situation was silly and at times down right dumb.

Guys been in a slump for 2 months...then has a 4-5 night and "rests "the next day bc it was scheduled. I mean give me a break have a feel for the game already. I'm not a hinch fan and think it would be pretty difficult for hardly any manager to mess up this roster last few years. I just don't think hinch was anything special and we won despite him at times. Also kind of strikes me as a *****.

Having said that I'd take him over any of trash we have interviewed to this point without hesitation.

You think hinch overmanages and over thinks a bullpen? Dusty baker says hold my beer
Ag_07
AG
Trout hit in the 2 hole before Ausmus

And I'm not gonna judge him on his record with mostly terrible DET team and one year with an awful LAA team.

Again he's not ideal but given the other options I can get behind him.
irish pete ag06
AG
Bannister > Ausmus.

There, I said it.
Mathguy64
AG
I would take Ausmus over meathead.
bigjag19
AG
DK with a measured and correct response. I liked it. Yeah we did it, but why was everyone including us using multiple signs?

I'm fine with Ausmus.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Ausmus fits the bill of ties back to the Astros glory days and checks that box. He is just missing the playoff managerial experience.

Why is that a box at all?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It seems Crane is super concerned about the PR angle. That's why he's looked at managers who could help smooth things over. Checking the box of ties back to glory days would check the box of positive PR and could win back some casual fans.

I'm not saying it's right, but it could help some upset fans reconnect with the team.

It doesn't really matter, but you can tell Crane right now is concerned by public opinion.
Ag_07
AG
He may be worried about PR as far as how he and his players respond but I don't think it's a factor in the managerial search.

He wants a no nonsense hard nosed manager with ML experience so they can whether the shlt storm that is gonna be ST and the 2020 season. He doesn't want a newbie who then not has to learn how to manage and run a team but also deal with all the BS that they'll be dealing with.

And to me that makes sense
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Bannister > Ausmus.

There, I said it.

That ain't saying much though.
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

I would take Ausmus over meathead.

Ausmus has had many a meathead moments as a manager as well.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ausmus couldn't properly manage a room full of sleeping puppies.
agdaddy04
AG
superaggie73 said:

Bilbo with the drive by and no more detail

With how many people have been let go in the Texans F.O. over the past several years, I'm genuinely curious who he is.
Frok
AG
Fiers getting ready to talk?

Farmer1906
AG
Everyone from Detroit has a very low opinion of Brad. The fact LA only gave him a year is pretty telling too. Plus he just had a player die on his team. I'm not blaming it on Brad, but he was probably somewhat aware of the drug abuse
Ag_07
AG
The only reason LA have him one year was because Maddon became available.

Before that happened his seat wasn't even hot.
Farmer1906
AG
If there is someone out there that much better than you then you're probably not that good.
Texaggie7nine
So this add is showing up on my facebook feed

https://astros-scandal.qualified-case.com
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Yeah he's not that good. But between the other options is take him.

He may be a bad manager but with Ausmus at least I can see myself cheering for him.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Frok said:

Fiers getting ready to talk?

Not finding a link to video though.
Mathguy64
AG
Fiers will be digging himself one deep ass hole.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Sounds like he doesn't want to talk about it? Hard to hear.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

So basically...

Ag_07
AG
Hey Mike...Didn't have a problem flapping your jaws behind the protection of Drellich. Now we wanna hear straight from you and your silent?

And when are you gonna mail your WS ring back to Houston?
Bregxit
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Sounds like he doesn't want to talk about it? Hard to hear.
What a little *****. **** that guy.
Mathguy64
AG
Fiers should not be given the opportunity to hide and stay silent. The media needs to hound him for all it's worth and hammer him for being a rat and then hiding.

What a freaking tool. Needs to have the crap beaten out of himself.
Ag_07
AG
Such bullshlt

He thought it was such a stain on the game that he needed to speak up then he gets his chance and crawfishes.

Man up and double down. Tell us you're glad the game is cleaning up. Tell us you're glad MLB stepped up. Tell us you agree with the punishments.

You wanted a platform...Well here it is.

[/rantover]
redline248
AG
I'm afraid that what I want to post about Fiers wussing out of this will earn me another vacation.

Friggin little b----
Philip J Fry
AG
Give up your damn ring, mother****er.
Farmer1906
AG
He took a team with 4 Cy Young level pitchers and a line up with Miggy, JD, Victor Martinez, Torino Hunter, Kingsley, and manages to only win 90 games and get swept in the playoffs. That was his best season ever. Inside hire would be my choice. Bannister is the best option of the names floated.
Post removed:
by user
DVC2010
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

I'd be good with Ausmus as manager. He is an Astro. He's always been an Astro. The incident with Jake -- he was just defending his guys. I have no issue with that.

Ausmus has been the manager of two teams with aging and past-their-prime stars who were often hurt.

He embraces analytics, but also has an old-school mentality.

I made the argument earlier in this thread the Astros should consider Phil Garner to help right the ship. Garner guided the teams in the 2000s to the playoffs and the WS. So, he has ties to the old Astros glory days, and the fans have always seemed to like him.

Ausmus fits the bill of ties back to the Astros glory days and checks that box. He is just missing the playoff managerial experience.

Why is that a box at all?

Also, the Astros' glory days are right now.
Ags #1
AG
Lol. I just clicked On the rangers thread on accident a d they are saying we are the sole reason we cost people their jobs and such. Just like sosa and mcguire did in the 90s
Wabs
AG
Ags #1 said:

Lol. I just clicked On the rangers thread on accident a d they are saying we are the sole reason we cost people their jobs and such. Just like sosa and mcguire did in the 90s
I didn't realize that there were so many players that came up to the big leagues in 2017 and only faced the Astros, then got cut/canned/fired.

Does anyone have the compete list?
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.